Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

About halfway through the first episode of The Big Brunch. Pretty good so far. Dan makes it a point to educate everyone about caesars :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

About halfway through the first episode of The Big Brunch. Pretty good so far. Dan makes it a point to educate everyone about caesars :discourse:

If the Brunch Show makes it possible for me to get a decent Caesar* while visiting the US it'll be the greatest food show ever.

*Blo Cae

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

If the Brunch Show makes it possible for me to get a decent Caesar* while visiting the US it'll be the greatest food show ever.

*Blo Cae

If you want to get stabbed in the back, I recommend Detroit or Chicago.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7165961885303704878

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

So,

Our flames happened

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Next 3 episodes of The Big Brunch are out. Still hella enjoyable, but not particularly deep. There's a pretty big thing in episode 6 when the dude that created the cronut is the guest judge and the challenge is to create "your it item that would get people lining up around the blocks." Everyone just creates what they think their specialty is which is way off course.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m not sure if I like the big brunch, I was expecting a bit more of a wholesome vibe but the judging has been pretty harsh (especially from Sohla, surprisingly) and it feels mostly like a typical American style competition reality show without much to set it apart. Also they don’t show nearly enough actual cooking.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They're a bit more honest about how much the judges are drinking on set.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

They're a bit more honest about how much the judges are drinking on set.

So... not enough?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It seems like an incredible gig if you’re a judge

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People still care about the cronut?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made fun of those Craigslisters who would pick up a cronut and deliver it in New York for $20-30 because obviously a cronut has to be eaten hot for maximum enjoyment

Then Ansel opened up shop in LA and I got to eat one for myself

They were served room temperature.

I think I’ve made better ones myself with pillsbury croissant dough just by serving them hot out of the fryer

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I made fun of those Craigslisters who would pick up a cronut and deliver it in New York for $20-30 because obviously a cronut has to be eaten hot for maximum enjoyment

Then Ansel opened up shop in LA and I got to eat one for myself

They were served room temperature.

I think I’ve made better ones myself with pillsbury croissant dough just by serving them hot out of the fryer

I'd have to assume that with the fillings and the ganache, a hot cronut isn't even particularly feasible?

anyway, I've had two (Ansel) cronuts in my life and I very much enjoyed them both even at $8 a pop

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Been to Milk Bar a couple of times, and while the cookies were good, I can't say they were worth the price.

That episode is a lot of fun tho. The judges are all visually pissed at the contestants, and then they come back in the second half and nail it. I want to try all those dishes, drat.

In hindsight, it does seem obvious Sohla is going to be the hardest judge to please. She's been doing a lot of goofy cooking challenges post-Bon Appetit, and you get the sense she has a pretty high standard. Both for herself and of others.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 19, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Been to Milk Bar a couple of times, and while the cookies were good, I can't say they were worth the price.

Their packaged line is terrible, its basically identical to chips ahoy with poo poo thrown in for triple the price. The big ticket item at Milk Bar are always going to be the birthday cake truffles and the seasonal cake truffles.

e; their cakes are good too. My wedding cake was their passion fruit with a separate chocolate sheet cake.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 19, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I got given a Milk Bar birthday cake cookie as the dessert on a United flight the other day

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

The Midniter posted:

We just skip the food scientist part now since it doesn't really add anything to the video.

I liked Rosemary Trout, she had a cool name and dominatrix vibes

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I would be a bad parent because if my last name was trout I would name my child rainbow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

thetan_guy42 posted:

I liked Rosemary Trout, she had a cool name and dominatrix vibes

Hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCSfJQq-mmI

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm really liking The Big Brunch way more than GBBO. The food looks great and the reactions to them are very earnest, I like that you get to know the contestants more, and I like that the hosts actually have some semblance of chemistry (and are often pretty funny?). It also helps that it's not a show run by stuffy Brits with questionable tastes.

Kudos also to that bartender who randomly shows up to make cocktails.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If my last name was Trout I'd name my kid Herpes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kilgore

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Big Brunch reaaaaally suffers from Dan Levy getting an opinion on the food. He’s an okay host but obviously a terrible food critic and not an expert. When he talks he either parrots the judges or exposes himself as woefully superficial.

I haven’t been studying this in a systematic way obviously but it also seems like the judges are more likely to praise contestants for authenticity when they’re POC. It’s patronizing.

I wish the show would just focus on the good vibes and not on getting everyone to be their real selves. It’s a bad look when they bait the contestant to make “authentic” food then dunk on it.

Otherwise, I think the show is in a good place. The bartender is a great idea. Sohla has super insightful comments. I appreciate that they got what I think is a pretty diverse slate of contestants. Brunch is a wonderfully eclectic meal and theres a lot of room for creativity.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I give Levy a pass because the show very, very clearly only exists because he wanted to eat good food. He's a kid in a candy shop, and that's fine to me. He's this shows Noel Fielding that also gets to taste the dishes.

The other thing I'm liking about it is their habit of focusing on the contestants future of opening their own restaurant. It's a kind of cool thing to continually remind them of, a prize beyond the show prize.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just caught up with the finale of GBBO and was super glad with the three finalists (two of whom I didn't expect to make it that far) and the right person won.

But holy hell am I imagining it but were these the worst looking final bakes in the show's history? I'm sure they tasted great but they looked roooough to me. Even some of the same bakers' earlier output looked much much better.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I think in recent years they've been really reducing the amount of time for bakes to make them "harder", but it really just results in worse looking results.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I checked out on GBBO when Matt Lucas replaced Sandy. He is the least funny creature alive and iirc that was the season where they really leaned into creating artificial difficulty by just plain not giving people enough time. It’s no fun to watch people make stuff that sucks and know that if they’d just had another hour it would have come out great.

Also I think they should get little liquid nitrogen dewars if they’re still expected to do Chocolate Week outdoors in increasing record-breaking heat.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I don't mind Lucas, but I do still really miss the vibe of the original hosts Mel and Sue. They were light hearted, but didn't veer it as much into absurdism.

I'm happy for Noel Fielding collecting that paycheck, but he's never really felt right on the show to me. Not really sure what he adds outside of being a tender person and good sweaters. The chemistry between the current hosts is very corporate feeling, I guess.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Kind of agree, I like Noel and Matt but Sue and Mel fit the show a lot better imo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think it's just a different vibe but I don't mind it since 3/4 of the judge/host team have been changed since the show started. Matt's improved since last year and Noel adds a dark humour/sardonic element that I enjoy, and I like that both generally have fun chemistry with the contestants and with Prue and Paul. It's not the same as Mel and Sue but they're different people, so it shouldn't be.

Totally agree on figuring out some kind of climate control gimmick for the tent though. If you keep doing ice cream or soft icing-based challenges in sweltering heat and all the poo poo melts, that's on the show, not the bakers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Totally agree on figuring out some kind of climate control gimmick for the tent though. If you keep doing ice cream or soft icing-based challenges in sweltering heat and all the poo poo melts, that's on the show, not the bakers.

yeah i remember complaining about this literally years ago, it seems like they like the drama it causes but that drama sucks! people don't want to see contestants losing because of conditions outside their control, it's actively unfun

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Also get them bigger fridges, it seems like once a season someone can’t find room for their stuff in the fridge or freezer

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

Noel adds a dark humour/sardonic element that I enjoy,

Does he really add a dark humour or does he just look like a fashionable weekend vampire

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Up the challenge time and let the bakers make their bakes tricky rather than forcing drama through dubious structural integrity.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

dubious structural integrity.

Like structural tres leches. Whose idea was that?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

It’s funny that Noel always calls himself a goth, I thought that was only something teenagers in the 90s identified themselves as

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They need to give them the a blast chiller to use. Probably the only area where American baking shows are better, they always have a blast chiller.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They need to give them the a blast chiller to use. Probably the only area where American baking shows are better, they always have a blast chiller.

The GBBO remit is that you’re baking like you’re at home, as these are all amateur home bakers. No one has a blast freezer at home.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but no one is baking outdoors at home either so maybe they could level things out a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The GBBO remit is that you’re baking like you’re at home, as these are all amateur home bakers. No one has a blast freezer at home.

I think the 'bake like you're at home' thing rings hollow when they're asking you to make a 3-tiered freestanding bread sculpture of your favourite British historian in a sweltering outdoor venue. You know, as you do at home.

Give them some dry ice, as a treat.