Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

But then in TLJ we see that, nope, the Tree Temple full of all the Jedi books is basically untouched?

Luke brought those with him - he found them throughout the galaxy in his search for Jedi history, such as the book with the wayfinder, which he found on Ossus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“World between worlds”? Some new thing they’re going with?

Edit: I forgot that was a thing in Rebels. Have they done more with it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

People think that it's going to be a big part of the Ahsoka show. I think it was also part of the Treverrow version of Episode IX, if I'm remembering right.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

From Star Wars Rebels (shown very briefly in S1, but not named or expanded on until S4)

Short version is time travel, long version is Palpatine wants in so he can become all-powerful and gets denied

It can be used to see and alter past events, although there's the possibility of throwing things out of whack if you meddle too much, but it's only been used once in canon, and will likely show up again in the Ahsoka series

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Vinylshadow posted:

the World Between Worlds

The what

Does Star Wars have the warp now

e: oh

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Vinylshadow posted:

From Star Wars Rebels (shown very briefly in S1, but not named or expanded on until S4)

Short version is time travel, long version is Palpatine wants in so he can become all-powerful and gets denied

It can be used to see and alter past events, although there's the possibility of throwing things out of whack if you meddle too much, but it's only been used once in canon, and will likely show up again in the Ahsoka series

lol if they use it to retcon the sequel trilogy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

People think that it's going to be a big part of the Ahsoka show. I think it was also part of the Treverrow version of Episode IX, if I'm remembering right.

That was Mortis, which exists within the Force as its own realm, and has ties to it

(A mural that opens a gateway to the WBW)

bunnyofdoom posted:

lol if they use it to retcon the sequel trilogy.

Unlikely, but who knows, maybe we'll get What If? scenarios that play around with other concepts related to it, whether it's aspects from early movie drafts, Duel of the Fates, or Filoni making Ahsoka the cause of the entire Skywalker saga when she has to do something that enables Palps' rise to power rather than let the galaxy explode because...reasons

Don't hire me, LucasFilm

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Unlikely, but who knows, maybe we'll get What If? scenarios that play around with other concepts related to it, whether it's aspects from early movie drafts, Duel of the Fates, or Filoni making Ahsoka the cause of the entire Skywalker saga when she has to do something that enables Palps' rise to power rather than let the galaxy explode because...reasons

Don't hire me, LucasFilm

This is just rumored leaks so who knows if it's true but according to said alleged leaks the WBW will be used to show us an alternate ROTS where Ahsoka fights Vader on Mustafar, which might also have Hayden Christensen back as well

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

This is just rumored leaks so who knows if it's true but according to said alleged leaks the WBW will be used to show us an alternate ROTS where Ahsoka fights Vader on Mustafar, which might also have Hayden Christensen back as well

If you've got them on set, make the most of the time you have with them, I say

Combining the versatility of the Volume with the library of assets that ILM/LucasFilm has accrued over the years, you could easily set up whatever scenario you want in a fraction of the time and cost it'd have taken 15 years ago - they absolutely could do the whole "Rey and Kylo battle across setpieces from the Skywalker saga" thing that Duel of the Fates wanted to do, and if they want to do that with Ahsoka and Vader, by all means, go for it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The World Between Worlds and Mortis are easily confused for each other because they are both terrible and do not fit into the WWII dogfights in space story.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mortis I more or less made peace with, but doing WBW in live action is dumb and should be avoided. Rebels got weird at the end and not in a good way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

The World Between Worlds and Mortis are easily confused for each other because they are both terrible and do not fit into the WWII dogfights in space story.

You mean the Samurai and Wizards in space story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/George_Mann/status/1610278424534188038

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Angry_Ed posted:

You mean the Samurai and Wizards in space story

Samurai and wizards are cool, magic is okay, but I feel like there should be a hard line involving Actual Time Travel. Once you introduce that possibility, no matter how limited, it permanently changes the types of stories you're able to tell. What-ifs are distinct from that, and those are fair game, but once you're making these stories actually happen it's a different ball game.

Heck, if you want to have Ashoka fight Anakin in RotS, here's five possibilities off the top of my head: 1) cave on Dagobah; 2) it's post-RotJ and it's Anakin's Force ghost helping her work through some issues; 3) anxiety dream; 4) Ashoka trips balls on deathsticks; 5) uhh hologram i dunno.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know you can't have stsr wars without space ronin throwing mind lasers around but we shouldn't act like it hasn't been heavily saturated with the space wizard side of things since the Disney era started and comparatively slim on Vietnam guerrilla warfare outside of a handful of games and Andor. I'm still waiting for a star wars Battle of Britain movie

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

I know you can't have stsr wars without space ronin throwing mind lasers around but we shouldn't act like it hasn't been heavily saturated with the space wizard side of things since the Disney era started and comparatively slim on Vietnam guerrilla warfare outside of a handful of games and Andor. I'm still waiting for a star wars Battle of Britain movie
Thank you for posting my thoughts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ideally you'd have a balance of both, both together and apart, so you don't have to sit through seven years of Jedi Force Mysticism for two months of Not Jedi Force Mysticism

Ah well, some is better than none, I guess

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: I forgot that was a thing in Rebels. Have they done more with it?

Something vaguely similar gets used in the Lego Holiday Special.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Something vaguely similar gets used in the Lego Holiday Special.

Sure, but the LEGO specials aren't really meant to count for anything. They're just a bit of dumb fun.

Which, honestly, is how the whole franchise should be approached, but alas, here we are.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah I wasn't suggesting they were canon (though I think they are the closest that Finn's force sensitivity has come to canon?) but rather that the idea is still kicking around.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arc Hammer posted:

I’ve been saying it for 20+ years and I’ll keep saying it: Rogue and/or Wraith Squadron show that basically just reuses basic plots from Black Sheep Squadron, just replace Corsairs with X-wings and drop the racism.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, some of the series' best stuff comes from aping existing properties with a new coat of paint. There's obviously the Hidden Fortress & Dam Busters DNA in A New Hope, but even stuff like the Rebels being on Hoth and having to deal with Wampas came from Lucas wanting to do a riff on The Thing from Another World. And even in the prequels, stuff like lifting the chariot race from Ben-Hur for Episode I, or Episode II taking a detour to Barsoom are interesting choices that probably wouldn't happen in modern Star Wars.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Apparently the actor claims that "the master codebreaker" (a character of huge complexity which required much preparation to play...) wasn't a nod to Indiana Jones's costume at the start of The Temple of Doom, which is arguably true so they can't have detoured to Shanghai.

If you claim that it's instead a nod to the thing The Temple of Doom also nodded at, which is Bond's tux at the start of Goldfinger and thus they were in Miami :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Found some more of my old Star Wars books at my old place. Really happy to have this one

Also found this first edition hardcover

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Found some more of my old Star Wars books at my old place. Really happy to have this one

More feet pics pls

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

More feet pics pls
><

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I didn’t even realize there was a hardcover Crystal Star!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

1) Awesome!
2) Amazing cover, for a terrible book. But that will make it look great on your bookcase!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Han looks surprised to be there

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tom Smykowski posted:

Due to the old "We only have the rights to how the actors looked in the OT trilogy" rules, Han there is directly drawn from a specific shot in Return of the Jedi.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

He was supposed to be on vacation and made sure to point that out many times throughout.

I wish I’d grabbed hardcovers for some of the 90s EU stuff before fans started collecting them more and driving the prices up. They’re not horrible prices but $30-$40 for a book I already own in mass market paperback and on Audible is a bit much for me. Then there’s the Science Fiction Book Club omnibuses which combined trilogies or series together. Those are even more expensive, around $60-$70 for a good copy.

I kind of want to reread one of the crappier series this year just for shits and giggles. Like maybe the loose Callista trilogy.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Casimir Radon posted:

I kind of want to reread one of the crappier series this year just for shits and giggles. Like maybe the loose Callista trilogy.

I reread the Callista trilogy in 2020 as part of my endless (And still ongoing) march through the old EU and they’re all very mediocre. They have some moments here and there, but they really loving drag along at points (In the case of Children of the Jedi, almost literally, since Luke spends a lot of it with a broken leg or something).

That said, they aren’t the worst things from that era of the EU and I was able to at least finish them. I couldn’t get through The Crystal Star or The New Rebellion at all and gave up on both after a few chapters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The New Rebellion is kind of funny because a big subplot is that the New Republic passes an amnesty for former Imperials, which then leads to pro-Imperials forming a big faction in the New Republic Senate and threatening to split off, and then the New Republic leaders realizing that that was bad and shutting it down. One of the absolute worst 90s EU books and even in it it realizes that the political background for the sequel trilogy was incredibly dumb.

I think it's also that book that features a New Republic political faction called something like the New Separatists which in retrospect was really fortuitous, but I don't think any later author did anything with that after the prequels. Seems like something James Luceno would have been on top of.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fartknocker posted:

I reread the Callista trilogy in 2020 as part of my endless (And still ongoing) march through the old EU and they’re all very mediocre. They have some moments here and there, but they really loving drag along at points (In the case of Children of the Jedi, almost literally, since Luke spends a lot of it with a broken leg or something).

That said, they aren’t the worst things from that era of the EU and I was able to at least finish them. I couldn’t get through The Crystal Star or The New Rebellion at all and gave up on both after a few chapters.

Children of the Jedi is my personal least favorite Star Wars book. There are some that are technically worse like Crystal Star, but yeah, that book was such a haul to get through. And I think you're right, that Luke having the injured leg was a big part of it. Most of his chapters were just him bitching about his injury and how he wasn't at full strength, and it just wouldn't move on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chairman Capone posted:

The New Rebellion is kind of funny because a big subplot is that the New Republic passes an amnesty for former Imperials, which then leads to pro-Imperials forming a big faction in the New Republic Senate and threatening to split off, and then the New Republic leaders realizing that that was bad and shutting it down. One of the absolute worst 90s EU books and even in it it realizes that the political background for the sequel trilogy was incredibly dumb.

I think it's also that book that features a New Republic political faction called something like the New Separatists which in retrospect was really fortuitous, but I don't think any later author did anything with that after the prequels. Seems like something James Luceno would have been on top of.

I snuck a New Rebellion ref into new canon just for the sake of perversity

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

General Battuta posted:

I snuck a New Rebellion ref into new canon just for the sake of perversity

Including Haruun Kal means all is forgiven

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I remember flicking through that book when I found it in my college gaming society's lockers. Ended up sending me down the rabbithole of the West End Games book collecting. I am always tempted to try get my hands on 2nd ed, even though the changes seem pretty minimal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Children of the Jedi has a device that allows force users to control droids. Which is one of the dumber things the EU had to offer.

The New Rebellion was especially frustrating for me because Young Jedi Knights had built Brakkis up to be some big deal character. Then you find he’s a big nobody in the adult EU. Even in the book he’s most prominent in. I have to wonder if they were going to attempt to give him more to do at some point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Children of the Jedi has a device that allows force users to control droids. Which is one of the dumber things the EU had to offer.

The New Rebellion was especially frustrating for me because Young Jedi Knights had built Brakkis up to be some big deal character. Then you find he’s a big nobody in the adult EU. Even in the book he’s most prominent in. I have to wonder if they were going to attempt to give him more to do at some point.

That was one of the few things I liked about The New Rebellion. It's been literally over 25 years so apologies if I'm getting this wrong, but I remember Brakkis being built up as this big badass, and when he's taken out, they take off his mask and he's just some kid. Like, the message of the book is that the war is still taking in these kids, on both sides, and chewing them up. Sometimes they become heroes like Luke. Sometimes they're just loving killed and end up footnotes in history. Because war sucks, and is usually fought by kids. It almost feels anti-climactic, but I remember it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

brakkis's whole thing is that he's the ur-chump, just the lamest dude ever who still managed to be a threat to galactic peace or w/e because the dark side jacks you up that much