Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

i am harry posted:

Got an email about after school creative stuff for my kids and one of the lines read:

“According to the department of labor, 65% of current students will grow up to be employed in careers that have yet to be invented.”

And I just lmaoed :cripes:

Future-mill gonna need grist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

Got an email about after school creative stuff for my kids and one of the lines read:

“According to the department of labor, 65% of current students will grow up to be employed in careers that have yet to be invented.”

Big "carbon capture will magically save us from climate change" energy perhaps

Uhhh nobody worry about it OK

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
drone therapist

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i cant wait for the future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGntZCCGkLk&t=108s

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Butthole sharpener

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Transcendental parapsycholophile

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Cybercum curator

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Fart Detective

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Pod construction

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol wonder why https://twitter.com/npr/status/1611169943663288334

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Big "carbon capture will magically save us from climate change" energy perhaps

Uhhh nobody worry about it OK

just run all the power plants in reverse for 300 years

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

i am harry posted:

I don't think you understand (or shamefully doubting) what the future's "man made horrors beyond human comprehension" entail for employment

2053. Timmy, age 18. First day as a teladreno-chain intern.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nightcafe/comments/vd5wn5/man_made_horrors_beyond_your_comprehension/

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

Cybercum curator

already exists in the FTX island compound to my understanding

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"Some of you will be delivery people for apps that don't exist yet. Others will do jobs that exist now, but at home and with a VR headset on at all times."

No they'll be forced to spend 2 hours a day commuting to a glorified chicken coop and that's where they'll wear the VR headset they could have easily worn at home. Occasionally a robot will trundle along on tracks and use an extensible cattle prod on anyone not waving their arms enough per minute.

Workers to supply their own straw for any bathroom breaks.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DancingShade posted:

No they'll be forced to spend 2 hours a day commuting to a glorified chicken coop and that's where they'll wear the VR headset they could have easily worn at home. Occasionally a robot will trundle along on tracks and use an extensible cattle prod on anyone not waving their arms enough per minute.

Workers to supply their own straw for any bathroom breaks.

VR helmet call centers

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

philosophers suck

As a graduate of the field, I agree.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

what happens if the debt ceiling crisis comes to a head this year and the US defaults on its debt

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

im gonna jizz everywhere

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Wait until they realise education =/= intelligence.

No wait, they won't.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
can't bang hot coeds and do greek stuff in trade school

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

actionjackson posted:

do you really think she goes into supermarkets lol

Carli b? More like George santos!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

RealityWarCriminal posted:

You can always do Greek stuff with your bros.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Always.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

thiel donor

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meet The Spy Tech Companies Helping Landlords Evict People

quote:

“You CAN raise rents in NYC!” reads the headline of one promotional email sent to landlords. It was a sales pitch from Teman, a tech company that makes surveillance systems for apartment buildings.

Teman’s sales pitch proposes a solution to a frustration for many New York City landlords, who have tenants living in older apartments that are protected by a myriad of rent control and stabilization laws. The company’s email suggests a workaround: “3 Simple Steps to Re-Regulate a Unit.” First, use one of Teman’s automated products to catch a tenant breaking a law or violating their lease, such as by having unapproved subletters or loud parties. Then, “vacate” them and merge their former apartment with one next door or above or below, creating a “new” unit that’s not eligible for rent protections. “Combine a $950/mo studio and $1400/mo one-bedroom into a $4200/mo DEREGULATED two-bedroom,” the email enticed. 

Teman’s surveillance systems can even “help you identify which units are most-likely open to moving out (or being evicted!).”

As told by its founder, the origin story for Teman goes like this: Ari Teman, author, painter, entrepreneur, and stand-up comedian, rented out his Chelsea apartment on Airbnb. He returned to find an orgy of naked “overweight” people who caused $67,000 in damage, including mystery liquids on his furniture. It was a small viral story in 2014. The Airbnb renter denied Teman’s account in an interview with the New York Post. 

Inspired, Teman partnered with Israeli makers of “advanced military technology and artificial intelligence” to create a surveillance system to spot unauthorized entrants. The company’s suite of products includes GateGuard, a “virtual concierge doorman” that can use facial recognition as an entry key, and “SubletSpy,” which uses much of the same backend technology to “catch, monitor [and] evict short term [sic] sublets like Airbnb,” according to the company’s website. In 2019, Teman stated that its technology is in use in 1,000 buildings.

In his appeals to landlords, Teman has broadened the scope of tenants targetable through his products. In a 2018 LinkedIn post, the possibly eviction-worthy activities detected included “subletting,” “living elsewhere most of the year,” “hav[ing] too many occupants” and “hosting parties or businesses.”

He has explicitly suggested surveilling rent-stabilized apartments. “We have EVICTED OVER 600 STABILIZED TENANTS in the last 2 years,” the same post stated.

He also claims facial recognition can prevent inheritance claims, in which some rent protections are passed to family members who lived with a tenant. “That old lady might be gone in a few years,” Teman wrote, “but if you cannot prove her grandkid didn’t live with her, he’ll get the apartment and its $600 rent!”

lmao so much to unpack

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heroes of the people.

Surely it's easier to just hire Slick Jimmy and his street punk gang crew from a 1970s B-movie to evict your tenants. Just give them a boom-box and a carton of beers, it'll be Death Wish before you know it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

guilloitine

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

critical support for SubletSpy

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People can use what they want but insisting that Apple stuff is overpriced in 2022 when the market has homogenized and Apple offers stuff across the same price spectrum as any other manufacturer is silly.

Huh. Really dropped the veil on that one.

What an idiot

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hell yeah, my hourly rate just went up

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
all i hear is how this and that critical workforce is aging out or losing members with nobody to replace them .. nursing, accounting, construction/tradeswork. Is e veryone signing up to develop fart apps or w/e?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

all i hear is how this and that critical workforce is aging out or losing members with nobody to replace them .. nursing, accounting, construction/tradeswork. Is e veryone signing up to develop fart apps or w/e?

When you raise your kids on YouTube, what did you think was gonna happen after they all wanted to become an influencer?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

RealityWarCriminal posted:

not according to my older coworkers

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Everyone is aging out/dying in literally every industry. I don't think there's any career you can name where there aren't people claiming that there's a shortage of workers right now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/barnabychuck/status/1611263245448544256

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
No one wants to crime anymore

https://twitter.com/jerryiannelli/status/1611082774206910464

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Everyone is aging out/dying in literally every industry. I don't think there's any career you can name where there aren't people claiming that there's a shortage of workers right now.

Tech/software development? I assume, just going off the widespread layoffs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Tech/software development? I assume, just going off the widespread layoffs

I just got a 50% increase to my hourly rate because one of my clients hasn't been able to hire any developers with the proper (healthcare-related) qualifications in like six months. I dunno what's going on with those layoffs, but those SV people seem to be landing on their feet somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Are people supposed to be hyped about breaking their bodies for $48k a year? What am I missing...