Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

speaking of whom, if anyone hasn't seen Resident Alien do yourself a favor, it's a laugh riot

https://i.imgur.com/YbndcoH.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i had to look this up but luthen rael's speech in andor e10 was horrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdJvNLac-M

spoiler but it's so divisive just to me listening to it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

JSON Bourne posted:

andor was apparently going to be 5 seasons but tony gilroy and diego luna realized how insane that was so now seasons 2-5 are going to be compressed into season 2. its a really good show though. i can't believe disney made this, its far and away better than anything star wars maybe ever.

that's not a shock to me, most streaming services intentionally kill shows off after two seasons to generate perpetual hype for the next newest thing that comes up to replace what you've just cancelled three or four times a year

my biggest fear about the B5 remake is that whoever's publishing it is going to look at JMS writing five seasons or whatever and then halfway through filming season 1 they're going to say "yeah so you've got twelve episodes for season 2 and that's it, good luck", then he's going to have to pull a stranger things and make the last four episodes of the season longer than the lord of the rings extended editions

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do wonder whether disney is following *quite* that formula though. they have way deeper pockets, the service not nearly as beholden to the day-by-day numbers. specifically i don't think they go back to the star wars well over and over specifically because the hype is so great or the numbers so high, rather they are building a huge mass of content that they think they can milk for decades.

the two-season-done-hype cycle does have the downside that i think i've forgotten half the shows that were like that already.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ill never watch a star war

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

apparently there’s a new 4K80 beta out so I’m gonna do a machete order this weekend since I have friday off as well

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

girl yoda is a recurring character in the "Tales of the Jedi" animated series that dropped recently. she dies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

if you havent seen it already, i think this really deserves to be seen in context of the entire show. Its amazing in that the speech is kind of a trope that you've seen before, but its written and delivered so well that you actually believe it. stellan skarsgard is just great.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

resident alien wouldnt have been any good if not for twodicks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

jesus WEP posted:

resident alien wouldnt have been any good if not for twodicks

ya he carries literally the entire show on his back it's incredible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

NoneMoreNegative posted:

how about some Alien Big Naturals, that tempt you?

lol holy moly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

ya he carries literally the entire show on his back it's incredible

"alien in a human skin suit, unhappy about the whole thing" is a pretty common character in science fiction, but it's so rarely done well. usually people just play it aloof or menacing. few actors manage to convince you that the alien is genuinely uncomfortable and still figuring out how humans work.

i think the best version of it ever is vincent d'onofrio in men in black, but twodicks in this show is the runner up

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 17, 2022

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the new guillermo del toro show is quite good

though i could watch and listen to deadman talking about basically anything

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

apparently there’s a new 4K80 beta out so I’m gonna do a machete order this weekend since I have friday off as well
machete don't text

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

psiox posted:

the new guillermo del toro show is quite good

though i could watch and listen to deadman talking about basically anything

i quite liked nightmare alley and basically all of his creative output

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the kids cartoon he's somehow associated with is also solid

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

For the ebook-users amongst us, Amazon is dropping a 10.2 inch screen Kindle with pen/ink support at the end of November

There's a good preview here: https://ebookfriendly.com/amazon-kindle-scribe-2022-full-specs/

I like the idea of the big e-ink screen, though its def. not pocket-portable like the regular Kindles, and the pen support - for me at least - is in 'Thats cool but I have zero use cases' territory.

Also its £140 over the top-end Oasis Kindle with the free cellular built in, not cheap - You could consider a base-model iPad for just a bit more.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/boriskarkov/status/1592985294344945671

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol reading DAEMON by Daniel Suarez and it's a killer computer plot set in the mid-late 00's with lots of actual accurate (ish) hacking tools and tech.

I think this is one of those EMPEG Linux car stereo head units I posted about awhile back :o:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw yiss

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For the ebook-users amongst us, Amazon is dropping a 10.2 inch screen Kindle with pen/ink support at the end of November

There's a good preview here: https://ebookfriendly.com/amazon-kindle-scribe-2022-full-specs/

I like the idea of the big e-ink screen, though its def. not pocket-portable like the regular Kindles, and the pen support - for me at least - is in 'Thats cool but I have zero use cases' territory.

Also its £140 over the top-end Oasis Kindle with the free cellular built in, not cheap - You could consider a base-model iPad for just a bit more.

my wife's friend apparently ordered one and wife is very interested in how it is, but i'm not convinced she's do much with it since she only ever uses her ipad to watch videos and browse the internet, when she could certainly do whatever this is doing with it (she even has a pencil!)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

DAEMON by Daniel Suarez

hm ok this was written in 2010 but still, the DAEMON has framed a cop who go too close with a safety deposit full of ten million dollars and a paper trail, and the investigators cannot believe that someone would burn that huge amount of cash to get rid of someone.

After the whole Twitter thing and $billions thrown like drops of water, this is making me lol.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the casual existence of robot motorcycle packs killing people with katanas while cool seems wildly implausible in 2022 even excepting all the other cyberpunk style poo poo. or maybe that stuff's in the sequel since it's the story's really a two book series? It's been a long time since I've read them

I still think AR is eventually going to go in the direction the book supposed, where you've got various info channels you can tune into via glasses and you just subscribe/enable them to get overlays like switching tv channels

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bhodi posted:

the casual existence of robot motorcycle packs killing people with katanas while cool seems wildly implausible in 2022 even excepting all the other cyberpunk style poo poo. or maybe that stuff's in the sequel since it's the story's really a two book series? It's been a long time since I've read them

I still think AR is eventually going to go in the direction the book supposed, where you've got various info channels you can tune into via glasses and you just subscribe/enable them to get overlays like switching tv channels

like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol reading DAEMON by Daniel Suarez and it's a killer computer plot set in the mid-late 00's with lots of actual accurate (ish) hacking tools and tech.

I think this is one of those EMPEG Linux car stereo head units I posted about awhile back :o:

lol that book. keep posting the funny/terrible excerpts please. i think it's on the short list for "worst book i've read"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazinsal posted:

that's not a shock to me, most streaming services intentionally kill shows off after two seasons to generate perpetual hype for the next newest thing that comes up to replace what you've just cancelled three or four times a year

my biggest fear about the B5 remake is that whoever's publishing it is going to look at JMS writing five seasons or whatever and then halfway through filming season 1 they're going to say "yeah so you've got twelve episodes for season 2 and that's it, good luck", then he's going to have to pull a stranger things and make the last four episodes of the season longer than the lord of the rings extended editions

i thought the two season dump thing was largely about making sure contractually-obligated raises don't go into effect, or was that three seasons?

anyway the b5 remake seems much less likely these days, the exec that was championing it has left and the CW is under that shitshow umbrella that led to deranged poo poo like making multiple shows totally unavailable to watch

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Truman Peyote posted:

i'm not surprised it has lower viewership, i kept seeing bus ads for it but didn't know it was star wars until people posted about it here

e: and if i had known it was star wars, i've been burned too many times

part of me wonders how much of the star wars fandom is in it for the space wizards too. one of my friends is like that, she's really into the jedi stuff and the goofy humor and the muppety aliens, and andor has almost none of the stuff about star wars she likes. i mean, hell, we barely even see any aliens in it. it's also just a really dour show, and while i think there's room for that kind of story in the setting, i can see why a lot of other people would be turned off by it.

it doesn't help either that for the first few episodes andor himself was not a terribly likable protagonist. the show's mostly clicking for me now but it doesn't surprise me that it didn't take off.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought the two season dump thing was largely about making sure contractually-obligated raises don't go into effect, or was that three seasons?
two seasons. that's the Netflix Dump effect. they don't wanna pay people more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I feel like eventually producers would wise up and think "okay, if my show goes to Netflix, it's just not going past two seasons" and plan accordingly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I feel like eventually producers would wise up and think "okay, if my show goes to Netflix, it's just not going past two seasons" and plan accordingly

otoh i also feel like eventually netflix would wise up and think "if we have the 9 season obsession of a person then they will always be at some point of the rewatch, so they'll never unsubscribe". which i think is kind of the disney approach, if you're a star wars fan you're always *somewhere* in the watch cycle.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

no, instead they think "my show will be the next stranger things!"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

the good stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

can’t wait for dec 6!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I imagine the performance makes it cause over a series of unrelated images it's flat and boring

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

why would you kneecap yourself like that though. you want unsatisfied fans clamoring for more so either they renew you or you can take one million tweets into your next pitch meeting. you're not making art you're selling content

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

I imagine the performance makes it cause over a series of unrelated images it's flat and boring

yeah i really wish there was a clean cut of that scene but i browsed around youtube and couldn't find one

the stupid star destroyers and whatnot really ruin it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
one more for nmn's snipe gallery
https://twitter.com/genrefilmaddict/status/1593840947309289474

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

can’t wait for dec 6!
same, i'm seeing Kronos Quartet!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

same, i'm seeing Kronos Quartet!

smh seeing live music when you should be watching shaw bros dvds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

greg bear passed away, throwing blood music on the to read pile since the only other one of his I have on hand is eon