Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Safety Dance posted:

I read through the Lash of Thanatos arc and this one kicked me in the gut.

I had a similar thought when I was crashing a motorcycle. "Oh dang, I wish I could have warned my girlfriend."

Separately, when Brain Tape starts on this arc, it'll be absolutely indecipherable. I can't wait.

Lord I hate the Cartilage Head arcs, he's such a judgemental douche for someone that never speaks

The risotto arc in the blogs is the funniest thing and would be the perfect set of posts to translate into comic form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Little grains of arborio rice on the bathroom counter spelling out R I S O T T O.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The R I S O T T O on the counter is funny enough, but the fact that Teodor evidently trusted an idiotic five year old to somehow prepare risotto is the real highlight of that arc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Youremother posted:

The R I S O T T O on the counter is funny enough, but the fact that Teodor evidently trusted an idiotic five year old to somehow prepare risotto is the real highlight of that arc.

To be fair Philippe kind of fluctuates in intelligence and/or competence from comic to comic

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

you inspired me to re-peruse the blogs and I'm already striking gold. guess who!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Lord I hate the Cartilage Head arcs, he's such a judgemental douche for someone that never speaks

Ray is a stand-up guy in a lot of ways, but cartilage head had his number completely: he is ultimately a coward who would desert a dying man

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drrockso20 posted:

Roast Beef getting the same card as Ray did, taking a moment and then basically going,"Nah, gently caress that guy," was absolutely the right response in that situation, in my mind.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Ray is a stand-up guy in a lot of ways, but cartilage head had his number completely: he is ultimately a coward who would desert a dying man

The multiple times Roast Beef got shot say otherwise

Jerusalem posted:

Roast Beef getting the same card as Ray did, taking a moment and then basically going,"Nah, gently caress that guy," was absolutely the right response in that situation, in my mind.

Exactly

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I do appreciate the tiny perfect revenge of Beef fobbing off an invitation to a performance that Ray will absolutely hate, but which he knows nothing about and is honor-bound to accept because it's exclusive and fancy, given how often Ray has put Beef into excruciatingly awkward situations

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Beef and Molly always seemed to waffle between happiness and unhappiness depending on how Beef was doing, but the end of the Teodore/Penny storyline in 2014 was definitely an "oof" moment there. Teodore had always been kind of a chump but it was rough to get a 60 second montage of his relationship slowly breaking down until they die.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Molly was very rarely unhappy, we just see her through a lens of Beef's bullshit most of the time. Honestly the problem with her was that Onstand wanted a love interest that would have a reason to stay with the kind of guy that has no coping mechanisms for life beyond "Add everything around me to my list of hated woes every time an inconvenience is noticed" and the best he could come up with is "I dunno, she just does."

The greeting card arc is a great encapsulation, he finds his own unorthodox path to success, encounters one obstacle (women might hit on him) and scraps the whole project immediately, because "saying no to flight attendants" is too hard and both he and Ray instinctively understand he can't do it.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 1, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

One small touch I’ve always loved is that Ray and Teodor get definitive deaths and tombstones while Beef just disappears into the void

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Really makes one wonder where the characters would end up if he were to come back to Achewood some day(particularly if time has passed offscreen since the comic ended back in 2016)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Cue old timers groaning about the price of a lid

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

(The chubby cat's butler is trying to help him stop jacking off in his sleep)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Youremother posted:

Cue old timers groaning about the price of a lid

No worries, Jack. I got three lids in the Hudson and enough Zig Zag to wipe God's rear end and the devil too

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lmao, i had kinda channeled my inner RB and said a few sentences in a very Achewood style and someone thought english was my second language

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can assure that Achewood jokes don't work IRL around normal people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

withak posted:

True, although "You can do whatever you want in life" works for pretty much everybody.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I have been irritated with coworkers lately and been very tempted to declare that I'll "take four shits and die" if they don't knock it off, but obviously I haven't. But I keep thinking it, oh, I keep thinking it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

withak posted:

yes, but when you find another Achewood fan in the wild it’s glorious

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

withak posted:

But I desperately want to use the "three crawls up a fat boy's rear end" line...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

withak posted:

Not all of them, but "[so-and-so] comes from circumstances" has yet to be misunderstood

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Not all of them, but "[so-and-so] comes from circumstances" has yet to be misunderstood

“restroom eyes” has fully made it into my friend-group’s lexicon

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've found that both "pimp skitters" and "sinner's rear end" get the intended point across pretty well. Same with "sass gut" honestly.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 8, 2023

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah "sass gut" is pretty perfect.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Sass gut is absolutely a phrase in my life.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dildo it $1

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Pershing posted:

But I desperately want to use the "three crawls up a fat boy's rear end" line...

'hosed up wad of poo poo' is unlikely to be misunderstood at least.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Beats me why some dudes suck. Sure as hell ain't my scene.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, but when you find another Achewood fan in the wild it’s glorious

The guy renewing my car's registration a couple years back had a ray&beef tattoo on his forearm. I wonder if he was a goon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jerusalem posted:

True, although "You can do whatever you want in life" works for pretty much everybody.

So does "The End! No Moral!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

withak posted:

True, but those people have the sex appeal of a biscuit with two shits inside.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rye bread sandwich with Saltines as only filling

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
all punked up on Jupiter oil

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
rude titties

the rudest

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I do occasionally find myself driven to use "rude titties" in a conversation when appropriate (rarely).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rough chuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

This is definitely just a part of my regular vocabulary now, and people seem to get it