Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So are Smith + Capaldi rocking up for the 60th as well, or just Tennant?

Or are their scenes still very hush-hush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Capaldi seems very uninterested in returning to Who now that he’s done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
To fair, modern BF is regularly very very crap and that's usually what he seems to be referring to.

Wasn't there also some sort of leak, ages ago, implying that BBC execs thought he was "too old" for the role and that was hurting merchandising/the show's popularity among young people?

I mean, arguably not wrong, but it speaks to a level of disrespect (and cult of number bullshit) that would turn me off the role.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 18, 2022

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I feel like Matt Smith will show up for a thing. He's just been sporting perfect Doctor (and I guess his own) hair for a while in the press.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yannick_B posted:

I feel like Matt Smith will show up for a thing. He's just been sporting perfect Doctor (and I guess his own) hair for a while in the press.

I imagine he's been sporting whatever hair makes for the easiest to attach that House of the Dragon wig to.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Infinitum posted:

So are Smith + Capaldi rocking up for the 60th as well, or just Tennant?

Or are their scenes still very hush-hush?

reading between the lines Capaldi leaving wasn't his choice, so doubt he'll be back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Capaldi probably would have stayed on as long as Moffat was around.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JoylessJester posted:

reading between the lines Capaldi leaving wasn't his choice, so doubt he'll be back.

Where are you getting that? Capaldi suffered a really gnarly knee injury during the filming of season 9 and he was done with the ten-month shooting schedule, which is why he decided season 10 would be his last. He had to be talked into doing Twice Upon a Time and did so as a favor to Moffat.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

GET HYPE

New TARDIS interior has leaked!!

:swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEpDc2obf9k

I like it. First classic white interior in a permanent TARDIS since the 80s. He doesn't mention what to me is the obvious: the two level bowl most reminds me of Matt Smith's copper console room, which I loved and think gets a bad rap undeservededly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the round things!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What are the round things?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
No idea…

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL at dis guy thinking Mr. "I don't want to go" is gonna go out unconscious...

:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbkeB35X3NA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

LOL at dis guy thinking Mr. "I don't want to go" is gonna go out unconscious...

:laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbkeB35X3NA

that like has gone on to be so hated that there's now way RTD won't have him go out all "i'm ready to go now" or something

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

that like has gone on to be so hated that there's now way RTD won't have him go out all "i'm ready to go now" or something

But it will still be drawn out and maudlin.

Vale Quattuordecim

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Has it really been hated? This is the only place where I've seen people reacting negatively to it.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
The Costume is revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq39bLagWSI

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Has it really been hated? This is the only place where I've seen people reacting negatively to it.

I still really like it, and don’t understand the hatred it gets around here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They lampoon it in the 50th anniversary so maybe not “hate” but it must have generated some feedback for them to call it out so specifically

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

They lampoon it in the 50th anniversary so maybe not “hate” but it must have generated some feedback for them to call it out so specifically

I always took that as a jokey way to have Moffat not change Tennant’s last words as the Doctor even though he “brought him back”, which is almost showing it a certain reverence, if anything.

Of course, RTD can do whatever he wants, since he wrote the words in the first place.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like it! Very...orange. The contrasting patterns are cool too.

thrawn527 posted:

I still really like it, and don’t understand the hatred it gets around here.

Yeah, it's fun to mock it a bit, but to this day I will get emotional over that whole part with him staggering through the snow, the Ood, and Vale Decem.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
By the time he says the line, Tennant had definitely worn out his welcome. Even just within that one special, I was more than ready to see him leave when he dropped that last stinker of a line.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I go back and forth on if I like the line, but it very much fit his Doctor. Most of the time the Doctor accepts regeneration gracefully, but 10 actively talked about seeing it as death.

Despite the people who dislike it, there are plenty who love it and get very emotional over it. Went to the Doctor Who orchestral concert thing a decade back, and there were a bunch of audience members openly crying at that scene playing out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It can't have been that badly received, they called back to it when Capaldi's time came. He even went a step further and refused to regenerate for an entire episode

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senor Tron posted:

I go back and forth on if I like the line, but it very much fit his Doctor. Most of the time the Doctor accepts regeneration gracefully, but 10 actively talked about seeing it as death.

Despite the people who dislike it, there are plenty who love it and get very emotional over it. Went to the Doctor Who orchestral concert thing a decade back, and there were a bunch of audience members openly crying at that scene playing out.

I liked Tennant's last line, because other than Two (who was basically being executed), Six (who, along with Mel, was unconscious at the time), and Seven (who was being murdered operated on in the ER), all the other regenerations were about the Doctor trying to reassure the companions who were with him that everything was going to be all right ("A tear, Sarah Jane?", "It's the end, but the moment has been prepared for.") This was him, alone, and it felt like we really got to see what his feelings towards regeneration were. And he didn't want to do it. It's not comforting to him to change. To become a new person. To him, it's not all right. He's going away, and he's never coming back. And it's the last thing he ever wants.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope those are really his new threads because I'm here for it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

It can't have been that badly received, they called back to it when Capaldi's time came. He even went a step further and refused to regenerate for an entire episode

Yeah but when Twelve was screaming about how it wasn't fair he was right, he'd only had one season's worth of good episodes total

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dabir posted:

Yeah but when Twelve was screaming about how it wasn't fair he was right, he'd only had one season's worth of good episodes total

I'd go to bat for no less than 22 of Capaldi's episodes as being wins above replacement-to-spectacular.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

He's going away, and he's never coming back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd go to bat for no less than 22 of Capaldi's episodes as being wins above replacement-to-spectacular.

Man had an absolute all time banger in his run, not all Doctors get to say that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shades of the Fearmonger here:

https://twitter.com/gullick/status/1610255697941336074

https://twitter.com/tardis_central/status/1610287978320101376

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Real Mr Saxon vibes right there, it's as if RTD never left.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Frontios or Twin Dilemma sequel??

https://twitter.com/tardis_central/status/1610669082441035778

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's the slug alien that Ricky Gervais played on the fake Tennant episode from Extras.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Moffat thought he was The Man bringing back the Zygons, but Tractators is Next Level.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Capaldi never got his Chumblies. :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Capaldi never got his Chumblies. :smith:

He's been camped outside the BF offices for years

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SLUG

https://twitter.com/mrunknownfc1/status/1611485694509174848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

OM NOM NOM NOM

https://twitter.com/chrismckinon01/status/1612430873839931394

And Kate’s back! Already having lunch with the companion, too 🤔
https://twitter.com/set_dw/status/1612421856224493569

https://twitter.com/set_dw/status/1612479453585711107