Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I will never forgive that video for making me read "medecine" over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/gaylussite/status/1596111191423811585?s=46

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

It's subtle in its awfulness, but sometimes those are the most irritating design choices of all

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
One takeaway is around 7% of people cannot or will not own a vehicle no matter what. That's kinda interesting.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

what's awful/funny about this chart?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

what's awful/funny about this chart?

For me, the part of the design that's awful is that the bar segments are sorted so that the ones representing higher car ownership are on the bottom rather than the top. So it reads like the numbers go down as you read upward. Put another way, it's like saying that the folks with 3 cars are in a lower percentile of car ownership rather than a higher percentile.

I fully admit this might just be an idiosyncrasy of mine and not a genuine design flaw.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Paper Tiger posted:

For me, the part of the design that's awful is that the bar segments are sorted so that the ones representing higher car ownership are on the bottom rather than the top. So it reads like the numbers go down as you read upward. Put another way, it's like saying that the folks with 3 cars are in a lower percentile of car ownership rather than a higher percentile.

They are in a lower percentile of car ownership. In the rightmost segment, ~20% own 3 or more cars, ~65% own 2, and 90% own just one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I just see them as bars with a transparency effect.

1st car, 2nd cat, 3rd car etc.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Paper Tiger posted:

It's subtle in its awfulness, but sometimes those are the most irritating design choices of all
Is this awful? I think it gets across the point well, which is that car ownership goes up as income goes up. And I think it makes sense to have the darker 'more cars' bars 'coming up' out of the bottom of the graph, at least to me.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Yeah, those are fair points. Okay, I'm coming around on the car bar chart.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know how to represent it, but I feel like if you wanted to really do it right, you'd double the size of 2 cars and triple the 3 cars, so that you can see how many cars are actually owned per bucket.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's awful because of all the people owning cars.

Also household is a terrible unit, it could be one rich rear end in a top hat with 3 cars or a family with 17 year old triplets and 2 parents.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
1 car weighs more than 0 so that’s why it’s below. Same goes for 2 and 3. Beyond that, who knows?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The stacking is the only reasonable presentation. People with three cars also have one car, so they should be in the 1-car-column as well. This way makes it easy to read out "what percentage of households has at least x cars".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shazback posted:

I just see them as bars with a transparency effect.

1st car, 2nd cat, 3rd car etc.

I don't think cat ownership goes up with income, actually. Which just goes to prove that they're terrible people.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BonHair posted:

Also household is a terrible unit, it could be one rich rear end in a top hat with 3 cars or a family with 17 year old triplets and 2 parents.

A family that can afford vehicles for all three children and the insurance for it is probably not doing too badly, but also they're probably extremely rare and an outlier compared to the single person

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah I see it as '%age of households in the decile that own 1 car, that own 2 cars, that own 3 cars' and each item is a subset of the one previous. People in the decile who own three cars also necessarily own 1 and 2 cars and exist in the decile. The chart handily shows that nobody or almost nobody in the bottom 3 deciles have more than 2 cars.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nenonen posted:

I don't think cat ownership goes up with income, actually. Which just goes to prove that they're terrible people.

I have been a cat lover my whole life but you are the first person to tell me that cats are terrible people. Makes sense but I think it misses the point of cats y’know?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

BonHair posted:

:hmmyes:

quote:

i think it works for this as it's just trying to show that more money means more cars. if your family of five doesn't have the money, they won't have the cars even if they've got five drivers.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BonHair posted:

I read "a family with 17 triplets"

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Carbon dioxide posted:

I read "a family with 17 triplets"

some rather tragic math there

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Fix It posted:

some rather tragic math there
Could be 17 sets of triplets, but maybe that's just a different kind of tragic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/EuphoriTori/status/1599165698126753792

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Would legit read a comic explaining economic trends through personifying data points.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have been a cat lover my whole life but you are the first person to tell me that cats are terrible people. Makes sense but I think it misses the point of cats y’know?

Cats are absolutely terrible people. Give them 44 billion dollars and they'd buy twitter the next day.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Late to the public transportation chat but I think Washington simply does not like public transportation. There have been several efforts to get a light rail connection across the Columbia river from Portland to Vancouver but they always vote against it, the political ads always call light rail a "crime train" and it always works to get people against it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Outrail posted:

Cats are absolutely terrible people. Give them 44 billion dollars and they'd buy twitter the next day.

They'd show at the corporate HQ door demanding to be let in, then when you open the door they just sit there and turn around.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nenonen posted:

They'd show at the corporate HQ door demanding to be let in, then when you open the door they just sit there and turn around.

That suggests a literal cat could manage twitter better than the current owner. No arguments.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

Late to the public transportation chat but I think Washington simply does not like public transportation. There have been several efforts to get a light rail connection across the Columbia river from Portland to Vancouver but they always vote against it, the political ads always call light rail a "crime train" and it always works to get people against it.

“You might see a poor, or even homeless person on the train” is very effective messaging throughout the country.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

“You might see a poor, or even homeless person on the train” is very effective messaging throughout the country.

"No, we should absolutely not do anything to prevent people from becoming or being homeless or poor. Unless maybe we can punish them?"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Shifty Nipples posted:

The light rail is expanding quite a bit in the Seattle area, plus plenty of other public transportation options and a higher rate of public transit ridership than Portland. Seattle is just late to building out it's rail network.

If you mention Vancouver to someone around here they think of the Canadian one, not the Portland suburb.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BonHair posted:

"No, we should absolutely not do anything to prevent people from becoming or being homeless or poor. Unless maybe we can punish them?"
There's the Canadian approach.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

X-axis: number of weeks of unemployment left
Y-axis: conditional probability of employmentship

Graph in left was published in the local news and all the usual suspects immediately suggested shortening the unemployment benefit duration. "Let's move the peak earlier, no money for vacationeers!"

Graph on the right was from the cited publication. Not at all suspicious selection of axes in the first one ..

Sure, there is a "peak", but it is minor compared to noise and almost completely explained by social programs hiring people just finishing their benefits..

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Letmebefrank posted:

Graph in left was published in the local news and all the usual suspects immediately suggested shortening the unemployment benefit duration. "Let's move the peak earlier, no money for vacationeers!"

Graph on the right was from the cited publication (altough the y axis is now no of employed. Not at all suspicious selection of axes in the first one ..

Sure, there is a "peak", but it is minor compared to noise and almost completely explained by social programs hiring people just finishing their benefits..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Letmebefrank posted:

Letmebefrank posted:

Graph on the right was from the cited publication. Not at all suspicious selection of axes in the first one ..

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Platystemon posted:

Letmebefrank posted:

Letmebefrank posted:

E: what is this three nested quotes max bullshit

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Dec 6, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

I see someone forgot how annoying it was too read 10 nested quotes in vanilla Vbulletin.

loving millennials and their TikToks I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I saw this one in the wild today.