Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Revengers is the kind of show where you immediately know who will stick around based on how historically accurate their appearance is. Never shave the top of your head if you want to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Somehow overlooked that Misfit of Demon Academy had its S2 this round.

Nagatoro, Bofuri, Anos. A good season for light fun stuff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Anos

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

anos

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Not to say that manga authors have it easy, but as far as adaptations go they're usually under a lot less production and corporate pressure than anime from what I've seen. There's plenty of them that are very clearly colored by the author's narrative and visual style while a lot of anime stick close to their source material and its illustrations even when they can't get said illustrator on the anime or even emulate them very well.

Mmmaybe, but the differences are so frequent and substantial (and show up so early) that this doesn't quite feel like an adequate explanation. Either one version took absolutely massive liberties with the source material, or they both diverged from it in completely opposite directions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

for me to poop from

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Northern War starting out with 10 minutes of characters doing 'as you know' setting exploration not a good sign lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Buddy Daddies

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

i've spent most of my life looking for a show where a lady sings the words 'buddy daddies' while jazzy music plays during the title card, and i finally found one.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
gonna echo the sentiment that magical revolution was great. i like that the main girl is just chisato from lycoris recoil

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Big Leg posted:

gonna echo the sentiment that magical revolution was great. i like that the main girl is just chisato from lycoris recoil

"Chisato but magic" is a hell of a pitch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tsunlise (the Endo and Kobayashi's Commentary on the Villainess) anime good. A decent step up from the manga that better presents all of the stuff that shows up later but should've been present earlier like the other love interests in the otome game, (apparently) the other club members, and the mystery in reality. I assume it's gonna run past the manga based on how much is being set up but I'm not sure exactly if they'll get to the end based on how much there is in the series.

Also, now I have to rethink about all of the scenes with commentary and how they're percieving everything through the game UI. They're not literally seeing what we're seeing, but instead, it's just text boxes and CGs on a background.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Omnicrom posted:

"Chisato but magic" is a hell of a pitch.

I’d give that idea guy a raise for sure

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Xelkelvos posted:

Tsunlise (the Endo and Kobayashi's Commentary on the Villainess) anime good. A decent step up from the manga that better presents all of the stuff that shows up later but should've been present earlier like the other love interests in the otome game, (apparently) the other club members, and the mystery in reality. I assume it's gonna run past the manga based on how much is being set up but I'm not sure exactly if they'll get to the end based on how much there is in the series.

Also, now I have to rethink about all of the scenes with commentary and how they're percieving everything through the game UI. They're not literally seeing what we're seeing, but instead, it's just text boxes and CGs on a background.

I assume the thing at the end was what people were referencing when they said it is a secret isekai.

I've tried to read the manga a couple of times but got incredibly bored with it afer a dozen or so chapters and gave up.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

This was the post that made me give it a shot after all the other positive posts about it and it's easily my favorite thing I've watched this season. It looks good and the main character's chaos energy interacting with all the palace intrigue was very fun. Definitely on the watch list now.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

i like that the main girl is just chisato from lycoris recoil

Southern Cassowary posted:

This was the post that made me give it a shot after all the other positive posts about it and it's easily my favorite thing I've watched this season. It looks good and the main character's chaos energy interacting with all the palace intrigue was very fun. Definitely on the watch list now.

You have my attention.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Big Leg posted:

Suddenly I'm interested

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Buddy Daddies was kinda meh. It's probably fine but comparing it against SxF makes it come off much more poorly.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It sounds like its more similar to Three Men and a Baby then Spy X Family.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I haven't watched SxF but I have read it so I'll probably be comparing Buddy Daddies to Akiba Maid War which was PA Work's show last season.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It comes off Vastly worse in comparison to Maid War.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

it seems Perfectly Fine. the daughter is a little too one note saccharine, which might be the killer, but it looks really nice and the action is good. pa works knows how to do it

i also dont think sxf is the right comparison necessarily but the writing on anya is definitely a big part of why that works, hopefully they give her something to work eith

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anya sucks :twisted:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I had no such expectations so if it can clear the bar of like Tiger and Bunny, it's fine.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

buddy daddies is going to be exactly like tiger and bunny in that its going to make everyone who wants the leads to kiss very mad

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

maid war maybe actually the better comparison with how it builds to a funny and darkly ironic action setpiece. i thought it was good! i do not expect it to be anything like maid war beyond that though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

lol ok Buddy Daddies got a laugh out of me by revealing that he actually was her dad.

I think this should be a good series. Pretty good action and animation even without Cygames money, the character dynamic is classic but fun and I look forward to seeing what heists these 3 doofuses get up to in the next few episodes.

Edit: oh wait no Kazuki and the guy they killed just look really similar.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 7, 2023

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

lol ok Buddy Daddies got a laugh out of me by revealing that he actually was her dad.

thats what i thought too but the guy in the picture is the guy they killed. they just look nearly identical

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Which is stupid as hell because why would you design your characters so audiences could be confused about this point, and also why would you cut from the photo to a similar looking character's face while playing a comedic sting.

Funniest part of the episode was the partner guy going "I've got a shot through the kid"

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Fangz posted:

Which is stupid as hell because why would you design your characters so audiences could be confused about this point, and also why would you cut from the photo to a similar looking character's face while playing a comedic sting.

Funniest part of the episode was the partner guy going "I've got a shot through the kid"

the way the black haired buddy daddy angrily rappels down the hotel at the end was my favorite part. i don't think buddy daddies will touch the highs akiba maid wars did, but it was still competently made and charming. i liked it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fangz posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes up as a plot point later that they do look so similar. Someone mistakes Kazuki as the dead dude himself? Who knows.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

studio mujahideen posted:

it seems Perfectly Fine. the daughter is a little too one note saccharine, which might be the killer, but it looks really nice and the action is good. pa works knows how to do it

i also dont think sxf is the right comparison necessarily but the writing on anya is definitely a big part of why that works, hopefully they give her something to work eith

i think that the daughter is probably going to look cute and set up wacky situations instead of being a real main character like anya, although i could be wrong. both of the buddy daddies seem more interesting than loid at least

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How dare you, Loid rules

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Loid doesn't play tactical RPGs like assassin dude (do they ever mention his name?) does though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the show does do a really good job of establishing their characters and living dynamics without a bunch of dialogue, which is promising. the little insult back and forth is all it needs

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san: I have high hopes for this one. As the popular saying goes, tsunderes are cute in anime but they'd piss you right the hell off IRL. Well, same goes for those in anime for me. The premise of gamers being revered as gods loving with the tsundere in a good way whilst doing a sub-plot romance that actually seems promising has me on board.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Inukai-san's Dog: The other cultural anime of the season, but in first person. This means low angle shots, lots of it. Too bad the dog's rarely shown on the screen even though the dog is cute.

Iceblade Sorcerer: It's the mediocre fantasy anime of the season. All the cliche of magic academy are there. The seemingly ordinary MC who everyone looked down on because he's Ordinary (that word Ordinary in english is treated as if it's taboo) is actually secretly OP, an obnoxious rich brat develops irrational hatred on the MC just because he's Ordinary, MC eventually gains the companion of mostly girls (he does have a male best friend). Also, the anime is fast paced with the episode quickly moving from scene to scene, it's heavy on exposition dump regarding the setting and magic mechanic, and the MC gets introduced to one character after another. This is usually not a good thing.

The only positive aspect I can say is the female MC is surprisingly nice and humble despite her prestigious position when usually her character archetype is very prideful.

Nijiyon Animation: HITORI DAKE NANTE ERABENAI YO!!! (I can't choose just one!!!)

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale: Don't think for a moment that this anime is sunshine and rainbow just because of its saccharine title. Fairy slavery is on the front and center of the setting (I actually didn't expect that and was caught off-guard as it clashes with the pastel colored artstyle). Everyone hates slavery right? Especially in isekais. So, what if the role is reversed? The female MC ended up buying a brooding, tall, handsome, and dark haired warrior fairy to be her bodyguard for her quest. Unfortunately. The fairy is very distrustful of human after being enslaved for decades. Can the two MC develops their relationship from Master-Slave into something more positive?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Sugar Apple Fairy Tale: Don't think for a moment that this anime is sunshine and rainbow just because of its saccharine title. Fairy slavery is on the front and center of the setting (I actually didn't expect that and was caught off-guard as it clashes with the pastel colored artstyle). Everyone hates slavery right? Especially in isekais. So, what if the role is reversed? The female MC ended up buying a brooding, tall, handsome, and dark haired warrior fairy to be her bodyguard for her quest. Unfortunately. The fairy is very distrustful of human after being enslaved for decades. Can the two MC develops their relationship from Master-Slave into something more positive?
This will probably get interesting fast since the fairy pretty obviously could've just killed her while she was sleeping.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I read the first couple of chapters of the Iceblade Sorcerer manga, and it seemed like a bland but pleasant story about a mildly traumatised ex-child soldier going to school to get a bit of his childhood back. It also had a pleasingly good face game. Then I watched the first episode of the anime, expecting it to be much the same. It, erm, wasn't. It's got the same general structure and plot beats, but either the manga adapted the hell out of the original light novel or the anime completely butchered it, because every adaptation decision regarding pacing, event structuring, aesthetic choices, and so on was drastically different and drastically worse. Like, it didn't even feel like they were squeezing chapters together to churn out content fast - it was the same stuff presented in vastly divergent ways.

As an example, here's the class teacher's introduction in the manga, and here's the same scene in the anime. Yes, these are apparently the same character:

Also, look at the compositing between the background of that anime screenshot and the character in the foreground, ew ew ew. It's really not a pretty show.

It's like the Misato Shinji's classmates fantasize about versus the Misato who's leaving beer cans all over the apartment, only they don't even look the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

studio mujahideen posted:

buddy daddies is going to be exactly like tiger and bunny in that its going to make everyone who wants the leads to kiss very mad

There were people who got mad over tiger and bunny??