Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Seattle actually did have a chance to build a large metro network decades ago but ultimately didn't have enough people vote in favor for it. The light rail is good for what it is, but pales in comparison to the more robust metro network it could have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mustang posted:

Seattle actually did have a chance to build a large metro network decades ago but ultimately didn't have enough people vote in favor for it. The light rail is good for what it is, but pales in comparison to the more robust metro network it could have had.

Is this not robust?

https://kingcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3e239c9048604de8a1c73b72679bc82e

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Compare Seattle's much more recent light rail to the slightly smaller Portland which has had it's light rail network since the 80's.

Seattle has 2 lines (counting Tacoma), 25 stations and 26 miles of light rail.

Portland has 5 lines, 94 stations, and 59 miles of light rail.

Seattle had the opportunity to take advantage of federal funding around the same time period but not enough people voted in favor of it.

edit: and for the record, I regularly use Seattle's light rail, I just wish it had been built earlier because there's still areas of the city (east/west routes) that won't have light rail service until the 2030's.

Mustang has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Nov 28, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hannover is comparable in population:

Germany's most boring city. Pretty nice place to live, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe if they made Seattle more liveable, more people would be living there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://twitter.com/PostGraphics/status/1597239952890220545

To my untrained eye, this seems like a terrible way of displaying the data.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Zil posted:

https://twitter.com/PostGraphics/status/1597239952890220545

To my untrained eye, this seems like a terrible way of displaying the data.

I don’t know why time is on y instead of x but otherwise it looks okay

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Tree Goat posted:

I don’t know why time is on y instead of x but otherwise it looks okay

Yeah, just flip the axes and it would be much easier to read

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If I have to tilt my head 90 degrees to the right to understand what the gently caress is going on, it's a bad graph

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
the y axis doesn‘t start at 0 :mad:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Neco posted:

the y axis doesn‘t start at 0 :mad:

i mean time is time and follower loss is a) an indexed value and b) has to include negative and positive values, so a non-zero start for both is de rigueur

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm assuming the orientation is to intentionally show a significant rightward skew

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It's odd but is fine to me, I had no trouble understanding it.

As these are only selected politicians I'd like to see some lines representing some average values. Like a line for D senators and another for R, to be sure the implied trend is actually present.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Weird, London has ten times the population AND ten times the public transport infrastructure. hmmmm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I don't think it's too bad, it shows the divergences left and right that they wanted to show. It would feel more natural to me to flip the time axis vertically, but I don't think it's a terrible offender for casual graphs in here.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think it's too bad, it shows the divergences left and right that they wanted to show. It would feel more natural to me to flip the time axis vertically, but I don't think it's a terrible offender for casual graphs in here.

Look, I did preface it by saying "to my untrained eye" I don't know it just looks odd at first glance.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Time should start at 0 on all graphs, as in the beginning of the universe, so that every time you look at a graph to learn something it's like you asked god a question and he said "gently caress off, speck."

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Ragnar34 posted:

Time should start at 0 on all graphs, as in the beginning of the universe, so that every time you look at a graph to learn something it's like you asked god a question and he said "gently caress off, speck."

If the time axis starts at the beginning of the universe, then it needs to end at the heat-death of the universe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It should start at Jesus's birth and end at his return, like any proper graph

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Kantesu posted:

The rapture happened before it was invented? That's embarrassing

But the rapture happened hundreds of years ago and we're just the forgotten dregs, how are we supposed to show our data when all of current time is literally off the charts?

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Nov 28, 2022

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
look at all these loving rubes who believe in linear time. the empire never ended, idiots

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

But the rapture happened hundreds of years ago and we're just the forgotten dregs, how are we supposed to show our data when all of current time is literally off the charts?

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Ragnar34 posted:

Now we‘re talking, gently caress all this skewing the data bullshit :matters:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

look at all these loving rubes who believe in linear time. the empire never ended, idiots

blessed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kantesu posted:

Noone was invited anyway

E: Nooner. No one else tho

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tree Goat posted:

the empire never ended, idiots

Are you in the UK government by any chance?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Outrail posted:

Weird, London has ten times the population AND ten times the public transport infrastructure. hmmmm

London has 5 million riders per day. Seattle area light rail had around 50 million riders per year. Lot less than a tenth of the public transport infrastructure than London. Tons and tons of cars in greater Seattle :(

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
London does not have ten times the population of Seattle. A quick google tells me the Seattle metropolitan area has 4.0 million, and London metropolitan area has 9.5 million.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

London does not have ten times the population of Seattle. A quick google tells me the Seattle metropolitan area has 4.0 million, and London metropolitan area has 9.5 million.

A quick search tells me London metro is more like 14 million. London itself is about 9.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The greater London metro area (the area serviced by the rail system) has a population of ~9 million. The equivalent area in Seattle is about 4 million including the fact that Seattle much longer than it is wide due to butting up against the cascades.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think a more useful metric is density of population: London has almost twice as much peeps in a square km as Seattle.

Geography is another thing, Seattle is built on an isthmus. Making tunnels across a shallow river is not quite as expensive as under a lake that goes 33 metres at the deepest. Also thanks to pollution the water in Thames has a consistency more similar to syrup, so it will automatically patch up any cracks.

Finally London metro was started in 1860. There were already around 3 million people in inner London then. At the time, Seattle had 188 people. Not 188 thousand. 188. You don't build a network like that overnight and most of the lines were opened before WW1 and only expanded from there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://twitter.com/SeriFeliciano/status/1597355324008108034

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I think a more useful metric is density of population: London has almost twice as much peeps in a square km as Seattle.

Geography is another thing, Seattle is built on an isthmus. Making tunnels across a shallow river is not quite as expensive as under a lake that goes 33 metres at the deepest. Also thanks to pollution the water in Thames has a consistency more similar to syrup, so it will automatically patch up any cracks.

Finally London metro was started in 1860. There were already around 3 million people in inner London then. At the time, Seattle had 188 people. Not 188 thousand. 188. You don't build a network like that overnight and most of the lines were opened before WW1 and only expanded from there.

You would think if it's built in a big line that would be an ideal application for rail though, they love going in straight lines.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That whole thing is pure gold.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/amse/2022/3802603/ posted:

This system of equations is called a normal system of equations and can be solved by solving.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

That whole thing is pure gold.

Another winning bit of research from the scientist behind ohm@budweiser.com?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You would think if it's built in a big line that would be an ideal application for rail though, they love going in straight lines.

The problem is that the moment you walk away from the straight line you're walking up or down a mountain. The terrain here makes walking East/West a hell of a slog.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"I made it up"
https://twitter.com/DavidHajage/status/1597473122273615872

oh my god how is this a real paper
https://twitter.com/BlaneDavidLewis/status/1597472030487564293
https://twitter.com/McknightLaura/status/1597634268691210240
https://twitter.com/barrett_fd/status/1597561120398925825

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Why can't I get entertainingly terrible articles to review rather than the normal boring kind :negative:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That honestly seems like more effort than punching some spurious data into some plotting software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's like the guy who faked basically his entire academic career. he would just make plots that gave exciting results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfDoml-Db64