Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlg1umACrn1xoyw8p.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haveblue posted:

The most OSHA UXO is the SS Richard Montgomery, which sank in the middle of a major harbor with 1500 tons of explosives on board and most of it is still there today

utter madness that they've put off evacuating the area and shelling the gently caress out of that for 70 years. Rip the drat bandaid already.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This really captures the feel I get in a lot of dreams, where I just try over and over to do some activity involving basic coordination and it never works, real weird.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I've played an OSHA game involving alcohol, hammers, and nails (Stump) many times and never saw anyone do that badly.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2022

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is the kind of thing we seceded for as a nation, here in AMERICA we can have things like RIGHTS and FREEDOM :911:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is the kind of thing we seceded for as a nation, here in AMERICA we can have things like RIGHTS and FREEDOM :911:

You can have all the freedom you want.

As long as it's after business hours.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

For some reason I decided to Google this.

It's for a music video.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

There Bias Two posted:

Apparently a contractor is supposed to remove the masts next year, so I'd say there's a fair chance of a massive explosion in the near future.

From that wiki lol

One of the reasons that the explosives have not been removed was the unfortunate outcome of a similar operation in July 1967, to neutralize the contents of the Polish cargo ship Kielce, that sank in 1946, off Folkestone in the English Channel. During preliminary work, Kielce exploded with a force equivalent to an earthquake measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale, digging a 20-foot-deep (6 m) crater in the seabed and bringing "panic and chaos" to Folkestone, although there were no injuries.[5]: 2000 survey, p21–22  Kielce was at least 3 or 4 miles (4.8 or 6.4 km) from land, sunk in deeper water than Richard Montgomery, and had "just a fraction" of the load of explosives.[10]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Purge franchise is really running out of steam huh

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

how does an adult person get like this

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's a fake for clicks IMO.

There's a stupid amount of them on the short portrait video platforms.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Oh, I can absolutely believe that someone would fumble the first hit, then giggle so hard out of embarrassment that nothing gets done after that.

Also could be faked, but it's not easy to act being so humiliatingly bad, while it is very easy to suck at manual work.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
This seems very real to me. Some people don't often experience loud noises or hitting things in a deliberate way. In this, they pull away from the impact every time or close their eyes. It's why some people are uniquely bad at sparring the first time they do it, hitting things is very foreign to some folks.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

This really captures the feel I get in a lot of dreams, where I just try over and over to do some activity involving basic coordination and it never works, real weird.

I am super left handed and thats about the level of skill in my right arm.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, also after the first one she was obviously so conscious of hitting the wall she over adjusted. Then the giggles set in.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah like I feel like sure it could be faked but that's honestly a believable video. You gently caress up the first swing, overcorrect, get giggly and just lose all composure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Assuming it's real, why are they using a hammer to remove a telephone? Can't you just snap it off the mount and the mount is screwed into the wall?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fumble posted:

I am super left handed and thats about the level of skill in my right arm.

username post combo checks out

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

haveblue posted:

Assuming it's real, why are they using a hammer to remove a telephone? Can't you just snap it off the mount and the mount is screwed into the wall?

Because it's fun to hit things with a hammer

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Looked plausible to me. The engagement bait tends to really lean into the bit.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“I was detecting in a forest looking for coins , i was diggind down when i hit a WW1 detonator for a 155 mm shell , it blow up on me. In the same hole i fond a 2nd detonator and a german stick grenade that didn explode i was very lucky i still have my both eyes. Be careful when you dig down :)

Graphic photos

Does this guy count as a casualty of WW1?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

You can't crime there, mate.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

utter madness that they've put off evacuating the area and shelling the gently caress out of that for 70 years. Rip the drat bandaid already.

I remember the last time I saw discussion of that wreck. The consensus was if they tried to detonate it in place there was a risk that not all of the munitions would go up in the blast. Then you have an unknown amount of UXO spread over a large area in a major shopping route. It was better to keep it contained and tell everyone to stay away from that particular spot.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

if all of this stuff was in america the lapd could take care of it like they did with all those illegal fireworks

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Because HGTV

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
dude smashing a telephone off a wall with a hammer is one of those things that I never thought about but actually sounds hella satisfying now that the thought has entered my mind

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DyneAvenger posted:

Because it's fun to hit things with a hammer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

how does an adult person get like this

women are traditionally discouraged from doing things that would build that sort of hand-eye coordination, like throwing balls, and from swinging hammers in general.

Varkk posted:

also after the first one she was obviously so conscious of hitting the wall she over adjusted. Then the giggles set in.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Explains everything but the rock hammer.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_LHbA7JVjc

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Explains everything but the rock hammer.

What rock hammer? That's a bog standard claw hammer she's swinging.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That’s how my great grandpa murdered my great grandma and got away with it. The sketchy, OSHA as gently caress stairs in Philadelphia row houses provided plenty of plausible deniability.

I'm sorry what happened.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proteus Jones posted:

What rock hammer? That's a bog standard claw hammer she's swinging.

I must need glasses, could've sworn that was square head and tapered all the way back to a tip.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phanatic posted:

If we're talking about WWI bombs/shells, then some of the fill explosives can become extremely unstable with time. Picric acid (tinitrophenol) in particular likes to react with metals in a corroding shell or fuse assembly to form picrate salts and when they do it becomes very touchy, and pretty much everyone used picric acid as fill. Lyddite, melinite, ecrasite, these were all picric acid mixtures. Maybe if you've got a lot of water exposure those salts dissolve and wash away, or maybe the shell buried in mud corrodes enough to let in enough water to form those salts but not enough to wash them away, and there's no way to tell by looking at it. You really don't want to gently caress with WW1 UXO, even putting aside the fact that they might have chemical weapon fill that's still really nasty, because even if the fill doesn't detonate picking up a shell and having 100-year-old sulfur mustard spill out all over you is also not good. Occasionally there's still someone who digs into something in France and melts his skin off, or someone goes digging in an old disposal site and gets sick.

That doesn't follow.. That porcelain ball is tied to the fuse, so if you've got a stielhandgranate with a cord hanging out the end of it, there's a fuse in there. Now by the time WWII came around, explosive fill was generally something considerably more stable than TNP, but you still need a small quantity of something less stable in order to set it off, and in a lot of applications including stielhandgranate that thing was lead azide. Lead azide is *generally* pretty safe, but that grenade's fuse assembly has a capsule that contains the friction compound (basically the match head that you ignite when you pull the cord), and that capsule is made from copper. And in the presence of air and moisture, lead azide reacts with copper to form copper azide, and copper azide is goes-off-if-you-look-at-it-funny unstable, and "blow it up in place" is the first choice when disposing of stuff that contains copper azide.

At any point does picric acid degrade to a state where it is nonvolatile? i.e. will all the UXO from WWI begin to turn inert in 2200 or [insert other year here]? For obvious reasons you still have to treat it as if it's dangerous, I'm just wondering if and when it will likely be safer to reinhabit some of those spaces.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Nothing on Earth is truly safe until the shifting tectonic plates drive it down into the molten guts of the planet.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Vakal posted:

Nothing on Earth is truly safe until the shifting tectonic plates drive it down into the molten guts of the planet.
When that happens stuff gets dangerously hot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pickled Tink posted:

When that happens stuff gets dangerously hot.

I don’t think 1500 tons of explosives is going to do a lot of damage to a subduction zone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

I don’t think 1500 tons of explosives is going to do a lot of damage to a subduction zone

braaaaappppp oops I accidentally just cascadia’d myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shooting Blanks posted:

At any point does picric acid degrade to a state where it is nonvolatile? i.e. will all the UXO from WWI begin to turn inert in 2200 or [insert other year here]? For obvious reasons you still have to treat it as if it's dangerous, I'm just wondering if and when it will likely be safer to reinhabit some of those spaces.

Depends who made it, and no, some explosives are surprisingly shelf stable for being so explosive, and theyre almost in the best possible storage (wrt to stability). In a cold, sealed container and away from any oxygen, light and water.

A lot of explosive compounds will just sit there waiting for any sudden energetic input to go off. A common example are old bottles of diethyl ether, which will slowly form very unstable explosive peroxides that will precipitate out of solution, and infamously will just wait for someone to pick up the bottle.

And as for them going inert it depends who made them. The UK used Cordite for a lot of their shells, which in WW1 was a semihard gelled mix of nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. The nitroglycerin will eventually fall out of the mix and crystallize, the form in which its most sensitive. Its Much the same way as dynamite.