Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxyclean posted:

I guess it just feels a bit funny when there is also paranormal stuff that is explicitly not stands, but that's also actually pretty cool. All sorts of wild and weird mystical and magical stuff happening.

The big question is "is that actually true?" And I think the answer might be "no". Stands are an expression of human potential, but Stand is literally written as "ghostly ripple", and is in a sense the "same thing" as Hamon. The Stone Mask unlocks the biological potential of humans (and Pillar Men)... is Vampirism also a stand? Heavy Weather works the same way as the stone mask, inducing biological change through mental manipulation.

And we know that objects and even locations, like the Anubis sword and Superfly tower, can be or have stands. So is the alley in Morioh a stand? Is the millionaire village in Thus Spoke? It's hard to definitively say "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

maybe the guy who got Cheap Trick was just generally a nervous and paranoid person before he got hit by the arrow

Technically so was Diavolo and he got 2 stands that made him invincible. That's one hell of a coin flip.

Though that guy's also an example of an out-of-control Stand since iirc he didn't even know it was there beyond a vague feeling that he'd die if someone saw his back. I guess he was in a weird middle zone where he had enough willpower to kind of manifest a Stand but not enough to control it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

The big question is "is that actually true?" And I think the answer might be "no". Stands are an expression of human potential, but Stand is literally written as "ghostly ripple", and is in a sense the "same thing" as Hamon. The Stone Mask unlocks the biological potential of humans (and Pillar Men)... is Vampirism also a stand? Heavy Weather works the same way as the stone mask, inducing biological change through mental manipulation.

And we know that objects and even locations, like the Anubis sword and Superfly tower, can be or have stands. So is the alley in Morioh a stand? Is the millionaire village in Thus Spoke? It's hard to definitively say "no".

It's less fun if vampires and ghosts and aliens are stands, therefore they aren't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You tell me you have t seen a building with awesome and foreboding killing intent and I'll call you a liar.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

DoctorWhat posted:

I haven't gotten to it yet but the live-action Rohan Kishibe series (written by Yasuko Kobayashi who also wrote all the anime scripts and several examples of top-shelf tokusatsu) adapts Cheap Trick at some point.

Having watched that episode, here's what I think (don't read it you haven't watched it yet):

The live-action adaptation doesn't reference stands at all--Heaven's Door is just a power that Rohan and the reason is never explained. The show wisely decided to portray Cheap Trick as a type of general curse à la The Ring or The Grudge, but it stumbles because the alley that drags you to hell is introduced in the very same episode, so the story is a bit bloated and the climax feels like a bit of an rear end pull.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

You tell me you have t seen a building with awesome and foreboding killing intent and I'll call you a liar.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

giorno could have stopped Pucci

Maybe, maybe. But you know who could have 100% stopped him dead in his tracks? Tamami. He just needs to hear the story about Weather and Perla and it's over for Poochy

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 26, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

War and Pieces posted:

Me after getting the policed called on me:

"You see officer, I communicate my burning passions through my fists"

Officer Domon Kasshu: "ah, say no more"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone leaked character art of the part 7 protagonist, and folks, the Netflix molecules aren't doing it any favors

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Someone leaked character art of the part 7 protagonist, and folks, the Netflix molecules aren't doing it any favors

please ban this filth

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/BREADSWORD/status/1606827089013145600

e: Magnum? I believe you mean... 「Blue Steel Requiem」

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 27, 2022

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FilthyImp posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stone Ocean is such a trip. We've come such a long way from Stardust Crusaders. Joylne's fourth or fifth fight, depending on if you count Johngalli A. and Whitesnake as one or two fights, has- Poster Supersonic Shine is just now watching so I have spoiler tagged some events of episodes 10 and 11 to not spoil it for them if they happen to be reading the thread regularly- zero gravity cloud suits and her blood being sucked away via vaccum. Remember Jotaro's fifth fight? It was hungry yellow shapeshifting slime. Kakyoin took over for Tower of Gray so I'm not counting that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

remember that time Joseph nearly died from jumping over a fence, stardust crusaders rules

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I remember that time a mirror reflection stand loving jumped into a kid’s loving eye. MVP

Also remember that time Jotaro bluffed so hard he gave his opponent a panic attack and won?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Hey remember that time Narancia loved life a lot and then died by landing on a fence

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bisse posted:

Also remember that time Jotaro bluffed so hard he gave his opponent a panic attack and won?

https://streamable.com/4yk5dl

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bisse posted:

Hey remember that time Narancia loved life a lot and then died by landing on a fence

He was just two days from retirement too :negative:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bisse posted:

“gently caress it this guy's too good at cheating, i'm not even going to bother figuring him out and just gonna bluff him to death” remains the single most inspired solution to any JoJo conflict

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bisse posted:

a modern Robespierre

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

“gently caress it this guy's too good at cheating, i'm not even going to bother figuring him out and just gonna bluff him to death” remains the single most inspired solution to any JoJo conflict

it's funny because there's basically some real life poker that feels not unlike that episode. Just total shenanigan of someone winning without even looking at their cards for multiple hands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe how much Araki made me value zippers as a power. Bruno is so cool.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
His zipper power sounds lame but the way he uses it immediately makes it cool. Then you see him as a kid using a knife to unzip out of a mattress and then unzip a couple throats, and it's suddenly perfect

This happens a few times with the stands in part 5, my other favorite example is abbacchio

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bruno is absolutely like, the quintessential Jojo Stand

It has a very basic, well-defined power set-- "create zippers on things"

And Araki explores and uses that to its fullest extent. He never really expands on what the primary power is, just uses it in increasingly creative and interesting ways.

Contrast to something like Gold Experience, where it's "oh yeah he reflects damage" "oh yeah he's a healer now" "turns cars into frogs"
Or even Star Finger

Jolyne is fairly consistent in using her powerset, though it never hits the highs that Sticky Fingers does
Part 7 and Part 8 feel kinda ill-defined

Sticky Fingers is really just

S+ tier stand

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sticky Fingers also has an excellent design

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Of course it's a good stand, the main character of that part uses it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sockser posted:

Bruno is absolutely like, the quintessential Jojo Stand

It has a very basic, well-defined power set-- "create zippers on things"

And Araki explores and uses that to its fullest extent. He never really expands on what the primary power is, just uses it in increasingly creative and interesting ways.

Contrast to something like Gold Experience, where it's "oh yeah he reflects damage" "oh yeah he's a healer now" "turns cars into frogs"
Or even Star Finger

Jolyne is fairly consistent in using her powerset, though it never hits the highs that Sticky Fingers does
Part 7 and Part 8 feel kinda ill-defined

Sticky Fingers is really just

S+ tier stand

It does play a little loose with depth, i.e how "far" he can go into an unzipped thing, also sometimes the things he unzips can just be moved through and sometimes they create portals to the zipper dimension.

That said it's easily one of the coolest and most creatively-used stands in the series, and it never really strays from it's basic concept unlike GE's "invents a new power almost every fight" thing. That weird zipper guillotine he tried against Secco was rad as hell even if it completely backfired

And yeah "simple power with a ton of applications" are always the best protagonist stands, see also Crazy Diamond

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 30, 2022

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bruno dismembering pesci with zippers is still the 2nd coolest moment in the Part to me, only second to the seven page muda muda

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

janken kid could have stopped pucci

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

JOHN CENA posted:

janken kid could have stopped pucci

lmao

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pucci: GRAVITY
Janken kid: jumps 500km into the air

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Yinlock posted:

And yeah "simple power with a ton of applications" are always the best protagonist stands, see also Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond can play a little loose as well, like "fixing" the spaghetti into whole tomatoes and uncooked pasta. That said, I do feel it's largely consistent.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I binged all of Stone Ocean the past couple of days. My enjoyment of the last third was held down by really missing Foo Fighters.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Crazy Diamond can play a little loose as well, like "fixing" the spaghetti into whole tomatoes and uncooked pasta. That said, I do feel it's largely consistent.

I feel Jolyne’s power is the most consistent. It does exactly what it says on the tin, literally nothing more, and has some loving wild applications, like the toe nail ripping and ear drum piercing, forming a mobeius strip to counter C-Moon’s hits, etc. But the best part is how amazingly weak it is, ranking probably in the bottom 10% of stand powers in terms of just overall strength but also ability in general, but Jolyne still manages to defeat the craziest odds and save the world with it. (Although she did not personally deliver the final blow, she did set it up)

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 30, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you squint hard enough there’s maybe some inconsistency of how much of herself Jolyne can safely unravel but that could probably be hand-waved as her gaining more control over the ability

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Augus posted:

If you squint hard enough there’s maybe some inconsistency of how much of herself Jolyne can safely unravel but that could probably be hand-waved as her gaining more control over the ability

yeah thats how I've always read it, and its something I always thought stone ocean does really well tbh. she doesn't really have a 'training arc' but the ways and the extent to which she can use her stand grows in a really natural way

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m almost done watching Stone Ocean (on episode 29) and man is it cool as poo poo how Jolyne works out of Under World’s Stand. I like how Versus inherited Dio’s pigheaded stubbornness to throw another wrench in Pucci’s plans. It’s interesting how Pucci basically has Jojo protagonist luck in the latter third here. The theme of fate being developed here is interesting, wonder what the conclusion to be drawn here is

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

It’s interesting how Pucci basically has Jojo protagonist luck in the latter third here. The theme of fate being developed here is interesting, wonder what the conclusion to be drawn here is
Spoiler for when you’re finished, the conclusion to be drawn is Pucci is insanely full of poo poo and a horrible human being who hosed over himself and everyone he loves on every level and got murdered for his own mistakes, also fate is loving bullshit as is everything else about Pucci, see: ”these two guards will Trip And Fall because Fate!” *enters pucci, faceelbows them causing them Not To Trip And Fall, while rambling about Fate (and child murder)*

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Does he use the same word for [GRAVITY] as Char?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXpJlBVRcns