Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think there's a lot of potential for it in the Global South as far as being able to sidestep a lot of the issues with hardware availability and affordability in such regions, but at the same time those are also the places where you run into issues with setting up the data centers with a reputable provider, and how to get un-banked people to pay for a subscription service.

we'll just require a few itunes gift cards to pay your bill and resume your service, nya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inept posted:

You can oversubscribe gamers a lot more than compute because most of them will pay $20 a month and use a couple of hours, or forget they're paying for it. Gym membership philosophy.

Thanks for reminding me to end my Ubisoft+ subscription.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wondering here how much Steam makes on gift cards that are only bought for scammers

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
microcenter here has a new pile of both zotac 4080 and 4090s this morning but im betting even those will be gone by the end of the day

tempted by the 4090 upsell.. but its zotac

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thats not candy posted:

microcenter here has a new pile of both zotac 4080 and 4090s this morning but im betting even those will be gone by the end of the day

Get the Zotac. It's good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

thats not candy posted:

Zotac are fine :shrug:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Charles Leclerc posted:

Zotac are fine :shrug:

They do that lovely thing where you have to register your product within 30 days to get the full warranty, banking on a lot of people forgetting to. Seems extra stupid on a $1600+ product.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
No complaints about the Zotac card, it’s big but runs cooler and quieter than my EVGA 3080 hybrid did.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Inept posted:

They do that lovely thing where you have to register your product within 30 days to get the full warranty, banking on a lot of people forgetting to. Seems extra stupid on a $1600+ product.

I definitely did not do that with my 3080, but then I put a waterblock on it as soon as I got it out of the box so I'm sure they'd have weaseled out of it anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Does it make a difference if I use a 12 to 2x8pin or an 8 to 2x8pin cable? I ordered a 3080 that needs 3x8 and have an ATX 3.0 PSU and I only have two free 8pin slots. Would the logic change for something hungrier that's 3x8?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Does it make a difference if I use a 12 to 2x8pin or an 8 to 2x8pin cable? I ordered a 3080 that needs 3x8 and have an ATX 3.0 PSU and I only have two free 8pin slots. Would the logic change for something hungrier that's 3x8?

Any of the cables that came with your power supply should be safe to use, and there is no difference in functionality between any cables with PCIe power connectors.

If you're talking about using aftermarket adapters attached to the end of your PSU cables, I would not use any of those.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Any of the cables that came with your power supply should be safe to use, and there is no difference in functionality between any cables with PCIe power connectors.

If you're talking about using aftermarket adapters attached to the end of your PSU cables, I would not use any of those.

Yeah, I figured either was fine, but was curious. The 12 pin actually splits at the base instead of being daisy-chained, so I figure I'll use that one.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

2 gaming buddies and my brother have 4090 Zotacs, they deliver a amazingly as all other 4090 cards, it’s the same chip anyway.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My last two GPUs were mini-length Zotacs, a 1060 and a 2060S, and both were great.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I installed a Virtual Monitor Adapter: https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3030

Which lets me stream from my RTX 3080 desktop to my laptop, without needing to use the headless HDMI dongle I was using (which among other things was running GigaHot in the HDMI port of the 3080, like skin burning hot for years on end).

Like the headless HDMI dongle, the PC is letting me set the host resolution to 3840x2160 @ 60hz, but Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) won't let me go up to 120hz. NVidia Control Panel won't let me set custom resolutions on it at all, it doesn't consider it to be a monitor.

Any ideas on how I could force 4k 120hz?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Echophonic posted:

My last two GPUs were mini-length Zotacs, a 1060 and a 2060S, and both were great.

Pretty sure my 1060 6GB was a Zotac, and it's still doing fine.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have a Thread Approved link for good instructions on undervolting a card? 3080 if it matters.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lackmaster posted:

Anyone have a Thread Approved link for good instructions on undervolting a card? 3080 if it matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

This is the one that gets shared around a lot.

You can also look into power limiting, which I ended up doing. I did a 77% power limit for my 3070 (170W instead of 220W default) and both Cyberpunk 2077 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided's ingame benchmarks showed a difference of about 2-3FPS. Not scientific testing but power limiting ended up being the better option for me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

gamestream works terribly with third party software like moonlight, and steam link is literally some of the worst i've had to deal with, both on the first-party device, but also on apple tv

man it sucks how hard it is to stream stuff to your tv from your computer. at this point, you have to buy a dedicated nuc for parsec

With enough tinkering GameStream + Moonlight can be completely flawless. I use it for something like 14 hours a day lol; I have a desktop with no monitor and do 100% of my work/games by beaming it to a 4K OLED laptop on my couch.

Now that Nvidia is basically dropping all GameStream support, people are freaking the gently caress out and rushing to try to use "Sunshine" instead which is an open source thing that makes ffmpeg encode with NVEnc but as of right now it's just not as good as GameStream and has a bunch of bugs in addition to having serious "year of Linux on the desktop" vibes with regards to being a bunch of command lines with a local web UI. I hope it gets better but for now I'll have to use GameStream until the last nuts and bolts fall out of it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah moonlight + gamestream is awesome for local game streaming
if you have it wired up on both ends, stream quality and latency is indistinguishable from playing on the box

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Let's say my biggest ambitions at the moment are Baldur's Gate 3 at 1440p 60 Hz, what's the decent value card? Still 3060 Ti? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Turds in magma posted:

Let's say my biggest ambitions at the moment are Baldur's Gate 3 at 1440p 60 Hz, what's the decent value card? Still 3060 Ti? I've been out of the loop for a while.

That’ll be more than enough.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Turds in magma posted:

I was reading up on whether my laptop could play it the other day and apparently it still runs well on a 1060 at 1080p, seems to be very well optimised.

A 3060ti at 1440p would give you some nice headroom I would imagine, I wouldnt go much lower than that simply for longevity.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

RGX posted:

I was reading up on whether my laptop could play it the other day and apparently it still runs well on a 1060 at 1080p, seems to be very well optimised.

A 3060ti at 1440p would give you some nice headroom I would imagine, I wouldnt go much lower than that simply for longevity.

Are there AMD cards now that are better performance at the ~400 dollar point?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The RX6600XT would be roughly comparable, you might also be able to get a RX6700/XT for $400 if you're lucky. The usual AMD card caveats go there obviously, though if Balder's Gate 3 is your main focus I'd guess you're not too concerned about ray tracing.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So I finally got around to fitting the 12 pin adapter that seasonic sent me for my 3080 ti, which is much nicer than having the splitter and two pcie cables. But I forgot I’ve got two of these splitters because my first card ended up getting rma’ed by nvidia.

I thought I’d do a stress test just to make sure everything was working fine so I did the port royal one in 3Dmark. But I noticed that the memory temp was hovering around 98/100 while doing this. Wasn’t there some sort of mod for the FE cards that bought the memory temps down?

I’m not worried at the moment as the card really isn’t getting stressed in it’s regular use atm as I was going to buy one of those fancy 120hz 4k tv’s. But then my Dad told me he’s upgrading his current TV so I’ll just settle for a 4K 60 handmedown instead, but at the moment I’m still running my pc off a 1080p tv lol.

Also I’ve just mainly been playing my switch which makes me question why i’ve got a multi grand pc mostly just to play ETS2 on.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Amazon Warehouse has some MSI 4090s just fyi

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG959RCF?tag=nerdspeak-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&aod=1

Amazon return policy is great so no real risk as long as you're comfortable with the price point.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Turds in magma posted:

A 3060 ti will absolutely crush it at 1440p.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
So I grabbed a 3060 Ti from my local Best Buy - wasn't open box or anything.

I tried swapping it directly into my computer just now (I had a 1030 in there because I had spilled beer on my 970...) and the fans spin up but the monitor won't turn on (neither with display port or HDMI)

Is there any obvious reason this would happen? PSU is a relatively new 520 W Seagate

It's an older Asus p8z77 but I don't think that should matter?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I can’t speak to specifics and someone will have a better answer: but I have to some weird restart/display port switching I have to do in order to get video to display sometimes if a new card is seated.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turds in magma posted:

So I grabbed a 3060 Ti from my local Best Buy - wasn't open box or anything.

I tried swapping it directly into my computer just now (I had a 1030 in there because I had spilled beer on my 970...) and the fans spin up but the monitor won't turn on (neither with display port or HDMI)

Is there any obvious reason this would happen? PSU is a relatively new 520 W Seagate

It's an older Asus p8z77 but I don't think that should matter?

Your 1030 was probably slot powered, did you plug an 8 pin power cord into your 3060ti?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Your 1030 was probably slot powered, did you plug an 8 pin power cord into your 3060ti?

Excellent question but yes - a 6+2 connector that at least makes the fans run

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Turds in magma posted:

Excellent question but yes - a 6+2 connector that at least makes the fans run

Is it a bad idea to try to boot with both the old and the new card installed at the same time?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
As long as you have another slot which will fit the 1030 then it shouldn't damage anything to try.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

As long as you have another slot which will fit the 1030 then it shouldn't damage anything to try.

That caused it to reboot endlessly

I used DDU in safe mode to get rid of everything - still the monitor won't come on (fans still spin up)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does your motherboard have a compatible video out port you can try to use to get signal?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Picked up an unclaimed store pickup 4080 FE (Yes, I know shut up.) from Best Buy with a 10% off coupon yesterday. It made me very glad that Fractal makes drat good cases because I had to do more than I thought to be able to get the cables routed semi-sanely in the Meshify C. Definitely picking up a Cablemod 16 pin cable. But hey it works and destroys Port Royal. Good enough.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

Arrath posted:

Does your motherboard have a compatible video out port you can try to use to get signal?

Good point, yes, just enabled it. Booted with the card also installed and it shows up as "Microsoft basic display adapter". Try to run a driver update from there and I get a BSOD....

Edit: is nvlddmkm.sys that has the problem. I load in safe mode and I can install the driver and it says it's a 3060 Ti. But as soon as I normal-boot I get a generic BSOD

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 18, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Turds in magma posted:

Good point, yes, just enabled it. Booted with the card also installed and it shows up as "Microsoft basic display adapter". Try to run a driver update from there and I get a BSOD....

Edit: is nvlddmkm.sys that has the problem. I load in safe mode and I can install the driver and it says it's a 3060 Ti. But as soon as I normal-boot I get a generic BSOD

I'm not sure, but I'd check any PCIe settings on the motherboard. See if there are any settings that are supposed to speed it up (and set them to the opposite of what they are now), set it manually to PCIe 3.0, things like that.

Were you running anything like Afterburner or some other application that could be interacting with the video card? The fact it seems to behave normally in safe mode suggests there could be a software conflict, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure, but I'd check any PCIe settings on the motherboard. See if there are any settings that are supposed to speed it up (and set them to the opposite of what they are now), set it manually to PCIe 3.0, things like that.

Were you running anything like Afterburner or some other application that could be interacting with the video card? The fact it seems to behave normally in safe mode suggests there could be a software conflict, too.

No afterburner, no. And by "normally" in safe mode I just mean that I can install the driver. It still won't send a signal to a monitor