Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Not to be a party pooper but I was under the impression that large displacement 4s have balance issues and I've never seen one that big before. Wouldn't this thing have crazy vibration problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For an OE application where NVH is a huge part of the engineering effort, sure.

For an E30 with solid motor mounts, a cage, and no interior or sound deadening, lol no it’s fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BlackMK4 posted:

Exclusive First Look! 340-HP 3.6-Liter Four-Cylinder LS-Headed Crate Engine

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/blueprint-engines-four-cylinder-crate-engine-ls-head

quote:

Blueprint also stated that the block will be able to accept a Ford Windsor head as well.
:wtc:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Not to be a party pooper but I was under the impression that large displacement 4s have balance issues and I've never seen one that big before. Wouldn't this thing have crazy vibration problems?

Mistubishi solved that problem in the 80s with balance shafts.

(Which Porsche stole for the 944, which was half of the V8 out of the 928 - they were sued and lost and had to pay Mitsu)

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

slidebite posted:

quote:

Blueprint also stated that the block will be able to accept a Ford Windsor head as well.
:wtc:

I wonder if you have to run the ls head with exhaust on the left, intake on the right, or if that will be able to be swapped as well since they can put an entirely different head on it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

New to me but 8 years old, the 12-rotor: https://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-exotic-12-rotor-rotary-engine-ready-for-dyno/. They reckon it can make 5,000hp and rev up to 14k RPM lmao

Apparently they kinda forgot about it for a while working on a diesel variant for military use, but dug it back out in 2021 and delivered it to a high end rotary shop, according to their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/12rotor/posts/pfbid02PZWsPTroDsPc7jJNeKVMtpp3QyVv9JayGeuvVKkLQv7cs1U67e1GzrX713yMjrA6l

Large Testicles posted:

not nearly as cool, but here's the first fire up of a 4 rotor NA with straight pipes, should be timestamped right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBKoA-bRafg&t=2482s

Jesus.
I like rotaries, but personally I think they sound kinda like rear end when straight-piped. Just a *little* bit of muffling to cut the highs needed.
unless it's a race car, of course. Nothing can top the ethereal wail of the 787B.

BlackMK4 posted:

Exclusive First Look! 340-HP 3.6-Liter Four-Cylinder LS-Headed Crate Engine

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/blueprint-engines-four-cylinder-crate-engine-ls-head

Well that's pretty neat.
Wonder if it'll fit in the AE86... no, no, no I'm not keeping it!

PainterofCrap posted:

That might fit easily into my ‘65 Econoline pickup!

Not sure what I’d do with the extra 230 ponies though

OK, same vein, but sillier: Previa.
Of course, I want to put a 1UZ in the middle of one of those...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Godholio posted:

In NA trim it makes more power than the turbocharged 2.3, and weighs about 60% as much. Throw in the LS aftermarket, and it's one hell of a package. I'm really curious where they price it, because the 2.3 starts around $7k from Ford Performance, which isn't bad.

That size and weight could plug it into a lot of vehicles where it's a pain in the rear end to fit a full-size LS.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I saw that half-LS on a Motor Trend website a few days ago, and the article right below that one was:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/hemi-ls-yes-real-kicks-rear end/

3.5L hemi-headed turbo 4 cylinder sounds like fun. EXPENSIVE fun, but still fun.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Mistubishi solved that problem in the 80s with balance shafts.

(Which Porsche stole for the 944, which was half of the V8 out of the 928 - they were sued and lost and had to pay Mitsu)

Toyota put balance shaft assemblies on the 2.5 5sfe back in the 90s. But you know it's expensive and added 50lbs or so.

But if this engines purpose is for race cars, generators, or tractors, who cares about smoothness.

Also curious about if you have to use the left or right head or either to match the existing engine bay layout.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Removing the balance shafts in a race car motor leads to vibration issues like sheared bolts and failed electronics, don't ask how I know

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
You fools, you don't need a balance shaft, just bolt a second I4 LS along side the first but 180 out of phase and they'll cancel each other out!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Removing the balance shafts in a race car motor leads to vibration issues like sheared bolts and failed electronics, don't ask how I know

You've gotta punch through the RPM ranges with the worst of the harmonics faster :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Motronic posted:

You've gotta punch through the RPM ranges with the worst of the harmonics faster :)

Add power, I like this idea ;)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

You fools, you don't need a balance shaft, just bolt a second I4 LS along side the first but 180 out of phase and they'll cancel each other out!

OK, I'm on board with this, but hear me out: what if we joined the two 4s together on one crank in a "V"?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Darchangel posted:

OK, I'm on board with this, but hear me out: what if we joined the two 4s together on one crank in a "V"?

heretic! this way lies madness!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Godholio posted:

In NA trim it makes more power than the turbocharged 2.3, and weighs about 60% as much. Throw in the LS aftermarket, and it's one hell of a package. I'm really curious where they price it, because the 2.3 starts around $7k from Ford Performance, which isn't bad.

Yeah I didn't catch that the power given was NA, but still. I guess I'd have to see final specs and price to judge it better but I guess I could see this going into an old, small truck or Jeep where you have/want a combination of small space, high torque, and old school looks. It's best assets are definitely it's small size and ability to accept any regular rear end trans.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was not a big fan of the DS until now, gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for a gray one like this with the black roof. I think that rear sun shade is rather rare (but OEM) as well

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

I was not a big fan of the DS until now, gonna have to keep my eyes peeled for a gray one like this with the black roof. I think that rear sun shade is rather rare (but OEM) as well

DS, in particolar the Maserati powered SM, are getting a lot of interest for electric conversion since the engine is a hefty beast (which leave a lot of room for system ancillaries and batteries). The biggest complication is getting the hydroneumatic suspension to work when there is no engine hydraulic system.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The DS is prettier than the SM though, and unlike the DS the SM didn't leave the factory with an underwhelming engine even for its time. Or so I've read. An electric DS is pretty much my dream car. I've never even ridden in one but I'm pretty sure I would like to float around in a beautiful silent hydropneumatically suspended 1950's spaceship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyyHqhAeuF4

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Invalido posted:

The DS is prettier than the SM though, and unlike the DS the SM didn't leave the factory with an underwhelming engine even for its time. Or so I've read. An electric DS is pretty much my dream car. I've never even ridden in one but I'm pretty sure I would like to float around in a beautiful silent hydropneumatically suspended 1950's spaceship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyyHqhAeuF4

DS engine is as anemic as the V6 in the SM, it's just a far lighter car.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Watch out for bombs under that poo poo.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When I lived in France in the 70s I saw those rear-window blinds in DSs.

Might be my next project, if I can find one…preferably a Break (wagon) variant.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The DS had several engines, it launched with the (slightly updated) 59 57hp 1.9L out of the 1930s era Traction Avant, looks like 5+ years after initial launch, the DS21 and DS23 (2.1L and 2.3L) were big upgrades, 109 and 141hp. The inline 6 they put in the Traction Avant had over 100 ft-lbs torque which apparently made a big difference in drivability. Also jumping from a poorly geared 3 speed, to a 4 speed helps a LOT apparently; used to be popular to retrofit the 4 speed from the DS into earlier Traction Avants. The little 1.9L will push a car around in modern traffic safely, but just barely and you're revving the tits off it to do it (@ an eye watering 3800 rpm)

Edit: electric conversion for these cars is a great idea as there's nothing special about the engines themselves, they're glorified ohv lawn mower engines, and plenty (10s if not 100s of thousandas) of examples around. They quoted ~27kw battery in front engine baya nd 26kw rear where the fuel tank is, giving you ~80 miles range which is pretty good imo, just drive it around in 2nd gear all day long

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 22, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The DS had several engines, it launched with the (slightly updated) 59 57hp 1.9L out of the 1930s era Traction Avant, looks like 5+ years after initial launch, the DS21 and DS23 (2.1L and 2.3L) were big upgrades, 109 and 141hp. The inline 6 they put in the Traction Avant had over 100 ft-lbs torque which apparently made a big difference in drivability. Also jumping from a poorly geared 3 speed, to a 4 speed helps a LOT apparently; used to be popular to retrofit the 4 speed from the DS into earlier Traction Avants. The little 1.9L will push a car around in modern traffic safely, but just barely and you're revving the tits off it to do it (@ an eye watering 3800 rpm)

Edit: electric conversion for these cars is a great idea as there's nothing special about the engines themselves, they're glorified ohv lawn mower engines, and plenty (10s if not 100s of thousandas) of examples around. They quoted ~27kw battery in front engine baya nd 26kw rear where the fuel tank is, giving you ~80 miles range which is pretty good imo, just drive it around in 2nd gear all day long

I thought he said he got 151 miles out of it, but that may be just pootling around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hadlock posted:

They quoted ~27kw battery in front engine baya nd 26kw rear where the fuel tank is, giving you ~80 miles range which is pretty good imo, just drive it around in 2nd gear all day long

Something is off with those values. Stellantis eCMP vehicles have 50KWh batteries and 350+ km ranges with a shitload more weight, just 80km seems a bit too low.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Something is off with those values. Stellantis eCMP vehicles have 50KWh batteries and 350+ km ranges with a shitload more weight, just 80km seems a bit too low.

6:45 of the video: "we said to the chap who owns the car that we would make sure it would do 150 miles...well I actually did 151.279"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Must be 150 miles then. For a car like that, is plenty that would mean you're charging it less than 10 times a year for most owners.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That made me wonder, has anyone ever built a motorhome that actually drives and handles reasonably well? Like, as well as an average CUV for example? Obviously there's those old GM motorhomes which are supposedly not terrible, but surely with modern tech and a big budget someone could build the on-road equivalent of those $300k off-road motorhomes and actually make it decent to drive.

Ferrari has built so many carbon-bodied sports cars that it is no longer impressive.

Ferrari, I'm calling you out. Build a all-carbon fiber RV. Apply F1 technology to a toilet and a miniature oven. Use an electric drivetrain or a flat-12 or whatever to keep the CoG low.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

PBCrunch posted:

Apply F1 technology to a toilet and a miniature oven.

https://www.carbonfibre-toilets.com/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

I wonder if you have to run the ls head with exhaust on the left, intake on the right, or if that will be able to be swapped as well since they can put an entirely different head on it.

You need the head to line up with the pushrods and the cam, so it'll only go on one way. Windsor and LS heads are remarkably similar when it comes to how they bolt to the block so I'm not the least bit surprised that Blueprint is capable of making tweaks to set it up for one head or the other, or possibly even either head on the same block.

Majere posted:

Also curious about if you have to use the left or right head or either to match the existing engine bay layout.

With pushrod V8 heads, there's no left or right head - they're identical side to side. And just about every pushrod V8 I can think of is set up for the pushrods to come up through the head on the intake side of the head.

Ignoring the problem of getting a non-production engine through emissions, I really like this engine as an option for replacing a Jeep 4.0. Yes, you can fit an LS in those, but it requires dragging the rest of the drivetrain forward so that you have enough room for the heads to clear the firewall. This could easily bolt up to the stock transmission in the stock location.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

Ferrari, I'm calling you out. Build a all-carbon fiber RV.

Already a thing courtesy of Earthroamer.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That's only a carbon camper body on a traditional steel frame though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I hope CSB wins the lottery and buys an Unimog camper.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd kill a mog.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Prove it. :colbert:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
He would cause it to fail in the most MERCEDES way.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The wire insulation believing it's in a landfill already?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

You need the head to line up with the pushrods and the cam, so it'll only go on one way. Windsor and LS heads are remarkably similar when it comes to how they bolt to the block so I'm not the least bit surprised that Blueprint is capable of making tweaks to set it up for one head or the other, or possibly even either head on the same block.

With pushrod V8 heads, there's no left or right head - they're identical side to side. And just about every pushrod V8 I can think of is set up for the pushrods to come up through the head on the intake side of the head.

Ignoring the problem of getting a non-production engine through emissions, I really like this engine as an option for replacing a Jeep 4.0. Yes, you can fit an LS in those, but it requires dragging the rest of the drivetrain forward so that you have enough room for the heads to clear the firewall. This could easily bolt up to the stock transmission in the stock location.

Wonder if it would be possible to take a stock LS/vortec ecu and disable four of the coils/injectors in HPtuners or something like that, since the head is an LS head and presumably some of the other sensors would be chevy parts as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

Wonder if it would be possible to take a stock LS/vortec ecu and disable four of the coils/injectors in HPtuners or something like that, since the head is an LS head and presumably some of the other sensors would be chevy parts as well.

Not feasible as far as I know, the common LS ECUs were only configured for operation on 6 or 8 cylinder engines. Other GM ECUs could theoretically work.

Edit: Found at least one person who claims to have done it in an ancient EFILive post. But at any rate there's probably no shortage of ways to make that work, though I suspect Blueprint is only going to support some form of standalone that doesn't pretend to be OBD2 compliant.

But, the only sensors that are going to exist in a combination of "critical to the ECM" and "can't be easily swapped" are the crank and cam position sensors, and those are going to be mounted to the block reading the trigger wheel on the crank and whatever cam sensor they seem to have stuck in the side of the block there (looks very similar to the drop-in "not a distributor" that late 4.0 Jeeps use). The only sensor mounted to the head is coolant temperature and that just threads into the water jacket so physically adapt whatever sensor you need.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

"I'm gonna drop some weight"