Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stoatbringer posted:

Until you have to jet wash all the leaves and birdshit out of them, at least.

All I can think of is what it would cost to change a tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Stoatbringer posted:

Until you have to jet wash all the leaves and birdshit out of them, at least.

Oh yeah, they're cool, not practical. I'd fear them getting stuck or removed during high speed braking.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

A farting mink posted:

Just look at this over-engineered piece of poo poo. Elmund could never in a million years make something so cool.
https://twitter.com/TansuYegen/status/1602328281168154624?s=20&t=XuKb9HBo9o8jV_WmIH2PSA

Love christmas tree cars that have distracting poo poo all over the place,noone will crash into the back because noone knows where the brake lights are.

No sirree.

Edit::Oh gently caress i’m responding to Hitler prick,my bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

So for leftist media organisations and politicians/public figures, when does it become unacceptably unprincipled to stay on Twitter? Does the good of broadcasting leftwing ideals to a wider audience outweigh the bad of supplying content and revenue-generating impressions for a billionaire on the far-right?

I left Twitter a few weeks ago. 10/10 decision, would leave again - but I am needing to put more effort into maintaining a diet of leftwing content and analysis. I suspect that some people would, quite understandably, not make this effort.

Two months ago.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This guy really didn't know he had of the most bottled accounts in Twitter and turned off his own "fans"

Lmao

Is he getting rationed now?

Will he turn them back on?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goatface posted:

The adaptive rear wing scales are cool. The controller is a joystick but worse, but then it's presumably only meant for minor adjustments while the self driving would do the rest. The lights are excessive and distracting imo.

Looks pretty though.

I could see a case being made for the joystick thing for accessibility maybe? Especially if it's just an A-to-B commute vehicle. It's absolutely a concept car for show, but they really seem to have put thought into making it actually work, and you could probably argue for some of that demo'd tech going into actual production EV's down the line in something less extreme than a "money is no object" iteration.

goatface posted:

Oh yeah, they're cool, not practical. I'd fear them getting stuck or removed during high speed braking.

Yeah, the first thing I thought too was how long till they start breaking? I doubt they're standardized between plates either, so good luck finding a replacement limb and motor for a stuck-open Fin_Plate_05_L.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Why did they bedazzle the car?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Everyone's gonna be too busy looking at thir phones to pay attention to the flashy lights in front of them

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of my favorite things I've learned from this thread is that most car manufacturers (and also Google) have developed much better self-driving AI than Tesla, and none of them have marketed it because it's still not good enough to not needlessly kill people.

makes you wonder what tesla's problem is, hint, it's elon musk

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

We are past the point where those figures have an indirect effect on the price of publicly-traded shares, but they do have a more direct effect on revenue. Content —> Engagement —> Revenue. Even if you are posting good content, you are giving your followers more reasons to keep using the platform, and increasing the number of impressions Elon can sell to brands.

So Bernie or AOC or Corbyn or Jacobin or Novara Media are helping prop up a far-right billionaire’s business with each post they make. I think all those people/outlets are thoughtful enough that they recognise this is a bit of a Faustian bargain and they are concluding that for now, the reach and positive influence they can have on the platform outweighs the evil of helping make Elon richer (or, less poor, in the case of his investment in Twitter). But surely there is a line that the CEO of a company can cross before it’s too offensive to your principles that you can support their venture; after the “Prosecute/Fauci” thing I’m just wondering where that line is.

No achievable amount of revenue is going to offset how much Elon is already losing every day, and every shitpost has a chance of being the one that corrupts the database beyond repair.

I got suspended already, and since I'm never giving Elon my phone number to start my "countdown", it's basically permanent.

I'm not even saying "stay on twitter", I'm saying "call Elon Musk a stupid uncool rear end in a top hat in his replies until they throw you out."

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

What kind of car you drive? I just picked up a pre-owned Elantra and absolutely love it!

I drive a Bioluminescent Cockroach™.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Part of pthe issue I have with "leaving Twitter starves it of impressions and revenue" is failing to recognize that the nature of Twitter has changed: it's no longer a (barely viable) going business concern, it is now one pathetic assholes vanity project money pit.

"Just leave" makes sense on Facebook or LinkedIn or YouTube, which are still trying to be businesses. Twitter is not.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Data Graham posted:

All I can think of is what it would cost to change a tire.

If u had that car u would have a property manager take care of it for you.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Agents are GO! posted:

Part of pthe issue I have with "leaving Twitter starves it of impressions and revenue" is failing to recognize that the nature of Twitter has changed: it's no longer a (barely viable) going business concern, it is now one pathetic assholes vanity project money pit.

"Just leave" makes sense on Facebook or LinkedIn or YouTube, which are still trying to be businesses. Twitter is not.
I don't think that's really the case either, at least not yet. For now Twitter's a sunk cost, but it has real ongoing costs that Musk himself doesn't have to pay unless he chooses to. Since he is an idiot and is apt to fall into sunk cost fallacy, it may well become the money pit that he tosses another nation's GDP into, but that's not guaranteed. He's still treating it as a serious business, it's just that his demands are ultimately unserious to anyone outside his echo chamber. In six months after he comes off his current coke bender/he goes back to his depressive phase/he gets bored, and Twitter is still bleeding red and the first debt payments come due, we'll see.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
E: ^^^yeah, basically this

Agents are GO! posted:

I disagree, in Musk's view he's absolutely trying to make Twitter a profitable business. It's just that it's become plainly evident to the rest of us that he doesn't have the first goddamn clue of how to go about doing that.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the scales on the mercedes are kinda cool looking im ngl. rest of it looks like a gamer case but its just a concept car yall its not meant to be practical

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like Zaslav, he's following the right-wing-goldfish-memory playbook of "sell off all our current assets and cut all staff headcount, that'll reduce costs like nobody's business"

Much in the same way that cutting taxes helps the economy

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

thathonkey posted:

the scales on the mercedes are kinda cool looking im ngl. rest of it looks like a gamer case but its just a concept car yall its not meant to be practical

When he "unlocks" the car with his fingerprint in the wheel well I, a New Englander, immediately lol'd because in the winter that area is always filled with sand and slushy snow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

morningdrew posted:

When he "unlocks" the car with his fingerprint in the wheel well I, a New Englander, immediately lol'd because in the winter that area is always filled with sand and slushy snow

I laughed at the whole "Hey you guys, it's a SECRET thumbprint scanner!" deal in general.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I disagree, in Musk's view he's absolutely trying to make Twitter a profitable business. It's just that it's become plainly evident to the rest of us that he doesn't have the first goddamn clue of how to go about doing that.

Also plainly evidence for the EU to come down on him like a ton of bricks! :downsrim:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Obviously it's supposed to drive on Mars

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Shaking lemur butt posted:

Pretty sure one of them already did some other time when he was quoting The Matrix.
It was Lilly and it was beautiful, especially when you see the other person involved in the conversation
https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1602480361774120960

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Love christmas tree cars that have distracting poo poo all over the place,noone will crash into the back because noone knows where the brake lights are.

No sirree.

You gotta hand it to Hitler, he drove a pretty cool car! Not all bad!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how even if it were true that Hitler invented freeways, we're supposed to imagine that nobody else would have independently come up with them if it weren't for him. You know, you want a moon shot, you gotta have Nazis, no two ways about it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Steadiman posted:

It was Lilly and it was beautiful, especially when you see the other person involved in the conversation
https://twitter.com/stevanzetti/status/1602480361774120960

Lmao this piece of poo poo was doing this "I'M TOTALLY A LIBERAL BUT VOTE REPUBLICAN GUYZ" back in May of 2020, when COVID was ravaging the US and Trump was doing loving nothing.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I think the fact that twitter is privately owned simply means in no way is it 'too big to fail'.

If Elon does increase the character limit to 4000 or whatever, it will hasten the demise of twitter's relevance.

A real Marshall McLuhan case study going on here.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Withnail posted:

If Elon does increase the character limit to 4000 or whatever, it will hasten the demise of twitter's relevance.

i'm pretty skeptical he has the juice to actually implement this.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

Looking forward to the excuses his cultists have if this never materializes.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

punishedkissinger posted:

It is likely something that can be "implemented" fairly easily if you're willing to forego any planning for scale or maintenance and just yeet it into production. The rollout would be fun to watch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Looking forward to the excuses his cultists have if this never materializes.

"it is his first social media company, and everyone is allowed to make mistakes. you need to cut him some slack and stop being obsessed."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

No sirree.

It's only going to be driven on closed private roads with hired security nearby for cameras. you probably don't even need to engineer it to go above second gear.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
This g couldn't even self drive itself within the clearly defined lines

Mite able to drive you into oncoming traffic

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

No sirree.

concept cars like this one are generally not meant to be taken seriously by anyone, they're just showing off some cool poo poo people were working on

edit: like, that's the big thing with the Cybertruck, if it was a concept car showing off some stuff they were working on (which is probably what it was supposed to be), whatever, but Elon got his mitts on it and immediately promised to have it in production within 12 months and started selling it, and now here what, 4-5 years later? Keeps insisting that it's going to be out in a few months, despite the fact that the materials and design are physically incapable of passing a NHTSA crash test.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 13, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

shoeberto posted:

It is likely something that can be "implemented" fairly easily if you're willing to forego any planning for scale or maintenance and just yeet it into production. The rollout would be fun to watch.

Yeah, Elon's understanding of Twitter can be summed up as "It just serving up 280 characters. How hard can it be?" The user facing stuff with Twitter really is trivial and since from external appearances the character limit is arbitrary, it's possible to implement a 4000 character limit in a day. Reality, of course, is that if you just shoot it out like that it's going to break a lot of poo poo including a lot of poo poo that nobody was expecting. Even if it's carefully rolled out with lots of testing and review and input from all departments and a gentle transition and the teams handling it hadn't been pushed to the breaking point due to fulfilling the whims of a mad child emperor, something is going to fail in a totally unexpected way. But how hard can it be? It's just changing one value, right?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao this piece of poo poo was doing this "I'M TOTALLY A LIBERAL BUT VOTE REPUBLICAN GUYZ" back in May of 2020, when COVID was ravaging the US and Trump was doing loving nothing.

reminder that musk only "came out" as a republican because the reporter working on the story of him flashing his knobbly dong at a flight attendant did their due diligence of contacting him for comment before publishing anything, and that was his way of getting ahead of the story

elon musk does not know or understand very much, but he's quite experienced in the art of being an unrepentant rear end in a top hat and knows that being a republican is a free pass to never get held accountable for sexual harassment

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Protesting Elon by hanging out in the Qanon chat room

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Is he declaring war on the k-pop stans?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

"it is his first social media company, and everyone is allowed to make mistakes. you need to cut him some slack and stop being obsessed."

I refuse to believe they would frame it as a mistake. I'm guessing they pivot to "it was only ever going to be for select users, if you don't have it it's because Elon doesn't want you to <crylaugh.emoji>"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

is that cybertruck still allegedly coming out? There are people who have paid some amount of money for one of those already, right?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I disagree as well. The smart money is that he will fail, but Elon is definitely trying to make it a viable business. Think of the (even non-financial) rewards of proving wrong everyone who said he bought it at an insane valuation and would never succeed in making it profitable.

I don’t know the unit economics of the business, but I assume it is not losing money on each incremental dollar of revenue (happy to be proven wrong on this point).

So back to my original point, I’m worried that there are quite a lot of otherwise good people who are complicit in prolonging the lifespan of a platform that is becoming a cesspool for the alt-right/far-right and one of their leaders, who incidentally is the CEO of that platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

is that cybertruck still allegedly coming out? There are people who have paid some amount of money for one of those already, right?

I think they might be finally making... at least one of them?