Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol yeah after that they started rolling out cable boxes with macrovision. for whatever reason the service level was programmed into the box by the head end

of course that meant that you could just buy an oem cable box online and then program it yourself to allow all of the channels. i forget the specific model but i got some gray panasonic one, which was also my first experience with a comb filter :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

lol yeah after that they started rolling out cable boxes with macrovision. for whatever reason the service level was programmed into the box by the head end

of course that meant that you could just buy an oem cable box online and then program it yourself to allow all of the channels. i forget the specific model but i got some gray panasonic one, which was also my first experience with a comb filter :aaaaa:

the cable company in my parents' area kept their standard analog service going until 2017 or so, and a cable box always cost extra, so we never had a box at any point

we did figure out that we could get watchable pay-per-view by setting it to the proper channel fiddling with the fine tuning controls on the vcr though

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

those jerrold boxes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
free ad-supported isps and adblocking cracks/dialer authentication intercepts

i guess there was a pretty long stretch where i didn't pay for a goddamned thing lol. this is what they took from us

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the pinnacle of .com lols had to be alladvantage. literally money for nothing

at first, people at school used to hook their mice to oscillating fans overnight. then came trembler.exe and the escalating arms race between the company and tools that faked usage. it culminated in SoA (sisterhood of angels), a program that spoofed usage and auto generated massive amounts of fake referral accounts. for a couple months, people made hundreds of dollars from this just by running the program at night. then came the "we can't prove that you've been scamming us, so we're paying you for the last month, but your account is henceforth terminated. gently caress off" letters. the company went out of business a month or two later

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 21, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk how you can talk about early cable tv w/o talking about these guys

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

this is what i remember

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

hello old friend

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sniep posted:

this is what i remember

yeah this is what we had too. the oem panasonic one was maybe 10 years later but it looked almost identical, just gray instead of faux wood panels

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i see rotor has me on ignore.

we had that old school fake wood one with buttons, then later this one:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

those jerrold boxes

man idk what they were called, i just posted the pic, dont hassle me

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sniep posted:

this is what i remember

thinking of how these things accreted the odors of the prior cable company customers’ homes and all smelled like cigarettes

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah this is what we had too. the oem panasonic one was maybe 10 years later but it looked almost identical, just gray instead of faux wood panels

yeah i def had the latter panasonic one too - i think they changed rooms as i was a kid, ended up the woodgrain one was in mom's room and then the kitchen i think got hte panasonic. living room tv i think had a vcr that did tv by that point. idk, but i def remember the boxes

these mfers

then it got all built in and now I have apple TVs on every TV in my house lol. full circle to a device to handle the barrage of bullshit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sniep posted:

yeah i def had the latter panasonic one too - i think they changed rooms as i was a kid, ended up the woodgrain one was in mom's room and then the kitchen i think got hte panasonic. living room tv i think had a vcr that did tv by that point. idk, but i def remember the boxes

these mfers

then it got all built in and now I have apple TVs on every TV in my house lol. full circle to a device to handle the barrage of bullshit

holy poo poo nailed it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

entering hella long decryption keys for the homebrew satcard 4 digits at a time (it piggybacked off the parental lock, which was the only input available)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotor posted:

left knob in the middle, button 32. that’s the Disney channel on that exact cable box that I haven’t used since 1985.

that is permanently seared into my brain.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

anyone else remember watching the prevue channel, waiting on new separators and times to push old separators and times out of the way?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nudgenudgetilt posted:

anyone else remember watching the prevue channel, waiting on new separators and times to push old separators and times out of the way?

of course. also vcr+ codes to record poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rockyou.txt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

kitten smoothie posted:

thinking of how these things accreted the odors of the prior cable company customers’ homes and all smelled like cigarettes

linear power supplies, as switchers were still new gizmos. hence they ran hot, as the tuner and decoder circuits needed more power than you'd think, and linears are at best 50% efficient. this bakes the tar onto the cable box

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Early 2000s Korean online games. Ragnarok Online, Gundbound, Gunz: The Duel, etc. Pretty sure Gunbound was doing free-to-play with microtransactions a decade before mobile gaming ever did.

Edit: I remember when we first got cable broadband internet, downloading the Ragnarok Online client at a rock solid 300 kbps thinking that was the fastest anyone would ever need to download anything.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 21, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pulcinella posted:

Early 2000s Korean online games. Ragnarok Online, Gundbound, Gunz: The Duel, etc. Pretty sure Gunbound was doing free-to-play with microtransactions a decade before mobile gaming ever did.

Edit: I remember when we first got cable broadband internet, downloading the Ragnarok Online client at a rock solid 300 kbps thinking that was the fastest anyone would ever need to download anything.

o poo poo i remember gunbound

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Franz posted:

the pinnacle of .com lols had to be alladvantage. literally money for nothing

at first, people at school used to hook their mice to oscillating fans overnight. then came trembler.exe and the escalating arms race between the company and tools that faked usage. it culminated in SoA (sisterhood of angels), a program that spoofed usage and auto generated massive amounts of fake referral accounts. for a couple months, people made hundreds of dollars from this just by running the program at night. then came the "we can't prove that you've been scamming us, so we're paying you for the last month, but your account is henceforth terminated. gently caress off" letters. the company went out of business a month or two later

In 2010 ish, a friend of mine was running some script he made to continuously do Bing searches, because Microsoft was paying people per search to use it.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

I vaguely remember in the 90s a channel that I think was an oscilloscope at some local cable junction, which displayed some kind of sine wave or signal strength or something. I have no idea what it was for, I'm guessing for someone who worked at the cable company to help them diagnose issues,

Not sure if this really counts as tech poo poo, but

TV Guide, the weekly poo poo quality paper magazine that had the programming schedules for the networks for the week.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Volmarias posted:

In 2010 ish, a friend of mine was running some script he made to continuously do Bing searches, because Microsoft was paying people per search to use it.

they still do, you just need like 25,000 points now for anything worthwhile. before it was like 2,000 or something

my original account got banned for using bingbot but i got like $500 in amazon gift cards before they did lol

https://rewards.microsoft.com

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

I vaguely remember in the 90s a channel that I think was an oscilloscope at some local cable junction, which displayed some kind of sine wave or signal strength or something. I have no idea what it was for, I'm guessing for someone who worked at the cable company to help them diagnose issues,

Not sure if this really counts as tech poo poo, but

TV Guide, the weekly poo poo quality paper magazine that had the programming schedules for the networks for the week.

i think i remember seeing that once or twice on the community bulletin board channel. you'd also catch an amiga desktop there from time to time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i think that was an extremely local cctv feed actually. i remember it being on channel 80 or something and the quality would get noticeably worse at night

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the Disney channel

check out the rich kid with premium cable channels

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sniep posted:

this is what i remember

my dad had one of these

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

we also had an enormous satellite dish (like 8-10 ft diameter) on a pole in our back yard that my dad also used for pirating TV, even though we still paid for cable. i think it was almost more about doing it than needing to do it. he was able to use it to hook me up with those crucial (mostly) descrambled ppv's during the wwf attitude era.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

vcr+ codes to record poo poo

oh man, i remember the family getting a vcr with ShowView code programming (regional name for VCR+). before that, we had a VCR that was programmed using a bar code reader in the remote and a programming sheet like this:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
TV-B-Gone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i had an app that did that with a phone that had an ir emitter several years ago. owned.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Midjack posted:

i had an app that did that with a phone that had an ir emitter several years ago. owned.

fuckin IrDA

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my dad also had one of those tv remote control watches that I think worked just like this.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

phone with ir emitter sounds sick

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

oh man, i remember the family getting a vcr with ShowView code programming (regional name for VCR+). before that, we had a VCR that was programmed using a bar code reader in the remote and a programming sheet like this:

whoa, i've never seen that before. fancy

post hole digger posted:

my huawei mate 10 pro has one. its good

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

they were yeah, there was a great palmos universal remote app back before harmony remotes existed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol the handspring visor had the ir blaster on the side and that pissed me off in indescribable ways

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

rotor posted:

they were yeah, there was a great palmos universal remote app back before harmony remotes existed

Used my Palm to turn off the TV while it was playing a video during Drivers Ed and the instructor threatened everyone what would happen if he figured out who did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

which tech pub got one of those tvoff emitters and went around loving with the displays

i want to say, the verge?