Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

why are people making long posts about a character in a 1940s comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because of his powerfully erotic aura.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Quorum posted:

All of the above is wrong. Elon Musk is Debbie, and he is currently married to Twitter and looking impatiently at his watch.

after blowing up Twitter HQ

but officer.... my failed business was in that building!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

MikeJF posted:

That, and poor souls on H1B visas. Or people who really can't afford the chance of a healthcare interruption. Or are junior enough that they're not a shoe-in for other jobs and are financially extended already by moving to SF to take the Twitter job.

I do feel for the people reliant on health insurance, is that part of the 3 months of paid benefits? Because I reckon after another month at twitter, they're going to probably need those psychiatric benefits.

As for H1B/junior staff, I'd been led to believe the job market for ICT is "super hot" and find it hard to believe anyone with twitter on their resume would struggle to find a job (especially now that remote working is far more prevalent than two years ago).

Regardless, if you're still at twitter right now the calculus is the same, you can take the 3 months notice or you can quit in a month after 4 weeks of 18 hour (extra hardcore!!!!!) days when you can no longer get out of bed and get nothing.

These people are being offered a lifeline and need to get out because IMO there's no viable path for a career at twitter anymore.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Butcher posted:

Legally, if you live together in a "marriage-like" relationship, 1 year, 2 years (depends), or have a kid anytime, it's automatic, you are common law and the rights and obligations are 100% the same as "real" marriage.

Eh, last thing I'll say on this derail but I know for a fact the rights are not 100% the same on inheritance/death in Ontario from family experience. My aunt was common law married (legally declared and everything) and when her common law husband died without a will (and a lot of stuff was legally in his name, not joint, because they were somewhat old fashioned), by law she wasn't considered next of kin or considered to have any right to his estate and everything went to his brother.

https://www.willful.co/learn/common-law-ontario

Fortunately he was a decent guy and signed everything over to her but in a more contentious family you're just asking to be screwed over if you assume it's 100% like a "real" marriage and don't need a will.

Party Ape posted:

These people are being offered a lifeline and need to get out because IMO there's no viable path for a career at twitter anymore.

Yeah no kidding. It's going to be fun watching them try to attract talent now as well. Like a lot of Silicon Valley companies have crunch culture but I can't think of many where the CEO is constantly yelling online about 1. How bad he's going to make it and how he thinks it's a good thing and 2. Well costs are too high and the implications of what that means for your salary expectations.

Probably will just be terrible Musk cultists by year end and they ain't the best engineers.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 16, 2022

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Block feature busted

Also gomez isn't dead

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Block feature busted

Also gomez isn't dead

RPC Count reduced by one

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Also gomez isn't dead

I thought he died a few years ago. Nice to know real Gomez is still alive at 92 years young and I hope he's doing well.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SuddenCactus posted:

https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1592801188277538818

High intensity coding! Two people using the same keyboard at the same time!

In a tragic turn of events, Twitter sadly had to fire all of the employees left at the company, because the microservice handling the "Please crunch me to death, Elon"-button was shut down a day before.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SuddenCactus posted:

I think he's going to be shocked at the number of people who opt for the 3 months severance

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Glad to see she didn't get banned over the years.

she did, this is not her first account

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I think the people who stay are less likely to get 3 more months of pay than the folks who take the severance.

Assuming he doesn’t renege of course.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

I think he's going to be shocked at the number of people who opt for the 3 months severance

live scenes from inside Twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEIqTBasNrQ

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

why are people making long posts about a character in a 1940s comic

Elon Musk: Effort-Posting About the Addams Family

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So some article I read years ago about Elons mentality came to me.

It was something about start up operating lean or flexible or what ever the gently caress they call it.

But the idea is you need to make decisions you have a 50/50 chance to make the right call, so waiting for studies report or what ever just holds you back if you make a wrong call you can always go back and correct it.

For a small young company that needs to show the market/investors something it can make sense. hell I remember some Nasa guy saying when elon decided to do drone ship platforms for the rockets, by the time nasa would finish studies and meeting elon was already landing rockets on them.

Its nice to see why that style doesnt work

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

SuddenCactus posted:

How the gently caress is running a shitpost site extremely hardcore?

What the gently caress does any of that mean?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's fine if you have lots of little things you can burn and replace with relative ease. When you have a single, monolithic product, breaking it 50% of the time - even if you can fix it quickly - is perhaps not the best idea.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Taking 3 months of severance seems like a great deal

though I'd probably just do nothing as long as possible till i got fired

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

This. Why would you assume based on what has transpired in the past 3 weeks that you have any future at all at Twitter? Even if you work yourself to death, you can't criticise or question anything that you know to be false that is said by your Lord, even in private. What sort of working life is that to covet?

If Twitter 1.0 cultivated staff that were actively seeking wellness and a good work/life balance, this is basically poison to them. The only people he's going to keep are those who feel that they have no choice, and career bootlickers. Hardly the cream of the crop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

basicaly, bend the knee and work awful hours with same pay and constant unpaid time in some vague hope that i can make a buck off this as a change my mind to the whims of whatever moron chud speaks to me last. everyone will quit outside visa holders and lickspittles.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Meanwhile, on the new and improved Twitter....

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ups_rail posted:

you have a 50/50 chance to make the right call

Found the :psyduck: underlying assumption.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Holy poo poo.

Any other entertainer worth anything would have a good time with it. Not Jimmy Fallon.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

IBroughttheFunk posted:

But Comedy has returned to Twitter Mt. Fallon!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Zesty posted:

Holy poo poo.

Any other entertainer worth anything would have a good time with it. Not Jimmy Fallon.

If it was a funny response would it be Jimmy Fallon?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TulliusCicero posted:

It means he's trying to convince Paul Heyman to come work for Twitter.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Are we sure Fallon wasn't actually trying to make a joke there?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

It means he's trying to convince Paul Heyman to come work for Twitter.

He wants an expert at ducking bills until you're bankrupt.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

For a small young company that needs to show the market/investors something it can make sense. hell I remember some Nasa guy saying when elon decided to do drone ship platforms for the rockets, by the time nasa would finish studies and meeting elon was already landing rockets on them.

When it comes to rocket stuff it's always good to remember that SpaceX succeeded because Gwynne Shotwell was doing the actual running of the company (and is experienced at managing Elon and stopping him loving things too badly), and because Tom Mueller is a brilliant rocket engineer. Elon's contribution was funding and PR.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

It's a good way of getting rid of the people who don't have a problem finding the next job, even granting them three months of pay, and keeping the rest.

In my experience the opposite is a better way of running a business, but I'm no billionaire so I obviously have no clue about this.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

kazil posted:

Are we sure Fallon wasn't actually trying to make a joke there?

A subtle request for a ride in a tesla

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Elon's contribution was funding and PR.

Well yes thats what he does. same with tesla.

i wonder if elon will impregnaut anyone at twitter

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

hotdog feet posted:

Taking 3 months of severance seems like a great deal

though I'd probably just do nothing as long as possible till i got fired

Sounds pretty hardcore if you ask me!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Ups_rail posted:

Well yes thats what he does. same with tesla.

i wonder if elon will impregnaut anyone at twitter

he certainly is loving a lot of people there at least

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/joshuaphilll/status/1592872904764817409?s=46&t=glpA7ch0ZA6-tGw1dbqITA

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

Of those who click on the yes button, most will probably be deep into their job search and are just keeping options opened and bridges un-burnt until they get a good offer.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol a drone bomb is going to off the wealthiest man in the world, and everyone is going to shrug

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Durzel posted:

How much truth is there in the pervasive rumour that Twitter staff (and SV folk in general I guess) have a very cushy working life compared to what most others would experience? I can accept that it's a bit of a meme the whole "1 hour of work, the rest of the day in the rec room", but I wonder what substance there is to it. Obviously that culture is the opposite of what Musk wants, and his "40 hours in the office and you can work the rest of them from home" is too far on the other end of the spectrum. I guess I'm just curious as to whether Twitter was an outlier in terms of productivity vs wellness, or whether that's typical in SV, or whether it's all just hyperbole.

Quite happy to be told that I'm an idiot for even giving it any serious consideration.
Once you make it in mainstream IT you're generally given the latitude to do whatever the gently caress as long as you have proven output. There's a lot of low hanging fruit that looks impressive in nearly any circumstance so the 4 hour a week jobs certainly exist. There's also a lot of selection for protestant work ethic by the time you make it so there's often people self determining they need to crunch on 6 projects 70 hours a week like they were still a junior making a name for themself.

tuo posted:

It's a good way of getting rid of the people who don't have a problem finding the next job, even granting them three months of pay, and keeping the rest.

In my experience the opposite is a better way of running a business, but I'm no billionaire so I obviously have no clue about this.
When you have an entire office laughing their butt off at you and your cronies can't inquisition fast enough this is a good way to rebalance.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Market's been down, soooooooooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

How far is Elon from pointing a gun at an employee and demanding an employee hop inside of a model rocket he built or else?