Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i recently redid the pid tuning on my quad and its so much smoother to fly now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYfWJC72QY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
I've just put together a Tarot 690 hexacopter running Arducopter on a Pixhawk (mostly for me to learn about setting up a GPS drone and to satisfy my daughter's need to have aerial transportation for her dolls). At any rate, I'm now thinking it would be nice to put a gimbaled camera on it to shoot some aerial video. Is a GoPro with a separate gimbal still the way to go here, or are there better options now? Any advice here appreciated.

I am planning to fly this (mostly) autonomously, so the gimbal should be something that interfaces well with Arducopter so I can program its movements in the mission plan.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The gimbal market for DIY drones have completely collapsed. DJI's are just so much better that most that want a gimbal just ends up buying a DJI.
The nearest ones worthwhile are Gremsy, but even the entry level ones are above $1k.
You *can* build your own encoded gimbals with Alexmos stuff, but the wiring is a major pain in the rear end as you now need to route wires for both motors, camera, encoders, which makes it a real tough DIY project.
Having said that, if you just want to stick a gimbal on it, you can probably still find a Tarot gimbal somewhere, just be aware that it's now 10 year old tech.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Heeelp!

I'm on holidays with my Mavic Air and the new S22Ultra phone. I had it restore everything from my last phone so all's good, right?

So I got to my location and... Dji Go 4 crashes on launch, just immediately with no error or anything, just quits. I Uninstalled it and went to the app store to get the new one, but it's not there at all. Eventually found the APK on the dji site, but I can't install that either, because sideloading is locked out by corporate policy.

What I managed to do is use Samsung cloud to restore the app from my last phone, so it'd back, but still doesn't work of course.

Just what the gently caress. Any ideas how to work around this? Maybe if I update the app on my old phone, make a backup, and restore it again? But of course I don't have the old phone with me on the trip.
Soooo. I had to do the backup/restore dance once again after a recent Android update and was able to fly perfectly fine on a trip.

Until my phone got smashed and the bottom part of the screen now onlybarely works, sometimes. :negative:

I do have a windows 11 laptop with me, but the Android emulation doesn't seem to work on it. Does anyone know of a native windows solution to fly a Mavic Air from a PC?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The gimbal market for DIY drones have completely collapsed. DJI's are just so much better that most that want a gimbal just ends up buying a DJI.
The nearest ones worthwhile are Gremsy, but even the entry level ones are above $1k.
You *can* build your own encoded gimbals with Alexmos stuff, but the wiring is a major pain in the rear end as you now need to route wires for both motors, camera, encoders, which makes it a real tough DIY project.
Having said that, if you just want to stick a gimbal on it, you can probably still find a Tarot gimbal somewhere, just be aware that it's now 10 year old tech.

Thanks, I was definitely getting the impression that everything I was looking at was pretty outdated; now I see why! I have seen some reasonably priced Tarot gimbals; they are for older GoPros, but it seems like you could get a new model on there with a little bit of customization.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Soooo. I had to do the backup/restore dance once again after a recent Android update and was able to fly perfectly fine on a trip.

Until my phone got smashed and the bottom part of the screen now onlybarely works, sometimes. :negative:

I do have a windows 11 laptop with me, but the Android emulation doesn't seem to work on it. Does anyone know of a native windows solution to fly a Mavic Air from a PC?

This is something I really dislike about DJI stuff. I love my Mavic, but I really wish there were more options besides just Apple/Android. Let us at least use Windows and/or Linux

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is something I really dislike about DJI stuff. I love my Mavic, but I really wish there were more options besides just Apple/Android. Let us at least use Windows and/or Linux

:agreed:

The Ichi or litchi thing also seems to be iphone/android only.

On the upside it does seem like the Android emulation should work on my PC so I'm downloading the 1.4gb package at 45kb/s of blazing developing country internet. We'll see tomorrow how much of a disaster this is going to be.

E: well well well...

So much closer, but so far it's not detecting the controller though, which might be a fatal problem if that's not actually supported by WSA

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 8, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I tried running it in BlueStacks and it was the same issue. It runs, but it wont talk to the controller

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Tetraptous posted:

I've just put together a Tarot 690 hexacopter running Arducopter on a Pixhawk (mostly for me to learn about setting up a GPS drone and to satisfy my daughter's need to have aerial transportation for her dolls). At any rate, I'm now thinking it would be nice to put a gimbaled camera on it to shoot some aerial video. Is a GoPro with a separate gimbal still the way to go here, or are there better options now? Any advice here appreciated.

I am planning to fly this (mostly) autonomously, so the gimbal should be something that interfaces well with Arducopter so I can program its movements in the mission plan.

Did you follow the steps on the ardupilot wiki? I've been stuck on this page since August 2021 https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/setting-up-for-tuning.html#setting-up-for-tuning. How do you do it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just went to look at the Mini 3 Pro situation to see if it would make sense to switch from an Air 1 and turns out there's a new, non-pro Mini 3 out: https://store.dji.com/product/dji-mini-3?from=store-nav&vid=128091&set_region=US

Looks a bit weird since it still has those big shoulders where the obstacle sensors are supposed to be, and really I'm not sure it's worth the tradeoff especially if you end up spending more on the controller and fly more kit anyway. And also it's not a new thing but I wish they made a more compact controller again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaSs612X_pg
e: this actually explains the differences from the Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K_LVG3nFKk

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 13, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tetraptous posted:

Thanks, I was definitely getting the impression that everything I was looking at was pretty outdated; now I see why! I have seen some reasonably priced Tarot gimbals; they are for older GoPros, but it seems like you could get a new model on there with a little bit of customization.

https://www.siyi.biz/collections/gimbal-camera

So, there is apparently a newish brand on the market and it has (or will have) Ardupilot support:
https://www.siyi.biz/collections/gimbal-camera

I'm gonna keep an eye on this. It's cheap enough that I'm tempted, even though I barely fly drones anymore.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I feel like this is a lot out of the scope of this thread, but this is the best my drunk rear end can find right now and i'm just hoping y'all can point me to the right thread or in the right direction.

I am x-mas shopping for a couple of 8 year old kids and they just got a new huge empty basement to play in. My mind went straight to those rubber band powered balsa planes I played with decades ago. I'm not sure if there are better brands/models/etc. I'm thinking something not super complicated or expensive so I can get 3 or 4 so there are backup parts for when one inevitably breaks or disappears. My local hobby store is dead and gone and Amazon has too many choices.

Edit: these kids are (no offense I love them for it, I am too) autistic as hell so if there's some sort of neater flying kit I can get 2-3 of for like... under $150ish? i'm all ears. I had the bigger gift planned but let's just say they can build poo poo waaaay more advanced than a balsa plane. #childernofthesolderingiron

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 17, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I haven't yet tried these, but they look cool as hell. You buy the motor and battery kits and the kids can go off and make their own paper airplanes and fly them with a phone.

https://www.poweruptoys.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvh8J0h8mN8

The below sell small paperboard plane kits, would run you a couple of hundred for the kit + transmitter. Between 2 and 3 foot wingspans and up from there.
https://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-tiny-trainer-mkr2/

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 17, 2022

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

nomad2020 posted:

I haven't yet tried these, but they look cool as hell. You buy the motor and battery kits and the kids can go off and make their own paper airplanes and fly them with a phone.

I had one of these and it took exactly one flight before I put it in a tree too high to retrieve.
For all I know its still there to this day

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

This is PERFECT and they sell bundles yes, thank you! I might have to sample the wares myself...

Splode posted:

I had one of these and it took exactly one flight before I put it in a tree too high to retrieve.
For all I know its still there to this day

This is an excellent endorsement.

Edit: should have also mentioned the huge yard surrounded by soy/corn/nothing. I was thinking "inside" but there are places to fly without walls or a ceiling. It's cold outside. I forgot. Whoops.

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 17, 2022

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

You'd need a very big inside area to fly them, I had barely enough room to do circles in a small park.
A giant corn field would be perfect for them though.

For inside flying tinywhoop quadcopters are still the best bet, probably a bit out of budget though

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I don't have any models to suggest, but I had good luck with toy helicopters too. Just be prepared for rotor dents in the ceiling.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I completely forgot about the miles and miles of desolate lawn surrounded by the miles and miles of desolate farmland. Christmas = winter = cold = inside, BUT people who are not me actually go outside and seemingly enjoy it. I forget that sometimes.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

I completely forgot about the miles and miles of desolate lawn surrounded by the miles and miles of desolate farmland. Christmas = winter = cold = inside, BUT people who are not me actually go outside and seemingly enjoy it. I forget that sometimes.

As long as its not so cold that lithium batteries stop cooperating.
Also its RC, if you're clever you can often fly outside while being inside yourself!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dear Santa,

Please see the enclosed image.

A little jealous of the acreage, I don't get far enough out of the city to justify buying something as large as this. ~5ft span
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-grumman-g-44-widgeon-seaplane/

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I love Goons, you can just rock up drunk to some specialty thread at midnight, ask a question, and it doesn't take long to get what is 99% of the time the right answer. I DID NOT EVEN KNOW THIS SUBFORUM EXISTED, I don't even recognize half your usernames lol

Thanks to you all for probably making a couple of kids very happy!

I'll keep this thread in my bookmarks and report back after the holidays and/or before, because this is neat and I have poor impulse control.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

How fast can I lose a cheap RC airplane? I dunno! But I'd really like to find out now that the thought is in my brain.

Edit: there are multiple rubberband/balsa planes in my pond already, just sayin'

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

How fast can I lose a cheap RC airplane? I dunno! But I'd really like to find out now that the thought is in my brain.

Edit: there are multiple rubberband/balsa planes in my pond already, just sayin'

There’s something magical about sending a model plane out and watching it soar to unknown heights and distances as you frantically try to regain control

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

got a new Meteor75 from BetaFPV, and the OSD shows it's drawing 12.5a while idle and disarmed... this can't be normal operation, can it? my 65mm whoop draws 0.3a in the same state.

the VTX does get very hot, and changing the power setting doesn't change the current draw. i can hear a tiny metronome-like ticking from it too, sometimes (no change in power draw when it's not there). Betaflight does also show 50% CPU use.

actually, going now to the motor settings in Betaflight and doing a test spin of the motors, it must be measuring currently incorrectly - it decreases slightly when throttled up to 11.x amps. sigh

edit: googling around i guess the AIO doesn't actually have a current sensor. anyways it's a sweet whoop, i fly very conservative with batteries (charge to 4.2 and discharge to 3.5) and i'm still getting 3.5 minutes of cruising flight time.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 23, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I finally bought a mini 2 from Costco as it was another $100 off and decided to take the plunge. I know the 2 is getting a little older now but the collision detection really isn't a big sell point for me and it was literally 50% of the price of the 3, so I figured I'd save the $$. I haven't flown since the early days of the Phantoms and looking forward to having something small I can take with me.

I *like* the idea of waypoint missions, but I understand the DJI software doesn't allow it although I think Litchi (sp?) does? Is the software otherwise quite comparable? Using a Pixel 6.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

feature-wise, litchi is mostly comparable I believe, but interface-wise they're very different

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Are there other apps to consider or is it really just the DJI app and Litchi?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I haven't been doing a drone thing for years at this point. I have an old Phantom2 Vision+ which was my last one, which unfortunately developed a dead video screen issue (wouldn't transmit video anymore) so after that I just got out of it altogether. But the small <250g drones and their capabilities seems really cool.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
There's also mission planner, but building a drone to use it requires a tiny bit of setup.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bought litchi yesterday, will play around with it and the DJI app.

I've also been thinking of working on my old P2 to see if I can resurrect it. Some guy did all the effort to make a how-to video to fix it (very common problem).
https://youtu.be/xvlk7C4Hk0s
https://sites.google.com/view/phantom-2-wifi-module-fix/home?pli=1

I think I might give it a shot at this point, have nothing to lose and it's basically a new drone that's been flown under a dozen times.

Does anyone know if the current DJI fly app supports their old legacy products too like the P2?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 1, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m pretty sure the older products use the older app. Afaik it’s till in the store and of course if you’re on android you can just get the old APK if not

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

DJI GO 4 has been removed from the play store, and never worked particularly well for me (I always had a hell of a time connecting both the controller and drone at the same time) so I am considering grabbing litchi for that reason alone.

GO 4 having to be side loaded is sus as gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Splode posted:

DJI GO 4 has been removed from the play store, and never worked particularly well for me (I always had a hell of a time connecting both the controller and drone at the same time) so I am considering grabbing litchi for that reason alone.

GO 4 having to be side loaded is sus as gently caress.
I posted about it before but it's literally impossible if you have a corporate locked-down phone that won't let you enable sideloading lol. I was only able to work around that by backing up my old phone to Samsung cloud and restoring the app on the new one. Already had to repeat that dance once when the app required an update to work, and I'd be screwed once I have to return the old phone.

This Phantom might be using different software though, I've no idea.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Can you use litchi for standard operation, or is it only for the fancy mission stuff? I might buy it just so I have an app that reliably works.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I really haven't looked that hard yet, but I don't see any DJI apps on the play store. Even the current one, I had to get it from DJI.

Now that being said looking at their website I cannot find a GO that lists the P2.

Any idea where to grab an old one?

https://www.dji.com/ca/downloads

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any US or non-Chinese manufacturers of DJI accessories? Batteries and stuff? I can't even buy a DJI branded hard plastic case because the feds are worried about chinese spys.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Splode posted:

Can you use litchi for standard operation, or is it only for the fancy mission stuff? I might buy it just so I have an app that reliably works.

I just did the maiden flight with my Mini 2 about an hour ago and I used both the DJI app and Litchi.

Litchi is absolutely usable for regular flying even without waypoints/missions, but it *seems* with my grand total of 5 minutes of experience, maybe a little more clunky.

That said, I'm really impressed with the Mini 2. It seems to be a great little drone and handled some wind gusts I had the ease. Also quite cool today (about 0C) and it was a champ.

I was able to fumble around with Litchi and figured out how to do a waypoint mission in about 10 seconds and just did a super short one to try (under a minute flight time). Litchi does seem to be a little more powerful/flexible from my very short experience with it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lol the list of "Blue" cleared drones from the feds is so lovely.
https://www.diu.mil/blue-uas-cleared-list

Also, is there any value in a separate thread in a different forum I guess for commercial drone stuff?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

lol @ that list. Wonder if the hydrogen fuel cell one is any good.

Big fan of the fixed wing backpack recon drones though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Lol the list of "Blue" cleared drones from the feds is so lovely.
https://www.diu.mil/blue-uas-cleared-list

Also, is there any value in a separate thread in a different forum I guess for commercial drone stuff?

There's so little traffic here that I don't think it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What, and interrupt this stimulating discussion?

There's plenty of interest in heavier drones. It's just safer to discuss sub-250g stuff because you don't accidentally admit to doing something illegal.

Speaking of heavy stuff, the law in Canada states that your 249g mavic mini doesn't need a license, but if you put landing gear on it that takes the weight above the 250g limit, you do.

It seems to me it follows that, if you have a drone with a max takeoff weight of 27kg, but load it up with payload to weighing only 24.99kg, you shouldn't need an SFOC, right?

Also, is anyone else excited about low-risk BVLOS coming for advanced pilots? (According to Don Joyce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKjoSDs8Ttc The thing that was promised for 2022 might actually be coming in 2023. It's almost enough to make me get off my rear end and do a flight review.