Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
When you run out of peasants there seems to be a dance where people get fired from jobs then rehired constantly. Not sure what is up with that. It seems to cause radicals. And some industries like motor industries seems to be particularly prone to it even though they are supposed to be profitable.

I get that they are trying to simulate a labor market but maybe tweak the firing/rehiring frequency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hryme posted:

When you run out of peasants there seems to be a dance where people get fired from jobs then rehired constantly. Not sure what is up with that. It seems to cause radicals. And some industries like motor industries seems to be particularly prone to it even though they are supposed to be profitable.

I get that they are trying to simulate a labor market but maybe tweak the firing/rehiring frequency?

Its an annoying feedback loop once you run out of peasants where an industry with vacancies will raise their wage to fill those spots, which causes workers to jump ship from another industry, which then raises their rates to fill their new vacancies... eventually a factory tips over to unprofitable in this endless cycle and fires some folks and they get mad about it. And yeah, motors are tough to make very profitably so their factories get hit by it pretty hard.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arrath posted:

Its an annoying feedback loop once you run out of peasants where an industry with vacancies will raise their wage to fill those spots, which causes workers to jump ship from another industry, which then raises their rates to fill their new vacancies... eventually a factory tips over to unprofitable in this endless cycle and fires some folks and they get mad about it. And yeah, motors are tough to make very profitably so their factories get hit by it pretty hard.

Sounds like you want 5% unemployment

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don't see a problem with decentralising African states if it improves the experience of the Scramble for Africa tbh

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Arrath posted:

It's really annoying, because it means whenever I'm expanding factories I need to manually calculate how many people that factory will employ at X size to make sure I don't run out of employable people, otherwise it starts the destructive wage spiral. It's made even more complicated by urban centers springing up and gobbling up additional people to produce services... if they're still profitable, at least. Which it may be in some states but not in others. Then you have the trade centers that constantly increase and shrink in size with fluctuating trade route levels.

Industries competing over limited labor is a logical idea in theory that works just horribly in practice in the current game. It sometimes also causes economic apocalypse in huge states when they take people from railroads, leading to massive infrastructure deficits that completely wreck every factory in that state.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BBJoey posted:

I don't see a problem with decentralising African states if it improves the experience of the Scramble for Africa tbh

Why would it do that, though?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Oh my, I think this was one of the best purchases this winter.

I have now played a small amount of tutorial Sweden and then just took over a sandbox Grand Duchy of Finland, with the goal of either making it the richest place in the entire Russian Empire or maybe gaining independence.

The year is 1860ish and Finland has an average standard of living of 20.1 and population of over 4 million, which is over double of the starting number.

For the latest election the interest groups formed only a single Progress Party, with nearly all of the groups either in the party or wanting to join it. The 99 legitimacy goverment quickly passes both total separation of church and state and multiculturalism.

Projected immigtation for the following year is over 200k, plus a super good birth rate.

There's soon no more room for ports on the coast.

Welfare for the poor in the entire nation is like £100 a week.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gort posted:

Why would it do that, though?

It means you can’t just declare war on the countries there to snipe prime real estate except through raising tension with the decentralised nations, which is even more relevant with their Berlin Conference mechanics and the Return State diplo play it grants for basically free wars in Africa. It’s not a default game rule anyway. I wouldn’t be shocked if he was a piece of poo poo but this doesn’t ruin the pack for me yet.

They also made Argentina default obsessed with meat yesterday, which is pretty funny

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2880130916&searchtext=cloud

This provides a small performance boost on both the laptop and desktop, and makes the map look better to boot

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They also made Argentina default obsessed with meat yesterday, which is pretty funny

Are Russians obsessed with booze?

Also it continues to bug me asians don't drink tea until SoL 17.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Media industries already have precedent in game, the film industry is a PM option for the Fine Arts academy and is staffed by Academics

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Novelists down at that writer factory, critical to fueling the russian population's obsession: existential dread

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Novelists down at that writer factory, critical to fueling the russian population's obsession: existential dread

You write sixteen pages, what do you get?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hellioning posted:

Egypt, famously decentralized.

Glad(?) to see that the Great Rework's developer is exactly the kind of person I thought they were.

Dude is a confirmed piece of poo poo, but I went and actually looked at it and the option specifically excludes the north, south, and Ethiopia, in addition to also having an "everyone in Africa is playable" option. We don't gotta make things up to know a certain percentage of paradox modders are nazis.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol cars and telephones are what kills services demand, another win for anti-car gang

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrath posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like buildings are too eager to have full employment, and they aren't checking for if they'll still be profitable after hiring new employees.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like a big thing in Vicky 3 is that peasants are a bit too eager to convert to other pop types. It turns them into a massive untapped labour pool and makes the entire concept of competition over labour into an exclusively late-game problem that hits all at once instead of something that is present the entire time and develops more gradually.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
whoops wrong thread

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like buildings are too eager to have full employment, and they aren't checking for if they'll still be profitable after hiring new employees.

that is, I believe, because it is supposed to be the players job to notice when an industry's full employment is unprofitable, and scale back production to drive the price of good up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

karmicknight posted:

that is, I believe, because it is supposed to be the players job to notice when an industry's full employment is unprofitable, and scale back production to drive the price of good up.

Okay but what if I am literally incapable of hitting that '-' button on an industry unless I'm out of arable land and I'm rebalancing my crop production.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Restart-itis rules, Mexico looks like a nice balance between having so much potential and it being kinda a pain to get there. Helps when the us has a liberal uprising and their opinion of me resets to +50 before they do manifest destiny on me

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Can I say that it's loving stupid that malaria is a hard cap on colonization when you come from a country that already has loving malaria.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Arrath posted:

Okay but what if I am literally incapable of hitting that '-' button on an industry unless I'm out of arable land and I'm rebalancing my crop production.

skill issue

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

THE MARCH OF INDUSTRY ONLY GOES FORWARD

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arrath posted:

THE MARCH OF INDUSTRY ONLY GOES FORWARD

The solution to oversupply is more demand. The solution to too much demand is more supply. Number must go up!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

karmicknight posted:

Unfortunately it's not very easy to notice this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

game still seems pretty buggy, tried out ethiopia for some fighting and man the automatic fronts really suck, my army kept encircling itself while the game was like "warning this front looks bad" yeah no poo poo lol

i did win the battles then the final guy just wouldnt capitulate or accept white peace even though id totally occupied him and he was at +1000 peace acceptance

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
War is extremely bad in this game. Kind of hoping for a stellaris situation where there's a radical revision of mechanics in a later patch

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Communist Thoughts posted:

i did win the battles then the final guy just wouldnt capitulate or accept white peace even though id totally occupied him and he was at +1000 peace acceptance

There's a bug in situations like that where they appear to not accept peace even though their peace acceptance is positive, you can fix it by resetting terms to white peace and then re-adding the peace terms, and they should accept it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anbeeld's AI mod makes the AI players so much better at the game but the game runs so much slower. Hopefully the devs can move his changes from his script into the actual AI code so we can get the best of both worlds.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gort posted:

Anbeeld's AI mod makes the AI players so much better at the game but the game runs so much slower. Hopefully the devs can move his changes from his script into the actual AI code so we can get the best of both worlds.

It's also so convenient for running your own country at the same time, especially once your construction queue starts getting past 10,000 or so. Just keeping that maintenance up of building a smattering of buildings as needed without needing to have the player go in and do all of that manually every few minutes.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pakled posted:

There's a bug in situations like that where they appear to not accept peace even though their peace acceptance is positive, you can fix it by resetting terms to white peace and then re-adding the peace terms, and they should accept it.

thanks i think that should have fixed it but for some reason my war support dropped to 0 and i was forced to capitulate to the guy i was fully occupying??

god this front system is SO bad. its impossible to fight a war properly. my main army is just constantly toggling between two fronts and every time they try to invade they let the enemy slip round and just invade my whole country uncontested, so i have to send them to that front and it repeats cause i cant encircle or destroy divisions. fighting this one country has 3 loving fronts and the whole time im losing warscore to them despite them taking way more losses than me and 10x as much economic damage

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

As a heads up, divisions that are either unassigned to any general, or are assigned to a general at home will fight defensively in battles in their region. That'll probably help you - you can set one general to wait, while the other general goes on the offensive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like the idea of the war system but I feel like there are too many situations where a front gets split into a thousand tiny fronts and also too many situations where one enormous front spans way too much territory, especially in like, wars between Russia and China or between the US and Canada.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Frontlines across multiple allied countries seems like such a basic thing I'm baffled it isn't in.

All quiet on the belgian front. The luxembourgeois front is nasty, however, the french front is a bloodbath, and we haven't heard from the british front in three days. There is a brazilian front now, right there near Liège. We've given up on trying to make sense of this poo poo, Herr General.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Pakled posted:

I like the idea of the war system but I feel like there are too many situations where a front gets split into a thousand tiny fronts and also too many situations where one enormous front spans way too much territory, especially in like, wars between Russia and China or between the US and Canada.

I suppose the alternative is splitting fronts of a certain size and combining fronts that are below a certain size and within a defined geographical area?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Oh god, don't remind me of the shitshow that is invading the EIC and its insane puppet network.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like a big thing in Vicky 3 is that peasants are a bit too eager to convert to other pop types. It turns them into a massive untapped labour pool and makes the entire concept of competition over labour into an exclusively late-game problem that hits all at once instead of something that is present the entire time and develops more gradually.

Peasents are way too eager to leave the land, but the SoL in cities is way too high, it should be lower than peasants.

On the other hand, at least for europe, competition over labour wasn't a big deal, like at all. (also it should be less and less a problem as the game goes on and we get automation PMs, there's a reason the service economy happens.)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The more I play this, the more I get a feeling of the game being released way earlier than the devs themselves actually would have liked. A lot of the mechanics feel like... if not a proof of concept, definitely like something that was obviously bare-bones and needed a make-over, but there was simply no time to do so before release. I mean the devs aren't dumb; it's not like they didn't already know of a lot of the obvious shortcomings in some of the systems, but time and resources are finite and the game had to release at some point even if it wasn't in the state they would have liked it to. There's tons of stuff and systems that there were obviously big ideas for, but that never got fleshed out properly before release, like all the decisions in the journal.

But hell, I can't complain, I got hundreds of hours out of it even in its current state, and looking at the glow-up Stellaris went through I'm pretty optimistic about the future of the game. I really wish they'd hotfix the AI deleting all its ports and destroying its economy though; I actually miss the UK and France being actual threats, as well as Qing actually making it to GP status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Jokes about journalists aside, one thing I like about “The great rework” mod, and that I realize that miss from V2, is building forts. Not that they did so much for the actual warfare gameplay but it felt nice to strengthen your borders and added some kind of flavor to your country.