Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i hope bari still has enough time to keep up her work as a professor at the free speech university

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the free press is already a taken name for a paper

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

the free press is already a taken name for a paper
saw a print copy of that in a "conspiracy" bookstore and remember the neo-nazi organizations advertising in the classified section with p.o. box mailing addresses

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the detroit free press?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

the detroit free press?

freep, as they call it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats free republic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

freep.com

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
back in the day freep seems almost quaint these days compared to what most of those freaks are like now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yeah compared to today freep seems downright genteel

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

euphronius posted:

I wonder how close the nyt is to realizing it is also right wing like elon

So close I can almost smell it. But they'll never get there. Too much capital at stake, and the scent of money is overpowering.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The tweeter presumes the journo isn't already a fawning supplicant on the side of employers.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What on earth, Bari Weiss apparently interviewed Kareem on all the Kanye/Kyrie stuff.

https://www.thefp.com/p/kareem-abdul-jabbar-on-kanye-kyrie?repost

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/technology/elon-musk-management-style.html

The Times' bozo Musk follower laying down some real insights (on what a bunch of sociopathic CEOs like about Musk's "management style").

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/corncommunist/status/1604513805962301440?s=46&t=qJkc7WL50QBDvMTmXHxYeA

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"Some Theme's Missing"

No, there's a theme there

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What on earth, Bari Weiss apparently interviewed Kareem on all the Kanye/Kyrie stuff.

https://www.thefp.com/p/kareem-abdul-jabbar-on-kanye-kyrie?repost

quote:

Some Jewish Americans, especially the ones living alongside black Americans in cities like New York, see their relationship with their black neighbors through the lens of the Crown Heights Riots and the Knockout Game—not the civil rights movement.

amazing

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a really intelligent, cool guy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I can see it but I had to try a bit, I think it’s a stretch

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This isn't their first time at the rodeo

https://twitter.com/NYTGames/status/924284422106632192

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s clearly a swastika

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

maybe it wasnt intentional but it definitely is a swastika

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my uncle works at the new york times and he said it's a swastika and they did it on purpose bc they're nazis and they love swastikas

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sorry your uncle is a nazi

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Apparently some graphic design schools go out of their way to teach swastika-avoidance because it's apparently easy to make a swastika accidentally. I don't know if that's true or not though

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

No one sits down to make a Doom map and says, "Hey! You know what would look cool?"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

I’m sorry your uncle is a nazi

actually he's an enlightened centrist changing the organization from the inside t:mad:t

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cloks posted:

amazing

shes probably one of the smartest journalists out there

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

No one sits down to make a Doom map and says, "Hey! You know what would look cool?"

This was my formative swastika memory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

christmas boots posted:

Apparently some graphic design schools go out of their way to teach swastika-avoidance because it's apparently easy to make a swastika accidentally. I don't know if that's true or not though
A windmill/cross layout is (or was) a somewhat standard shape in architecture, due to being an efficient layout for regular buildings. Continue the efficiency logic while trying to spice it up with some angles, and you easily end up making a swastika. Basically, swastikazation is a natural part of the design world, hence it being so prevalent across cultures across the world. I could see a graphic design school deciding to make a course to avoid it and other symbols like the SS bolts, which are simple enough that they might innocently appear in a design.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar is a really intelligent, cool guy.

also a huge sherlock holmes nerd, his mycroft book is really good it felt like he came up with the plot and his cowriter made the prose more conan doyle like, didn't feel like he threw his name on someone else's work like most athletes would

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

HashtagGirlboss posted:

that's the good swastika not the evil swastika

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Man, now my brain just came up with "Nazi Link" and I am not happy about this.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Man, now my brain just came up with "Nazi Link" and I am not happy about this.
He's called Recht.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A windmill/cross layout is (or was) a somewhat standard shape in architecture, due to being an efficient layout for regular buildings. Continue the efficiency logic while trying to spice it up with some angles, and you easily end up making a swastika. Basically, swastikazation is a natural part of the design world, hence it being so prevalent across cultures across the world. I could see a graphic design school deciding to make a course to avoid it and other symbols like the SS bolts, which are simple enough that they might innocently appear in a design.

卍 (a manji, aka the non-Nazi one) has a lot of historical and current usage, and is still used as the symbol for Buddhist temples on maps and the like. See also the above Zelda map.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IpF7CnZVi8&t=925s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

christmas boots posted:

schools don’t teach that cuz all you gotta do is look at it and be like hmmm does this look a little swastikesque?? same deal for the classic cock and balls. this stuff is like design 101 you don’t even get to use colors until you can identify your shapes. so if you see a dick or fascist icon you can be certain that somewhere along the line there was a designer who was thinking there’s no way they’re gonna pick the logo that looks like a swastika / twig and berries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I thought this was someones dwarf fortress fort for a good minute or two lol