Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think this falls under the broader umbrella of “hot take”?

https://twitter.com/ycsm1n/status/1594876674512146432

I bet DAs just love dropping murder charges down to manslaughter for killing people. I wonder what the actual story here was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's lots of ways to handle the grieving process

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

ikanreed posted:

I bet DAs just love dropping murder charges down to manslaughter for killing people. I wonder what the actual story here was.

Stray bullet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i kept waiting for the inevitable "we live together now and my previous husband was a giant shithead" plot twist and it never happened??

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
https://twitter.com/extra_dizzy/status/1594930676494745600?s=46&t=bH0sWZ3TjAy7JUNEQcfvrw

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do you like have to dance to say things on tiktok

is this a rule, does moderation enforce it

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

[ASK] me about the worst thing that ever happened to me (MOD CHALLENGE ON PAGE 8)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why would you post that?
Who is it for?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

loquacius posted:

No, not at all. There's plenty of people posting tons of videos with zero dancing

But if you want the likes and comments and the views, you better dance your heart out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Honestly super suspicious of anything coming from tiktok

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

IIRC it initially had something to do with fooling the algorithm but who knows anymore

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

christmas boots posted:

IIRC it initially had something to do with fooling the algorithm but who knows anymore

It would be hilarious if it was an algorithm thing but enough people saw it that it became a socially enforced “this is just how you express yourself” thing. god the future rocks

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm all for grieving in whatever way works for people, but she has a video where she explains that she dances because she's finally got to a point in her life where she is happy, has re-married, had another kid etc.

Which is all well and good, but her entire Tiktok persona is "the singing widow" who dances while talking about her dead ex-husband constantly. Seems super loving unhealthy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cmndstab posted:

I'm all for grieving in whatever way works for people, but she has a video where she explains that she dances because she's finally got to a point in her life where she is happy, has re-married, had another kid etc.

Which is all well and good, but her entire Tiktok persona is "the singing widow" who dances while talking about her dead ex-husband constantly. Seems super loving unhealthy.

the internet doesn't just make you stupid, it's invented all sorts of new ways to gently caress with your brain

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

StashAugustine posted:

the internet doesn't just make you stupid, it's invented all sorts of new ways to gently caress with your brain

Yeah, I feel like in a past era should would have found some creative outlet for this, maybe a scrapbook or whatever, and the "reward" for doing so would be a sense of closure, a feeling of satisfaction, whatever. Whereas now she gets to watch her numbers go up with every video and suddenly she is incentivised to re-live it over and over again.

Fair enough if it works for her, but if I was her new husband I'd be a little bit concerned that her entire internet identity is dancing about her dead ex-husband.

cmndstab has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Nov 23, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cmndstab posted:

Yeah, I feel like in a past era should would have found some creative outlet for this, maybe a scrapbook or whatever, and the "reward" for doing so would be a sense of closure, a feeling satisfaction, whatever. Whereas now she gets to watch her numbers go up with every video and suddenly she is incentivised to re-live it over and over again.

Fair enough if it works for her, but if I was her new husband I'd be a little bit concerned that her entire internet identity is dancing about her dead ex-husband.
In the past there would've been dances, potlucks, quilting bees, concerts, sports events, holiday celebrations, picnics, solemn commemorations, all these very public events in her community that she could show off in, and dance out her grief, rather than the empty 21st century pleasure of making videos for strangers on the internet

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Broadlybrowsing posted:

It would be hilarious if it was an algorithm thing but enough people saw it that it became a socially enforced “this is just how you express yourself” thing. god the future rocks
algorithms are unaliving civilization

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i wonder what it’s like seeing your dead son or brother or close friend used as branding device for his widow for (i assume if her name is the singing widow) years

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/AnthonySabatini/status/1594430430950084608

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Getting very disappointed when I'm invited as the centerpiece of a "mass stoning"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Party Boat posted:

[ASK] me about the worst thing that ever happened to me (MOD CHALLENGE ON PAGE 8)

lmao

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

making the horse cum chapter of Ezekiel into the core curriculum to own the libs

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Psalm 137:9 posted:

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Does it have to be King James specifically? I would think that if you were to deploy any kind of holy text as a sigil against harm you'd want the material used to be as close to the original as possible

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
King James Version has a special spot in the brainworms of hardcore zealots

like famously Jack Chick insisted that it was the only true version and all others had been tampered with by the devil

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Does it have to be King James specifically? I would think that if you were to deploy any kind of holy text as a sigil against harm you'd want the material used to be as close to the original as possible

There's a weird faction in american protestantism that believes that the King James bible was either directly dictated by god or at least divinely inspired somehow.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

For these people it's just another fact of the religion, like Noah's flood or Jesus' resurrection, that the KJV is a perfect translation of the Bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Only_movement

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I ain’t letting my kid learn no jew language.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The new testament was written primarily in greek

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The KJV was a pretty massive undertaking and pretty good for its time but I think the main thing to note about it is that it had a wealth of influence on English culture and literature and I can’t imagine that isn’t really at the heart of it — it’s not about the scripture but about the glory of Western Civilization

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1595507706269470724/pu/vid/640x360/Y9jx1wUc6YBPKtbz.mp4?tag=12

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Am I supposed to... cum on the rocks?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Not so much a Hot Take as it is Poe's Law triggering, "oh he's serious"

https://twitter.com/DrEricKuelker/status/1595469703199469573

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Maximo Roboto posted:

Not so much a Hot Take as it is Poe's Law triggering, "oh he's serious"

https://twitter.com/DrEricKuelker/status/1595469703199469573

And this person's deal is apparently selling his brand of "all mental illness is actually repressed trauma" pseudoscience.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Boring. That's just Scientology without the lore. So, Dianetics.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if the shooter has a .22, maybe, but you'll want the apocrypha to help stop larger bullets

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Look at this person using the satanic 1769 modified text not the true King James of 1611.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

And this person's deal is apparently selling his brand of "all mental illness is actually repressed trauma" pseudoscience.

Nah, I'm mentally ill and my trauma is all out in the open.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Weembles posted:

There's a weird faction in american protestantism that believes that the King James bible was either directly dictated by god or at least divinely inspired somehow.
when i was still deliberately getting into internet arguments on religion, there was one guy i'd butt heads with pretty regularly who insisted that the KJV was the only "correct" bible because it said "Authorized Version" right there on it.

no amount of pointing out that this meant "authorized for use in the church of england" ever got through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy