Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xakura posted:

Those parts where they're using music they haven't paid for (rejected/demo music for doom eternal, and a whole ost for unnamed bethesda game, which has to be wolfenstein II) is a slam dunk lawsuit, right?!

Mick says he was paid for the unnamed OST as part of the original payment for the Doom Eternal OST. (It's in the medium piece, but it's easy to miss specific details in how large/big it is.) The outstanding unpaid work is the rejected/demo music for Doom Eternal, and anything coming from a settlement regarding Mick making a second version of the Doom Eternal OST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Xakura posted:

Those parts where they're using music they haven't paid for (rejected/demo music for doom eternal, and a whole ost for unnamed bethesda game, which has to be wolfenstein II) is a slam dunk lawsuit, right?!

According to the article, MG went the legal route after Marty Stratton's open letter went up. Bethesda initially offered to settle, but only if Mick would agree to a gag order, leave the open letter in place and take responsibility for the bad OST. When he wouldn't (because that's obviously damaging to his reputation), Bethesda's lawyers started dragging their feet, which seems to be why MG is only now responding publicly.

Also, Reddit being Reddit, MG started receiving death threats once that open letter went up, because gamers are swine.

quote:

They shared my personal details via message boards, including Reddit, which meant that abusers could now reach me in more ways than ever.

They email-bombed my inboxes, crashing the server and clogging my messaging services, crippling my ability to communicate.

They harassed my other clients with attempts to get me fired from their projects.

They called my phone numbers around the clock, screaming messages full of abuse.

I began receiving specific expressions of violence, the content so vivid it made me sick. The torrent of abuse telling me how to kill myself, how I’d be mutilated, how they would circulate photos of my body to traumatise my family, how my family would be murdered, how they’d hurt my animals, how they’d shoot up any event I attended, how I’d be raped to death, really started to wear me down in ways I couldn’t previously imagine.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
So, so petty

Mick Gordon posted:

I’m happy to hear Marty feels I deserve DOOM’s music awards because the truth is those trophies are kept locked in the id Software office. I’ve only ever seen them once. Behind glass. From a distance. Nobody has ever offered to send me copies. Thanks to the show’s producers, I was invited to perform at the Game Awards, but other than that, id Software never invited me to collect awards in person. Marty invited himself to collect the awards on my behalf instead. It would mean a lot to have a memento of all the hard work I poured into the DOOM franchise, but as it currently stands, I doubt I’ll ever see those awards again.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I've had business with Bethesda personally and none of this is surprising. They are awful employers that take advantage of their employees and have a domineering attitude towards the contractors they work with. The best stories I've heard are simply neutral ("I delivered the work was contracted and was paid for it"), but there are other private horror stories of people being strung along just like this. They are also notorious for being legal bullies, with Zenimax lawyers standing behind them and not many with the resources to make a stand against them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

I've had business with Bethesda personally and none of this is surprising. They are awful employers that take advantage of their employees and have a domineering attitude towards the contractors they work with. The best stories I've heard are simply neutral ("I delivered the work was contracted and was paid for it"), but there are other private horror stories of people being strung along just like this. They are also notorious for being legal bullies, with Zenimax lawyers standing behind them and not many with the resources to make a stand against them.

There's the famous line about Fallout NV and how the Obsidian bonuses were tied to hitting a certain metacritic score, so people think Bethesda pushed it out deliberately unfinished in a lot of ways to avoid paying that.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Esran posted:

According to the article, MG went the legal route after Marty Stratton's open letter went up. Bethesda initially offered to settle, but only if Mick would agree to a gag order, leave the open letter in place and take responsibility for the bad OST. When he wouldn't (because that's obviously damaging to his reputation), Bethesda's lawyers started dragging their feet, which seems to be why MG is only now responding publicly.

This is a real shame because I remember having a worse image of Mick Gordon just because how bad it seemed he was handling it. I had a feeling the issue wasn't as one sided as Stratton made it to seem so I just had to chalk it up to Gordon having stress getting to him and acting irrationally (which is absolutely understandable looking at how badly he was actually being treated)

It really loving sucks that he couldn't go into more detail about his side until now since it's obviously always gently caress Bethesda (and iD) no exceptions.

e. what added insult to injury is that they just hired discount youtube mick gordons to do the DLC music lmao. It was fine musicwise but just not anywhere near 2016 or Eternal original music.

e2. I'm just 10th of the way reading this and I'm already going insane :psyduck: "how is management this loving out of touch" just doesn't even begin to describe how big of a shitshow this project was. Oh my god

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 12, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Lol at you all normies playing Doom with music. It's all about the environmental noises and atmosphere. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
did someone say something, all I could hear was BFG Division pulverizing some nerd into a fine red mist

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Marty Stratton is 1000% a narcissistic psychopath, no question about it. Yet another story of blatant abuse, gaslighting, withholding payment, withholding contracts, stonewalling, going behind one's back, stealing material, miscrediting, the list goes on and on

Just loving unbelievable, even if half of MG's text is mischaracterised or misremembered, it's still enough to never trust anything Bethesda or id ever does again, jesus gently caress

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Read the article, it just gets more and more crazy and it certainly looks like he has the receipts to back up what he's saying. Just an ugly picture of incompetence and malice. Lots of bits jumped out at me, but this one in particular:

quote:

id Software and Zenimax engaged a large multi-national law firm as representation, and we began settlement negotiations. I demanded Marty withdraw his false accusations and issue an apology. But they rejected this on Marty’s concern that if he admitted fault publicly, that would negatively affect his reputation.

Just... Wow. "I can't admit I was wrong in slandering you repeatedly, lying to you, and trying to destroy your entire career. It might make me look bad!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This Mick Gordon news has me half remembering something about a Donkey Kong composer, did Mick Gordon work for Rare in the past too? I feel like it was something to do with Donkey Kong but I'm only 30% sure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

This Mick Gordon news has me half remembering something about a Donkey Kong composer, did Mick Gordon work for Rare in the past too? I feel like it was something to do with Donkey Kong but I'm only 30% sure.

No, as far as I know he only started with a ten minute animation about Pompeii and then Killer Instinct 3

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Marty Stratton is 1000% a narcissistic psychopath, no question about it. Yet another story of blatant abuse, gaslighting, withholding payment, withholding contracts, stonewalling, going behind one's back, stealing material, miscrediting, the list goes on and on

Just loving unbelievable, even if half of MG's text is mischaracterised or misremembered, it's still enough to never trust anything Bethesda or id ever does again, jesus gently caress

Nah, honestly if you're still on the Todd Train after "200 endings!" then you're fooling yourself

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

People Make Games, the folks who broke the Funomena story and some other neat stuff, are doing a 2-part series about gambling and Valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmNy11Mn7g

There's not really any breaking news in the first video but it's nice to see someone covering gambling through Steam's API. Seems like every journalistic outlet decided to stop covering the story after Valve banned a few of the worst offenders half a decade ago. I lol'ed when they observed that loving Roblox has more proactive moderation than Steam.

E: I'd like them to address money laundering via 3rd-party marketplaces. Everyone knows it takes place, the question is on what scale.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 15, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bethesda put out a response to Mick Gordon:

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1592971214817222656

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

I don’t see any facts in this message to refute the claims, and I’m sure the average person won’t either. I’m not sure what they hope to accomplish. Maybe this is aimed at shareholders?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Popoto posted:

I don’t see any facts in this message to refute the claims, and I’m sure the average person won’t either. I’m not sure what they hope to accomplish. Maybe this is aimed at shareholders?

It's a response designed to not escalate the situation. It's not bad, but mostly amounts to "file a lawsuit or gtfo"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Did they put out a similar statement after Marty made his Reddit post? I'm assuming I know the answer, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

People Make Games, the folks who broke the Funomena story and some other neat stuff, are doing a 2-part series about gambling and Valve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMmNy11Mn7g

There's not really any breaking news in the first video but it's nice to see someone covering gambling through Steam's API. Seems like every journalistic outlet decided to stop covering the story after Valve banned a few of the worst offenders half a decade ago. I lol'ed when they observed that loving Roblox has more proactive moderation than Steam.

E: I'd like them to address money laundering via 3rd-party marketplaces. Everyone knows it takes place, the question is on what scale.

One of the grossest things about it is the many, many streamers who were promoting the poo poo out of those games while also running the offsite gambling/shopfronts or whatever.

The goon who made his money selling and trading TF hats had a lot of comments about how scummy it would get with people targeting accounts to ply newbie users to sell their hats for $20, which seems like a huge amount to a casual gamer, but they were reselling on the gray markets for thousands of dollars.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

quiggy posted:

Did they put out a similar statement after Marty made his Reddit post? I'm assuming I know the answer, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Nope!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Blizzard is suspending game services in China due to contract negotiation issues with Netease(Diablo Immortal is unaffected because it has its own contract):

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/blizzard-entertainment-and-netease-suspending-game-services

This seems like a pretty huge deal, given that a big part of Blizzard's original push towards trying to develop mobile games was to appeal to the Chinese market.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Kanos posted:

Blizzard is suspending game services in China due to contract negotiation issues with Netease(Diablo Immortal is unaffected because it has its own contract):

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/blizzard-entertainment-and-netease-suspending-game-services

This seems like a pretty huge deal, given that a big part of Blizzard's original push towards trying to develop mobile games was to appeal to the Chinese market.

It must absolutely blow to be a non-hacker gamer nerd kid in China right now. Government mandated hours restrictions, international company issues like this, and god knows what's to come in the new Ultraconservative future. The CCP are fools for pissing off an entire generation of already-frustrated young men who might have been satiated with the equivalent of our youthful 56k Starcraft games. Boring adults will never understand the existential need for collaborative escapism in uncool kids

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 17, 2022

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The CCP's always been like that towards games. It's pretty frustrating since the Chinese game dev industry was finally starting to boom thanks to being able to get games out of China thanks to Steam and console companies. Which is when the CCP rolled in with new regulations on what's acceptable in video games and an attempt to replace Steam with Steam China, an alternate storefront that doesn't allow Chinese gamers easy access to foreign games.

So it's a bit more that they had a much better period of gaming and now it's draining away.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
The limitations on foreign publishers releasing games domestically is also pretty brutal. It sets up pretty messy collaborations, and the weirdness about specific restrictions in the mainland v Hong Kong etc. complicates it even more. You also end up with situations where non-Chinese companies are trying to work with developers that basically just stole their IP to publish in China (i.e., that precursor to Wild Rift, Game of Peace, etc.). Not a great foundation for a working relationship imo, and just an odd set of circumstances to try and navigate. I wonder if the restrictions on game time mean that it feels less worth it to go jump through the hoops? vOv

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I doubt this will stop at Blizzard, I would take a guess there will be other western gaming companies operating in China that'll be faced with something similar.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Excited for another opium war but this time it's videogames

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think we should be careful to distinguish the CCP intentionally making it difficult for foreign companies as a way to strengthen the position of domestic developers, and them doing other censorship type stuff that also shoots themselves in the foot. Those things feel very different to me.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, that's my bad actually. The original story posted isn't really about the CCP but more about Blizzard not being able to navigate partnerships with other companies. I'm just frustrated about Chinese censorship laws on domestic games since it really did feel like they were going into a gaming renaissance which would've great for me since they make way more wuxia/xianxia stuff I eat it up. Rules against morally grey settings, LGBT content and historical sims are really going to make it hard for domestic developers.

The stuff with needing a Chinese company to publish your game in China is fairly standard protectionism business, I don't really have strong feelings about that.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bethesda unsurprisingly being callous and misleading with no actual substance. "Why does mick want to ruin OUR PROFESSIONAL relationship ?? :qq:"

Just trying to calm hitler their way out of paying a contractor they hosed over every step of the way. Pretty much what I expected from them if Mick was telling the truth.

gently caress Bethesda.

e. just nonchalantly ruining their contractor's personal life and career and then whining about the victim not staying down. This is seriously the way they conduct themselves? loving incredible

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 17, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Twitter was already in such a weird, surrealist place tonight that I initially thought this was a joke.

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1593430126225936384

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So hbomberguy, a video essayist, thought that he would take it easy and make a quick trivial video about finding the origins of one of the most memetic sounds from modern games… and then fell into the mother of all rabbit holes when he went to fact-check something about it, and inadvertently pulled the thread on a massive web of deception by a certain sound designer and composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

So hbomberguy, a video essayist, thought that he would take it easy and make a quick trivial video about finding the origins of one of the most memetic sounds from modern games… and then fell into the mother of all rabbit holes when he went to fact-check something about it, and inadvertently pulled the thread on a massive web of deception by a certain sound designer and composer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

I think you're looking for the 'thread of good and important videos about videogames'

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895946

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Blacula posted:

I think you're looking for the 'thread of good and important videos about videogames'

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895946

Going from page 1 to the latest in that thread is one hell of a nosedive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So here's something

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/blizzard-titles-including-world-of-warcraft-will-be-switched-off-in-china-next-year

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is pretty surprising since historically Blizzard has been willing to bend over backwards for access to China. I'm wondering if Netease has a choice in the matter. It wouldn't be the first time the CCP has taken a hard line against foreign companies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://www.polygon.com/23464489/world-of-warcraft-overwatch-china-activision-blizzard-netease-deal-jerk

A NetEase executive had this to say on linkedin, blaming it on "how much damage a jerk can make":

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh no, not support for Heroes of the Storm! :ohdear:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

https://www.polygon.com/23464489/world-of-warcraft-overwatch-china-activision-blizzard-netease-deal-jerk

A NetEase executive had this to say on linkedin, blaming it on "how much damage a jerk can make":

Very interesting phrasing implying that it's one specific person's fault. Who of the big names with that much authority are actually left at Blizzard, though? I feel like most of them resigned amid the multiple concurrent scandals.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kith posted:

Very interesting phrasing implying that it's one specific person's fault. Who of the big names with that much authority are actually left at Blizzard, though? I feel like most of them resigned amid the multiple concurrent scandals.

The jerk isn't necessarily someone at Blizzard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it could be a chinese government official, even, rather than someone at netease or blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Xi Jinping got pissed that warlocks got nerfed.