Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm reading Michael MacDowell's The Amulet, the audiobook, and it's pretty great

Oops, lovely snipe. It's really creepy and I think I might like it a little more than the Elementals.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Amulet is much better imo. McDowell is great at writing a particular brand of awful old southern woman that is super accurate. Anytime Jo talks you just wanna reach into the book and strangle her.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The Best of Richard Matheson ebook has been on sale for very cheap. I bought it on my nook for $3. Seems like amazon has it too

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i just finished devolution and it was completely Fine. it somehow didn't include any of the things that make isolated-community type stories interesting? like, the characters are too broad--there's not really any interplay or sharing of skillsets aside from "somehow the lovely husband is suddenly a handyman" and "the foodies have good knives". it just seems like it's meant to be hammered out into a screenplay more than anything. exciting, though.

Weeks late, but how does he "turn into a handyman"?

He's like, lifting things and stuff. That's not a transformation, that's just like, doing basic poo poo.

But yeah, the characters are paper thin to the point of being all but non-existent. If you hang out with enough boomer and late gen X hippies you'll see some very specific stereotypes in there but that's all it is. They're puddle-deep and only exist to move the action forward, but at least Brooks is being honest about it and the action is decent.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Read The Grip of It and I can't remember the last time I disliked a book as much as this. Very minimal horror elements, the increasingly stream of consciousness writing style was annoying and the main characters were both flat as hell.

Did anyone read it? Have a positive opinion on it?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Read The Grip of It and I can't remember the last time I disliked a book as much as this. Very minimal horror elements, the increasingly stream of consciousness writing style was annoying and the main characters were both flat as hell.

Did anyone read it? Have a positive opinion on it?

I don't remember much of it, which probably speaks to how much I liked it, but my vague recollection was similar to yours, where I felt it lost the thread toward the end and I started skimming a bit. I wouldn't say it's the worst thing, but it didn't really do much for me. A few unsettling beats but that's it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Felt like rereading Carrier Wave the other day and got up to the end of the chapter in the Costco (just before the first pig chapter) and decided ‘the world is just like this forever now’ ~THE END~ and book is good

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just finished Jawbone by Monica Ojeda, translated from Spanish by Sarah Booker. Great, great book, probably my favorite I've read this year. It's much more literary than I expected picking it up, but it definitely has the goods. Basically, it's cosmic horror where the ancient unknowable evil is women's bodies and puberty.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Halfway through We Are Here To Hurt Each Other; loving it! It’s very Clive-Barker-meets-Poppy-Z-Brite so far which is my jam.

Any reccos for The Puppet King and Other Atonements? It’s a pretty frequent suggestion via Amazon; most of my Kindle stuff swings from Ligotti to Langan to Ballingrud.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Franchescanado posted:

I've got a few chapters left in The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum.

I've only heard it discussed in terms of how disturbing it is. And it is disturbing. I think what gets missed in the discussion is how well it's written, how it doesn't feel exploitative, how it's kind of meditative on cruelty, pain, suffering, sadism, and human behavior, and that it's compelling despite the ever mounting dread of things getting worse for the titular character, Meg.

Also, it's just more sad than it is disturbing. Yeah, I've been disturbed, but the darkness of human depravity is outweighed by the senseless suffering of a powerless teenager with no course of action but to try and be strong in the face of death.

I may post more thoughts when it's done. I'm surprised by how compelling the whole thing has been. I never thought I'd read it. It always felt like a book edgelords recommend, which is not justice to this book. I'm glad I gave it a chance, even if I feel weird recommending it or considering it "good".

Are you reading the original print, or the Uncut version?

Never heard of this book before so I looked it up and it’s based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens :allbuttons:

The gently caress is wrong with people :barf:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MLSM posted:

Never heard of this book before so I looked it up and it’s based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens :allbuttons:

O her.

Yeah that's not a fun wikicrawl. Whole thing is just a giant trap for curious people. You will gain nothing of value, it's just a long list of hosed up poo poo referencing other hosed up poo poo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

MLSM posted:

This is standard Ketchum stuff.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Hello, horror thread. This yea'rs TBB Secret Santa is on, and I invite all here to participate. It went excellently last year, with horror being noticeably represented among the gifts received, and I'd love to see a repeat!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

O her.

Yeah that's not a fun wikicrawl. Whole thing is just a giant trap for curious people. You will gain nothing of value, it's just a long list of hosed up poo poo referencing other hosed up poo poo.

The coolest part is how little punishment all of them caught for this.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Amulet was awesome. I liked it more than the Elementals although I can see how the Elementals is the more popular of the two. I did both of these in audiobooks and they were fantastic.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finished Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. I know it's a bit more of a thriller than horror, but I feel like so much of the novel is built on dread and the violence and the almost supernatural aspects of the Red Dragon killer push it into horror. Either way, it was an excellent book.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The coolest part is how little punishment all of them caught for this.

This makes adapting the story into a novel even more complicated. The crimes in the book are more gruesome than was was detailed in the trial, but the novel also has a greater punishment for the characters and their crimes. But yeah, the actual adult woman in charge of all of it got released because she was a "reformed Christian woman". Even though she denied the crimes originally by saying she was a "good Christian woman".

escape artist posted:

The Amulet was awesome. I liked it more than the Elementals although I can see how the Elementals is the more popular of the two. I did both of these in audiobooks and they were fantastic.

I'm halfway through the audiobook for The Amulet. I put it on while doing chores and I listened for 5 straight hours. It's been fun so far. Jo is awful.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 7, 2022

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I read a handful of books for spooky season, and here's what turned out.

The Color Out of Time: I'm mixed on this one, mostly because of how it misses the thematic mark as sequel to the original story. It feels kind of small and reductive to go from an unknowable, weird lifeform to something petty and vengeful. I enjoyed the dynamic between the over-the-hill professors and a bunch of normie campers who reject their attempts to harsh their good times with facts and figures. Our protagonists are absolutely sloshed with alcohol throughout the story, so I think it's with good reason that everyone dismisses them as cranks in the lead up to a climactic showdown. As a pastiche, it rings authentic, except for the inclusion of a woman as a protagonist!
TLDR: we live in a society

Fellstones: Ramsey Campbell's latest is familial abuse as horror. It's a real slow burn of a weird tale and it really drags in the middle. But I also think that's kind of the point with a protagonist suffering from arrested development.

Ghost Story: I think at the time this was meant to be a modernization of the classic ghost story (ghosts are memories of guilt and trauma!), but in 2022 it's such a throw back. There's good stuff here for sure with lovely prose and a terrific job done of making the town a character in a story about generational trauma infecting an idyllic community. But in a story that explores the toxicity of masculine archetypes it really falls on it's face when the best solution is violence against women. Also those crimes and abuse against women that set up the story are totally fine because they were ghoulies.

I watched the 1980s adapted film, and it's even worse in its theme because it doubled down on the woman scorned trope. I did actually enjoy that movie for it's amazing cast and old- school sensibilities, anyway.

Something Wicked this Way Comes: I get why people balk at the florid prose, but this was such a pleasure to read. This is less of a throwback and more of a tour through an earlier time -- though admittedly idealized for it's innocence.

My Work is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Horror
These were a blast to read. They're super exploitative and nihilistic, but still a great romp through neoliberalism run amok.

Dracula: I revisited this with the Dracula Daily substack sending me emails for each journal entry date since last May. It just wrapped up today. Enough has been said about this book already, but I'll say if you've only ever seen movies there's lots of great stuff here that's never been adapted.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 8, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Just finished The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. What an utterly terrifying, atmospheric story. The detail of the region they were stuck in was incredible.
It’s quite surreal when you realize this was written in 1907! I can see why this was Lovecraft’s favorite story. I think I’ll do The Wendigo next.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MLSM posted:

Just finished The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. What an utterly terrifying, atmospheric story. The detail of the region they were stuck in was incredible.
It’s quite surreal when you realize this was written in 1907! I can see why this was Lovecraft’s favorite story. I think I’ll do The Wendigo next.

"The Wendigo" is my favorite horror short story. Just like "The Willows" it's perfectly paced and is the pinnacle of, like, "wilderness horror" but imo "The Wendigo" has stronger character writing. It's the best.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"The Wendigo" is my favorite horror short story. Just like "The Willows" it's perfectly paced and is the pinnacle of, like, "wilderness horror" but imo "The Wendigo" has stronger character writing. It's the best.

I just finished The Wendigo 10 min ago! It owned, and the sense of both scenery and dread in both stories is remarkable. I really admire his ability to imbue descriptions of the natural world and the environment with a veneer of malice and dangerous foreboding.

I’ll pick up his collection “Incredible Adventures” next. ST Joshi says it’s the best collection of horror stories published in the 20th century so why not

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Lovecraft repeatedly called The Willows his favorite weird story in various letters. The Swede (?) companion guy in the story all but defines the "old weird," genre-wise, when stuff starts getting spooky. It's also one of the most nature-y weird stories I've read. The pastoral descriptions of the river were nice.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone read any of the Hexslinger stuff by Gemma Files?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Carrier Wave is pretty neat.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Carrier Wave has one of the worst tone shifts that I've ever seen. The first half was super bleak and kind of interesting, but then Princess Sparkle Pig out of nowhere...

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Paddyo posted:

Carrier Wave has one of the worst tone shifts that I've ever seen. The first half was super bleak and kind of interesting, but then Princess Sparkle Pig out of nowhere...

Oh no... I guess I haven't gotten far enough 😬

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
You'll definitely know when you get there! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paddyo posted:

Yeah that book needed an editor to rein it in, there was a good novel inside it somewhere.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Recommending this method again

Good Citizen posted:

Felt like rereading Carrier Wave the other day and got up to the end of the chapter in the Costco (just before the first pig chapter) and decided ‘the world is just like this forever now’ ~THE END~ and book is good

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
Currently reading Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes and, ugh, it's not good. The premise is really intriguing: in 2149 AD, a repair crew in space stumble upon a luxury space vessel (basically a cruise ship, but in space) that disappeared two decades prior. They decide to investigate and things go south real quick.

I'm halfway through and I'm dragging. The dialogue is annoying and poorly written, the descriptions of the science-y stuff is confusing, and there's not enough spooky stuff. Wondering if I should quit or press on.

Next up in my reading queue is Mexican Gothic, which I've heard good things about.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

OhAreThey posted:

Currently reading Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes and, ugh, it's not good. The premise is really intriguing: in 2149 AD, a repair crew in space stumble upon a luxury space vessel (basically a cruise ship, but in space) that disappeared two decades prior. They decide to investigate and things go south real quick.

I'm halfway through and I'm dragging. The dialogue is annoying and poorly written, the descriptions of the science-y stuff is confusing, and there's not enough spooky stuff. Wondering if I should quit or press on.

Next up in my reading queue is Mexican Gothic, which I've heard good things about.

I read the whole thing around when it came out and wish I hadn't. If you're not liking it so far, it honestly only gets worse. The reveals to the mysteries are all pretty cheesy or just deflate what interesting parts did exist, imo. I had really wanted it to be good (maybe my expectations were too high), but was left really disappointed.

I did like Mexican Gothic a lot, though! It's maybe not a 5/5 but it's really solid and has some good Shirley-Jackson-esque (but more outwardly paranormal) spooky bits.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really need to get around to Mexican Gothic, the author is a friend of a friend so it's been sitting on my list for a long time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked carrier wave at the time but it definitely got too comfortable with its own premise

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

DurianGray posted:

I read the whole thing around when it came out and wish I hadn't. If you're not liking it so far, it honestly only gets worse. The reveals to the mysteries are all pretty cheesy or just deflate what interesting parts did exist, imo. I had really wanted it to be good (maybe my expectations were too high), but was left really disappointed.

I did like Mexican Gothic a lot, though! It's maybe not a 5/5 but it's really solid and has some good Shirley-Jackson-esque (but more outwardly paranormal) spooky bits.

Thanks for your thoughts! Sounds like Dead Silence will be a DNF for me.

Sphyrnidae
Sep 5, 2020
After finally getting around to playing through the Dead Space trilogy this year, I wanted to find some books that would scratch that same 'weird tense space horror' itch and picked up a few purely based on recent lists I found on Reddit, Goodreads etc. Dead Silence was one of those and unfortunately I have to agree with others here that it definitely fell short. It started off alright, easy to get into, but I was eventually disappointed with where the narrative decided to go.

As for the others, I just finished Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three and while this one ended up being lighter on the horror that I wanted, it ended up being kind of a thoughtful little story, if a bit vague. Some reviewers were comparing it to the film Pandorum, I can see a bit of that in it.

Next up for attempt #3 is Richard Paul Russo's Unto Leviathan (also seen it around as Ship of Fools), only a few chapters in and the setting already has my interest. The blurb alone has so much promise aaaaah please live up to expectations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sphyrnidae posted:

Next up for attempt #3 is Richard Paul Russo's Unto Leviathan (also seen it around as Ship of Fools), only a few chapters in and the setting already has my interest. The blurb alone has so much promise aaaaah please live up to expectations.

I have some good news for you...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sphyrnidae posted:

After finally getting around to playing through the Dead Space trilogy this year, I wanted to find some books that would scratch that same 'weird tense space horror' itch and picked up a few purely based on recent lists I found on Reddit, Goodreads etc. Dead Silence was one of those and unfortunately I have to agree with others here that it definitely fell short. It started off alright, easy to get into, but I was eventually disappointed with where the narrative decided to go.

The actual Dead Space books are pretty good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Decided to read Cabin at the End of the World in anticipation of the movie and I really liked it. First time in a long time I stayed up too late because I couldn't stop reading. Not sure how I feel about the ending, but it was better than I expected, You can really only end something like this a couple ways and none of them are very narrativly satisfying, so leaving it ambiguous was probably the best choice.
I also really liked the first/third person narrative shifts in the last chapter, that was a cool trick

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I've been trying to remember a horror story and maybe you folks can help. It was online and was presented as a series of journal entries (I think). The protagonist was a scientist at a base studying a slowly expanding zone of weirdness. It's not Annihilation but had things like green and red zones and an underground structure of some sort.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ham Cheeks posted:

I've been trying to remember a horror story and maybe you folks can help. It was online and was presented as a series of journal entries (I think). The protagonist was a scientist at a base studying a slowly expanding zone of weirdness. It's not Annihilation but had things like green and red zones and an underground structure of some sort.

Sounds like The Sick Land to me, though I only ever encountered it as a blog, I don't think it was ever published in a traditional format.

http://thesickland.blogspot.com/2013/03/last-day.html?m=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Sounds like The Sick Land to me, though I only ever encountered it as a blog, I don't think it was ever published in a traditional format.

http://thesickland.blogspot.com/2013/03/last-day.html?m=0

Is it any good?