Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

zoux posted:

What makes DS souls combat challenging to me is that attacks use funny rhythms that are difficult to time and have inscrutable models that fill up more than the screen so you can't see what the gently caress is hitting you. Dodge the tail, wait is that a tail or just a putrescent extrusion. But it's just generally dodge hit dodge hit dodge hit which is every third person action game. I'll allow I never get very far into these games because I absolutely despise them but keep convincing myself that since everyone else loves them so much I must be missing something.

You're not missing anything, there are just a lot of people who suck at video games but can feel like they're "getting good" when they eventually memorize a bunch of ridiculously delayed timings, deliberately deceptive animations, and disjointed hitboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zoux posted:

Oh I keep meaning to ask: I'm gonna play HFW when it comes out for PC but what was the contrivance that makes Aloy forget all the skills and abilities that she unlocked in the first game? I'm also curious what they'll do to strip Cal Kestis back to a Level 1 Jedi.

I don't think there is an explanation for how she forgot to do things, but they explain that she lost all of her gear while rushing around between games, so you start with just a basic bow.

You start off wearing the fancy energy shield armour from the end of Zero Dawn, but the batteries are fried, so it's just basic armour now.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

K8.0 posted:

You're not missing anything, there are just a lot of people who suck at video games but can feel like they're "getting good" when they eventually memorize a bunch of ridiculously delayed timings, deliberately deceptive animations, and disjointed hitboxes.

:rolleyes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

those poor, sad, hopeless plebs that suck at video games, unlike me, erudite, cognoscenti, good at videogames, huge virgin

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

While VS is fun, Stray probably won more for the technical aspects coming from a debut. VS is very much what people imagine a one man indie debut game looks like.

:emptyquote:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
that's my favorite kind of soulsmad post

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just gonna put it out there that if you give Ken Levine money, either as an individual buying his game, or a company paying him to make it, you are a loving idiot

Bioshock games have sold 37 million copies and metacritics from 85-96%

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I am so loving bad at Ixion lol

Opened up Sector 2 and promptly had 3 different accidents in 10 sweeps or whatever they're called. Nobody was overworked, I must have just opened the floodgates to dumbasses.

I'm going to start over from scratch with some better planning + I think I figured out how to open Sector 2 before doing the Vohle jump that kicks things off, might be easier to get two smaller sectors stable before jumping head first into Hull Breach Issues, rather than migrating a bunch of people over right as I'm fully out of easy Alloys AND figuring out how to get mining going well

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tips on Ghostrunner? I'm not very far in at all but I'm finding myself to be incredibly inconsistent - sometimes I can clear rooms and sometimes I get tagged by the rapid fire goons, and it feels like I'm doing the exact same thing. I feel like I'm not quite grokking how they track me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boxman posted:

Tips on Ghostrunner? I'm not very far in at all but I'm finding myself to be incredibly inconsistent - sometimes I can clear rooms and sometimes I get tagged by the rapid fire goons, and it feels like I'm doing the exact same thing. I feel like I'm not quite grokking how they track me.

Always keep moving. Preferably wallrunning. While you're wallrunning you're basically invincible.
Then you wait for an opening, when it comes to the machinegun dudes their opening is when they reload, or you're behind them, and then you dash in for a kill.

Don't ever forget the ABCs.
Always Be Cwallrunning.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

those poor, sad, hopeless plebs that suck at video games, unlike me, erudite, cognoscenti, good at videogames, huge virgin

Stand on the point you fucks

Wait what are we talking about

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

sebmojo posted:

Nickelback sold a lot of records, too.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Chalk me up as someone else who didn't really get Elden Ring. I put another ten or so hours into since my last post and.. As someone who enjoyed Dark Souls 1 and 3... It feels like a retread that isn't really helped by the open world format.

To my casual eyes, combat hasn't meaningfully changed since DS3, and somehow the narrative/story is worse? Or maybe it was just always bad and how it's even more apparent in an open world game, because you don't have a clear path of progression and the weak narrative doesn't give me enough motivation to keep moving.

I can understand why some people see it as a good game, but for me now firmly in the category of like, Call of Duty games where it's become a tired formula.

tl;dr: bring bloodborne to pc you cowards

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terminally Bored posted:

Always bet on Nickelback :krakken:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

This is such a dumb comparison.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sebmojo posted:

They're still not as good as System Shock 2

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Chalk me up as someone else who didn't really get Elden Ring. I put another ten or so hours into since my last post and.. As someone who enjoyed Dark Souls 1 and 3... It feels like a retread that isn't really helped by the open world format.

To my casual eyes, combat hasn't meaningfully changed since DS3, and somehow the narrative/story is worse? Or maybe it was just always bad and how it's even more apparent in an open world game, because you don't have a clear path of progression and the weak narrative doesn't give me enough motivation to keep moving.

I can understand why some people see it as a good game, but for me now firmly in the category of like, Call of Duty games where it's become a tired formula.

tl;dr: bring bloodborne to pc you cowards

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People slag off hand-holding Ubisoft games but I love those kinds of games. I hate the Japanese style of deliberately obtuse and confusing mechanics, layout, and narrative, one time when I was giving From games "another chance" I said to myself - I'm going to go through the very first level of this game, I am going to do my best to explore every nook and cranny and then I'm going to look at a walkthrough and see how much stuff I missed. And it was so much loving stuff. I was always the guy who'd get stuck in games before the internet because I'd get lost or whatever so I acknowledge this is probably a me thing, but there's a strangeness to games that are developed in Japan and localized for the West that I just don't follow intuitively. I get that it adds tons of replayability and fun for people who like to explore and find secrets and are willing to put in the time and deal with the frustration, but that is just not me. I'm a simple lad and I need a minimap and markers and arrows and quest logs and tutorials. The fact that the tutorial section in Elden Ring is completely missable really rubbed me the wrong way. And it's not like I couldn't find it, I looked over the edge and thought "oh that's a non-survivable drop" - no it's literally the place where you are supposed to learn the mechanics.

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but every time I grab a Capcom or Square or From or game from a Japanese publisher, I end up hating it. Death Stranding is like the apotheosis of this and, again, it boggles my mind that so many people like it because it to me it is literally the worst game of all time. BUT! I understand this is me and don't begrudge the fans and in fact wish that I could like these sorts of games, because I like to play games and I feel like half the market is just not for me.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

is such a dumb comparison.

Why? Bioshock is a watered down System Shock that retreads all of its story beats. It simplified all the stuff that made SS engrossing while focusing on visuals (which were cool, admittedly).

It made a ton of money but using that as an argument is as silly as calling the Forbes 100 people the smartest in the world.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Why? Bioshock is a watered down System Shock that retreads all of its story beats. It simplified all the stuff that made SS engrossing while focusing on visuals (which were cool, admittedly).

It made a ton of money but using it as an argument is as silly as calling the Forbes 100 people the smartest in the world.

How many album of the year awards did Nickelback win? Whether you think they were overrated or not, Bioshock games were extremely popular with both gamers and critics, and while I think time has been a bit less kind to them (mostly because Infinite, while not a bad game, didn't live up to the hype), comparing them to garbage tier music that plenty of people hated even at the time isn't a good analogy. Yeah sometimes popular things are bad, but Bioshock wasn't, even if it's not your favorite game ever. And even if making a clone of it in 2022 doesn't particularly excite me either.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll give it some credit

Bioshock 1 was good the year it released.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

How many album of the year awards did Nickelback win? Whether you think they were overrated or not, Bioshock games were extremely popular with both gamers and critics, and while I think time has been a bit less kind to them (mostly because Infinite, while not a bad game, didn't live up to the hype), comparing them to garbage tier music that plenty of people hated even at the time isn't a good analogy. Yeah sometimes popular things are bad, but Bioshock wasn't, even if it's not your favorite game ever. And even if making a clone of it in 2022 doesn't particularly excite me either.

They won lots: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Nickelback

Music awards are as valuable as video game ones. Popularity and profits don't mean poo poo.

And Bioshock doesn't have to be my favorite game ever. It could just not be as derivative as it was.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

People slag off hand-holding Ubisoft games but I love those kinds of games. I hate the Japanese style of deliberately obtuse and confusing mechanics, layout, and narrative, one time when I was giving From games "another chance" ...

Ideally IMO the best is somewhere in between. Don't necessarily need the most hand-holdy spelling every tiny detail out, but yea Eldenring's 100% lack of even the most basic "features" did make it tough. I did put almost 90 hours into it, but could not beat the last boss. For probably the first third or so I was trying to embrace the, "If I stumble upon the solution to that thing I encountered a while ago then I'll do" philosophy... But the second half of the game was positively just googling poo poo so I could find the good things.

Overall I would say I enjoyed the game, but I don't see myself ever doing a second play through or probably even buying another game from them. It was almost more just like a fun sort of cultural thing because everybody was playing it, and it was novel for a significant percent of those folks. Reminded me of the 00's and being out in public and hearing random strangers also talking about World of Warcraft :monocle:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Bioshock is the only game I ever torrented and then got an email from my ISP telling me to knock it off.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bioshock and Dark Souls mashup when?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found Bioshock to be extremely uninteresting.

Prey, on the other hand, was much better at making a Shock game.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember being extremely psyched for bioshock. I loved system shock 1 and 2, so much and the hype was all about Bioshock being a spiritual successor. Bioshock looked good but it really was a watered-down-for-consoles version of system shock 2, in every way. Fewer upgrades, a lovely 'moral choice' preventing you from getting as many upgrades as you could, and the pain stick was the best weapon. Literally the final boss was so easy because circle strafing him close up, completely negated anything he did. The big daddies were way more of a threat than him. I got annoyed at the big reveal because it was basically the same one from system shock 2. I got about 1 hour into bioshock 2 before I gave up on the franchise.

edit: prey was fantastic, and I loved it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I found Bioshock to be extremely uninteresting.

Prey, on the other hand, was much better at making a Shock game.

Yeah, Prey was made by ex-Looking Glass people iirc. It was really good and modernising SS. Still waiting for that SS remake though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after this year I just want games to shut up. stop narrating my actions. stop giving me hints. stop commenting every time I walk into a room. just shut up. shut up! shut the gently caress up!!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

after this year I just want games to shut up. stop narrating my actions. stop giving me hints. stop commenting every time I walk into a room. just shut up. shut up! shut the gently caress up!!

Please look forward to 2023 game of the year Forspoken.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 when

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

my friend have you heard of a little known games series called “dark souls”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They're still not as good as System Shock 2

gently caress yeah. I remember seeing that in stores and the feeling of legitimate thrill, back before you knew about everything coming months ahead of time (and back when youbought things in stores lol)

I loved the weight of objects in that game, feel like that was a little thing they did better than any other game to date.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Oxxidation posted:

An underrated thing the new Tomb Raider games did (maybe from the second on?) was do the Silent Hill "puzzle difficulty/hint aspects/combat difficulty" split when you began the game and let you tweak them. Do you not want Lara "thinking" the solution out loud? Tell her to shut up! You're the player here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

forspoken’s demo was very bad but it has an option toggle to make the characters shut up, something that is apparently beyond Sony’s flagship games

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

God of NoCriticalThinkingRequired

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

People slag off hand-holding Ubisoft games but I love those kinds of games. I hate the Japanese style of deliberately obtuse and confusing mechanics, layout, and narrative, one time when I was giving From games "another chance" I said to myself - I'm going to go through the very first level of this game, I am going to do my best to explore every nook and cranny and then I'm going to look at a walkthrough and see how much stuff I missed. And it was so much loving stuff. I was always the guy who'd get stuck in games before the internet because I'd get lost or whatever so I acknowledge this is probably a me thing, but there's a strangeness to games that are developed in Japan and localized for the West that I just don't follow intuitively. I get that it adds tons of replayability and fun for people who like to explore and find secrets and are willing to put in the time and deal with the frustration, but that is just not me. I'm a simple lad and I need a minimap and markers and arrows and quest logs and tutorials. The fact that the tutorial section in Elden Ring is completely missable really rubbed me the wrong way. And it's not like I couldn't find it, I looked over the edge and thought "oh that's a non-survivable drop" - no it's literally the place where you are supposed to learn the mechanics.

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but every time I grab a Capcom or Square or From or game from a Japanese publisher, I end up hating it. Death Stranding is like the apotheosis of this and, again, it boggles my mind that so many people like it because it to me it is literally the worst game of all time. BUT! I understand this is me and don't begrudge the fans and in fact wish that I could like these sorts of games, because I like to play games and I feel like half the market is just not for me.

:same: for 95% of this post

I definitely find myself not having the patience for things I would have dug into before. There are just always more games, and you don't need to spend idle time not having fun just on the promise of having more fun later.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i would never turn of a woman character’s dialogue, that would be doing a misogyny

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i would never turn of a woman character’s dialogue, that would be doing a misogyny

If anything we should have options to amplify women's voices.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 when

I can tolerate 3 pawns going "Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen!" every single time I see a wolf much better than the modern "witty" Marvel quips.

Those make me wanna stab forks in my ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Now I've got a narrator reading my thoughts out loud? Didn't expect THAT when I woke up this morning.