Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Turning Red does feel like the first one in a long time that has an interesting, distinctive art style that works well with the story they're telling. Coco had the Pixar look but was really good with fantastic music, which goes a long way.

I'm consistently entertained by Miller and Lord's stuff but I find it lacks the pathos of the better Pixar efforts (except Spider-Verse, that one works on all levels).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Neat! Searching was real good

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know there needs to be bitter and sweet in these movies, but re: Onward, I found the idea that a kid gets one chance to meet his dead dad and then completely blowing it to be unbearably heartbreaking, and I felt like poo poo for everyone involved. I'm an older brother and a dad and it's not the same thing, trying to equate them rang so hollow to me.
I didn't really like Onward, but I think this particular point varies amongst people. I have the same experience as you that being a mom is different than being an older sibling, but my wife and her sister very much were moms for my brother-in-law. I'm not sure if Onward really earns that emotional beat, but I think some people can relate to the premise more than others. My wife accidentally calls my son her brother's name like all the time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I loved Turning Red, though some of that is Toronto bias, but neither I or my kids liked Soul or Onward at all.

As a non-Canadian I loved Turning Red. Felt like something much more significant than a lot of recent era Pixar stuff.

Could not stand Soul, such a waste of Jamie Foxx and all the folks who put a lot of effort in behind the scenes.

Liked Coco a lot but the presence of an Americanized border crossing being such a prominent framing for the story kind of took me out of the movie every time it showed up.

Brave was really good albeit felt a little misfire-ish. Same for Inside Out - which apparently they're making another one? That's...not encouraging.

Incredibles is my favorite Pixar movie by a large margin, so I should probably get around to watching the sequel but not exactly in a rush for obvious reasons.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F8MOz_IDw

Starting to get some semblance of a plot.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 22, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F8MOz_IDw

Starting to get some semblance of a plot.

I hope that dope looking mech army wins

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Avatar: Sea World looks bad. I can't help but feel like the lack of humans in this is going to affect the box office?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Avatar: Sea World looks bad. I can't help but feel like the lack of humans in this is going to affect the box office?

Oh, did you not like the shot in this new trailer where they clearly wanted you to think, "That blue alien lady is hot af"?

I will never understand Avatar. (And yes, I understand the irony of my...avatar being a...blue person. God dammit.)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thrawn would wipe out this civilization after ten minutes of staring at their clam shell decorations

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im loving the ps3 tech demo aesthetic theyve got going on. the light bounces off the water it's so real looking!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Venuz Patrol posted:

im loving the ps3 tech demo aesthetic theyve got going on. the light bounces off the water it's so real looking!

Either you're watching these at upscaled 480p or something, or you have entirely misremembered what PS3 tech demos looked like, or you have a brain bleed. I hope it's the first two.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I loving love Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water looks goddamn amazing to me. LIKE GODDAMN I TELL YA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Under the sea
under the sea
we gently caress our mares
with our own hairs
if you Na'vi

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will go see the blue alien movie and none of you can stop me.

here’s a trailer for a Netflix dumb idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGk3sRxjYM

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Avatar 2 looks visually spectacular. I'm down for Cameron's underwater action spectacle. Turnout for the rerelease of the first film seemed to indicate strong interest in the sequel, from what I had read. Though I was reading stuff based on Asia.

Never got the complaint about it not being the most original narrative framework. The biggest franchise in the world right now regularly finds success with formulaic superhero stories. Action blockbusters are normally about scene-by-scene execution and spectacle, two things Cameron excels at.

I don't know, maybe this will be the first time people forecasting a Cameron flop will be right, but it looks like fun to me.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
With Cameron's love of deep sea exploration, I bet this film is close to his heart. Sure, narrative notes may seem familiar, but the world needs a pro-ecology and pro-native-rights message now and again. (And if not now, then when?)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna see avatar 2 but I’m in no way hyped for it and only seeing out of a sense of obligation and curiosity for a film I’ve long long since fell out of love of.

I saw these kinda neat avatar toys at target and thought…maybe…but every time I imagine owning one I realize how little I care about everything in that movie lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna see avatar 2 but I’m in no way hyped for it and only seeing out of a sense of obligation and curiosity for a film I’ve long long since fell out of love of.

I saw these kinda neat avatar toys at target and thought…maybe…but every time I imagine owning one I realize how little I care about everything in that movie lol

You just reminded me that I need to pick up one of those mini banshees for my desk lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They look nice, not going to lie. I’ll pick up the mech suit on clearance

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gimme Alita 2 instead.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Looks like a remake of the first movie, which is absolutely fine if you're into that kind of thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gimme Alita 2 instead.

Disney prolly waiting to see Avatar 2 box office before giving Cameron and RR money for their Alita 2 passion project. So true Alita fans should be rooting for Avatar 2 to do well, imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where’s Edge of Tomorrow 2: Live Die Repeat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gimme Alita 2 instead.

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gimme Alita 2 instead.

good god 1000 times this

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Alita was QUITE mediocre

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Y’all Alita 2 wanters gotta believe the advances in tech Jim Cameron made on Avatar 2 will be applied to an Alita sequel. Trust the process my fellow big eye lovers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Good luck trusting Disney when it comes to eye size

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alita is definitely a combination of all of Cameron's fetishes. A transhuman latina who can breath underwater and lift an IMAX camera with one hand.

And I am completely fine with that as a fan of latinas, petite women and cyborgs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Alita is definitely a combination of all of Cameron's fetishes. A transhuman latina who can breath underwater and lift an IMAX camera with one hand.

And I am completely fine with that as a fan of latinas, petite women and cyborgs.

Nah, tbh it's Rodriguez through and through. And I hope he does the sequel, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone posted:

Y’all Alita 2 wanters gotta believe the advances in tech Jim Cameron made on Avatar 2 will be applied to an Alita sequel. Trust the process my fellow big eye lovers.

:swoon: :roboluv: :swoon:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I got used to blue dudes but Alita never stopped creeping me out. And there’s just no reason for her to look so weird.

I like the manga a bit but that adaptation was a big miss for me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

kiimo posted:

Where’s Edge of Tomorrow 2: Live Die Repeat

...surely all you'd need to do is re-watch the first movie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

I got used to blue dudes but Alita never stopped creeping me out. And there’s just no reason for her to look so weird.

She looks the way she does in the film because she’s martian.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I like the manga a bit but that adaptation was a big miss for me.

she from mars

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nah, tbh it's Rodriguez through and through. And I hope he does the sequel, too.

Oh no, the latina part is Cameron too. Michelle Rodriguez was in Avatar (also hope she returns in Alita 2), Natalia Reyes plays the savior of humanity in Terminator: Dark Fate, and Dark Angel had Jessica Alba play a supersoldier. This probably goes all the way back to Vasquez.

Probably why he gets along with Robert Rodriguez so much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Oh no, the latina part is Cameron too. Michelle Rodriguez was in Avatar (also hope she returns in Alita 2), Natalia Reyes plays the savior of humanity in Terminator: Dark Fate, and Dark Angel had Jessica Alba play a supersoldier. This probably goes all the way back to Vasquez.

Probably why he gets along with Robert Rodriguez so much.

Oh I see what you mean. Roger.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Martians having big eyes wasn’t a manga thing though and it doesn’t really add anything to make that a trait. It was just a movie justification for them wanting to give her big eyes…

…and it creeps me out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alita was fun whenever the movie didn't focus on the lovely romance plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Martians having big eyes wasn’t a manga thing though and it doesn’t really add anything to make that a trait. It was just a movie justification for them wanting to give her big eyes…

…and it creeps me out.

Yes, I've read the original manga several times over. But your argument was that there's no reason for her to have big eyes, which was wrong, because they gave a reason in the film. Just making a point is all. I get why people are averse to the visual though. Live-action big anime eyes aren't for everyone, lol. Even I didn't like it initially when I saw the first teaser. It grew on me as I saw more trailers, and eventually ended up loving her design after seeing the film (I saw it 5 times in the theater).