Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Was supposed to go to the in-laws for a turbo 7 kids under 6 day of insanity, but two of those 7 kids woke up from a dead sleep with explosive vomit and diarrhea so we were forced to stay home, play with toys and go sledding.

In three days baby turns two and I’m really looking forward to cycling out just about every old toy with a new one. I don’t have any idea how people stay sane through the holidays, it’ll take me 1.5 hours to clean the kitchen and the rest of the night to clean up the rest of the house, on top of making another meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh God so many dinosaurs

Someone help

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Renegret posted:

Oh God so many dinosaurs

Someone help

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The 15 month old is handling big family Christmas at Grandpa and Grandma's surprisingly well, especially since all she got for a nap so far today was like fifteen minutes on the drive down. She's about to nap a little maybe, so tonight she'll either conk out or be a hot mess, can't wait.

Next year we get to do this with two of them.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It has been an hour and my son has been ritualistically pressing the same button on his new fisher price toy to maximize the playback time on a clip I've dubbed "his jam".

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My neighbor just rang the doorbell and handed my child a wrapped box containing a toy that plays the Baby Shark song.

This is a war crime.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Apply for asylum

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

wizzardstaff posted:

My neighbor just rang the doorbell and handed my child a wrapped box containing a toy that plays the Baby Shark song.

This is a war crime.

When my kiddo was 1 my wife gave his cousins this baby shark puppet that sang the song, but only as quickly as you moved it's mouth.

I declared it a WMD and I'm still waiting for the payback.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

This year's clear winning toy is Rody the Horse
Now if we can just avoid any grevious bodily injury I will be overjoyed

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

My 4 year old was given the Minions Fart Cannon by his great uncle. I don't know what we did to offend him so, but I know how we're going to wake him up next time we stay over.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My daughter got a remote control fart machine and we put the remote on our keys so we can announce we're home to whoever is inside with a cacophony of flatulence

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Chernobyl Princess posted:

My 4 year old was given the Minions Fart Cannon by his great uncle. I don't know what we did to offend him so, but I know how we're going to wake him up next time we stay over.

Is that the one that haa the spray bottle you fill with water so it releases a mist when used? Because we too got one of those and its hilarity quickly runs thin before finally becoming loving hilarious again.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Khan household has entered hour 1 of the OMEGA MELTDOWN.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The big metal dump truck from my parents was well received as were the magnetic letters, but the books were the highlight of the presents.

Unfortunately Mrs Pony is recovering from the cold kid brought home so I've been the designated reader and lead toddler wrangler since Friday. I have read "Watch Your Step Mr. Rabbit!" many many times. I am so very tired.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

This is a war crime.

Any jury with a single parent on it would never be able to convict you for any retaliation you make

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

citybeatnik posted:

Is that the one that haa the spray bottle you fill with water so it releases a mist when used? Because we too got one of those and its hilarity quickly runs thin before finally becoming loving hilarious again.

Exactly that. Thankfully he's pretty good about being told "you can play with that for one minute, here, I'm setting a timer"

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The second he clapped eyes on the hot wheels that my nephews got him, all other presents were forgotten. This boy has like 40 loving hot wheels now, it's gotten out of control.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Happy day of assembling toys, everyone!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter got so many craft supplies, and is seemingly set on using every single bit today

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My wife gave our toddler a bunch of dress-up outfits and the firefighter has a bullhorn that just makes a siren noise. As with most toys like that, one or two layers of tape over the speaker makes it the perfect volume.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

davebo posted:

one or two layers of tape over the speaker makes it the perfect volume.

... you have just improved my quality of life ten fold.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

In the spirit of the new thread title, me and 5yo spent some quality time today learning with some tools for excellent fine motor control.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Nice

My 4 year old loves my practice locks. They prompt some good conversations with my little fence-jumper about the meaning behind things that restrict access; the symbol of the barrier is important sign even if we can get around it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
The kids did so great for our little Christmas Eve get together, they were on their best behavior and they seemed to truly like every gift they got. Plastic high heels were my daughter’s favorite, and a garbage truck was my son’s.

Daycare is closed this week for the holiday but is still charging like the kids are attending, which really irks me.

That being said, I worked on Christmas Day, and now I have four full days in a row of 24/7 just me and the kids. I do a day shift on Friday, and it’s immediately back to more kid time. Their dad gets them Sunday night. I decided to put them in daycare that following Monday, because between my two jobs and taking care of them, I will have literally zero time to myself between yesterday and January 21st if I don’t take it “off” and put them in daycare.

My mom doesn’t understand the concept of giving a day to myself, and was throwing me a little guff for it tonight. She has saved me so many times with helping watch the kids, so I can’t be too irritated. I’m putting them in daycare anyway regardless. I need at least one 8-hour block to myself in a month.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sending kids to daycare even when you're off from work is not only normal, but I'll argue the right thing to do. We all know the value of keeping a routine at this point. And you're paying for it, why not use it.

I mean the way I see it, if I'm going to spend all day ignoring my kid to clean up, do laundry, run errands, meal prep etc, he might as well go to school instead of staring at a screen all day.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh man we deliberately plan to take a day off when the kids are in school and one of us already has the day off. Parent time with the kids at school is great. I personally also really appreciate solo time. A lot.

Besides, it sounds like you have a ton of time with them this, you need to recharge!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid goes stir crazy if she’s at home too long with just us. The holiday week loving sucks because if we don’t entertain her 24/7 with constantly new things then it’s just one meltdown after another. Much healthier for everyone involved if she goes to daycare while we’re off.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Koivunen posted:

The kids did so great for our little Christmas Eve get together, they were on their best behavior and they seemed to truly like every gift they got. Plastic high heels were my daughter’s favorite, and a garbage truck was my son’s.

Daycare is closed this week for the holiday but is still charging like the kids are attending, which really irks me.

That being said, I worked on Christmas Day, and now I have four full days in a row of 24/7 just me and the kids. I do a day shift on Friday, and it’s immediately back to more kid time. Their dad gets them Sunday night. I decided to put them in daycare that following Monday, because between my two jobs and taking care of them, I will have literally zero time to myself between yesterday and January 21st if I don’t take it “off” and put them in daycare.

My mom doesn’t understand the concept of giving a day to myself, and was throwing me a little guff for it tonight. She has saved me so many times with helping watch the kids, so I can’t be too irritated. I’m putting them in daycare anyway regardless. I need at least one 8-hour block to myself in a month.

I put my kid in daycare for 6 hours every other Friday even though I’m off work with rationale:

I’ve already paid for it
I have projects/chores/tasks I’m behind on
Even if I don’t, I would like to nap and drink coffee and play video games uninterrupted for one brief shining day
6 hours is less than his normal 8-9 hours, and we get to hang out after I pick him up

Unfortunately for me when I pick him up early on my off Friday he is confused and upset because the “late time” aftercare from 3-5 is very unstructured and fun and I totally mess up his spot by getting him early.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My very picky 9yo son found another thing he likes, Heinz beans in chili sauce. Straight from the jar. We're trying to get him to eat more since he actually lost weight.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 4 year old is already asking when he gets to go back to "school" and was upset he didn't get to go today. Sorry, buddy. It opens again on the 29th. I think he likes the break from his older brother and playing with kids his own age.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My 7yo daughter is painfully shy. I took her to a cooking class this morning at the YMCA. She was super excited to go, but immediately started crying when we walked in because of all the new faces.

After she warms up, she's fine. When I picked her up, she told me how much fun it was. But it's that initial step that gets her. I can empathize because I was like that as a kid (I still don't like meeting new people). It's so hard to teach her how to handle the emotions and stress of that situation when it really only comes with practice and time.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My kids daycare sent a reminder that they'll be closed (and still charging) for a couple of weeks and included a reminder to donate to the teacher fund to give the teachers a holiday bonus.

Which of course we did because the teachers get paid poo poo. But still gently caress you pay your teachers more

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My 7yo daughter is painfully shy. I took her to a cooking class this morning at the YMCA. She was super excited to go, but immediately started crying when we walked in because of all the new faces.

After she warms up, she's fine. When I picked her up, she told me how much fun it was. But it's that initial step that gets her. I can empathize because I was like that as a kid (I still don't like meeting new people). It's so hard to teach her how to handle the emotions and stress of that situation when it really only comes with practice and time.

I think you did the right thing here to be honest. And it worked out okay in the end!

7 years old isn't too young for therapy for anxiety btw - those are the kind of kids my wife LOVES (she's a psychologist). I bet this was all exacerbated by the pandemic, she would've been what, 4 or 5 when it first started? It does sound stressful.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Oh good school is closed for another week minimum because a pipe burst and flooded the whole drat place. At least I don’t have to pay!

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
My boyfriend got his almost-4-year-old a rad Jurassic Park lego set (which BF had to put together and will definitely be taken apart ASAP), a really cool nerf gun and a truck that holds his micro machines and has a sick ramp.

So, of course, kiddo spent most of Christmas playing with what his grandma sent him, this set of vinyl cups with animals on them that you stack up into a pyramid and knock down with a small rubber ball. It was really cool watching him learn to set up the cups himself though! I had to do it for him a few times and then I was like okay kid, figure it out. My poor boyfriend was like why do I spend money on this child.

I got him these cute dinosaur jammies, the book No One Likes a Fart (which is a lie because farts are his favorite thing) and a little Zero (from his favorite movie, Nightmare Before Christmas) night light he can bring to bed with him.

He told me he loves me :3 So that was my big present.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our present today was our almost 4 year old not napping then waking up her almost 2 year old brother because she decided to wear a different dress and that the hallway outside his door was the best time and place to throw down about it.

Ready 4 bedtime.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

CherryCola posted:

My poor boyfriend was like why do I spend money on this child.

My wife is really keen on expanding our kid's play kitchen with some more fake food, like the fancy sliced vegetables with velcro holding them together, etc.

Meanwhile the kid is ignoring half of what she already has, happily making sandwiches with an earplug and a ribbon scrap (a potato and a purple carrot). She's fine.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am trying very hard to remain zen about toys that my boy has shown zero interest in. One of these days I will gift him that special stuffy or toy that he will be inseparable from and I won’t be able to predict which one it will be!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

remigious posted:

I am trying very hard to remain zen about toys that my boy has shown zero interest in. One of these days I will gift him that special stuffy or toy that he will be inseparable from and I won’t be able to predict which one it will be!

The tissue paper from the gift bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Been having a lot of root beer and butterscotch Dum-Dums because my daughter doesn't like those ones