Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Afaik the Herman Miller warranty is only valid if you're the original owner, which is going to destroy the resale value for me - I'm not going to spend even half the price of a new chair on something that could break in six months and leave me having to buy spare parts out of my own pocket.

quote:

This warranty extends only to the original purchasers who acquire new product from Herman Miller, its subsidiaries, or its authorized resellers.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/policies_legal/hm_warranty_us_and_canada.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yeah, that has always been a point of hesitation for me as well. Not sure what a reasonable price would be with that in mind, though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Like the time to buy a Herman Miller chair is either brand new from an approved reseller with all the options you want on it, or when it's £300 and you're happy it's in good condition.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I don't see too many Embodys going on sale from liquidation places. That being said, if the fabric looks free of any questionable stains and the previous owner wasn't some 500lb gorilla a 2 year Embody will probably good for a few years. I'd take it over something that costs ~$500 that comes with a 2 year warranty.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Thank you for the replies!

I guess I failed to mention that any of these transactions will be between close personal friends, so if warranty work was required it would be possible to make that happen.

And yeah, since we all know each other we're pretty sure we're all reasonably gentle with our stuff.

I guess I was just sorta looking to see where arms-length transactions in this space land to help ballpark what would be reasonable "friend pricing"

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I feel like ~60% of whatever your friend paid would be reasonable. If you're well off and feeling generous you could go up to 70% since it's basically only a year old but anymore than that and I would rather look for authorized sellers that have Embodies in stock and might be willing to sell at a little bit of a discount.

Have you actually sat in it for a bit to see if you like it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Whitest Russian posted:

I feel like ~60% of whatever your friend paid would be reasonable. If you're well off and feeling generous you could go up to 70% since it's basically only a year old but anymore than that and I would rather look for authorized sellers that have Embodies in stock and might be willing to sell at a little bit of a discount.

Have you actually sat in it for a bit to see if you like it?

Indeed! I've had a Cosm for two years and liked it well enough; he got that Embody a year or so after that but then it turned out that back isn't compatible with how he sits and how broad his shoulders are.

He was looking to get rid of it and I proposed we swap chairs for a month; that way we each get to try something we hadn't before and he has another data point before he buys something else. I've come to like the Embody quite a bit - maybe even more than the Cosm.

Another friend of mine is gonna be in the market for a chair soon after a cross-country move so I'm thinking about just buying the Embody, then letting my other friend test-drive one or both of the chairs for a month or so each and then either selling one to them or . . . not, depending on how much they like each chair. If nothing else it'll help this friend make a more informed purchase if neither the Embody or Cosm vibe with them.

Edit: appreciate the numbers as well! Helps a lot in trying to decide what is gonna be fair for everyone involved

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 15, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Early impressions of the Embody: it's like this thing was made specifically for me. It's perfect. I'm now a convert to the church of Herman Miller.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Early impressions of the Embody: it's like this thing was made specifically for me. It's perfect. I'm now a convert to the church of Herman Miller.

Welcome, brother. May it’s adjustable cushions bring comfort and support to your spine and leg parts. Praise be.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

tehinternet posted:

Welcome, brother. May it’s adjustable cushions bring comfort and support to your spine and leg parts. Praise be.

We need an embody gang tag

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We need an embody gang tag

A spine resting on a pillow made of $100 bills

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

tehinternet posted:

A spine resting on a pillow made of $100 bills

That's only twenty bills or so though. Make it :10bux: for some real volume.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One thing I'll say is that the most forward back configuration isn't as upright as I expected. There's also a slight amount of uninhibited rocking on the seat even with the seat tilt locked, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My Embody arrives today, about a month earlier than I originally expected! Which is great because my hand me down Aeron has literally fallen apart.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Peachfart posted:

My Embody arrives today, about a month earlier than I originally expected! Which is great because my hand me down Aeron has literally fallen apart.

Nice. When I ordered mine the site said March timeframe but the order tracking section says January.
So who knows. Maybe they are catching up on the backlog or something.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm looking for a new office/gaming chair and I have one specific requirement that is either not present or difficult to determine if it is or not on most of the chairs I've been looking at online, so coming to the thread for some help.

The requirement is that the armrests can be moved the gently caress out of the way entirely if needed, because I also play guitar sitting on the chair frequently, so I need to be able to turn the chair into more of a stool when needed, which my lovely $100 Amazon chairs all do, but they also suck to sit on for long periods of time. I'd like to get one good chair that does all of this, rather than having to have an office chair and a guitar stool taking up space.

Looking at HM stuff like the Cosm or Embody, it looks like those armrests only adjust up and down. The Embody specifically looks like you can drop them almost down to seat-level, which may be good enough, but Cosm maybe not? And the Aerons look similar with just a height adjustment that may go low enough to be out of the way.

Anyway, I'm not hung up on getting a HM chair by any means, but most of the stuff I'm seeing from other brands seem to be very similar in the armrest department. Price isn't a huge concern since I'm getting work to pay for it, but I don't really want to tell them I need $2K for a chair.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Steelcase Gesture and Humanscale Freedom both have arm rests that can go very low

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
You might also want to consider focusing on a chair with no armrests (or arm rests that are not structurally necessary). That way you can use some clamp-on-desk mobile arm supports things instead.

I don't see these around as often as I used to, so I don't know if they turned out to be anti-ergo or just fell out of fashion. You might want to ask the desktop thread if anyone has experience or recommendations to share.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

The Steelcase Gesture and Humanscale Freedom both have arm rests that can go very low
Don't know if Gesture goes much lower, but the Think and Please don't adjust enough.

I get around it by holding it a bit more at an angle like a classical guitar.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Thanks Ants posted:

Thanks for this. The Freedom doesn't look like it'll do the trick, but after watching a YT review on the Gesture it looks like with the arms in the lowest position and swiveled as far away from the seat as they go, it would work for playing guitar comfortably. And if it doesn't, I'll just live with having a separate stool/chair around for guitar since the Gesture seems to have everything else I'm looking for in an office chair.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I did some quick measurements on my Gesture, and at their lowest the tops of the armrests are like 6 inches above the top of the seat. Which for me puts it right about level with my waist.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BCRock posted:

Thanks for this. The Freedom doesn't look like it'll do the trick, but after watching a YT review on the Gesture it looks like with the arms in the lowest position and swiveled as far away from the seat as they go, it would work for playing guitar comfortably. And if it doesn't, I'll just live with having a separate stool/chair around for guitar since the Gesture seems to have everything else I'm looking for in an office chair.

I can take measurements on an Embody and a Cosm this afternoon if you're interested.

I cannot in good conscience allow you to consider a Gesture without first having a full set of data :v: (Mostly just joking here; the Gesture is certainly a good chair, but I personally did not enjoy the time I spent with it. My complaints about it are not uncommon, but there are also a lot of people that like that chair.)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just sat in my brand new Embody for the first time and I think I'll just never get up now

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

couldcareless posted:

Just sat in my brand new Embody for the first time and I think I'll just never get up now

Embody gang!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You’re Welcome :hai:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

couldcareless posted:

You, Too, Are Welcome

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BCRock posted:

Embody is about 4" above the seat pan - lower than the tops of my thighs, although I am slightly thiccccc so ymmv

Cosm adjustable arms drop to 6" above the seat pan - just slightly over the thighs/at waist level. (I don't have access to a set of Leaf Arms so I don't know what those would be like to try and play guitar with, but I have to imagine they'd be in the way a little, even though they sit further back than a standard chair arm. I don't believe the leaf arms are adjustable but I only saw them for a couple minutes in a showroom once.)

Just looking at both chairs quickly, it does NOT seem that the arms are integral to the functionality/stability of the chair - that is to say, they look like they could be removed entirely if that was desired. I can test this for you if needed - just ask which chair you want me to modify.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Zarin posted:

Embody is about 4" above the seat pan - lower than the tops of my thighs, although I am slightly thiccccc so ymmv

Cosm adjustable arms drop to 6" above the seat pan - just slightly over the thighs/at waist level. (I don't have access to a set of Leaf Arms so I don't know what those would be like to try and play guitar with, but I have to imagine they'd be in the way a little, even though they sit further back than a standard chair arm. I don't believe the leaf arms are adjustable but I only saw them for a couple minutes in a showroom once.)

Just looking at both chairs quickly, it does NOT seem that the arms are integral to the functionality/stability of the chair - that is to say, they look like they could be removed entirely if that was desired. I can test this for you if needed - just ask which chair you want me to modify.

Thanks for this - very helpful. No need to take the arms off of anything, but thanks for offering!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zarin posted:

Looking for a ballpark number here, if anyone has any thoughts!

What would the thread consider to be a reasonable price for a gently-used Embody that is about 1.25 years old?

What about a gently-used Cosm (high back, adjustable arm rests) that is about 2 years old?

Figured I'd see if anyone had been shopping the secondhand market recently and had any idea about numbers before I attempt to research it myself. (Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about second-hand markets yet)
This will depend heavily on where you're located.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
One thing I can say is those ages are young for a used office chair on the public marketplace. Real companies use the hell out of these things, the chair equivalent to "granny drove it to church once a week after buying the car last year" is quite rare IME living in a big metro. Big companies that use up Aerons don't go out of business that often.

For example I just called my Big Used Office Chair store today to see about something, and asked about Aerons too, they just got a shipment of I think 150+ Classic Aerons from their wholesale supplier. They have zero remastered Aerons. The median age is I'm pretty sure 10+ years.

So, those chairs could command a lot. However as a used chair buyer I would prioritize price though, so I'm not sure who would pay slightly less than retail for a gently used one with no warranty, you know?

Also, seems from your post you are a buyer, do the sites list ages at all? When I was looking online at Aerons it was a crap shoot, and mine has the HM date sticker torn off actually. (I know you're not looking at that model though)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

FedEx left my Embody in front of my garage without saying anything after dusk, I only saw it on accident when I decided to go to the store right before a rainstorm.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

When they delivered my gesture one end of the box looked like they had dropped it several feet

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Peachfart posted:

FedEx left my Embody in front of my garage without saying anything after dusk, I only saw it on accident when I decided to go to the store right before a rainstorm.

I would guess mandated signature required deliveries for things over certain value is a thing of the past for some reason. Surprising that HM wouldn't opt for this with FedEx or they just screwed it up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Peachfart posted:

i would have stolen it, as it is a most excellent chair!

Inner Light posted:

I would guess mandated signature required deliveries for things over certain value is a thing of the past for some reason. Surprising that HM wouldn't opt for this with FedEx or they just screwed it up.
fedex and ups drivers are so loving overworked and every second of their shift is scrutinized to the point that special requests (especially for something as big as an embody) are often overloooked due to lack of time. i’m sure the nationwide expectation of 2-day Treat Delivery has made their lives hell

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 5, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

i would have stolen it, as it is a most excellent chair!

fedex and ups drivers are so loving overworked and every second of their shift is scrutinized to the point that special requests (especially for something as big as an embody) are often overloooked due to lack of time. i’m sure the nationwide expectation of 2-day Treat Delivery has made their lives hell

I'm sitting in it now. I love it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Do the folks itt who order these chairs have an opportunity to sit in them beforehand?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Anti-Hero posted:

Do the folks itt who order these chairs have an opportunity to sit in them beforehand?

I am incapable of spending the amount of money I did on chairs without trying them out first, personally. I went and found a showroom and spent some time there before making a decision.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
My dad did say he'd get me one of those IKEA chairs mentioned upthread for me as a Christmas gift but I'm having a hard time committing to one without a roadtrip to test them.

I've been watching videos and stuff about chairs from chair enthusiasts and it doesn't feel like anyone really rates anything in the 300 range all that highly. I know I've seen a few mentions of the Ticova and the Clatina Mellet, but I have absolutely no way to test those at all as far as I know.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks again for the feedback about chairs and guitar playing. I'm now deciding between the Embody and Gesture as my top 2 choices and I'd love a quick rundown of the major pros/cons of these two before I impulse buy one or the other.

Just to make it clear I'm looking to judge these on the merits of being an office chair that's sat in for many hours every day. If I can comfortably play guitar in either that's a bonus at this point since I can easily just get a stool to use for that if necessary. And for whatever it's worth when it comes to these particular options, I'm 6'4" and not heavy. Mentioning that since I've read a bunch of comments about the Gesture working a lot better for taller people than it does for short people,, so it may end up being a deciding factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Framboise posted:

My dad did say he'd get me one of those IKEA chairs mentioned upthread for me as a Christmas gift but I'm having a hard time committing to one without a roadtrip to test them.

I've been watching videos and stuff about chairs from chair enthusiasts and it doesn't feel like anyone really rates anything in the 300 range all that highly. I know I've seen a few mentions of the Ticova and the Clatina Mellet, but I have absolutely no way to test those at all as far as I know.

Sometimes you just have to buy the thing and run with it. IKEA is pretty good with returns, so I don’t think you need to worry too much. Contemplating one myself as I think my old HAG is trying to kill me.