Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hello new bookmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mobby_6kl posted:

This seems to be the book in the background btw: https://www.amazon.com/Innovators-D...ps%2C184&sr=8-1

The Innovators Dilemma is the book that popularized the idea of disruptive innovation which Bron explains almost entirely incorrectly during his disrupters speech.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

the holy poopacy mentioned earlier that the writing is nonsense ("crypto management -> exponential growth :lmao:), but the important part is whether or not everyone lied about it in court.

Lmao yeah this is perfect, it's yet another glass onion, illusory complexity.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I'm 100% on the 'it was hydroxychloroquine' train.

This would have been a great throwaway later on in the movie lmao.

edit: or maybe too on the nose, still funny to assume that's what it was.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Haven't gone through all the pages and spoilers, so it most likely has been mentioned, but one of the biggest laughs the movie got out of me was seeing Miles dressed exactly like Tom Cruise as that motivational PUA speaker from "Magnolia" during the "how it all started" flashbacks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Majkol posted:

The thing with Claire is nonsense. She was a witness in a highly publicized court case, as was Duke. And they both testified that they were present at the napkin moment. Why else would they be there if they did not know each other and rather well.

In our actual real world, here's what happened in the 2018 Connecticut governors race.

Figure any opposition that would try to use Claire's friendship/acquaintance with Duke against her in that election would do so in the Democratic primary (it seems highly unlikely that Claire is a Republican because, well, she won the Connecticut governor's race and support initiatives on climate change). Figure in the Glass Onion 2018 race, Claire probably won with a better margin than actual winner Ned Lamont. With Miles Bron backing/financing her, Claire likely trounced her primary opponents and in the general election her friendship/acquaintance with Duke probably worked to her advantage with GOP voters because it likely made it harder for the GOP to paint her as a "typical Democrat."

If anything this mess on the island very much works for Claire. She can pull back her approval of Klear and be one of the "brave heroes standing up for justice" by tossing Miles under the bus and running him over with it a few times.

And if that doesn't work, she can reveal her true self and go after anyone who's pissed her off that way.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I didn't quite like this as much as Knives Out, I don't think it's terrible but I think it has problems that are structural in nature and maybe un-resolvable without changing the entire story.

I don't really have a problem with the "gently caress tech-bros and the rich" stuff, the napkin is massive nonsense, but it's easy to just squint and say it's a macguffin, but the main problem for me was that in a 2 hour and change movie, nothing really happens until an hour in. And the majority of the rest of the movie is a flashback that just exists to backfill info for the audience, and then once we're back from the flashback, Blanc immediately explains the whole thing and we are left with a climax, that as some previous posters have said, isn't that great and raises some questions of why NOW things have changed, the murderer should be able to bluff it out imo, will take some hits, but make it through but that's not what the end implies.

Obviously the inciting incident has already happened before the movie even really starts, but the structure obscures this and while we know we're watching a movie and there are things going on with this group of "friends", there is nothing actually for the audience to pick at because, well, we don't know about Andi's death and the scheme Blanc/Helen are running, on first watching you're waiting for the story to start, not realising it already has.

Imagine if in Knives Out, you didn't know Christopher Plummer was dead until halfway through, rather than being the opening scene.

The movie kind of needs this structure, as otherwise it's too long until we hit the island, but this structure robs the flashback of any real tension, it's just filling in info to explain stuff we've already seen on screen, and it last's so very long. To be honest, you could cut from Blanc suggesting to Helen she impersonate Andi straight back to "present" time, all the extended looks at scenes we've already seen don't add anything and don't really explain the mystery or anything, as it's all red herrings.

As an example of things wrong with the structure imo, some posters posted about how the hot sauce dripping down the face was the scene with the most tension in the movie and obviously it's just opinions, but for me there was zero tension there because the story structure has already shown us what happens after that scene, nothing, Blanc has taken them back inside, nobody has noticed "Andi" is still alive, so how can there be tension?

Lot of negative words from me here, but I think all of the good of this movie comes from a stacked cast giving good performances, the "clever" things in the movie are like Bron, not that clever and a bit annoying.

But it is a really good cast, so worth at least one watch.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Everyone posted:

In our actual real world, here's what happened in the 2018 Connecticut governors race.

Figure any opposition that would try to use Claire's friendship/acquaintance with Duke against her in that election would do so in the Democratic primary (it seems highly unlikely that Claire is a Republican because, well, she won the Connecticut governor's race and support initiatives on climate change). Figure in the Glass Onion 2018 race, Claire probably won with a better margin than actual winner Ned Lamont. With Miles Bron backing/financing her, Claire likely trounced her primary opponents and in the general election her friendship/acquaintance with Duke probably worked to her advantage with GOP voters because it likely made it harder for the GOP to paint her as a "typical Democrat."

If anything this mess on the island very much works for Claire. She can pull back her approval of Klear and be one of the "brave heroes standing up for justice" by tossing Miles under the bus and running him over with it a few times.

And if that doesn't work, she can reveal her true self and go after anyone who's pissed her off that way.

I think the "partying during COVID" might be her biggest stumble but Newsom survived a recall after he was at a similar outing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Young Freud posted:

I think the "partying during COVID" might be her biggest stumble but Newsom survived a recall after he was at a similar outing.

Partying? She was certainly not partying! She was... consulting with reputed brilliant businessman, Miles Bron (who, alas, turned out to be a murderous idiot) in an attempt to find a cure/treatment for COVID for the good of Connecticut, America and the world in that order. Just as someone hoping to serve in the Senate should do.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Guy A. Person posted:

well that’s the point is that it doesn’t set off any bells which is why Bautista doesn’t think anything of it at the time. It’s only in retrospect when you learn of her time of death that it lines up

Bron also very notably cuts Bautista off when he is going to say "at Andi's" and says "Anderson Cooper" which momentarily perplexes Bautista if you look closely, but he's also meant to be kind of thick, so I guess he brushed it off until he got the ding on his phone

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah and also she took precautionary measures like getting some aquarium cleaner fluid shot straight into her throat

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really she can just say it was fully masked and distanced and probably be fine. Politicians got away with far worse during that period.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Does anybody else think that there is no Helen?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Infomaniac posted:

Nah, that's dumb

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Infomaniac posted:

:goofy:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That would rock, they shoulda done that. gently caress you Blanc, you dumbass. You got got!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Wait, what even... You're suggesting that Andi survived the murder attempt, and faked that it was successful in a way that would be discovered by the authorities a few days later, then pretended to be a twin sister while recruiting famous detective Benoit Blanc, in order to... what? Discover who committed the attempted murderer she witnessed, as the victim? Sneak onto the island to plot revenge, which required re-disguising herself as her real identity, and which she didn't need Benoit for?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 1, 2023

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Nah, that's dumb

Could you get into your sibling's email?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Infomaniac posted:

Could you get into your sibling's email?

As an IT support professional, I can assure you that high-ranking executives often find the timed auto-lock feature of computers to be insufferable, and will insist on disabling it against all good sense and advice.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
She drops the accent for the final "yeh" and gives the look to the camera...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm thinking there's no real Benoit Blanc, and that he's actually a friendly spirit who appears to women in need (with the prerequisite that the need involves a murder mystery).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

stev posted:

I'm thinking there's no real Benoit Blanc, and that he's actually a friendly spirit who appears to women in need (with the prerequisite that the need involves a murder mystery).

but how could a friendly spirit play among us with angela lansbury and stephen sondh....oh i made myself sad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Infomaniac posted:

The thought occurred to me while watching, but I didn’t think that it would add to the story, I didn’t think that Blanc would fall for it, and it was pretty thoroughly put to rest by the news hitting Duke’s phone.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

stev posted:

I'm pretty sure Phillip would disagree with you. There is absolutely a Benoit Blanc.

On paper. As a cover identity.

Now, after serving MI-6 for decades of spying, seductions weird gizmos and grand schemes by outlandish people wishing to conquer or destroy the world, the man once called "James Bond" gets to retire and live the dream as his truest self - a gay Deep Southern US gentleman-detective.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
No Time to Die -> Knives Out

Bond faked his own death

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty sure Phillip would disagree with you. There is absolutely a Benoit Blanc.

On paper. As a cover identity.

Now, after serving MI-6 for decades of spying, seductions weird gizmos and grand schemes by outlandish people wishing to conquer or destroy the world, the man once called "James Bond" gets to retire and live the dream as his truest self - a gay Deep Southern US gentleman-detective.

I’d prefer this revelation actually, he just doesn’t make the thick accent believable imo.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The bathtub scene establishes he's going crazy with boredom in the pandemic, that he has trouble with 'simple' mysteries and games, foreshadows the idea of an imposter, and establishes the way that real and respectable celebrities with talent behave like fairly regular people with concern for friends as compared to self-aggrandising assholes like Bron. It also provides a point in time that the flashback can anchor itself to.

The bathtub scene is and him complaining about needing a good mystery is also the setup for the jokes later about how Brons mystery was a perfect “bite sized satisfying” mystery, but then the actual conclusion and culprit is so profoundly obvious he gets angry

The Ninth Layer posted:

As an aside I think what makes a lot of these sequences hard to process for me is, if this story happened irl there would be about 300 steps of reparation between a Miles type billionaire and anyone a guy like that would want killed or dead. Why would you ever go to Andi's house to kill her when you could instead pay someone to pay someone to do it for you. If that was an option available to him in the movie it would be super dumb for him to do these killings personally. Obviously that wouldn't make for an interesting movie but it was unclear to me whether Miles (for example) had the ability to call in security and neutralize his guests if they did decide to turn him in. Sio I kept thinking why would you do this in your island, how do you see yourself getting out of this any way short of killing all of your guests to ensure their silence. Those things aren't really fair for the movie to consider but they did affect how I reacted to the story.

Firstly it’s not actually that easy to hire a hit man in real life. This is movie land so it varies on how realistic they want to go with it but IRL hitmen only really exist within the mob, not as agent 47 style free agents.

Also Blanc noted emotional motivation of the killer when describing the method of murder- non violent, she just goes to sleep. The murder method of a former friend. Bron had to do it himself, due to his conflicting feelings towards Andi and what he would call respect

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 2, 2023

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They should do one last normal Knives Out movie with Blanc in a case dealing with some lady and then have the last case be a team up of Marta, Helen, TBD lady, and Hugh Grant trying to solve Blanc’s murder.

Johnson should also go full troll and call it The Last Detective.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A Farewell to Southern Charms

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Next one should be a crossover with the two cops from See How They Run

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Watched Glass onion last night. Had a really good time with it.
There were some really great bits in there.
Absolutely loved:

Daniel Craig. I pretty much only know Daniel as an okay James Bond. I loved him in the original Knives out. But I feel like he was enjoying himself even more in this movie. Like that hilarious bit with the twin on the balcony where he just overacts to such a fantastic degree with that ridiculous accent. :allears: I can watch and listen to that all day.
Lolled hard at unexpected Hugh Grant. One of the best bits I love is that it's just there and honestly seems like such a healthy relationship. I know what Rian said about Benoit being gay and this is perfect. We wouldn't bat an eye to a girl opening the door covered in flour and so the same response is given to Hugh Grant where the only ! is that it's friggin' Hugh Grant, the man of a thousand romcoms with girls chasing him. Genius casting.
The "obvious" drink swap (wife missed it) and the immediate lie following it, complete with wrong take.
Loved Duke's mom dunking on everyone.
Daniel Craig's accent.
Benoit straight up finishing the murder mystery before it started.
That stupid Mona Lisa protection sliding in and out.
The loud Dong occasionally being used to punctuate dramatic scenes.
The obvious 2020 setting, yes I like that. I liked that the previous movie was also nearly contemporary.
I found myself liking Whiskey a lot as well. She just seemed like a dumb pretty hanger on, but the brief talk her and Helen had make it pretty clear she's a lot more than a pretty face.

What I didn't particularly like:

That despite being set in 2022 we have a "miracle fuel" next to the heart of the movie. It's "grounded", except not? I don't know. I didn't hate it, but it felt...contrived? Weird?

My wife complained that she felt the movie took too long to get good. I don't disagree with her, I do think the start can be accelerated slightly, but not much. There's a lot of legwork there. So I'm not sure if it would've improved the movie to shorten it.

The way the napkin was torched. Why push it into his face? Even without fire, he could've straight up taken it from her. But meh, movies. :shrug:

I think the first movie is better, but this movie is honestly fantastic as well.

Question:

Why did Bron send an invite to Cassandra? I don't remember it being mentioned why he did that and when was it sent? Did he send it after killing her to pretend he didn't know she was dead? Did he send it first and then kill her after the fax? Did he always keep inviting her to all parties just to taunt her? Or was this the first party since the break up? I'm a little vague on the timeline here.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They probably should've mentioned that, but I think it's easy enough to explain given that someone else designed the boxes and it would've been weird to tell them not to send one of them right before that person was declared dead.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Darth TNT posted:

Why did Bron send an invite to Cassandra? I don't remember it being mentioned why he did that and when was it sent? Did he send it after killing her to pretend he didn't know she was dead? Did he send it first and then kill her after the fax? Did he always keep inviting her to all parties just to taunt her? Or was this the first party since the break up? I'm a little vague on the timeline here.

She always got an invite every year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They probably should've mentioned that, but I think it's easy enough to explain given that someone else designed the boxes and it would've been weird to tell them not to send one of them right before that person was declared dead.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

She always got an invite every year.
Didn't they just have the lawsuit play out pretty recently? That would be a good reason to un-invite her, but would depend on the exact timing of everything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Whiskey says they did a boat vacation last time. She also hasn't met Andi so the lawsuit was at least however long ago the previous vacation was, 6-12 months.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

Question:

The timeline is pretty fuzzy, yeah. It would have taken a long time to make those boxes, quite possibly long enough that the plans predated the trial, or at least started early enough that Miles assumed he could still salvage his friendship with Andi.

I would like to think that the invite was deliberately extended as cover for not knowing about the murder, but the timeline is extremely tight; the fax happened two weeks before the vacation, followed shortly by Andi's murder and the invite getting dropped off. Miles mentioned his "puzzle guy" barely had time to finish them all, but even if he had the foresight to source spares ahead of time there's no way he could have assembled an extra one from scratch in the brief window he had between Miles deciding to kill Andi and the box getting couriered. Although Blanc does mention the possibility of a prototype; Miles asserts that only five boxes were ever built, but that could have been four + a prototype.

Speaking of the invites, I do have to appreciate that the entire plot only works because Miles is the type of person to order elaborate handmade puzzle boxes for his closest friends in the world and then use form notes for the invitations themselves. Had he signed anyone's names to the invites then Benoit would not be able to sneak on.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't they just have the lawsuit play out pretty recently? That would be a good reason to un-invite her, but would depend on the exact timing of everything.

If I dropped a friend just because they sued me, I wouldn't have any friends!

It's possible he didn't think to uninvite her, or thought since she wouldn't accept, it didn't matter. Or he could be one of those "it's business, not personal" people, and be willing to invite her as a way of being the "bigger" person.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Cemetry Gator posted:

If I dropped a friend just because they sued me, I wouldn't have any friends!

It's possible he didn't think to uninvite her, or thought since she wouldn't accept, it didn't matter. Or he could be one of those "it's business, not personal" people, and be willing to invite her as a way of being the "bigger" person.

it is probably because Miles Bron is dumb AND an rear end in a top hat that he kept inviting her after stealing her half of the company into a party with everyone who helped Miles steal the company.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Could've been planned as a 'gently caress you'.

When Blanc was talking to Lionel on the boat he seemed unsurprised that Miles invited her, just surprised she came, so it seems likely inviting her was in-character for Miles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Miles whole thing is that he's the kind of narcissist who genuinely is incapable of seeing what he does as wrong. So screwing you over and then expecting you to just forgive him when he makes a big flashy gesture is very in character.

What got me was that She got to attend while Miles knew that she was supposed to be dead. So either 1) He knew it wasn't Andi, but didnt want to give himself away by making a scene at her arrival. 2) The fact that he left the car running and didn't see her die meant he thought his murder attempt had failed.