Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

psyman posted:

The military sci-fi genre element of Avatar is glossed over I feel in terms of audience appeal; it’s one of the only IP now carrying the torch for speculative utilitarian combined arms concepts of troops, guns, exosuits, mechs, dropships, pods, jeeps, boats et al.

That’s James Cameron’s speciality and the big hook of Avatar for me, not really the Navi or Pandora which tend to get a lot more focus, and why I’m excited about the sequels despite cynicism on the web. I just don’t find the Navi engaging because of how uninspired they are as a depiction of tribal people, they’re beautiful but hollow and the way they speak is unnaturally operatic to me.

The last proper mil-sci film I’m aware of was Edge of Tomorrow in 2014. The last big genre game was COD: Infinite Warfare in 2016 if I recall, although BF 2042 has soft future war elements. Traditionally, mil-sci media has fared super well with critics/audiences; Aliens, EoT, Halo, Titanfall, even the Clone Wars battles are generally considered the highlight of the SW prequels. People love that stuff yet outside of Avatar there’s hardly anything happening now (unless someone knows of upcoming genre media?)
As strong as the RDA avatars/recoms are, I'd like to see them in power armor designed for Navi physiology. Maybe the helmets could have some sick rear end skull motif and red eyes. James might as well throw a Terminator reference or two into one of these sequels. I'd love to see his idea for a future tank that could make short work of Pandora's terrain or megafauna. While Cameron genuinely cares about the environment and animals, I know in some deep dark corner of his lizard brain there's also an intense love for mankind's clanking, fire spewing killing machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gatts posted:

I want to drop John Cena in this movie and have someone claim they can see him

Impossible

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. For whatever reason - I suspect it's largely subconscious - I was never too interested in the Na'vi and I feel somewhat disengaged when it's just them. For me it is the human scenes that provide relief and room to breathe, when you'd expect it to be the other way around. So far very little of the human characters is known. I just hope they're compelling so I don't OD on blue Native tribe analogues.

The clash between the two worlds (the overly fantastical Pandora state of nature vs. hardcore killing machines) is the most exciting aspect of Avatar to me.

Same.

Honestly looking forward to Quaritch fighting for humanity’s survival in the sequel.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
GOAT TALK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIEbpGdctyg

E: just finished this. He is so chill and candid and also just does not give a gently caress.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 28, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

GOAT TALK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIEbpGdctyg

E: just finished this. He is so chill and candid and also just does not give a gently caress.

Cameron always does great interviews. This one was a lot fun. The story about how he got Sigourney locked to reprise Ripley in Aliens is great, lmao. [edit] Also never knew about that interaction he had with Leo during the screen test with Kate for Titanic; poo poo's hilarious lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 28, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

Cameron always does great interviews. This one was a lot fun. The story about how he got Sigourney locked to reprise Ripley in Aliens is great, lmao. [edit] Also never knew about that interaction he had with Leo during the screen test with Kate for Titanic; poo poo's hilarious lol.

Everyone should also definitely watch Cameron's show where he's just talking sci-fi with other directors. I still can't believe how many film fans haven't seen it. Just seeing him shoot the poo poo with Ridley Scott and talk Alien (and he gives him all the credit for the series and basically says Scott is better than him), talk to Nolan about time travel, or shoot the poo poo with Spielberg and Lucas is amazing. Especially with the general mutual respect they all have for each other that comes off as obvious.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Got any links to the show? I feel like I saw some clips of it on YouTube before.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

Everyone should also definitely watch Cameron's show where he's just talking sci-fi with other directors. I still can't believe how many film fans haven't seen it. Just seeing him shoot the poo poo with Ridley Scott and talk Alien (and he gives him all the credit for the series and basically says Scott is better than him), talk to Nolan about time travel, or shoot the poo poo with Spielberg and Lucas is amazing. Especially with the general mutual respect they all have for each other that comes off as obvious.

Yeah, it's a great series. I could listen to Cameron talk for days :allears: One of the Alita blu-rays came with a disc where it's literally just Cameron and Robert Rodriguez gushing over each other's work lmao.

checkplease posted:

Got any links to the show? I feel like I saw some clips of it on YouTube before.

Need an AMC+ account to stream it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Does anyone know if it's available in UK?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha Avatar 2 and James (loving) Cameron got a shout out on the new episode of american dad, pretty funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This was a fun watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNjFuJT7ogk

The video reminded me that Kate Winslet ended up being able to hold her breath underwater for a little over 7 minutes after being trained by free divers, breaking the previous record held by Tom Cruise (~6 mins for Mission Impossible 5).

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/james-cameron-interview-avatar-the-way-of-water-franchise-future-1235271483/

Another big interview/profile with Cameron

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

quote:

[Cameron] figures he may have five or six more movies in him and that three of them, probably, would be Avatar movies.

Lol if you believe that Jim, you better get a move on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

3 is already filmed and parts of 4 are as well. He's doing it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I do remember reading somewhere that the overarching story with Jake and his family is a limited run that'll span 5 films (including Avatar and Avatar The Way of Water). So when Cameron says that 3 of the potential 6 films he's got left in the tank could be Avatar movies, that maybe he's talking about Avatar 3, 4, and 5. Avatar 3 is in post right now, and yeah as mentioned above, parts of Avatar 4 (think they're scenes related to the Sully kids) have already been filmed. Cameron said Avatar 4 and 5 probably won't get made if Avatar 2 and 3 don't make bank though (each film has been written to be standalone) but lol... Avatar 2 trillion dollar box office incoming :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Updated OP with the official trailers and relevant images

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Tickets reserved at my local AMC for 12/16. I bought the two seats around me and have a giant Bavarian pretzel with cheese being delivered to my seat right as the lights go dim. USA! USA!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I guess The Weeknd did the theme song for TWOW? Should I laugh? Lol. I've never heard a song by him.

https://twitter.com/theweeknd/status/1599448344321216512

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Tom Guycot posted:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I mean, he's a physically active vegan that lives in rural NZ on his own farm. I'd say the odds are in Jim's favor if the sequel's performance opens the door for more films.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

I guess The Weeknd did the theme song for TWOW? Should I laugh? Lol. I've never heard a song by him.

https://twitter.com/theweeknd/status/1599448344321216512

no because the weeknd fuckin rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OTWCd40bc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone posted:

... how on earth/pandora have you managed this?!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

... how on earth/pandora have you managed this?!

I've been living in a k-pop bubble since 2020 2018.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Is it known what the best format will be for this? Imax 3d? Dolby? something else?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

teagone posted:

I've been living in a k-pop bubble since 2020 2018.

The Weeknd's first project was in 2011 lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The Weeknd's first project was in 2011 lol

I was still very much into my shoegaze-y alt rock/indie bands around that time. Had Chvrches, Megan Washington, School of Seven Bells, Fanfarlo, Fredrik, Ra Ra Riot/Discovery, Cloud Cult, etc., on repeat nonstop. You know... HIPSTER poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

checkplease posted:

Is it known what the best format will be for this? Imax 3d? Dolby? something else?

IMAX 3D imo. The film wasn't shot on actual IMAX cameras, so no like 1570 70mm film print of it or whatever (I think?), but it was shot using "IMAX certified" cameras used in the 3D stereo camera rig Cameron helped developed. Refer to this article: https://ymcinema.com/2022/11/30/imax-vs-standard-screening-a-must-watch-comparison/

[edit] That said, if a theater near you is Dolby Cinema equipped and has a 1.85 ratio screen (not 2.39 scope), I'm assuming the projection of Avatar 2 onto that Dolby Cinema screen will almost be like IMAX's 1.90 AR, so I would probably recommend that one. Or you know, see it twice: once in IMAX, the other at a Dolby Cinema theater. That's what I'm doing, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 5, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

checkplease posted:

I looked into this a ton and this is what seems to be basically the case:

1) IMAX single laser - full image, largest screen, 4k HFR (the high frame rate), bright (IMAX dual laser apparently doesn't support HFR? The dual laser ones though are really only found at the legacy like, 100' screen IMAXes). They are a lot more rare to find and most IMAX are still standard IMAX digital.

2) Dolby 3d - Brighter than imax laser, better seats and audio, HFR, 4k, better contrast than IMAX laser, but cropped image and smaller screen.

3) IMAX digital 3D- these are the older IMAX that are only 2k and less bright than the lasers, and i believe don't' support the HFR. Still a large screen, but not the brightness or quality of the dolby and IMAX laser systems.

4) Your standard RealD 3D or whatever at that point.

Laser IMAX should be specifically marked as "IMAX Laser" if it doesn't say laser anywhere its most likely the older and more common IMAX digital. For reference this is how AMC theaters label them:

All dolby cinemas are the good dual laser systems so if you see dolby its guaranteed to be a good one, no guesswork.

Also if you are extremely lucky you may be near one of the incredibly few (only 2 in the whole US) Samsung LED theaters, that are literally just a giant theater screen sized LED wall, no projection, that are supposed to just have phenomenal image quality, contrast, HDR, and great bright 3D.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

drat, I honestly forgot about the specific requirements for HFR. Pretty sure the non-IMAX showing I'm going to will be capabale of displaying high frame rate for the necessary scenes, but the IMAX theater I'm going to isn't; according to the liemax site, there aren't any commercial IMAX theaters in IL that have the equipment needed to project HFR; they're all digital (xenon) based format. :rip: At least it'll be projected full frame onto a 70 ft screen.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 5, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

teagone posted:

Most hosed up thing said in this thread.

I mean I grew up on hipster poo poo and am swarmed by kpop daily due to living in Korea, but I'm still regularly exposed to The Weeknd because he's one of the biggest stars in the world.

Unlike many pop stars with that degree of saturation, he loving rules. Here's a good chance to experience a lot of good music for the first time. He's made a decade's worth now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He did a kickass haunted house at universal this past Halloween

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Most hosed up thing said in this thread.

I mean I grew up on hipster poo poo and am swarmed by kpop daily due to living in Korea, but I'm still regularly exposed to The Weeknd because he's one of the biggest stars in the world.

Unlike many pop stars with that degree of saturation, he loving rules. Here's a good chance to experience a lot of good music for the first time. He's made a decade's worth now.

Lol. To be fair, I was very snobby about my music choices from high school through to college graduation, all the way up until I rekindled my love for k-pop a few years ago. I was big on artists like H.O.T, Fin.K.L., S.E.S and Baby Vox (mostly Baby Vox :allears:) in the late 90s/early 2000s for a couple years when I was super into western boybands (Backstreet Boys, Nsync) and then dropped off well before the initial waves of 2nd/3rd gen k-pop made their global impact.

After I grew out of my boyband phase, I just never enjoyed or listened to typical radio play/top 40 poo poo. I've also never heard a Taylor Swift song, which I'm guessing is an apt comparison to not having heard a song by The Weeknd? At least, I've never listened to a Taylor Swift song by choice; one might've been playing at like a Starbucks I was in at some point or whatever I guess lol.

[edit] That said, I'm super curious what the TWOW theme song gonna sound like now after a quick perusal of The Weeknd's stuff. He's aight I guess. Not my vibe tho.

vvv Fair. I was more into alternative rock and baroque pop and poo poo like Sigur Ros and Kashmir in the 2010s (among the other artists I mentioned earlier), not R&B and typical pop poo poo at the time.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 5, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hipsters were listening to The Weeknd in 2011! His first album got an 8.5 and a glowing review on Pitchfork. He was a massive online trend in the late blog/early tumblr era.

You're probably right that you've heard his music in public or whatever, he (and Taylor, as you say) dominate the radio, advertisements etc.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Two years from now, the time it took GRRm to finish TWOW will be equal to the time it took JC to finish TWOW

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

well why not posted:

Hipsters were listening to The Weeknd in 2011! His first album got an 8.5 and a glowing review on Pitchfork. He was a massive online trend in the late blog/early tumblr era.

You're probably right that you've heard his music in public or whatever, he (and Taylor, as you say) dominate the radio, advertisements etc.

Yeah, I recall all the talk about him "selling out" and making more mainstream pop hits in the mid-2010s. Not entirely inaccurate assessments, but I happen to think his pop work is on par with his more sound-scapey stuff that made him an indie hit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kazzah posted:

Two years from now, the time it took GRRm to finish TWOW will be equal to the time it took JC to finish TWOW

Wait, GRRM is going to finish TWOW?!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t know how you’ve never heard the weekend. He pops up everywhere

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My only knowledge of him before yesterday was seeing memes of him looking lost during a performance from around last year I think? Or maybe the year before? I dunno, and then the one twitter account that only posts the video of Daniel Craig saying it's "the weekend" lmao.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Strongly reminded of goons from the wrestling threads losing their minds over other goons not knowing who Bad Bunny is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

teagone posted:

My only knowledge of him before yesterday was seeing memes of him looking lost during a performance from around last year I think? Or maybe the year before? I dunno, and then the one twitter account that only posts the video of Daniel Craig saying it's "the weekend" lmao.

That was the superbowl! I'm not even American and I knew that!