Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Why didn't you even mention me at all, are you pocketing me or what

##vote Illu

Cuz I think you're towny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

hmmmm this is the least i've vibed with illu across the two games i've played with him (including this one and a recently finished one)

i am not sure that's alignment indicative tho

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
could also be the drunkposting

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

yeah kinda seems like it he seems to be simply missing some deets

i sympathize as a (not currently) drunk poster

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
i don't drink so i will not be sympathizing

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

shwinnebego posted:

hmmmm this is the least i've vibed with illu across the two games i've played with him (including this one and a recently finished one)

i am not sure that's alignment indicative tho

What deets am I missing? other than I've also played with you in Love&Masons and Stellaris

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Illusionis posted:

What deets am I missing? other than I've also played with you in Love&Masons and Stellaris

lol i guess that's 4 games then, my bad

it seems like you're missing some mechanical info semi clearing salad

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
i just want to stress that like, scum and CLoaaacac were targeting 6-8 people a night with like their delicious and fungus things so it's unclear whether one of them interacted with Mae.

though i will be able to confirm Mona tonight by following them and or dying tonight.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011

shwinnebego posted:

lol i guess that's 4 games then, my bad

it seems like you're missing some mechanical info semi clearing salad

Could you spell that out for me?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ok

##unvote

Still think it's actually Toal so I'll just change this later if I gotta

##vote Toal

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

other paranoid thoughts with Mona: if the Infiltrators got a factional kill back when the Beast was dealt with it stands to reasaon the Beast might get something if both the infiltrators are dead. Jugg kill maybe??? I don't know, this is a blatant setup spec post but I don't want to leave any thoughts on the table.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Would also explain the Hal kill if so -maybe the Beast thought Hal was scum and intentionally decided to kill him.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

My own theory on the wol situation right now is that he definitely has some sort of killing ability, which is not a vig, see exhibit A:

The low post count thing might just be something he's decided on to pick his target, because of lurking scum. Or possibly to make us all post more.

I mean, there is also the option that wol is scum and has decided the player with the lowest post count will be the nightkill and has been broadcasting this the entire day, but that seems... excessive? Possibly?

Toalpaz posted:

We have to kill this fella. Look at the reasoning on desplay here....

My theory is: take this player at their word.

But I still believe they're a killer!

This is baffling content.

Toalpaz posted:

whats interesting to me is the decision to claim it day one (and try and describe it's powers so that scum can escape the vig?) + people reacting by saying 'oh yeah third party killer or scum' with that kind of comment just passing from the collective memories of us all.

:allears:

I'm kind of on fire this game, I not only identified wind by one vote. I also identified that Cloaca knew about a third party killer because they were not town, before any flips from scum team alerting us to weird third party arrangements.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

honestly I should have realized cloaca was scum when they had the same role name as me but I really didn't think too hard about it lol, c'est la vie

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's a bit of a stretch but the kernel is there :sotw:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Monathin posted:

honestly I should have realized cloaca was scum when they had the same role name as me but I really didn't think too hard about it lol, c'est la vie

there's two engineers too i think

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Toalpaz posted:

there's two engineers too i think

are there? i thought it was just wolo

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Monathin posted:

are there? i thought it was just wolo

for some reason i imagined wolo having a conversation in the thread about having the same role as someone (engineer), and i couldn't find it when i searched using ctr + f

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Monathin posted:

Would also explain the Hal kill if so -maybe the Beast thought Hal was scum and intentionally decided to kill him.

Hal being dead is a total loving loose end

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Even with Cloaca's 3P pheromonal confusion, unless the Beast jugg'd him his death implies that Windward didn't use her protection on her and her partner, which is loving insane

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

shwinnebego posted:

Even with Cloaca's 3P pheromonal confusion, unless the Beast jugg'd him his death implies that Windward didn't use her protection on her and her partner, which is loving insane

Hmm. I wonder.

quote:

Should the Beast nevertheless attempt to kill you or your partner, you will automatically expend your remaining stock of pheromones to redirect the Beast to a random other player. If this happens, you lose the ability to use them to signal the Beast for the rest of the game.

Was Windward the first NK target and binus just got unlucky with a redirect? I think that would be the only explanation for not marking Hal as inedible on the way out.

Kind of more convinced now.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

You are carrying a few doses of artificial pheromones that you can use to guide The Beast towards preferential targets and away from you. During the day or twilight (between hammer and flip), you may ##mark up to one player as delicious and up to two players as inedible (for example, you or your partner). The Beast will receive this information at the beginning of the night, but won’t know the origin of the messages. This is a private day action, submitted in Discord.

Should the Beast nevertheless attempt to kill you or your partner, you will automatically expend your remaining stock of pheromones to redirect the Beast to a random other player. If this happens, you lose the ability to use them to signal the Beast for the rest of the game.
--------------

They probably... decided to save their pheromones for later in the game, because that's the only way to control the kill.

They thought they had one protection with Wind alive, because as long as wind is alive they get one free protection.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Monathin posted:

Hmm. I wonder.

Was Windward the first NK target and binus just got unlucky with a redirect? I think that would be the only explanation for not marking Hal as inedible on the way out.

Kind of more convinced now.

or this

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Actually no, my theory makes most sense if Hal was the N1 kill target.

The Beast would know they got redirected but not know why. Windward's flip means they would immediately know Hal was Wind's partner and chomp down.

Yeah ok, I'm working thru it.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

You are carrying a few doses of artificial pheromones that you can use to guide The Beast towards preferential targets and away from you. During the day or twilight (between hammer and flip), you may ##mark up to one player as delicious and up to two players as inedible (for example, you or your partner). The Beast will receive this information at the beginning of the night, but won’t know the origin of the messages. This is a private day action, submitted in Discord.

--------------

They probably... decided to save their pheromones for later in the game, because that's the only way to control the kill.

They thought they had one protection with Wind alive, because as long as wind is alive they get one free protection.

ok maybe this solves the mystery

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I am going to assume the Beast has a jugg kill unless otherwise debunked.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

k there's enough plausible explanations here that i'm satisfied and think my original read on the overall situation holds

occam's radar still says it's bif or toal

i think we should eliminate bif and then move on, vote bif for a better tomorrow

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Toalpaz posted:

for some reason i imagined wolo having a conversation in the thread about having the same role as someone (engineer), and i couldn't find it when i searched using ctr + f

You're probably thinking of when I speculated that Wind was my evil twin / scum counterpart. It turns out my scum counterpart was Hal, but only in flavor, as he destroyed what I'm attempting to repair.

If there's another engineer, they can't be town or they would have claimed by now.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Monathin posted:

Actually no, my theory makes most sense if Hal was the N1 kill target.

The Beast would know they got redirected but not know why. Windward's flip means they would immediately know Hal was Wind's partner and chomp down.

Yeah ok, I'm working thru it.

This would be funny and also the result of terrible luck for the scum team, so it's probably what happened.

That makes me wonder: would Beast Bif try to nk Hal N1 after casing him all day?

...Probably?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

wologar posted:

That makes me wonder: would Beast Bif try to nk Hal N1 after casing him all day?

...Probably?

Lol I prolly would

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

wologar posted:

This would be funny and also the result of terrible luck for the scum team, so it's probably what happened.

...Probably?

I mean thinking on it it would make a lot of sense that the Beast was helping scumhunt if not having the Infiltrators alive empowers it. Which, bear in mind: No evidence of that, but still.

Also extremely lol if the sequence really is:
- Beast targets Hal N1, gets redirected so knows they hit their 'scumteam'
- binus died due to unlucky redirect
- Windward's pheromones are spent on that redirect, so Windward can't spend them before getting executed to protect Hal
- Hal dies the next night because Windward's flip confirms them to the Beast as the other scum

Truly a comedy of errors here

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Monathin posted:

Not doing poo poo until I hear from Illu, and the more I get stalled the more I feel like I've got something here.

Do I actually have something? Probably not, but I suspect I do.

I want to know who's in the masonry today.

Catching up on posts but hi, it's me. Illu said he's out drinking with buds tonight so we haven't talked much.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Illusionis posted:

Not to worry I got a free day tomorrow and am drunk present, got Maer in the comms today

Oh yeah once again was already answered, lol.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your confirmation was appreciated Mae! That soundly kills my theory that only aliens can communicate with Illu.

I think I would still like to flip them out of paranoia but I think we have handily nailed a core group of who the beast can actively be at this point.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Monathin posted:

I mean thinking on it it would make a lot of sense that the Beast was helping scumhunt if not having the Infiltrators alive empowers it. Which, bear in mind: No evidence of that, but still.

Also extremely lol if the sequence really is:
- Beast targets Hal N1, gets redirected so knows they hit their 'scumteam'
- binus died due to unlucky redirect
- Windward's pheromones are spent on that redirect, so Windward can't spend them before getting executed to protect Hal
- Hal dies the next night because Windward's flip confirms them to the Beast as the other scum

Truly a comedy of errors here

whlie i am town and want town to win it's hard not to at least kinda root for the beast as a serious underdog in this scenario lol

also, as a redshirt i think starfleet is a bourgeois liberal imperialist organization masquerading under the banner of post-scarcity egalitarianism. while i'd personally be an unfortunate casuality of a rampaging beast who does not discriminate among rank in selecting its victims, my superior officers value my life just as little and i'd at least go down knowing that they're going with me, the rotten bastards!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I don't know what to make of all this poo poo so far, I feel like I need to make a cheat sheet to track what happened.

Do we think we know between Illu and myself who Wind sent the fake message to, does it matter? I wrote in my confessional last night salad looked suspicious as hell for wavering on Hal and Wind, but both their flips mention *A* partner. I also questioned why he had to immediately claim at the start of D2 but forgetting the loud modifier unless he knew a fake message was going out to someone (or maybe that Illu had received a fake?)

That kind of puts a fork in that idea.

Bif if you are a redshirt how are you receiving garbled text? I thought that was garbled results text (I may need to reread).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

b-minus1 posted:

Alright so like I said I feel pretty confident that keane hal and yami (*Wind) are scum.

2 scum, 1 not town is pretty good.

Binus true town MVP, let's bring it home.

My first thought when seeing Hal died was that Bif killed him, lol. I initially thought Fire & Ice but with two self aligned and two scum flipped, I don't know that I can see 2 more scum and the beast to find.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

shwinnebego posted:

whlie i am town and want town to win it's hard not to at least kinda root for the beast as a serious underdog in this scenario lol

In this scenario, the beast decided to finish off the scum team by itself, so I don't know if 'underdog' fits.

shwinnebego posted:

also, as a redshirt i think starfleet is a bourgeois liberal imperialist organization masquerading under the banner of post-scarcity egalitarianism. while i'd personally be an unfortunate casuality of a rampaging beast who does not discriminate among rank in selecting its victims, my superior officers value my life just as little and i'd at least go down knowing that they're going with me, the rotten bastards!

The beast fought against its captors to reveal this truth! Release your shackles! Be like the beast!

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Illusionis posted:

Called Maer cause I think she's town after the flips, flavor is communications officer, able to temp fix communications for a bit, but lose contact after the day and can't mason the same player again

Wonder if wolo can fix that too (smash another button wolo!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Maerlyn posted:

Bif if you are a redshirt how are you receiving garbled text? I thought that was garbled results text (I may need to reread).

I actually do want the answer to this. Has anyone who doesn't have night actions gotten garbled text?