Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We're getting two new Things at work, Things 8 and 9. They are meant to replace Thing 5.

Thing 5 is a project organization tool. It wasn't great, but it did what it advertised and we were all used to it. I would describe it as solidly not bad. Last I checked, I had about 50,000 technical documents for several projects in Thing 5. Part of my job is to meticulously organize, cross-reference, and make presentable the unbridled chaos of these documents. It's years worth of work product for years-long projects. Sometimes this takes a lot of time. It's not my only job function but it sure does suck up a lot of time to get this stuff into a presentable state.

We - those of us who lead these project teams - have had no notice that they were getting rid of Thing 5 on December 31. I didn't know about it at all until one of the administrative assistants started bitching about having to move everything out of Thing 5. Apparently they were simply instructed to migrate everything from Thing 5 to either Thing 8 or Thing 9. The admins, collectively, decided to only use Thing 8 and ignore Thing 9. The migration has to be completed before December 31, which is a hard shut-down date of Thing 5.

There is no time to train anyone on Thing 8, so they're simply stripping raw data out of Thing 5 and plopping it into Thing 8. We're losing all of our work product. All of our work product in Thing 5. Again, we team leaders have had zero input into this process, or even bare notice of this process. If we want to preserve any work product from Thing 5 in Thing 8, we need to manually enter it line by line and page by page. The only way anyone's figured out how to do this is to have Thing 5 open on one monitor, and Thing 8 open on the other monitor, manually and slowly flipping pages. We're not going to scratch the surface of migrating all of our work product. We're going to struggle to meet the deadline of transferring over the raw data. They have to produce terabytes of raw data out of Thing 5 into the F:\ drive, then manually upload it into Thing 8. We have had no training, no process, no consultation, no IT support, nothing.

I'm staring down the barrel of losing years worth of work and pushing back all of my deadlines while I duplicate tedious monotonous poo poo that took me forever to do.

I want to be fair. The idiots above us did arrange training with Thing 8's company. There are four slots, two of which are in January. Maximum attendance of 20 per. The training will not be recorded and will not be made available to the other 640 employees.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is why I use excel and will never ever put things into another system if it is me having to do it.

Ive been involved with 7 different data migrations across my jobs to the same vendor system and not one of them has ever been completed. The most recent time I didn't even pretend to collaborate and just bluntly said all I would provide was raw files and all work was on someone else. Its been 1.5 years and they still can't get the system to match the totals on the excels and they have 4 people theoretically full time working on it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

I'm still convinced one of the servers has bad memory since this is an intermittent problem that goes away for months then comes back hard for weeks straight, but I'm also an operator so.

Bad memory should get caught by ECC and the server should yell about it and refuse to boot or at least drop that bank.

*checks which thread I’m in*

The “server” is running on consumer grade hardware, isn’t it?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Bad memory should get caught by ECC and the server should yell about it and refuse to boot or at least drop that bank.

My last company had a bunch of key customer data sitting on a consumer grade desktop on the floor of a 'server room'. The server room was an cupboard with consumer grade aircon, super staticy carpet, and a door that had swollen and wouldn't close.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Production environment Lack rack.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

cynic posted:

My last company had a bunch of key customer data sitting on a consumer grade desktop on the floor of a 'server room'. The server room was an cupboard with consumer grade aircon, super staticy carpet, and a door that had swollen and wouldn't close.

Oh, and the 'backup' was a cheapy NAS that sat on the head of departments desk. No idea if it was encrypted or anything. At least there was an attempt made at backups though, it could have been worse. Oh this was a cyber security/MSP company, so they definitely should have known better.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Knowing is only half the battle.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

cynic posted:

Oh, and the 'backup' was a cheapy NAS that sat on the head of departments desk. No idea if it was encrypted or anything. At least there was an attempt made at backups though, it could have been worse. Oh this was a cyber security/MSP company, so they definitely should have known better.

Did you work for Rudy Giuliani?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Since annual review season is coming up, I'd just like to take this moment to say that the 9-box is the worst employee evaluation method I have encountered. Somehow it manages to simultaneously be too fiddly and detailed, and too low-resolution.

People can't even agree on what each box means. The same box that, to one manager, means "this employee is doing all right but could be even better with some specialized coaching" might mean "this employee is hopeless and I'm insulted to have been saddled with such a piece of poo poo" to another manager. Ditto for "this employee is meeting assigned goals quite well" and "this employee is the most brilliant human being I have ever encountered".

e: And don't even get me loving started on the subtle distinction between performance and potential.

The key to a 9 box is figuring out how your boss and boss's box interprets them and just fill them out that way. It's a largely useless exercise in almost all companies because nobody gets a meaningful raise and definitely not a promotion unless someone above them is trading political capital to make it happen.

It's not clear to me if the seemingly earnest people in HR running this process know that or not as they're usually the most junior there.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatsestretchgoals posted:

it's a server, but all the long-time IT people either got laid off in the first round of COVID layoffs or about 6 months ago when the factory closure drawdown started, there's like 1 dude and he was frantically calling Germany and Ireland about it lol

pretty sure our IT person is one of the last remaining non-prod engineers just doing it because he has to

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Someone asked for my help installing some new sensors in a test system and get everything wired correctly. Now it's time to configure the old panel for the new measurements. I ask if they have any calibration procedures.
"Huh?"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salami Surgeon posted:

Someone asked for my help installing some new sensors in a test system and get everything wired correctly. Now it's time to configure the old panel for the new measurements. I ask if they have any calibration procedures.
"Huh?"

try and get in contact with metrology

lmao even if metro exists they are not going to get back to you

edit: metro at my old plant did calibration/validation stuff during our xmas shutdown like, you know, validating the glass depyrogenation tunnels that feed sterile glass to a bottle filler in a cleanroom. Those guys were too lazy to read and sign off on the first 3 SOPs that a production op signs off on and made enough/were critical enough to get away with it, though; so the 6 hours I interacted with metrology a year involved me being forced to come into work at 2AM over Christmas shutdown, on a day I took PTO, to start up and heat up a tunnel, run a package of vials spiked with a lab strain of e.coli stuffed with TCs through it, then shut it down and make sure it was off. I never had to deal with a validation failure but I knew guys that did and lol @ being called into 3 consecutive 12s that you took PTO for.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 16, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Your task has been completed, leave them to their failure.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

try and get in contact with metrology

lmao even if metro exists they are not going to get back to you

Lmao yeah metrology

Apparently their way of calibrating this before was eventually installing a 2nd test system, then assuming that installation was wrong and the original one was correct, and as long as the 2nd one read 3% off then everything was correct.

We reconfigured the 2nd system with the new sensors.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My company just sent out a notice that pretty much amounted to COVID is over. Even vaccinated people don’t get extra sick time if the pop positive and have to isolate. At least most of the managers in my departments are pretty good about letting people stay home the two days a week they are supposed to be in the office if they are showing any generic cold/flu symptoms.

Executive management made a big deal about 4% raises (as opposed to standard 2.5%) next March. I wonder if they will start mandating more time in the office soon. There are a hell of a lot of openings they can’t seem to fill already, but senior leadership around here is just old school enough to push for something like that. I can only imagine the mass exodus at that point.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Was in an all-hands this week where the PM was openly bewildered that every single person they've tried to hire this year is only interested in working remotely. "It's a problem!"

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Buttchocks posted:

Jerks: We're rejecting your expense report. You categorized these as 'billable' when they should be 'chargeable'.

Me: What's the difference between billable and chargeable?

Jerks: An expense can't be billable unless it's also chargeable, but if it's not billable it can still be chargeable. If it's neither billable nor chargeable you need to change the client code to 'company', but we haven't implemented that in the system yet. If it's billable and chargeable but shouldn't be included on the invoice, change the company code to 'client'. If it's billable but not chargeable, but you want it on the invoice anyway, contact the billing department.

Me: That doesn't explain the difference. Also, what?

Jerks: Oh look the system is down again thanks for calling try again next week after the helpline gets assigned a new phone number that we won't announce anywhere. Also we won't reimburse these if they're filed past the deadline that ends at noon today. *click*

so fuckin sick of people's "systems"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

my work has totally overhauled the annual leave booking system to make it easier and better.

which it is, if you work monday to friday 7.5 hours a day.

I work 10.5 hours shifts on a 4-on 4-off basis including weekends, I have been unable to book leave for the past 2 months.

asked my boss what I should do and his reply "I'm sick of bringing this up and trying to get this sorted, just agree your leave between yourselves, as long as there's a person sat in the shift manager chair I honestly couldn't give a gently caress anymore"

this is not a small company with a handful of employees

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

we got 4 extra days off at the holidays in lieu of bonuses this year :toot: i saved pto all year so i could take those days, and it doesn't roll over *horns.aiff*

ceo sure did make sure to reiterate 3 times that each of those days off costs the company $35,000 (?) tacky as gently caress

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

BigHead posted:

If we want to preserve any work product from Thing 5 in Thing 8, we need to manually enter it line by line and page by page. The only way anyone's figured out how to do this is to have Thing 5 open on one monitor, and Thing 8 open on the other monitor, manually and slowly flipping pages.

Time for RPA. Good luck.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Bearing in mind that I signed on for what was supposed to be a MTWR 4x10 job,

We've been working two Fridays out of three for 2 years now, and since October have gone to every Friday plus at least two Saturdays, all 12s

Yesterday they decided we're going to need to come in this Saturday and Sunday, too. I volunteered for Sunday because I already have plans Saturday. My boss decided that to cover Saturday, he'd call my partner in off his vacation, instead of doing it his own goddamn self.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Bearing in mind that I signed on for what was supposed to be a MTWR 4x10 job,

We've been working two Fridays out of three for 2 years now, and since October have gone to every Friday plus at least two Saturdays, all 12s

Yesterday they decided we're going to need to come in this Saturday and Sunday, too. I volunteered for Sunday because I already have plans Saturday. My boss decided that to cover Saturday, he'd call my partner in off his vacation, instead of doing it his own goddamn self.

Dumb poo poo your partner does: answers a phone call from the boss when you're on PTO

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Orvin posted:

My company just sent out a notice that pretty much amounted to COVID is over. Even vaccinated people don’t get extra sick time if the pop positive and have to isolate. At least most of the managers in my departments are pretty good about letting people stay home the two days a week they are supposed to be in the office if they are showing any generic cold/flu symptoms.

Executive management made a big deal about 4% raises (as opposed to standard 2.5%) next March. I wonder if they will start mandating more time in the office soon. There are a hell of a lot of openings they can’t seem to fill already, but senior leadership around here is just old school enough to push for something like that. I can only imagine the mass exodus at that point.

Mine said "we're no longer approving moves outside the metro area, and while we're not doing anything to people who moved, any new people have to agree to at least 3 days a week in office. Also, everyone who is remotely local has to come in 2 days a month."

This is apparently because our VP has a higher percentage of fully remote people than other groups.

No, it doesn't matter that we meet or exceed every single productivity target every single week and are posting record high engagement surveys.

The team is mostly not happy about this development, and we just lost the sr spec who was taking care of a bunch of QA, weird internal escalations, and helping with the redesign of an internal website that is running on something we should have stopped using before even creating said site.

Guess who gets the bulk of that now?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

blackmet posted:

Someone who is also looking elsewhere presumably?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

This is why I use excel and will never ever put things into another system if it is me having to do it.

Ive been involved with 7 different data migrations across my jobs to the same vendor system and not one of them has ever been completed. The most recent time I didn't even pretend to collaborate and just bluntly said all I would provide was raw files and all work was on someone else. Its been 1.5 years and they still can't get the system to match the totals on the excels and they have 4 people theoretically full time working on it.

Excel superiority.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Barudak posted:

I worked in a similar place except it was the Danish State Tax Authority and we spent six months trying out one tool and ended up dropping the whole thing in favor of nothing.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Barudak posted:

Pretty much the entire brewing industry functions on Excel/Google Docs except for a few places that are either extremely large or have IT guys with a big budget. Then the brewing software guys raise their prices by 400% for no good reason or the company goes under, and the rest of us just go "lol".

On the other hand, then one of the company owners bickers with the head brewer on Slack for an hour over whether a new item should be a new document or just a new tab in an existing sheet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

Pretty much the entire brewing, financial, manufacturing, etc industries functions on Excel/Google Docs

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Not surprising, spreadsheets were the original IBM PC’s killer app after all.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I worked at an electronics place years ago. We had an automated calibration system for three complex gadgets at a time, involving multiple pieces of very expensive test equipment.
The dude that put it all together wrote his own API for the equipment and automated everything in Excel / VBA.

Lol

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

goatface posted:

8 hours? Nah, find/create some other jobs that "can't wait" and duck out for a decent chunk.

It does give you the option of reporting whatever opinions about beer you decide they should have.

When I used to work in a theaterpub, I found that "volunteering" to sweep out the walk-in fridges/freezers or organizing the keg room was a good way to avoid actual work.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

At my last job we had a warehouse guy who refused to use the ERP system and hacked together his own godawful inventory management system with Excel, VBA and Dropbox, all because he didn’t like the ERP system’s mobile app. It wouldn’t have bothered me so much if he hadn’t gotten pissy with me because I refused to support it.

I try to put a stop to shadow IT wherever I see it but if you insist on rolling your own tools, support becomes your problem.

Why yes he’s still working for them why do you ask

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 16, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

blackmet posted:

Mine said "we're no longer approving moves outside the metro area, and while we're not doing anything to people who moved, any new people have to agree to at least 3 days a week in office. Also, everyone who is remotely local has to come in 2 days a month."

This is apparently because our VP has a higher percentage of fully remote people than other groups.

No, it doesn't matter that we meet or exceed every single productivity target every single week and are posting record high engagement surveys.

The team is mostly not happy about this development, and we just lost the sr spec who was taking care of a bunch of QA, weird internal escalations, and helping with the redesign of an internal website that is running on something we should have stopped using before even creating said site.

I've been told that the higher ups who supported work from home "lost" an internal struggle so every department will be moving the same as yours.

Also we were told managers need to go into the office regularly and that I need to "find a reason" to bring my team in too.

Suggested reasons given by my leaders:
1. Meetings

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Time to :yotj:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Zero One posted:

I've been told that the higher ups who supported work from home "lost" an internal struggle so every department will be moving the same as yours.

Also we were told managers need to go into the office regularly and that I need to "find a reason" to bring my team in too.

Suggested reasons given by my leaders:
1. Meetings

Ok, so mine got creative with the reasoning.

I give him some credit for working with the team to come up with reasonably fun things to do on the days they want everyone there (chili cook-off, white elephant) and determining when the best days to force people in is. He's not a bad manager, but he can spread himself WAY too thin, so some things that he should be handling get pushed down to me and the other lead.

(BTW, I think I may have dealt with you on some letter recently...sorry if I came off as a prick on IM. My brain by hour 8 is basically a fried egg.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

blackmet posted:

My brain by hour 8 is basically a fried egg.

So you're on drugs?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So you're on drugs?

Dammit. The secret is out. :cheeky:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Honestly, one of the best things about my job is getting to call people absolute loving morons in business-speak.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lmao my goal for next year is to sell almost 50% less than my target this year at a nearly double cost per sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

BigHead posted:

I'm staring down the barrel of losing years worth of work and pushing back all of my deadlines while I duplicate tedious monotonous poo poo that took me forever to do.

This is the terrible consequence of caring about stuff at work, an unforgivable crime that I am also guilty of.