Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

Pretty sure there's a setting to turn that off

Yeah that’s a setting. And if you want to go to the space after it’s turned off you double click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man, I tried living with Stage Manager for a week or two or however long Ventura has been out and my honest opinion is that it's just gotten in the way. It feels clunky and not intuitive to my workflow. I can't mentally get with the paradigm to make sure the windows I want on screen are what I see, then when I want to have Safari and iTerm up I am always struggling to get the right windows and tabs aligned for whatever it is I'm trying to do.

I don't have a good threshold for what is just not giving something enough chance and what is "ok this actually just isn't good and I should stop trying to jam it into my workflow" but then I realized that I'm a grown adult and I don't have to justify it to myself so I just shut that garbage off.

No digs at anyone who integrated it into their daily life quickly and efficiently -- just isn't me for sure.

I remember when expose came out in .. 2009? It feels like hyperbole to say, but it literally changed how I used my mac for the better and was one of those "how the gently caress did I use a computer before this??" quality of life improvements. Probably the most significant one I can call to mind, and for sure the first that pops in when someone asks what I love about this platform. I was hoping that stage manager would be a similar transformative experience but so far everything I've wanted to do with stage manager I've managed to do faster and more accurately with expose trackpad shortcuts that have been trained into me over the past thirteen years.

So like.. Not a dig at Apple or anything. Nice try, I can see what you were going for, but I don't think this is it for me. But also I think it's another one of those "this might work WAY better on a mobile device" things. If I had a 12" iPad Pro this might actually be a natural way to move around windows and applications. My 10" Pro might be pushing it with screen real estate, but I'll probably give this a try on the iPad before dismissing it altogether. On the MBP? I'm just left wondering why I'd ever use it. Which is fine since I don't have to.

Last Chance posted:

I tried stage manager for a bit but i immediately missed having my clutter (i call it "organized chaos") of windows in the background ready to be clicked at a moment's notice.

Yeah. I think this is me too. And with expose I don't even have to put that much effort into finding what I want. Three fingers up to find what I want in my pile of windows. If I can't find it, three fingers down on the app I know I'm looking for to look through just that app. I'm literally never more than two or three gestures away from the thing I'm looking for which has consistently been faster than trying to make sure the right window combination is in one of my stage manager "scenes" or whatever they are. For me this was just not a problem that needed to be solved, but I might be in the minority.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 8, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Trying to give Stage Manager on MacOS a fair shake and I'm not sure what problem it is supposed to solve. Feels like it should be rolled into the dock rather than be it's own separate sidebar.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taking bets on whether it is managed by Dock.app

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Serif released version 2 of the Affinity suite.

Key takeaways:

No subscription. V1 will continue to work, but there will be no further updates. V2 is a paid upgrade for version 1.0 users. Now offering a Universal license that covers all 3 apps for all platforms.

They’re running a $99 special for the universal license. I don’t see any specific discounts for v1 users, so I’m guessing the discount price will be the upgrade price eventually.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Key takeaways:

No subscription. V1 will continue to work, but there will be no further updates. V2 is a paid upgrade for version 1.0 users. Now offering a Universal license that covers all 3 apps for all platforms.

They’re running a $99 special for the universal license. I don’t see any specific discounts for v1 users, so I’m guessing the discount price will be the upgrade price eventually.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal for a universal license

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yeah that does seem like a fair pricing.

As someone who only does some light image editing using Pixelmator Pro and does photo editing using VSCO on my iPhone, is there any compelling reason to look at Affinity Photo?

Would it maybe let me step up my photo editing game?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I used to :filez: Photoshop to do stupid little edits, bought Pixelmator and then bought Affinity Photo. Pixelmator always felt a bit like stepping back to Paint Shop Pro, Affinity Photo seems more powerful. I am aware I do not use half the features it has.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

As someone who only does some light image editing using Pixelmator Pro and does photo editing using VSCO on my iPhone, is there any compelling reason to look at Affinity Photo?

I’m kinda in this boat. I’m really tempted but I realize I won’t be using like 95% of the features.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I would jump ship if there was a Lightroom replacement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I’m kinda in this boat. I’m really tempted but I realize I won’t be using like 95% of the features.

It has a very nice workflow for whatever you are doing though.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

101 posted:

Affinity Photo initially reminded me of a more polished GIMP, where the average user’s first “A-ha!” moment is that the default GUI needs some rearranging to fit your particular workflows lest you get overwhelmed with the amount of visual clutter in the menu & sidebar areas.

Once done, though, Affinity apps are extremely solid & attain “go-to” status for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

I would jump ship if there was a Lightroom replacement

Aperture :'(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna say, :rip:. Heady days those were

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

edit: iOS != macOS :doh:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 10, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, so far.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kefkafloyd posted:

Key takeaways:

I feel like that once the offer runs out, that's it. They never mentioned upgrade discounts in their FAQS and news items.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They often put their products on sale pricing when it was just 1.0. They’ve never had upgrade pricing in the past because this is their first paid upgrade ever. Maybe after the big sale is over they’ll reveal upgrade incentives.

Either way if you own 1.x or just want to get into the fold, $99 is an astounding deal for what the Affinity suite can do.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I've got a broken MBP (screens hosed up) that I want to put Batocera on. Works great so I want to put it on the internal nvme drive. The "regular" way to do it on this is to run some jank installer thing from the live USB, which then downloads a whole other copy of the fuckin thing and installs it. This didn't work at all for me.

What's the easiest way to I guess take the files on the USB and image them as-is to the internal drive? I tried using a live USB and using dd to copy the whole /dev/sda to /dev/nvme0n1 and it didn't seem to work.

(posted this here instead of the Linux questions thread cause Mac hardware is weird)

edit: actually this probably belongs in the other thread

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 15, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Question on notification banners: I forget which OS version this was, but it used to be that notification flags in the top right corner would be a lot more detailed (Slack notifications had the sender and a snippet of the message, Outlook and Gmail would show the sender and the subject line). I think since Big Sur it just shows the name of the app, which is more annoying than useful.

Is there any way to get detailed banners/flags back in the latest OS, particularly for slack? I appreciated being able to keep tabs on active convos while working in another app.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

new thread title suggestion: Ventura is a crime against humanity

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone know why Screen Share would just not work? I use it quite a bit to log into my dads Mac to fix various poo poo and the past few weeks it just won't load. Both Macs are on the latest version of ventura and I'm on the phone with him I can hear the Mac play the screen share sound but the prompt doesn't pop up on his machine.

He's several hundred miles away so I can't just pop over and look at it. Has anyone seen this before? I'm half tempted to just install Parsec or something on his PC the next time I see him because I need to make sure we don't have these issues.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Am I missing something? Ventura isn't bugging me at all.

I'm 95% a Windows and Android user. The new System Preferences is different, but it doesn't seem worse to me than how random some system settings used to feel anyway? If anything it seems a bit better organised now.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Am I missing something? Ventura isn't bugging me at all.

I'm 95% a Windows and Android user. The new System Preferences is different, but it doesn't seem worse to me than how random some system settings used to feel anyway? If anything it seems a bit better organised now.

I’m a 75% Apple user (rough estimate), and yeah it’s fine. Couple bugs with work stuff, but so far easily remedied and really nothing I’m going to hold against them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ventura's greatest crime is continuing the trend of being an aggressively boring release, with one or two OH BOY BIG NEW FEATURES that literally no one gives a poo poo about.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Please don‘t ruin my excitement by talking down Ventura now that I’ve finally installed it on my ancient iMac.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 17, 2022

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

AlternateAccount posted:

Ventura's greatest crime is continuing the trend of being an aggressively boring release, with one or two OH BOY BIG NEW FEATURES that literally no one gives a poo poo about.

For me and my workflow, I REALLY like Stage Manager. It alone was worth the upgrade to Ventura. YMMV. 🤷‍♂️

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I haven't been on a Mac as my main machine for over 10 years at this point, and Ventura released less than a week after I got this MBA. I guess the iOS-style System Settings app is probably the standout change for me, but since I've been on iPhones already for a while, it wasn't that big a deal. My brief time with old-style System Preferences in Monterey made it seem like they had really downsized it and squished things together since the last time I used OS X, but maybe that's a function of higher-resolution screens these days. The biggest frustation so far was that I didn't figure out right away how to share files with my Windows desktop under Ventura, but I can see now that it would have been relatively easy to get going if I had been less lazy and spent about 30 more seconds digging into the sharing settings.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

istewart posted:

I haven't been on a Mac as my main machine for over 10 years at this point, and Ventura released less than a week after I got this MBA. I guess the iOS-style System Settings app is probably the standout change for me, but since I've been on iPhones already for a while, it wasn't that big a deal. My brief time with old-style System Preferences in Monterey made it seem like they had really downsized it and squished things together since the last time I used OS X, but maybe that's a function of higher-resolution screens these days. The biggest frustation so far was that I didn't figure out right away how to share files with my Windows desktop under Ventura, but I can see now that it would have been relatively easy to get going if I had been less lazy and spent about 30 more seconds digging into the sharing settings.

Windows and Mac can share files between each other??

This would be amazing for my workflow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah! You can mount Windows drives on your network using SMB.
ExFAT drives will also work on both OS

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah as long as they’re on the same network* and both machines have their network discovery settings on. Google “mount windows share in MacOS”, tons of guides. Similar phrasing will work the other way of course.

*the router has to also allow clients to see each other, so probably no public WiFi hotspots will work.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

Yeah as long as they’re on the same network* and both machines have their network discovery settings on. Google “mount windows share in MacOS”, tons of guides. Similar phrasing will work the other way of course.

*the router has to also allow clients to see each other, so probably no public WiFi hotspots will work.
If you have to do this more than once you’re probably better off installing Tailscale

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tailscale, Syncthing, and Remote Desktop are your friends.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I have to give major props to Ventura. Monterey and a few previous were absolute poo poo about restoring things if you had to reboot for an update or something and this kicks rear end.

Safari was particularly dreadful for getting multiple tabs/windows to be like they were. Especially if they were minimised. Even the restore last session option forgot loads of stuff. I'd be having to save the URLs before rebooting to be safe.

I have certain things set to launch at startup and even THEY would may or may not depending on the weather. A little streaming music app thats window opens top left by default remembered that I like it bottom right.

I had a brief power cut, so computer go boom. When I turned it back on EVERYTHING was back where it was. I love it.

franco fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 21, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like an issue with your previous install, generally didn’t have any issues like that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Any idea how I can stop these notifications from showing up every time I log in? It seems like they should only be showing up the first time I log in after upgrading to Ventura but it's been quite a while and they show up every time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Could anyone of you recommend me a Safari extension that automatically rejects all non-essential cookies? A recommendation for Firefox and Chrome would also be appreciated, as I have to use those for work. It's driving me loving insane.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Xabi posted:

A recommendation for Firefox and Chrome would also be appreciated, as I have to use those for work. It's driving me loving insane.
There's I don't care about cookies: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/i-dont-care-about-cookies/

franco
Jan 3, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like an issue with your previous install, generally didn’t have any issues like that.

Possibly. But I've seen a lot of people in the recent past having similar issues :shrug: Either way, I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Xabi posted:

Could anyone of you recommend me a Safari extension that automatically rejects all non-essential cookies? A recommendation for Firefox and Chrome would also be appreciated, as I have to use those for work. It's driving me loving insane.
Super Agent claims to be able to do exactly this.

Hush is very effective at simply blocking the cookie warning banners.