Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

First was part was some good goofy poo poo.

"Hi, I'm Buford!"
"And I'm Milton!"
"Welcome to Jackanapes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

Louis Firetails visiting the Hampton Institute around 1899 or 1900. Not much is known about Firetails except that he was sioux.

That's a cool-rear end pic.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wilbur Wright crashing an early glider.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Emperor Taishō in the robes of the Order of the Garter, as a consequence of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance of 1902

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eva Braun in blackface.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
can't believe eva braun has to be cancelled now

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The more I learn about this "Eva Braun" the less I like her.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alhazred posted:

Eva Braun in blackface.

Eva Brown

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Haha

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Literally her name, in German.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zudgemud posted:

Literally her name, in German.

wir sind durch den guckenfenster hier meine kerle

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICm3bewufJI

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Houdini never skipped leg day

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1616141288251822081?t=aCpGvGBlZTffxP3wX2E4uA&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks cold

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:laugh:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You think that's his real package?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Gotta pick those locks with something

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hairy Hou-teeny-weeny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The first tweet, by Constantino Manasses @men, A.D. 1345

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The introduction sequence to The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, ca 2002.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Houdini never skipped leg day

But he always skipped dick day.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The first tweet, by Constantino Manasses @men, A.D. 1345

Loss edits getting out of hand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Reminds me of the guy signing a marriage bann (sic, it means pre-announcement, ie the part where you can object before it goes to church) with a hooked cross/swastika in Amsterdam 1761. Obviously an old symbol, but it still raises an eyebrow even in older sources. The father of his wife to be signs with a simple X:

House marks were common northern Europe before general literacy. Well-off people usually had a signet ring for stamping wax seals, but regular people used drawn house marks. They were sometimes based on name initials but more often just a recognizable symbol/shape. There is some evidence that families/clans would have a mark that was modified over generations, ie every son added a different line so they were recognizably of the same clan but also you could tell who was who. Also they generally used straight lines, so they were easier to carve into wood or brand cattle/pigs, but as you can see below that wasn't always the case.

Below 12 names and accompanying house marks from Sweden 1598 (the shriveled up looking thing is a dried wax seal):

I've always wondered how prevalent faking these were, as it seems obviously easier to fake a symbol than a signature. I guess they were most often used in assemblies (ie things or similar), so there'd be several witnesses to the signing that you could call upon if needed.

By the 1700s, Danish illiterates signed "med ført pen", ie they held the pen while the writer moved it to write their name. Eventually the writer would just write while the signee touched the end of the pen. Universal public schooling came around in 1814 but even before then there'd been a century years of public schools in the crown holdings (roughly half the country give or take) so after a while everyone could at least write their own name.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Feb 10, 2023

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

Below 12 names and accompanying house marks from Sweden 1598 (the shriveled up looking thing is a dried wax seal):

Great year for guys named Nils.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cult_hero posted:

Great year for guys named Nils.

Nils was absolutely a top 5 name in Sweden 1300–1900 or so, and still pretty high up i think. Niclas & Clas were/are also common in Sweden for a while, all of course from Νικόλαος (Nikólaos).

for some reason Denmark had more of the Ἰωάννης (Iōánnēs) kinda vibe (Johannes, Jens, Hans, etc)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how all but one onlooker seems to be gazing at Houdini’s jacked rear end instead of the camera

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like how all but one onlooker seems to be gazing at Houdini’s jacked rear end instead of the camera

Wouldn't you?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

Nils was absolutely a top 5 name in Sweden 1300–1900 or so, and still pretty high up i think. Niclas & Clas were/are also common in Sweden for a while, all of course from Νικόλαος (Nikólaos).

for some reason Denmark had more of the Ἰωάννης (Iōánnēs) kinda vibe (Johannes, Jens, Hans, etc)

Fun fact: In Norway "being a complete Nils" means that you're being a complete moron.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't remember the whole story but Nils Holgersson did begin as total moron.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

By popular demand posted:

He befriended a goose, didn't he? Those things are evil

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: In Norway "being a complete Nils" means that you're being a complete moron.

~pigernes jens~

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

By popular demand posted:

If a norwegian story has a character named Nils in it, then you know he's gonna be the idiot of the story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rappaport posted:

He befriended a goose, didn't he?

Many such cases.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that this fits here better than in the dumb moves in marketing thread, given that the public was sadly more receptive to it a century and a quarter ago.

One dollar in 1899, adjusted for inflation, is thirty‐six dollars today.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
"Bloody Bill" Anderson c. 1864. (I just think he looks like a real mean motherfucker in this pic)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

trapstar posted:

"Bloody Bill" Anderson c. 1864. (I just think he looks like a real mean motherfucker in this pic)

So this guy was pretty much a psychopath.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Alhazred posted:

So this guy was pretty much a psychopath.

Yeah, pretty much. War will make monsters out of men.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

trapstar posted:

Yeah, pretty much. War will make monsters out of men.

Eeh... it's more like war gives opportunity to hidden monsters. No one ever stepped beyond the forced through any force but their own

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

trapstar posted:

Time-travelling Christian Bale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

trapstar posted:

Apart from the belt, he looks like half the guys who get thrown out of the local pub every week-day night.