Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That is a very good name. Email that idea to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Read the new secret novel last night, really enjoyed it. Would probably make a good young adult on-ramp to Sanderson but you’d need to check with a new reader to be sure.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Tress through completion.

Really enjoyed this. Having Hoid’s point of view was a nice change, and Brandon’s postscript goes into this a little bit. Thought it was very interesting that the people on this planet think of a man with steel eyes as death too. I looked on copper mind and it seems that we’ve seen the sorceress before, in the secret history. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
TOTES full spoilers…ish
I hate that Brandon so easily makes me want to experiment with his magic systems as much as some of his characters. Tress realizes that Steel “pushes” the aether away and Iron “pulls” it and then never touches that again for the rest of the book. Dive deeper, woman! Would coating your ship in steel stop the crimson spikes from hitting you if they got rained on? What if you made the cannonballs out of steel? Would the zephyr explosions cause the cannonball to be pushed way faster than just a regular explosion? Or does the steel/iron only work with one type of aether?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The authorial voice in Secret Project #1 gives me major Alcatraz vibes. Especially all the insults against writers.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Secret project #1 was good

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Literally the minor-est of spoilers for Tress, about a quarter of the way through: At the start of chapter 24, Hoid refers to himself as a Worldbringer. Is that a typo? Sigzil has always referred to himself and Hoid as Worldsingers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Literally the minor-est of spoilers for Tress, about a quarter of the way through: At the start of chapter 24, Hoid refers to himself as a Worldbringer. Is that a typo? Sigzil has always referred to himself and Hoid as Worldsingers.

Probably. He talks about a group very much like the Worldsingers Sigzil described, and not that much like the Scadrian Worldbringers.

That said, Brandon said the similarity of both organization's names is not an accident. So there's a chance that this is not a typo. But I think that's rather unlikely.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Enjoyed secret project and liked that the (ending spoilers and wider Cosmere speculation) Sorceress was an Elantrian who also had access to other forms of Investiture, and very high level ones in the case of her Breath capabilities, making her strong enough that even Hoid wasn't entirely sure he'd win if he had to actually fight her. Though the fact her tower was a rocket also calls into question when exactly this story is taking place. Because nobody has spaceflight or interstellar travel techonology (excluding Shadesmar usage) when Stormlight takes place so it seems like this happens well after that point in time. The way he describes some of the high tech stuff to his audience sounds like he's explaining the story to a First Contact civilization... like the people in Sixth of Dusk.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Mid-Tress prediction, and I'll eat one of Tress' cups if I'm wrong: Huck is Charlie. It became blindingly obvious when he used his ability to talk incessantly about every last small thing he'd seen while ashore to calm her down, and in retrospect there were hints: Huck repeatedly mentions his family in disparaging terms and says they cut him loose, and narrator-Hoid offhandedly mentions that in stories like this, maidens tend to discover that they've had the thing they were questing for all along.

And a guess that I'm not sure enough about to make another facetious bet over: I wonder if marrying Huck isn't how Tress breaks the curse to turn him back into Charlie? It was Huck himself who told Tress that the Sorceress' curses have a fixed shape, and you can find how to break them just by noting what the cursed individual talks about and what they can't talk about, and he keeps on bringing up his family but rapidly descends into nonsense when questioned about them in detail. So family is key to breaking the curse, and therefore if Tress becomes his family, she qualifies, and the Sorceress is established to love ironic curses so "you came to marry me, huh? okay, rat forever until you can get someone to marry you" would fit nicely with that, and also it's a lovely way to justify a fairy tale cliche.

The only thing I'm really wondering about, assuming I'm right about all that, is how Huck got on the one ship that Tress coincidentally stowed away on -- that's a hell of a lucky break. But I assume it'll be explained.

There are some Cosmere things I've noticed and want to talk about, but am gonna save it for when I'm done so I don't have to fear spoilers.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cosmere spoiler for SP1, taking from the cosmere subreddit so not my original theory:
The Luhel bond trades physical attributes, in this case water. It’s very similar to how Lift needs to trade food for investiture.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
SP1 spoilers for the whole book:

I'm not sure about the mechanics of Hoid becoming an elantrian work out... was kind of glossed over. He made some bet and won and got the powers... but.. how?

General impression, I liked this story a lot apart from a few small things. It made sense as a story being told and all the characters were well realised. Was also nice to see another person in the cosmere trying to collect all the powers though. I thought that was a good counterpoint to hoid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

There's old WoB that he's a feruchemist (may or may not still be canon) so he's possibly one of the OG worldbringers.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I got The Lost Metal on publication day, read the first chapter, and realized I didn't remember anything about Mistborn.

So, I've spent the last two months re-reading the entire series. I think I enjoyed everything even more the second time. I definitely had a couple of the huge beats tucked away in the ol' brainbox, but I had forgotten so many of the details of how the story developed. This would be a massive wall of black text I laid out all of my thoughts on every single book, but my "brief" summary:

Mistborn Era 1: I had forgotten how loving DARK The Final Empire is. The whole setting is painfully bleak, especially when contrasted with the future of Scadrial. The subjugation of the skaa is so utterly ruthless. I also appreciated the storyline with Zane much more on a re-read. I had initially dismissed a good deal of his scenes as an unnecessary love triangle, but knowing how his actions are so driven by Ruin made their interactions much more interesting. Oddly, I thought the first half The Hero of Ages was more a slog than the first half The Well of Ascension. Maybe it's because I already knew the big twists about the caverns and the koloss, and so it all just felt like a huge buildup the Catacendre. Despite that, the last 75 pages are still agonizing and beautiful and perfect.

Mistborn Era 2: Some small part of me wishes that The Alloy of Law could've just been a one-off novella. As much as I liked getting to know Wayne and Marasi and Steris more, it was so much goddamn fun to just enjoy a straightforward cops-and-robbers fantasy heist. Just a great book -- I finished it in like, two days. Shadows of Self I had COMPLETELY forgotten. Like, I'm vaguely aware that I read it, but it it was not memorable in any way. I had forgotten the vast majority of the plot related to the various religious factions, and I really didn't find myself invested in the mystery. I guess it's telling that I was just as surprised on the second read that Lessie was a kandra the entire time. The biggest shock of the novel, and it just didn't stick with me at all. Weird. The Bands of Mourning felt more monumental, especially bringing in the South Scadrians the twists on allomancy that came with their arrival. Another novel with an amazing ending, and it features the very best of Steris.

The Lost Metal: I'm clearly in the minority, but this just didn't really click with me with the exception of a few scenes. I absolutely loved the fights with Not-Wax and Not-Wayne -- it's a ridiculous gimmick but it totally worked for me, and the final battle was phenomenal. I liked the narrative arc for Wax and his acceptance, and his final release, from the influence of God/Harmony was excellently done. And of course, Wayne's final scenes are among the best pieces that Sanderson has ever written.

TLM and the Cosmere in general: I think I'm just steadily...not becoming Sanderson's audience? He's built up these two incredible worlds on Scadrial and Roshar, along with everything else that makes up the Cosmere. But, I'm not interested in The Ghostbloods at all. It feels very much like some weird attempt at The X-Men / The Avengers with everyone with their cool superpowers coming together for, uh, some reason? Maybe I need a Secret History 2 to explain to me how a cognitive shadow gets Invested by a single Spike and within a very short period of time, he's running a multiplanetary secret guild with deep inroads into the highest levels of society on multiple planets, despite regaining close to none of the powers he had as a Mistborn. I get that Sanderson wants to make Kelsier his overarching character and that Hoid needs a counterpart/antagonist. It's just falling real flat for me at this point. The scenes where characters had to explain how their Investitures worked felt like all of the worst parts of Rhythm of War to me.

Last thought that is barely a spoiler, so I'm leaving it out: We get to see so much cool stuff with the Metallic Arts throughout Era 2, but man, it bummed me out that there so few Twinborn characters. There was so much potential to be shown with interesting combinations or with interesting Compounding. Like, why did we never get to see someone using a Chromium band to be outrageously Lucky during a fight? Or a dramatic rescue with Cadmium saving Breath?

Edit: Ok, last real thought and apparently there are many Reddit discussions on this already. But! Are we supposed to know what happened to (TLM spoilers) the Bands of Mourning? It seems like should've been a monumental discovery that they were drained, but it got glossed over within half a chapter, and then they gently caress off to South Scadrial.

Sorry for all the black bands!

Aggro fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 10, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Some stuff is being saved for the next 6+ books

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I've assumed all along that anything that looks like a dangling hook from Era 2 is intended as setup, or explanation, for stuff that will have happened by, or will happen in, Era 3. For example, by Era 3 it could be just a known thing that the southern continent got the bands of mourning long ago and did something with them and now they've had some specific advantage for a century other than hot chocolate! - so seeing how the southern Scadrians got it is something we see here, instead of it being an off-screen noodle incident.

Same deal with all the money Wayne left to the daughter of his victim. That's gotta result in something down the line...

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
And also with Wax being a Mistborn now since we know he can pass it down to his children were he to have more. And because he’s realized what happened by the end so he can recreate the experiment.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sanderson's latest newsletter has a link to the white sands download in the intro - it's a docx

lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding Ghost Kelseir's position at the head of a huge shadowy organization, The Last Empire makes it clear that Kelseir's original success as a thief had nothing to do with magical power. He was the apex predator of the Scadriel underground purely due to his leadership qualities.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Well that and all the violence

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stramit posted:

SP1 spoilers for the whole book:

I'm not sure about the mechanics of Hoid becoming an elantrian work out... was kind of glossed over. He made some bet and won and got the powers... but.. how?

I'd imagine it's along the lines of Elantrians being tied to Dominion which is why they can add someone to their "group" as Hoid put it. He gets the powers because an Elantrian uses their abilities to effectively tell the cosmere "this person is also one of us."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My guess for Hoid's endgame spoilers in Tress of the Emerald Sea: The curse erased his sense of self and what not? It probably messed with his Identity/Connection to the point that it allowed the raod to perceive him as acceptable recipient for the change. And the map of the world the witch had in her tower was probably an amplifier in the same way Elantris itself was.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 14, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Enjoyed secret project and liked that the (ending spoilers and wider Cosmere speculation) Sorceress was an Elantrian who also had access to other forms of Investiture, and very high level ones in the case of her Breath capabilities, making her strong enough that even Hoid wasn't entirely sure he'd win if he had to actually fight her. Though the fact her tower was a rocket also calls into question when exactly this story is taking place. Because nobody has spaceflight or interstellar travel techonology (excluding Shadesmar usage) when Stormlight takes place so it seems like this happens well after that point in time. The way he describes some of the high tech stuff to his audience sounds like he's explaining the story to a First Contact civilization... like the people in Sixth of Dusk.

Depending on how wide-ranging Sanderson's cosm/multiverse is, consider that The Reckoners series takes place in a modern world with the possibility of supergenius as an Epic superpower

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Everyone posted:

Depending on how wide-ranging Sanderson's cosm/multiverse is, consider that The Reckoners series takes place in a modern world with the possibility of supergenius as an Epic superpower

Sanderson has said that any story of his that takes place on any variety of Earth (up to and including Skyward, I believe) is not part of the Cosmere.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sanderson has 3 universes right now: Cosmere, Reckoners, and the Cytoverse (Skyward, Skyward Flight and Defending Elysium).

At least, I'm reasonably sure the Reckoners universe is a separate universe to the Cytoverse, though an overlap isn't out of the question given the hints at Core Possibilities in the later Reckoner books.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

Sanderson has 3 universes right now: Cosmere, Reckoners, and the Cytoverse (Skyward, Skyward Flight and Defending Elysium).

At least, I'm reasonably sure the Reckoners universe is a separate universe to the Cytoverse, though an overlap isn't out of the question given the hints at Core Possibilities in the later Reckoner books.

Sure, but Megan/Firefight has the ability to travel between universes and take a few people with her. If Sanderson later decides, "gently caress it, Imma do my own Dark Tower thing" he can easily justify it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Everyone posted:

Sure, but Megan/Firefight has the ability to travel between universes and take a few people with her. If Sanderson later decides, "gently caress it, Imma do my own Dark Tower thing" he can easily justify it.

i am hoping by the time brandon is like 75 we'll get like a robot with kaladin's consciousness and wax's great granddaughter travelling to earth to kill brandon sanderson

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

i am hoping by the time brandon is like 75 we'll get like a robot with kaladin's consciousness and wax's great granddaughter travelling to earth to kill brandon sanderson

See, you think that now, but I recommend that you refresh your memory of when Stephen King put himself as a character within the Dark Tower and ask yourself "Do I really want to read that from Brandon Sanderson?"

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Everyone posted:

He could but imo the gimmick wouldn't be worth the contortion. His last two releases (The Lost Metal and Tress of the Emerald Sea) were pretty indulgent with the crossovers and while one part of me enjoyed that collision, another part of me disliked it.

I have a feeling that if I had read those as a reader who didn't know anything about the Cosmere I wouldn't have cared about those crossover characters. Mainly because the sole extent of my care factor being someone who is clued in while reading these last two books was "oh, this is a world hopper from [insert planet here], that's cool I guess".

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leng posted:

He could but imo the gimmick wouldn't be worth the contortion. His last two releases (The Lost Metal and Tress of the Emerald Sea) were pretty indulgent with the crossovers and while one part of me enjoyed that collision, another part of me disliked it.

I have a feeling that if I had read those as a reader who didn't know anything about the Cosmere I wouldn't have cared about those crossover characters. Mainly because the sole extent of my care factor being someone who is clued in while reading these last two books was "oh, this is a world hopper from [insert planet here], that's cool I guess".

Confession: I'm still barely a fourth or less into Tress and am mostly just enjoying it as its own thing. Alas for my pathetic willpower in the face of spoiler discussion. Presumably the crossover stuff is more of an Easter "Oh! I know who/what that is!" Egg than anything really vital. Which is fine by me.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
If he jumps any of the sharks mentioned in the last few posts I will be very disappointed

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

If he jumps any of the sharks mentioned in the last few posts I will be very disappointed

Because of this post, the live action interpretation of Tress is going to have Hoid breaking the curse as a shot for shot remake of Kevin Spacey’s escape at the end of The Usual Suspects.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Got my first box from the Kickstarter
This one is Hoid based (only a spoiler for what the box is, not any kind of actual spoiler unless you know nothing at all about the Cosmere)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Everyone posted:

See, you think that now, but I recommend that you refresh your memory of when Stephen King put himself as a character within the Dark Tower and ask yourself "Do I really want to read that from Brandon Sanderson?"

Hoid is already his self-insert

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

101 posted:

Hoid is already his self-insert

Uh, it’s definitely Marasi “I wrote 100k words on what might happen if Wax got kidnapped” Ladrian

mewse
May 2, 2006

Daric posted:

Uh, it’s definitely Marasi “I wrote 100k words on what might happen if Wax got kidnapped” Ladrian

… Sterris

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

mewse posted:

… Sterris

You right, all the characters are running together now that we’re like 24 books in.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Jose Valasquez posted:

Got my first box from the Kickstarter
This one is Hoid based (only a spoiler for what the box is, not any kind of actual spoiler unless you know nothing at all about the Cosmere)

Okay yeah I'm glad I didn't spring for that, thanks for sharing pics. I'm not suggesting that nobody would or should like what's in the box, but it's definitely not for me.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CK07 posted:

Okay yeah I'm glad I didn't spring for that, thanks for sharing pics. I'm not suggesting that nobody would or should like what's in the box, but it's definitely not for me.

In retrospect I probably would have just done the hardcovers, but I've spent $300 on dumber poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Anyone remember/know when the physical books are supposed to be showing up?