Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Now I’m kinda wondering, can a weaponized devil just turn back to normal by drinking enough blood? It would be pretty funny if Denji just turned into a sentient chainsaw for a bit and then popped back to normal after experiencing excruciating pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The guy who literally split himself into two people a couple of times would probably bounce back from being a weapon okay

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

The guy who literally split himself into two people a couple of times would probably bounce back from being a weapon okay

Of course, we've seen that Zombie and Doll can't do anything to Denji or fiends, so it's unclear if War's powers would even work.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The thing I love the most about this manga is that everyone is a giant stupid idiot liar lol.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Al-Saqr posted:

The thing I love the most about this manga is that everyone is a giant stupid idiot liar lol.

Everyone living. RIP Aki

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Been kinda funny reading the anime thread and their general discussion of Himeno and Makima. All of it makes me so excited to read reactions tomorrow.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I reread a bunch over the past week because I couldn't quite remember the exact details of a lot of it. Tomorrow should be pretty much where he turns the knob past 10 and snaps it off right?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a kitten posted:

I reread a bunch over the past week because I couldn't quite remember the exact details of a lot of it. Tomorrow should be pretty much where he turns the knob past 10 and snaps it off right?

Yeah

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

a kitten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXD5-o_5PdY

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Been kinda funny reading the anime thread and their general discussion of Himeno and Makima. All of it makes me so excited to read reactions tomorrow.

I also love that the trailer for next episode makes it look like Denji and Himeno hosed.

(I am so tempted to bring up that Himeno is Mengo Yokoyari's favorite character.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well there we go then :unsmigghh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I also love that the trailer for next episode makes it look like Denji and Himeno hosed.

(I am so tempted to bring up that Himeno is Mengo Yokoyari's favorite character.)

There’s so many things I want to talk to them about, including the symbolism of cigarettes and Himenos coping mechanisms but it’s probably more fun for them to work it out on their own.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Someone in the anime thread got spoiled googling a character's name for spelling purposes cause the first few things that come up are massive spoilers. Figured it was probably Aki, checked and the first few blurbs are about him being the gun fiend and dying. Although that's probably a problem for a lot of the characters in this series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brightman posted:

Someone in the anime thread got spoiled googling a character's name for spelling purposes cause the first few things that come up are massive spoilers. Figured it was probably Aki, checked and the first few blurbs are about him being the gun fiend and dying. Although that's probably a problem for a lot of the characters in this series.

Makima's even worse, since she's the control devil. But Himeno dies, Pochita eats concepts, Denji eats Makima, Arai is Violence, Power dies and comes back and dies, Kobeni sets a DDR high score...

Everybody's got surprises.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I somehow entirely missed Arai is Violence? Lol

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Azran posted:

I somehow entirely missed Arai is Violence? Lol

It wasn't explicitly confirmed but the faces do match and drat it makes sense

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does it? Devils take over bodies when they’re in dire straits themselves. So that would mean violence was around when Arai died which doesn’t track I don’t think. I also don’t imagine Makima kept his body on ice to hand over to a devil later.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really like Fujimoto’s art but if you go by who looks alike then you’re going to end up thinking a lot of people are related

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

EmmyOk posted:

Does it? Devils take over bodies when they’re in dire straits themselves. So that would mean violence was around when Arai died which doesn’t track I don’t think. I also don’t imagine Makima kept his body on ice to hand over to a devil later.

Keeping corpses on ice to give to desperate devils absolutely feels like a Makima Thing, though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Keeping corpses on ice to give to desperate devils absolutely feels like a Makima Thing, though

It just doesn’t feel like she’s need to really. On site procurement of corpses ala angel wouldn’t be an issue for her I think

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's never stated, but it's hinted the Violence Fiend is indeed Arai. They look identical beyond the usual Fiend changes, Violence only appears after Arai died, both of them are Kobeni's partners (heightened by the fact that Violence specifically remembers his entire human life and wasn't overtaken by the Devil's will), the anime opening specifically doesn't show Violence in the cinema scene even though the rest of the main cast is in (because Arai is there). I think it's all but certain they'll have the same VA once Violence appears in the anime too.

I think it's pretty safe to conclude that the Violence Devil did indeed take over Arai's dead body.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They have the same hair but I don't know if that's enough for me to say they're identical. It also just feels like a mechanically weird idea in universe for it to be Arai even if it was narratively nice. It's a neat idea though.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

the only real defining feature that's different between Galgali/Violence Fiend and Arai is his facial scar, but presumably becoming a fiend could mean healing that wound? Cosmo is pretty significantly disfigured though so idk what the rules are there but that's the only thing that would make me doubt that Arai is Violence

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Bread Set Jettison posted:

they're 100% gonna leave it on a cliffhanger when makima gets shot in the head or something, the reactions are gonna be great

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I'm already thinking about possible eventual reactions to santa, pt 1 ending, etc. and lolling to myself. I really hope they end up adapting all of pt 1 at least

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

JoeGlassJAw posted:

the only real defining feature that's different between Galgali/Violence Fiend and Arai is his facial scar, but presumably becoming a fiend could mean healing that wound? Cosmo is pretty significantly disfigured though so idk what the rules are there but that's the only thing that would make me doubt that Arai is Violence

The face scar and Makima’s tendency to force contracts makes me assume yeah it’s possible. It’s honestly more fun that it won’t ever be confirmed tbqh.

hbag posted:

they're 100% gonna leave it on a cliffhanger when makima gets shot in the head or something, the reactions are gonna be great

My theory is that’s the cold open. First Denji turns down himeno then boom headshot then roll the theme. My feeling is the end of the episode is either Aki fake out or Himeno’s death.

Spoilering for the sake of nosey anime onlys.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

nah they gotta introduce angel and beam n poo poo before that iirc

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I didn’t realize we weren’t getting a manga issue this week :thumbsdown:

E: vvv lol yes

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 29, 2022

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
assuming you mean the opposite of what you said

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

https://twitter.com/SantanaelChan/status/1597254529397182464

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hbag posted:

nah they gotta introduce angel and beam n poo poo before that iirc

They’re introduced during the final raid after Denji and power train. This is Himeno, breakfast at Himeno’s, then everyone on patrol. I think Aki being cut down is likely where we end after katana man resurrects. Possibly before that on the katana man reveal after Kon bites him depending if they take it really slow with the scenes before that. However Aki is more likely I think

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah im probably remembering it wrong i haven't read that bit in a while

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ep was sick, entire pre op intro was extended himeno stumbling drunk around her house

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ej4gHhUzek

Ending 8

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh the episodes out. time to ignore these threads until i get home from class

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Once again the ED is a golden gift.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

They have the same hair but I don't know if that's enough for me to say they're identical. It also just feels like a mechanically weird idea in universe for it to be Arai even if it was narratively nice. It's a neat idea though.

Makima loves symbolism and aesthetic, even when it's symbolism and aesthetic that only makes sense to her (especially then, I'd say).

This is a woman who went around collecting all the devils that ever worked with Chainsaw Man and then carefully arranged their dead bodies in kneeling positions along a hallway. Keeping the corpse of one of her former employees, putting an extra special devil inside of them, and then assigning the resulting fiend to be partners with the same person the original human employee was partners with feels exactly like something she would do.

It's not about the practicality of the mechanics, it's about the art.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Makima loves symbolism and aesthetic, even when it's symbolism and aesthetic that only makes sense to her (especially then, I'd say).

This is a woman who went around collecting all the devils that ever worked with Chainsaw Man and then carefully arranged their dead bodies in kneeling positions along a hallway. Keeping the corpse of one of her former employees, putting an extra special devil inside of them, and then assigning the resulting fiend to be partners with the same person the original human employee was partners with feels exactly like something she would do.

It's not about the practicality of the mechanics, it's about the art.

I don't really agree with that take on Makima tbh.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

I don't really agree with that take on Makima tbh.

Alright, if you don't believe Makima, the woman who made a halo out of her own lower intense after she got shot to give herself a more angelic appearance, cares about symbolism and aesthetics then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Was interested in how they'd pull off Curse and while it couldn't do the weird panel nonsense it certainly gave a good impression. I'm glad they just hard cut devils disappearing with no effects or anyting, just BLIP, gone.. Gives me lots of hope for our stint in Hell in 2 years time.