Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I didn't get a picture, unfortunately, but today on our afternoon walk, we spotted our resident red-tail. She took off from her perch as we passed, flying real low. We thought she might have spotted dinner so we followed her, and sure enough, we found her in a tree across the parking lot chowing down on some small mammal. :black101: You go, girl! Eat those squirells!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We watched an ibis while stuck at a red light the other day. They caught a lizard and ate it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Silver Falcon posted:

I didn't get a picture, unfortunately, but today on our afternoon walk, we spotted our resident red-tail. She took off from her perch as we passed, flying real low. We thought she might have spotted dinner so we followed her, and sure enough, we found her in a tree across the parking lot chowing down on some small mammal. :black101: You go, girl! Eat those squirells!

Squirrel eats pizza, hawk eats squirrel, circle of life

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We've had these insects appearing in our house for the last couple of weeks. I'm in north Georgia. They're less than a centimeter long, maybe 7-8 mm. Hard to get a decent picture since they're so small! What might they be?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Probably a grain weevil. Time to check any cereals or oatmeal you have for grubs.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Protip: weevils taste bad (bitter) but their grubs are allegedly delicious.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Protip: check your rice carefully for these tasty treats!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:3: Look at it's little schnoz

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh goody. Luckily we just have a couple opened boxes of cereal (I assume the unopened ones are fine?) and maybe a jar of flour.

Eta: Doing a bit of internet searching, it sounds like they only infest the raw whole grain, like rice or corn kernels. The only stuff we have like that that isn't in the freezer is a bit of bird seed. We've found them in lots of places in the house, but not near the pantry. What are they doing if not going for the bird seed?

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 17, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Check all cereal products and dry pet food.

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 17, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
It turned out to be the bird seed. Thanks for the help, all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's heartwarming to see Critterquest diagnose an infestation :3:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hooah posted:

Does that upgrade your bird seed into the avian equivalent of Raisin Bran?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Regy Rusty posted:

It's heartwarming to see Critterquest diagnose an infestation :3:

The opposite of how on /r/whatsthisbug every now and then someone would post an actual bedbug and an ID’er hafta give some bad news

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

for me it's always pantry moths

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

poverty goat posted:

for me it's always pantry moths

Carpet beetle larva over here.

I had a blessed encounter with this forest spirit on my run yesterday morning. Much better than being attacked by an owl.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

so round and sharp!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lately the dogs and I have a nightly appointment w/ this chill dude

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This is the second one of these beetles we've seen in our apartment recently. What is it? Vancouver area, Canada

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Is that just dust on its back or a pattern?

Maybe a copra beetle?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

hooah posted:

I've learned the hard way to be very careful with birdseed I buy :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you have to be careful with anything you buy. I bought a 50lb bag of rice and it had pantry moths in it, and we were plagued by the little fuckers infesting everything else for months until I picked up Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps, which eradicated all the males over time and caused them to eventually peter out.

same thing with like, bananas, you're always gonna get fruit flies if you buy bananas. always freeze or refrigerate stuff you buy for a couple days to kill most pests like grubs etc.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

you have to be careful with anything you buy. I bought a 50lb bag of rice and it had pantry moths in it, and we were plagued by the little fuckers infesting everything else for months until I picked up Dr. Killigan's Pantry Moth Traps, which eradicated all the males over time and caused them to eventually peter out.

same thing with like, bananas, you're always gonna get fruit flies if you buy bananas. always freeze or refrigerate stuff you buy for a couple days to kill most pests like grubs etc.

this is why everything I buy goes into the airlock for an ionizing radiation bath before it comes into the house. No vermin, but my pets don't live very long for some reason.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Generally speaking if you aren't used to all your grain and flour sprouting bugs from nowhere over a few months if you don't use them quickly it's because you're a spoiled westerner who's only ever bought irradiated grain. It's far more normal for it to happen than not. Westerners can usually rest easy in the knowledge that 100% of the moth/weevil eggs in their food are dead on arrival, but be careful w/ that fancy imported basmati rice in the burlap sack

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Red Queen posted:

Is that just dust on its back or a pattern?

Maybe a copra beetle?

It's dust, normally they're all black.

A cursory search says they're a pantry pest. What kind of foods should we check, if that is indeed the species?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

How big are they and can you get a well lit picture of one?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The capitate antennae should be fairly diagnostic. Maybe a black larder beetle (Dermestes ater)?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They're quite small. Maybe 70 mm or so.

A dermestid would make sense as I've seen dermestid grubs here and there. We found two of them this weekend (the second one is pictured above) but no more since. :iiam:

If I see one again I'll get a better shot. We were getting ready to head out for a trip when I took that one.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 22, 2022

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

This is the second one of these beetles we've seen in our apartment recently. What is it? Vancouver area, Canada

Compare with Necrobia rufipes, red-legged ham beetle.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This isn’t a photo of a creature, but I hope it counts! I went for a brief walk in the woods today and came across this print on a downed tree near my house. For scale, that tree is probably 18-24” in diameter. Its from a black bear.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 23, 2022

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

See you later alligator

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

what a cutie!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Boop that snoot

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I went to a new park and the chickadees there were very used to getting fed, and would try to land on you whether you had food or not.
I couldn't help myself, i held out my hand and let one land on me for the novelty of it.
But, oops, the one i got seems to have something wrong with its eye :(

:nws: as per OP rules

Is this (healed?) physical trauma or some kind of eye disease?

(I washed my hands very thoroughly after getting my video)

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Conjunctivitis can cause crusty eyes like that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

I went to a new park and the chickadees there were very used to getting fed, and would try to land on you whether you had food or not.
I couldn't help myself, i held out my hand and let one land on me for the novelty of it.

Probably fowlpox, a virus that infects many kinds of birds. If you have a bird feeder and see infected birds on it, it's a good idea to remove it to limit the spread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fowlpox

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

some weird rabbit climbing up my wall

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
meet Bob the Bathroom Spider

Bob is a murderous cannibal bathroom spider in my bathroom. Originally a tiny dime-sized bugger who precariously set up shop under the soap tray in the shower, I figured they'd get washed away and didn't bother actively killing them. Bob grew fat off the infestation of pantry moths I had over the summer, and proceeded to relocate to the ceiling of the bathroom, molting multiple times and getting quite big.

then one day, a bunch of other variously-sized bathroom spiders appeared out of nowhere in different spots all around the shower area of the bathroom. Over the next few days I would then see Bob in a new location, and one less of the other spiders every time I walked in there. Eventually, Bob wiped out all the newcomers, just waltzing into their webs and killing them, then moved back under the soap tray they originally hung out under. Then a week ago, Bob disappeared. I figured they just went somewhere and died as spiders do. but suddenly, I walk in today, turn on the light, and...the best way I can explain it is imagine the most awkward, stupid way a spider could walk, with this as the sound effect, and you have how Bob was running gracefully along the floor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnF9Q9f6EUE&t=35s

I'm generally pretty unaccepting of critters in the bathroom, but figured Bob could help with the pantry moth problem so left them alone(and they did! the traps I had caught all the males, and bob's webs caught a bunch of females). It's wild to see one grow this huge though, never seen one this big, almost a three inch legspan. the above photo was the best I could snap before they booked it to curl up and hide in a corner.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

there was a spooky epidemic on the east coast last year of some crusty eye disease

https://www.audubon.org/news/as-easts-songbird-epidemic-fades-cause-remains-unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

break-up breakdown posted:

some weird rabbit climbing up my wall

how tf can it see with matte black eyes