Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I did it, I collected all ten desires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

HGH posted:

This fun little rhythm game came out in English today. It's good.

This game is really good, just managed to beat Rumias scenario on easy. Plays surprisingly well on the Steam Deck too.

e: Also props to leather fedora for translating dai's name correctly.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 16, 2022

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Glad to see the game has received such a positive response. And for what it's worth, the dev has a pretty strong grasp on English so figuring out how to render names was a team effort.

Also, one thing about Touhou that you really can't see unless you're in Japan is how it's been fostering the next generation of doujin artists. Comiket has been skewing older and older lately especially with the pandemic (Uma Musume is cute and all but horse racing ain't something for the younger set), but there are a few exceptions like Vocaloid, Vtubers, and Touhou. In Touhou's case, kids get hooked on funny/informative Yukkuri videos or meme songs and go on to discover other parts of the franchise. This hasn't gone unnoticed and doujin events like Reitaisai have been fostering stuff like art contests aimed at schoolkids and other activities that don't involve spending money. Two companies that focus on printing doujin merch and books have also just announced a workshop to introduce newcomers to the process of creation and manufacture. It's just another facet that makes you realize how far-reaching one drunk dude's game series has become. https://twitter.com/HakureijinjyaS/status/1582002552488439808

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Soon, the Hollywood film

Mima will be in it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nyoro posted:

Soon, the Hollywood film

Mima will be in it

:bisonyes:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That rules. I do keep saying that the demographic skewing younger for Touhou over time is a really good thing! It just feels really appropriate, and seeing event organizers and stuff not only notice but encourage and support that is wonderful.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The spookiest announcement just happened (or well, there was no announcement, it just sorta popped up). Genius of Sappheiros V (the final enhanced port) is coming to Steam on Halloween night (October 31st). Exclusively in Japanese and through a Japanese publisher, but hopefully they might be receptive to fans helping out like LoT2 did.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2101110/Touhou_Soujinengi_V_The_Genius_of_Sappheiros/

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
A Japanese fan convention that isn't focused purely around buying stuff is a pretty tremendous shift in attitude, good to see!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

HGH posted:

The spookiest announcement just happened (or well, there was no announcement, it just sorta popped up). Genius of Sappheiros V (the final enhanced port) is coming to Steam on Halloween night (October 31st). Exclusively in Japanese and through a Japanese publisher, but hopefully they might be receptive to fans helping out like LoT2 did.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2101110/Touhou_Soujinengi_V_The_Genius_of_Sappheiros/

If they are willing to accept help from the already existing fan translation that would be amazing, though I can't help but wonder if hostility to the existence of the english translation as something mostly used for piracy was what drove their escalating DRM usage... so maybe they won't be interested. Genius of Sappheiros is my favorite rpg of all time gameplay-wise and I would be overjoyed to throw money at them, especially if it also gets us Devil of Decline.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hey, so when did all of Reimu's "Fantasy" abilities get retranslated to "Dream"?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
A few months ago on the wiki.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

A few months ago on the wiki.

I won’t accept this, edit them back

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I was calling them that before it was cool.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

When will the wiki be switching to “Frandle”?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I got Sunken Fossil World, since the switch version with the extra content came out. Even has an English translation, which is neato.

It's a pretty weird game. Kind of feels like the game should be a little longer just because each character plays so differently sometimes; by the time you really start clicking with the characters (especially the weirder ones like Murasa and Joon) its all over. Very bizarre readability (trying to figure out what is and isnt a bullet in Totetsu's blood fights is something else), and some of the fights are less than stellar (Murasa's boat stage is awful), but it's fun when you get a grip on the characters. I think they kind of realized it can be a bit overwhelming considering there'es infinite continues and you can quit and come back to the stage you left off at at any time, which is nice for grinding out how the hell to move around sometimes. Figuring out how to move Murasa around Totetsu's final spell actually felt kind of nice because of it.

I love the style of the game. Everyone's sprites are full of personality and are very charming to look at. I hope they consider reusing this style for another game in the future.

Translation seems pretty nice as well except for the part where the Joon ending isn't translated. Oops! Hopefully Flandre & Totetsu's endings are translated

Also ran into a real weird glitch with Marisa vs Murasa. When the spell break happened for her last 2 or so spell cards she'd just be invincible the entire duration to everything except Marisa's up attack. It happened across every retry and multiple sessions and looking up videos from when the game came out on PC originally I don't see anyone having problems. Kanako didn't have the same issue.

e: As soon as I hit post an update finished downloading so maybe those 2 issues aren't a problem anymore

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i like boo urameshiya lady lol

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

rannum posted:

Kind of feels like the game should be a little longer just because each character plays so differently sometimes; by the time you really start clicking with the characters (especially the weirder ones like Murasa and Joon) its all over.
i have absolutely no evidence for this, but part of me wonders if the game originally had actual stages, but was scaled back to just being boss fights because they realized it was too much feature creep

this is also my way of saying "god drat i wish i could play a shovel knight-esque game starring murasa, because she's so drat fun to play." Her anchor is so satisfying to smack things with.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

i have absolutely no evidence for this, but part of me wonders if the game originally had actual stages, but was scaled back to just being boss fights because they realized it was too much feature creep

this is also my way of saying "god drat i wish i could play a shovel knight-esque game starring murasa, because she's so drat fun to play." Her anchor is so satisfying to smack things with.

The fact all the tutorial segments have platforming sections to show off their jump mechanics did have me go "hrmmmm". The fact one of the first stages you do is Kogasa or Marisa who have spell cards that travel along the ground with varied terrain kind of goes with that...Marisa's spell card even has environmental mechanics (you can knock the mushrooms into Marisa as she flies by). There's a few other cards that move the screen but its mostly aesthetic in comparison; considering how often the game got delayed to begin with and how many updates it got to fix itself (the switch version was 1.11) I can see them pulling back hard on any plans they had.

And yeah Murasa was very satisfying once it clicked. Labbing out how to use Murasa against Totetsu took forever but when it came together it felt pretty good anchoring away at different angles and slow falling with the water absorb to buffer another anchor then swinging in for a big meaty hit when the spell circle went red. Or finding the perfect time to charge up her attacks to squeeze in like a full third of a health bar on declaration.

Speaking of forever, I bet Flandre's True End route earlier (it's annoying that I have to clear all 3 to get the exclamation mark to go away on her route too but whatever she's so stupidly OP) and I cleared all the stages up to Totetsu in 5 minutes and then spent a total of an hour actually trying to beat the finale lmao. It's so easy to get lost in the sauce and then you have to deal with a fairly lengthy gimmick spell card with very strict timing since if you get hit before the apple hits her you lose it all.
And I think there's a difference between the original and the switch version here too: if i was watching jaimer's video right, you used to be able to gather blood with R without breaking the spell bar, but in the switch version even the lightest tap would absorb nothing, fizzle the spell and break your bar so you have to start over. So now you have to just sit there in the blood pooling at the bottom as you dance about as a bat to get more to spawn while avoiding blood beams? Feels like a misstep

They also removed the freaky blood hands that would erupt from the pool in the background, but I suspect that was more an attempt to remove the clutter from Totetsu's boss fight which was already just a lot. Wonder if the PC version will do that too when it gets the extra content later on.

Totetsu's finale is really cool She got a new Reimu fight and got an entirely new boss with Okina for her last boss. It's a pretty rough fight (3 non spells and 5 spells) but her music is GREAT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4G5P3eZd_M and I dont have to deal with a meter gimmick for the final so I'll manage once I figure a consistent way to handle her Blood spell with more health. Not coincidentally the spell that spams red at you is, again, the hardest one to parse what is actually hitting you.

The patterns look pretty rad otherwise, though; I didn't see much of the final spell before dying but it looked like it was gonna get real pretty

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Danmaku Kagura had a farewell livestream earlier tonight, and at the end they announced a reworked offline version for Steam next year along with a crowdfunding campaign to have it released. Stretch goals include a possible Switch port. Pony up 1,500,000 yen and you even get to pick a song to be included.

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/623672/preview?token=1lrvoehb

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2190220/Touhou_Danmaku_Kagura_Phantasia_Lost/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Danmaku Kagura had a farewell livestream earlier tonight, and at the end they announced a reworked offline version for Steam next year along with a crowdfunding campaign to have it released. Stretch goals include a possible Switch port. Pony up 1,500,000 yen and you even get to pick a song to be included.

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/623672/preview?token=1lrvoehb

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2190220/Touhou_Danmaku_Kagura_Phantasia_Lost/

That's really cool

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Been wondering this for a while but why is this thread in this subforum instead of the video games one?

Also 100BM is great and rekindled my fondness for MariNito

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
part of it is this thread is also about the non-videogame ventures like the various manga etc, part of it is weird ol sa tribalism where we get stuff thats "anime" even if it would be fine or even preferable elsewhere, because were the anime forum and were about 2 decades ago now a containment forum. while attitudes have definitely improved since then theres still lil things that pop up

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I actually don’t think it’s that. There used to be a Touhou thread in games years ago, but it died due to low traffic. I suspect a new thread would die due to low traffic pretty quickly as well.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i promise you it is a factor, if not the main one (which is again the fact that this also covers non-game media). great example: the guys who came into the gdq thread to say the games are for pedos, repeatedly, over more than 1 gdq thread.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Danmaku Kagura crowdfund met its goal in about 30 minutes. There's still 2 months left to get in on it, and some of the backer bonuses are pretty nifty. Definitely something to consider since the yen is so cheap.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

part of it is this thread is also about the non-videogame ventures like the various manga etc, part of it is weird ol sa tribalism where we get stuff thats "anime" even if it would be fine or even preferable elsewhere, because were the anime forum and were about 2 decades ago now a containment forum. while attitudes have definitely improved since then theres still lil things that pop up

Enjoying the fact that there are people on SA who think new threads in ADTRW should be subject to mod screening and approval

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I agree with you that there are many deranged people on this website but like… there was a touhou thread in the past and as far as I know it died a natural death. there's a shmup thread and it gets like 2 posts a day. it's just that touhou is reclining

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well yeah, you have to take it easy

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Fun note: if you go off of Google Analytics, 2022 has been the most active year for Touhou ever, overtaking the previous top of 2012, on the western side of things. In Japan, it hasn't reached the peaks of 2007-2009 for them ever again, but it has been on a slow increasing upswing again ever since 2018.
Google Analytics primarily show new interest in a topic, not stable interest, as people who are already invested aren't searching up "Touhou" by itself.
It's not completely accurate, but it does show that the last couple of years have been the biggest influx of new blood for a decade.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Finally, someone will come in and finally finish the Touhou Let's play

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Currently sitting at 82 million yen, Aquastyle has finally figured out the stretch goals for their Danmaku Kagura fund. https://camp-fire.jp/projects/623672/activities/429885#main

Besides the new theme song they have commissioned, they'll implement a new game mode that more closely mirrors the original smartphone version at 90 million, and 120 million will mean the production of physical versions of the already-confirmed Switch port.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140150/__Lost_Branch_of_Legend/

touhou slay the spire is on sale for 20% off and its got english now. not fully finished yet but pretty fun.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
https://twitter.com/qwerty202183/status/1597237388639895554
Some interesting comments from ZUN's recent livestream about his experience with Danmaku Kagura.

At first he was afraid DeNA's influence would make it completely overshadow the original games or get mistaken as original, but he is thankful that it did help prove Touhou itself has become such a widely recognized franchise, and playing PoFV on a baseball stadium's jumbotron will be a lifelong memory.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Meeko posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140150/__Lost_Branch_of_Legend/

touhou slay the spire is on sale for 20% off and its got english now. not fully finished yet but pretty fun.

Bought and did 1 run last night. I actually like that so much of the card pool and status effects are exactly the same as StS since it makes it pretty easy to get into. Had both Demon Form and Wraith Form clones and played a pretty attack heavy deck that beat Remilia pretty comfortably. It's well polished and I like it, though it's a little funny to pay more for the fan clone than the original work.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

New Magician Who Loved a Fake.

I really like the direction this is taking.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ultima66 posted:

Bought and did 1 run last night. I actually like that so much of the card pool and status effects are exactly the same as StS since it makes it pretty easy to get into. Had both Demon Form and Wraith Form clones and played a pretty attack heavy deck that beat Remilia pretty comfortably. It's well polished and I like it, though it's a little funny to pay more for the fan clone than the original work.

I don't know if this is just early access balance or whatever, but I feel like it's relatively easy to get an invincible wombo-combo deck, so the endgame bosses tend to be significantly easier than the early bosses.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Cave's Touhou game is getting pushed back until next April, but they released a few screenshots.
https://twitter.com/gamebiznews/status/1597836740144009216

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

HGH posted:

Lambo Trillrissian posted:

If they are willing to accept help from the already existing fan translation that would be amazing, though I can't help but wonder if hostility to the existence of the english translation as something mostly used for piracy was what drove their escalating DRM usage... so maybe they won't be interested. Genius of Sappheiros is my favorite rpg of all time gameplay-wise and I would be overjoyed to throw money at them, especially if it also gets us Devil of Decline.

Quoting myself but they just announced that they're gonna be officially adding English. Seems the whole thing is gonna be retranslated by HakanaiBlue, the one fantranslator who's done like some 20 odd games in the last year or so including translating around a third of GoS' predecessor Defiant of Shrine Maiden this summer (a ridiculously hardcore RPG that's also a giant shitpost that had entirely too much content and multiple routes).
Apparently that got StrawberryBose to start following him.

https://twitter.com/digitalmebius/status/1598127783816753152

https://twitter.com/HakanaiBlue/status/1598128527672766464

Anyway this is by far the game's definitive version, it's been stuck on Vita/Switch since 2016 or so. It's as rude as ever but you can also break it over your knee even more now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, I just could not get into GoS. I got like five zones in and it just felt both brutal and tedious.

For some reason I really enjoyed Devil of Decline, though. Localize that please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Every time they rerelease GoS they make it easier than before. All of the truly awful jank was cut out of the game a long time ago. It's actually really good now!