Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think it’s more about what Darkness did to them specifically rather than them being unable to recover from a torn off arm. That was my interpretation.

For Angel, I suspect it was just him being a lazy gently caress.

Drinking enough blood to heal is work. And death is preferable to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

pizzabutt posted:

Yeah, it didn't really cut off their arms or anything tbh, they just kinda fell off, no blood at all.

Yeah they just kind of fly off seemingly in damaged which is a whole lot creepier. It makes it sound like their limbs reject being returned to the body despite seeming in damaged.

chiasaur11 posted:

For Angel, I suspect it was just him being a lazy gently caress.

Drinking enough blood to heal is work. And death is preferable to work.

They mention reattachment which worked for one of Aki’s but not Angel . So presumably they’ve some people with healing contracts or similar. Or just sewing it back on and seeing what happens I suppose.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What's up with the poop devil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah they just kind of fly off seemingly in damaged which is a whole lot creepier. It makes it sound like their limbs reject being returned to the body despite seeming in damaged.

They mention reattachment which worked for one of Aki’s but not Angel . So presumably they’ve some people with healing contracts or similar. Or just sewing it back on and seeing what happens I suppose.

It also worked for both of Kobeni's arms. Just another showing of her simultaneously good and terrible luck.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArkNemesis5/status/1598375148217896962?s=20&t=SvSo7_eQdygCG2Ps8eF7-A

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

He's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and the exact worst kind of stupid for a Stand user to deal with. Denji's half genius, half idiot, and all lunatic. Someone will do three pages of monologued Jojo Plan, and then he'll just light himself on fire while running in circles, perfectly countering everything.

(A lot of innocent people will die.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

He's faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and the exact worst kind of stupid for a Stand user to deal with. Denji's half genius, half idiot, and all lunatic. Someone will do three pages of monologued Jojo Plan, and then he'll just light himself on fire while running in circles, perfectly countering everything.

(A lot of innocent people will die.)

I mean to be fair that sounds a lot like the protag of part 2.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol the anime thread has pretty much figured out makima's deal i think

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Well nobody is calling she's one of the Four Horseman, but conversely it's super loving obvious from the jump that there's something profoundly wrong with her. Her eyes, her behavior, the fact other characters flat out call her out multiple times. I mean next week or the week after we are going to get Kishibe straight up saying she knew about the attack, and that he doesn't care what she does if she remains on humanity's side. To which literally anyone is going to go "....wait, why wouldn't she be on humanity's side? Wait, she let all those people die?".

It can not be stressed enough how much the story just....lays things out for you and then moves on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Trying to figure out how we get to the ball kicking contest in four episodes because Makima orbital strike is next episode, maybe ending on Kishibe taking Denji and Power, then next episode after that is training and I think Makima threatening the Yakuza, then two episodes of the assault?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I dunno I think Makima's on the up and up

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when the manga was still going, people thought something was up with her until she got up from being shot, and then there wasn't any doubt. the main question then was how malicious she was, something the story anticipated with kishibe's "do you fight for humanity?" "of course." "liar." exchange. the answer of course was very

i think the most prevalent theory about her pre-reveal was that she was the Humanity Devil

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The important thing to keep in mind is that Makima is trash, Makima is a nobody.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

Trying to figure out how we get to the ball kicking contest in four episodes because Makima orbital strike is next episode, maybe ending on Kishibe taking Denji and Power, then next episode after that is training and I think Makima threatening the Yakuza, then two episodes of the assault?

Between where they stopped to the tournament itself is 12.5 chapters and honestly that's how I see it plotting too.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Terper posted:

The important thing to keep in mind is that Makima is trash, Makima is a nobody.

Surely, you meant to say that Makima is poo poo?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Surely, you meant to say that Makima is poo poo?

I already used that one

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Truth should be repeated as often as possible. :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Makima reveal is good (even if she’s suspicious the whole time) but “true nature of chainsaw” reveal is a loving masterpiece. When that airs it’s gonna be fun to read the anime thread.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The Makima reveal is good (even if she’s suspicious the whole time) but “true nature of chainsaw” reveal is a loving masterpiece. When that airs it’s gonna be fun to read the anime thread.

It's really when Makima is talking about all the things Chainsaw has eaten and that question mark hits and you're just like what :aaaaa:

;

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

And the very next chapter after that is Family Burger :kiss:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I think during the manga run, people knew something was up with Makima but didn't care all that much since she was still being nice to Denji. The series is from his POV , so his biases and his feelings of uncertainty are shared by the reader.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

yum posted:

I think during the manga run, people knew something was up with Makima but didn't care all that much since she was still being nice to Denji. The series is from his POV , so his biases and his feelings of uncertainty are shared by the reader.

Yeah it was a constant and masterful balance between she’s being sketchy and she’s being genuinely nice to Denji. That is until the mask comes off.

Also some people had “she’s hot” blinders.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Up until she kills Reze everything Makima does is 100% in keeping with other shonen mentors are like at the start of their series. Be they Gojo or Kakashi or Lisa Lisa. “Work for the organization or die?” At this point it’s harder to find shonen protags who don’t start off with that proposition. “Is obviously hiding some badass secret power?” Once again at this point who in shonen isn’t? “Has a secret agenda that differs from the higher ups?” Well that just means they’re obviously on the heroes side when they have to expose some corrupt leader. “Is obviously hiding something from the hero?” Well that just means they’re trying to protect them from something they’re not ready for.
If anything Makima is dare I say it… a deconstruction… of the standard shonen mentor, taking all the things they normally do that we as readers no longer even think about and saying “Wait aren’t those things kinda messed up? Aren’t those obvious signs this person is a piece of poo poo?”

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

yum posted:

I read through the thread in like 3 days recently because I had just finish CSM and wanted to see people's reactions to stuff. People knew something was up but no one really called the "she's a devil thing" until after she came back to life.

A lot of people thought it was a devil she had a contract with for instance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

when the manga was still going, people thought something was up with her until she got up from being shot, and then there wasn't any doubt. the main question then was how malicious she was, something the story anticipated with kishibe's "do you fight for humanity?" "of course." "liar." exchange. the answer of course was very

i think the most prevalent theory about her pre-reveal was that she was the Humanity Devil

I'd actually say one of the many ironies with Makima is that it felt like she wasn't on Public Safety's side, but she was (in some twisted way) on Denji's, only it turned out to be the reverse.

She really did want a goal that coincided with at least a few of the higher ups (end every human ill, and if a few people die first, eh.) because she really does want the best for humanity in her way, but she didn't give a gently caress about Denji except to the extent she conflated him with Pochita.

(I also thought she was a hybrid, since Devils didn't seem to revive on their own, and because she cried at the same time as Denji. Didn't account for a contract letting her revive.)

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You know what I don't get

She has the power to control anyone/anything that considers itself beneath her, including their contract-given powers (used for devastating effect with MULTIPLE people on the gun devil). To some degree, she can also sense through these creatures. And to top it off, her control is so all-consuming that not even death matters - even if her subject dies, they continue to serve her. Her dead servants include some weapon hybrids as well.

Notably, she herself is NOT immortal. That is a result of a contract with the Japanese Prime Minister. Presumably, getting a contract with the Conquest Devil means they can control you, and all damage is reflected on the Conquest Devil's subjects, meaning the entirety of lawful Japanese citizens.

Now I have some questions about this:

- What the hell did the Prime Minister get out of this? So far, entering a contract with Conquest just seems to mean signing over even more power to her, with no benefit to yourself. Maybe there are some minor domination powers involved, which would come in handy for a politician? And the subject just has to hope Conquest doesn't feel like controlling you right now? Or it's just plain coercion, as it was for Aki and perhaps some other employees?
- Knowing she has a contract, why do Kishibi & co. even try to kill her? I can see the US President and the like not being aware of this, but Kishibe? He knows Makima got up from being domed like nothing. They would know killing her does nothing. (Maybe Kishibe should've gone for the prime minister instead. Proooooobably wouldn't have gone over well in the real world, tho)
- How the heck did Makima get control over Reze and Quanxi? I can see Katana Man being so thoroughly broken that he eventually submits to Makima. But how about those two? They were both dead at that point, and when they died, they certainly did not have any contracts with Makima or see themselves beneath her. She did kill them personally, though. Maybe doing that automatically counts as making them subordinates?

...right of conquest, so to say? :haw:

Just some idle thoughts

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

You know what I don't get

She has the power to control anyone/anything that considers itself beneath her, including their contract-given powers (used for devastating effect with MULTIPLE people on the gun devil). To some degree, she can also sense through these creatures. And to top it off, her control is so all-consuming that not even death matters - even if her subject dies, they continue to serve her. Her dead servants include some weapon hybrids as well.

Notably, she herself is NOT immortal. That is a result of a contract with the Japanese Prime Minister. Presumably, getting a contract with the Conquest Devil means they can control you, and all damage is reflected on the Conquest Devil's subjects, meaning the entirety of lawful Japanese citizens.

Now I have some questions about this:

- What the hell did the Prime Minister get out of this? So far, entering a contract with Conquest just seems to mean signing over even more power to her, with no benefit to yourself. Maybe there are some minor domination powers involved, which would come in handy for a politician? And the subject just has to hope Conquest doesn't feel like controlling you right now? Or it's just plain coercion, as it was for Aki and perhaps some other employees?
- Knowing she has a contract, why do Kishibi & co. even try to kill her? I can see the US President and the like not being aware of this, but Kishibe? He knows Makima got up from being domed like nothing. They would know killing her does nothing. (Maybe Kishibe should've gone for the prime minister instead. Proooooobably wouldn't have gone over well in the real world, tho)
- How the heck did Makima get control over Reze and Quanxi? I can see Katana Man being so thoroughly broken that he eventually submits to Makima. But how about those two? They were both dead at that point, and when they died, they certainly did not have any contracts with Makima or see themselves beneath her. She did kill them personally, though. Maybe doing that automatically counts as making them subordinates?

...right of conquest, so to say? :haw:

Just some idle thoughts

First thing first, it's not about if they think they're beneath her. It's about if Makima thinks someone is beneath her. It's why she couldn't control Denji for most of the series (except for the bit when Power's dead the first time, with Denji so broken he can't even think for himself). She might have just thought of him as an obstacle, but he was someone Chainsaw Man thought was worth making a contract with. That's hard to ignore.

Beating Chainsaw Man wasn't about proving something to Pochita. It was about proving things to herself. (Although there are a few gaps in her control. Love seems to be her biggest weakness.)

Second, Quanxi and Reze died, but they weren't dead. Hybrids are immortal, with nothing yet able to keep them down, including their name being erased from existence. It's like Denji always getting back up to get back in the fight, even after being decapitated.

As for the questions:

1) The Prime Minister presumably got her acting in Japan's best interests and obeying the chain of command, hence her having to subvert it through trickery as the series went on. Getting someone as powerful as Makima in your corner is a really good deal. Presumably, they got her when she was weak from Kishibe's comment on Nayuta, but we don't know that for sure.

2) Kishibe almost certainly didn't know the details of the contract. It's the kind of thing you keep close. He knew she regenerated, hence the "send her to hell" plan, but he didn't know that Japanese citizens were her one-ups.

3) As said above, they were alive, and Makima thought of them as lessers. Easy catch. (Also, Quanxi surrendered outright, which put her under Makima's control even easier.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For the Prime Minister it's possible it was a bum deal like with the Yakuza and the Zombie Devil in the first chapter.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I wonder if they teach how to make a proper devil contract in school. Like, yeah, you probably don't want to in the first place but if you're stuck in a situation, basic things to keep in mind not to just utterly screw yourself over.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How much do we know about the prime minister deal? She could've been how he got the job in the first place.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

For the Prime Minister it's possible it was a bum deal like with the Yakuza and the Zombie Devil in the first chapter.

I mean Makima can force a contract so she may have just forced a bum deal. She views basically all humans as something pleasant she can control. The dog metaphor, etc.

The only human she doesn’t seem to be able to control is Kishibe. At least in a “devil power” way.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I don't know why the deal with Prime Minister is considered so mysterious. He is (presumably) just an ordinary human. Makima would have him under control and agreeing to the contract in under three seconds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Don’t make a contract with a sexy devil or you’ll get pregnant and you’ll die

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

To me seems like in the absence of nukes, contracts with super powerful devils have taken the place of nukes in high stakes geopolitics. Sure, there might be some consequences, but getting Conquest on their side propelled Japan to a level of global prominence (among those who know) that's well beyond what you'd expect.

Also I'd argue that Makima believed she was on Humanity's side, she just had a very particular view of how she's going to help Humanity.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The control devil thinking that controlling humans is best for humans hmm

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I mean Makima can force a contract so she may have just forced a bum deal. She views basically all humans as something pleasant she can control. The dog metaphor, etc.

The only human she doesn’t seem to be able to control is Kishibe. At least in a “devil power” way.

She initially wasn't able to control her bosses (she thought they were 'scary'), and from her unhappiness at Madoka quitting, it seems like at least some Devil hunters weren't under her control.

The evidence we have suggests that Makima's hands were pretty tied at the start of the series, at least in regards to the Japanese government. Thus all the manipulation to get more power and remove her former superiors from play.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

This makes me sad, because that's the dumbest theory. :(

Like, I'm fairly sure the number of people who fear humanity itself is close to zero, there are maybe a couple who have a very specific phobia against humans in general, but a "Humanity Devil" would probably be weaker than the Tomato Devil. Most humans fear strange and foreign things, not themselves.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I don't know why the deal with Prime Minister is considered so mysterious. He is (presumably) just an ordinary human. Makima would have him under control and agreeing to the contract in under three seconds.

Because mysterious things are powerful and cool and have intrigue. If it came out tomorrow that the contract was just that he gave her like, 10% of everyone in Japan's life span in exchange for her protecting Japan from the gun devil or something everyone would just kinda be like "oh" instead of all this talk about what the deal with the deal is.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Libluini posted:

This makes me sad, because that's the dumbest theory. :(

Like, I'm fairly sure the number of people who fear humanity itself is close to zero, there are maybe a couple who have a very specific phobia against humans in general, but a "Humanity Devil" would probably be weaker than the Tomato Devil. Most humans fear strange and foreign things, not themselves.

Makima being the humanity devil seemed dumb to me too, I only caught up on the manga a few months ago, so did a handful of my friend and we all thought it was some form of control (manipulation, government, etc) but via contract up until a point.

Humanity is scary, think about how lovely other people can be, even if you discount murderers and such, but really it comes down to the granularity of devils. Would there just be devils for murderers, bullies, jerks, rapists, racists, etc or would a lot of it just fold into humanity in general?

Speaking of the tomato devil and thinking of the giant cockroach devil, I have been wondering if disgust plays enough into fear to empower devils. I'm not familiar enough with Japanese but it could be a language thing in that fashion if not just outright being a connection on a basic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If chainsaw man ate the humanity devil what would happen next