Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Musk going with the bold legal strategy of "laws that make people do things they don't want to do aren't legal."

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/1592907779316252672

The funniest part is that he already knows this "I was under duress" argument won't fly, because he actually tried it in court in front of a judge earlier this year in an attempt to get the Tesla consent decree overturned.

https://twitter.com/obarcala/status/1592914182936354819

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So is using Parkinsons patches to stim at work a common thing now? ...or

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Mercury_Storm posted:

Depends, is Leo Spaceman your primary care physician?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

its vogue for techbro types to do biohacking. weird stimulants isn't too abnormal but i dunno about this one, folks also take small doses of psychedelics to boost creativity (this is likely what musk abuses because the moments of epiphany that come on a good trip would be highly attractive to a guy positioning himself as the Savior of Mankind) and let us not forget the soylent guy nuked his gut flora with antibiotics in an attempt to minimize how often he defecates

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Especially when you don't have to respect it yourself!

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1592939300500688896

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Doggles posted:

"Please put out the fire that I started, tia."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Counterpoint: Monorails are very seldom a good idea. The number of successful monorail projects is in the single digits and you're just about always better off doing actual rail.

But in general, the type of transit planning that comes up with "Monorail!" also generally builds the route to be awful and useless.

The monorail projects in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook were huge successes and put those cities on the map.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Trains have cars in them

Fascinating. Selegiline is also approved for treatment of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and there has been 0 concern about any sort of meat consumption in dogs taking the drug. A whole host of MAOI and SSRI drugs as potential drug reaction areas, but not meat consumption.

Also nothing on if the dogs gamble more often.

At various dosage levels of the medication it will metabolize more effectively with one of two different enzymes. The lower dose interacts with the enzyme responsible for the release of dopamine, but at a higher dose it will also interact with the release of norepinephrine. The latter is an issue when you eat foods high in tyramine because it puts you at risk for developing hypertension. When selegiline is used for doggy dementia, it's prescribed low enough to just get more dopamine bouncing off more neurons.

Doggles posted:

RIP for whomever gets that job.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 16, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The monorail projects in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook were huge successes and put those cities on the map.

I hear those things are awfully loud....

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Jaxyon posted:

I hear those things are awfully loud....
This monoderail is starting to be a tech nightmare

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CmdrRiker posted:

RIP for whomever gets that job.

Cat turd 2

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The collective moms of America were right. You really will go deaf from the rock music and those darn walkmans.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1592899293785968641

quote:

More than 1 billion young people could be at risk of facing hearing loss, a new study shows.

"It is estimated that 0.67–1.35 billion adolescents and young adults worldwide could be at risk of hearing loss from exposure to unsafe listening practices," according to the study, which was published in BMJ Journal on Tuesday.

Recommended noise limits are no more than 85 decibels throughout a 40-hour week. Young people from ages 12 to 35 using devices such as MP3 players and cellphones, actively listened to content at 105 decibels, while the average noise level at entertainment venues was 104 to 112 decibels.

"Damage from unsafe listening can compound over the life course, and noise exposure earlier in life may make individuals more vulnerable to age-related hearing loss," researchers said.

The scientists analyzed 33 studies from 2000 to 2021, but those studies have not been able to conclude whether the hearing loss was permanent or temporary.

"Temporary threshold shifts and hidden hearing loss likely serve as predictors for irreversible permanent hearing loss and may present as difficulties hearing in challenging listening environments, such as in background noise," the researchers said.

A person's risk of hearing loss depends on how loud, how long and how often they are exposed to certain noises. A sign that you may have engaged in unsafe listening practices is tinnitus, or ringing in the ears.

Impacts of hearing loss

Hearing loss in children can lead to poorer academic performance and reduced motivation and concentration, researchers said.

For adults, hearing loss could be linked to a decline in the state of one's mental health, lower income, depression, cognitive impairment and even heart problems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

How to prevent hearing loss

Noise exposure through electronic devices and venues are "a modifiable
risk factor for hearing loss," researchers said, and there are a few things you can do to protect your ears.

Take a break from the exposure if possible

Use ear protections, such as foam ear plugs, in loud environments
Put distance between yourself and the source of the noise, such as loud speakers at an event
Keep your devices at a safe volume. Some cellphones have features that will alert you when your content is too loud.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The collective moms of America were right. You really will go deaf from the rock music and those darn walkmans.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1592899293785968641
Honestly, I remember a bunch of news articles saying the exact same thing about 10-15 years ago. I think “young people are ruining their hearing” is just one of those cyclical news stories that will never fully die, like “young people are doing a stupid and dangerous challenge” or “young people actively hate every mainstream politician”.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Honestly, I remember a bunch of news articles saying the exact same thing about 10-15 years ago. I think “young people are ruining their hearing” is just one of those cyclical news stories that will never fully die, like “young people are doing a stupid and dangerous challenge” or “young people actively hate every mainstream politician”.

And I remember them in the 80s because of the Sony Walkman. I'm sure they were writing articles about those big rear end 60/70 can style headphones hooked up to records players before that.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Shouldn’t we wait to hand wave away before we examine that generations use of hearing aids in like …… 50 years

Don’t think it’s a rash oh no gen z kids literally can’t hear things right now article/study

Seems likely that we’ll see more folks using hearing aids in the future as we see the effects of continued headphone use

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The study is specifically about reviewing the last 20 years of hearing studies that couldn't determine whether the hearing loss was temporary or permanent, and they found that the hearing damage from 2000 was permanent for most people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

uggy posted:

Shouldn’t we wait to hand wave away before we examine that generations use of hearing aids in like …… 50 years

Don’t think it’s a rash oh no gen z kids literally can’t hear things right now article/study

Seems likely that we’ll see more folks using hearing aids in the future as we see the effects of continued headphone use

its not really a new problem though, this is just medical studies demonstrating that we're still ignoring the possibility of hearing loss due to our loud rear end world, which has been true for decades now

the airpods in the image frame this as a new thing but the article itself is mostly like "yep, kids still listen to music way louder than they should"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Motronic posted:

And I remember them in the 80s because of the Sony Walkman. I'm sure they were writing articles about those big rear end 60/70 can style headphones hooked up to records players before that.
I remember some British TV thriller from the mid-70s (starring future Trailer Voiceover Man Nick Tate) where one character was taken out by an assassin sneaking up behind him and... whacking the music on his giant 1970s headphones up to 11. Traumatised kid me for years.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

100 dB is "operating a jackhammer" levels. It's not surprising at all that that causes permanent damage. The surprising thing to me from that summary (if it's actually backed up by the paper) would be that 85dB doesn't cause permanent damage

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Motronic posted:

"People have been talking about hearing loss from strapping speakers directly to your ears for half a century" isn't exactly a dunk on that idea, though.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Foxfire_ posted:

100 dB is "operating a jackhammer" levels. It's not surprising at all that that causes permanent damage. The surprising thing to me from that summary (if it's actually backed up by the paper) would be that 85dB doesn't cause permanent damage

Two things - one (you probably know this but just in case), the obligatory reminder that dB is logarithmic so 85 isn't nearly as close to jackhammer territory as it might seem, and two, prolonged exposure at 85 dB is generally identified as the floor of "definitely hazardous" rather than the ceiling of "definitely safe". Not recommended for all-day listening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

"People have been talking about hearing loss from strapping speakers directly to your ears for half a century" isn't exactly a dunk on that idea, though.

Might as well write an article about the sky being blue.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

And what are you gonna do, ban earphones? The EU legislation that limits the volume output of music players is quite old already and people have tips for circumventing it on every device (it was usually setting the US as your region). The Apple Watch "yo if this was your workplace you'd be entitled to compensation" ambient volume warnings are a step in the right direction and should also monitor BT device output imo

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CmdrRiker posted:

Enough public transit chat. If you disagree, then I invite you to start a super cool new popular thread and invite all your cool train friends to join you over there.

I’d take a hundred pages of transit chat (which is the most interesting and informative this thread has been in years) over recounting the crypto scam of the day or drive-by doomposting about two factor authentication or whatever.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 16, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
In order to facilitate urban planning chat, Not Just Bikes, one of the better urban planning channels, has linked to an analysis agency that has some really neat visualizations available on their site about how cities generate revenue and spend on services in urban vs suburban areas:

https://www.urbanthree.com/services/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Jaxyon posted:

In order to facilitate urban planning chat, Not Just Bikes, one of the better urban planning channels, has linked to an analysis agency that has some really neat visualizations available on their site about how cities generate revenue and spend on services in urban vs suburban areas:

Very cool link! Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone in Indianapolis know what the one tiny square of real estate in the center of the city that generates 40x more revenue than every other spot in the entire city is?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Does anyone in Indianapolis know what the one tiny square of real estate in the center of the city that generates 40x more revenue than every other spot in the entire city is?

That's the downtown proper, city center. Hospitals, IUPUI, stadiums, convention centers, the big mall, museums, etc. Basically anything you've ever heard of about Indianapolis that isn't the speedway is there

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epic High Five posted:

That's the downtown proper, city center. Hospitals, IUPUI, stadiums, convention centers, museums. Basically anything you've ever heard of about Indianapolis that isn't the speedway is there

Yeah, that's what the whole purple blob is. But, I was just curious if anyone knew what was in the dead center that has the one single bar that is over 10x more revenue than the surrounding purple area.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Baronash posted:

I’d take a hundred pages of transit chat (which is the most interesting and informative this thread has been in years) over recounting the crypto scam of the day or drive-by doomposting about two factor authentication or whatever.

Cool, then keep it tech related. I'm in here for the tech behind mass transit that elaborates on the problems its facing/solving for the real world. I'm not cool with reading about the massive failures or dilemmas of tech and tech companies along with pages of the politics, economics, and urban planning involved in mass transit.

Epic High Five posted:

Rest of the city is intensely red-lined neighborhoods and block-long stretches of nightlife/clubs like Broadripple. There just ain't much going on. Surprised Speedway doesn't show up more prominently, it's got a lot going on but is also basically a junkyard. The northward line you see is the Marx particles in money being pulled toward the most expensive suburbs.

Like this white noise.

Jaxyon posted:

But seriously, this is a cool link. BUT STILL.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 16, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, that's what the whole purple blob is. But, I was just curious if anyone knew what was in the dead center that has the one single bar that is over 10x more revenue than the surrounding purple area.

Rest of the city is intensely red-lined neighborhoods and block-long stretches of nightlife/clubs like Broadripple. There just ain't much going on. Surprised Speedway doesn't show up more prominently, it's got a lot going on but is also basically a junkyard. The northward line you see is the Marx particles in money being pulled toward the most expensive suburbs.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Here's the relevant portion of the video I got that site from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI&t=549s

I imagine finding out what specific acre that is involves giving urban3 some money

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
As someone with tinnitus and who has never ever heard a perfectly quiet room (without a high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) it ain’t so bad.

Eventually Elon Musk will put a microphone jack in my brain that will let me get BOSE quality microphones in place of my ears with which to blast Nirvana directly into my melting brain and I, for one, salute him.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

As someone with tinnitus and who has never ever heard a perfectly quiet room (without a high pitched EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) it ain’t so bad.

Eventually Elon Musk will put a microphone jack in my brain that will let me get BOSE quality microphones in place of my ears with which to blast Nirvana directly into my melting brain and I, for one, salute him.

He'll jam a tinnitus amplifier in your skull that will make you be able to visually SEE the ringing, so loud it'll be. And all the mukrats will swarm to tell you that is so much better than regular old hearing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Here's the relevant portion of the video I got that site from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI&t=549s

I imagine finding out what specific acre that is involves giving urban3 some money

this is what i was talking about in terms of vloggers making odd conclusions based on faulty arguments - i get that the guy doesn't like suburbs, there's a whole lot to not like about suburbs, but talking about how it doesn't pay for itself is a weirdly libertarian argument to make in this context. its positioned as if there were a conscious decision to build bad, non-profitable suburban sprawl over good, fiscally responsible mixed use walkable urbanism, with the end goal of optimizing tax revenues and minimizing public expenditure. this is totally a suboptimal thing for the disembodied spirit of universal urban planning to do in fact! except, these sorts of decisions are spread out over a long time, across many jurisdictions, largely based on the whims of individual landowners and developers. its a totally applicable argument if we were playing simcity or something but its a pretty strange argument to apply to the entire output of a decentralized political economy with hundreds of moving parts over seven decades

its like the adjacent argument that radical upzoning will fix housing somehow. we just need to get rid of the burdensome regulation and bam, the free market will swoop in! again, these arguments end up going to weirdly libertarian places and are often not really well based in urban planning theory. however, they do generate lots of clicks and thus some profit, so the argument must have some validity if it is so popular. it sounds academic enough, he even does math and stuff

almost certainly just a quirky outlier in the data model

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 17, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Epic High Five posted:

Does it connect the places rich people live to the places rich people shop? I find that usually explains baffling routes if simple graft along the lines of "I definitely want Local Politician's Building Co. to get this lucrative contract but also I don't want it to be useful because I hate it" doesn't fit the bill.

Nope. Not in the slightest

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Doggles posted:

"You see a whining techbro stuck on his back. He yells at you to be more hardcore or else you're fired with three months severance. You don't go anywhere near him or his poopy diaper. Why is that?"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its vogue for techbro types to do biohacking. weird stimulants isn't too abnormal but i dunno about this one, folks also take small doses of psychedelics to boost creativity (this is likely what musk abuses because the moments of epiphany that come on a good trip would be highly attractive to a guy positioning himself as the Savior of Mankind) and let us not forget the soylent guy nuked his gut flora with antibiotics in an attempt to minimize how often he defecates

But uh... pooping is how you get the nasty OUT of your body, you preferably want to take large consistent often dumps. I work in mental health and basically EVERY person in my care is on something to make them have huge massive shits to help clear their bodies out.

And if you are taking "substances" to "enhance performance" You probably want to be extra sure you are dumping out any metabolised aftereffects before you get wrecked.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

AtomikKrab posted:

But uh... pooping is how you get the nasty OUT of your body, you preferably want to take large consistent often dumps. I work in mental health and basically EVERY person in my care is on something to make them have huge massive shits to help clear their bodies out.

And if you are taking "substances" to "enhance performance" You probably want to be extra sure you are dumping out any metabolised aftereffects before you get wrecked.

But peepee poopoo icky yuck

That's probably about as deep as the thought process goes

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Soylent guy did his no pooping challenge essentially to win a bet; he upfront agreed that it's not a healthy or smart thing to do.
It's a bad idea, but like a "take 21 shots on your 21st birthday idea"-style bad idea, not a "taking amphetamines and LSD every day is good for you"-style bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So is the soylent guy famous for anything other than soylent? surely as the inventor of soylent so he could minmax his poopoo and coding supa code, SOYLENT GUY has coded a supa app that like changes and saves the world or something right?