Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
mr beast is basically the "perfect" youtuber as far as min-maxing everything that will get you recommended and clicked on by the algorithm is concerned. he knows more kpi's than books, and this is the result. you may not like it, but this is what peak youtubing looks like

it's why the platform has always loving sucked. he's good at what youtube basically want people to do, when it's not doing "cringe" videos of filthy sjw's and complaining about wokeness in pop culture gone mad

ludwig does a lot of the same stuff with less production, and i think we all know this is what you're theoretically "supposed" to do with youtube, it's just that we all have a capacity for shame that keeps us from taking the dive. oh, and ludwig also started what is essentially a "drama" channel with some moist thrown in

it's also worth adding that mr beast doesn't even make money from his main channel; most of it comes from his gaming and video reaction channels. just in case anyone was under the impression that youtube is a vehicle for creativity and originality

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not so much shame as self-respect.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kliras posted:

it's also worth adding that mr beast doesn't even make money from his main channel

How so?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Doesn't he give away basically all his money earned from videos and is just non-stop throwing money out? Like, I heard he bought an entire dealerships car lot and then gave away the cars.

e : yeah here: https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/mrbeast-customers-tears-free-car-dealership-967748/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Doesn't he give away basically all his money earned from videos and is just non-stop throwing money out? Like, I heard he bought an entire dealerships car lot and then gave away the cars.
Short answer is that at a certain point, YouTube Philantropy more than paid for itself so that's how he made absurd amounts of money.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
versus the expenses that go into making them. ludwig has talked about it on a number on occasions. dude's buying islands and everything after all

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mr Beast hired Donut Media to make a rocket car. It was a 20m video on their channel. His version of the video, it was like a one minute segment and none of the Donut guys appeared. 🙄

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's kinda weird discovering one of the biggest youtubers through his burger restaurant but that's what happened with me. As much time as I spend on youtube and the internet you'd think I'd have at least heard of him.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've heard of Mr Beast here and there, but this thread today was the first time i've ever actually seen his face.

i also never even heard of roblox until two or three years ago after it had already been the biggest video game in the world for ages. there are just certain parts of the internet i have zero awareness of, and that's okay

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I ate a Mr Beast burger before I had watched a Mr Beast YouTube video.

Coming from a shadow kitchen: better than most fast food and didn't give me food poisoning, at least.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I love this guy's dumb inventions even if most of them are just solenoids firing off to something from the computer. For example:
His first video that went viral:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1iglyGr_iY

Most recent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV41cwEzqO4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I ate a Mr Beast burger before I had watched a Mr Beast YouTube video.

Coming from a shadow kitchen: better than most fast food and didn't give me food poisoning, at least.

I thought that was the LA Beast guy and the idea of eating his burgers (or him selling burgers) was a bit... disturbing

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

mobby_6kl posted:

I thought that was the LA Beast guy and the idea of eating his burgers (or him selling burgers) was a bit... disturbing

You go into LA Beast Burger and it just plays the full list of royalty free "LA Beast songs" on loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJRahjZsxU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

When they built one for Hasan he took off 2 of the supports so it would lean left, and they installed folding@home to make it Our PC, comrade

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Who is Hasan?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

Who is Hasan?

Twitch streamer who has become inexplicably rich talking dirtbag-left politics instead of games or bikini hottubs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Have a good day!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

VostokProgram posted:

Who is Hasan?

Hasan Piker, who got fired from The Young Turks for having such hot takes as saying America deserved 9/11.

Hey, maybe I'm willing to say ignorant poo poo too if it gets me a free PC with prices these days...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

njsykora posted:

Steve gets parodied.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5dQzbnSkcA

And gives his feedback in the comments.

not reading her script off of a printout on a table in front of her, my immersion is ruined

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxdZ5hOR12GMQ9VmUP9n8-9AyOwPNa6UOp

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

the gamersnexus EVGA finale video is out, and its pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0YlQS3Rx4

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

CBD Corndog posted:

the gamersnexus EVGA finale video is out, and its pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc0YlQS3Rx4

that was insane, that evga repair center is insane, the oc guys are insane

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

idk maybe because you're a loving idiot linus?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

F.D. Signifier posted:

idk maybe because you're a loving idiot linus?
got it in one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I expect like his last mining video it's "because a mining company paid me to say I am" in a desperate attempt to stop crypto's final impact.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

I expect like his last mining video it's "because a mining company paid me to say I am" in a desperate attempt to stop crypto's final impact.
If only there was such a thing as self-respect.

Too bad nobody ever invented that concept.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

No it's even dumber than that. He's using a mining rig as a space heater in his uninsulated 2-story garage. Which I guess okay that loses money more slowly than a normal space heater but still lol.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

power crystals posted:

No it's even dumber than that. He's using a mining rig as a space heater in his uninsulated 2-story garage. Which I guess okay that loses money more slowly than a normal space heater but still lol.

On top of that, he wall-mounted it above his head and was surprised the hot air all pooled on the ceiling and didn't heat up the rest of the space at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Linus should look up a tech tip for why the exhaust fans on a PC are usually at the top of the case.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

People who aren't the absolutely worst kind of stupid would insulate the room and then get a space heater that's actually efficient, instead of a purpose-built ASIC that can't be reused other than as a raw material that requires considerable processing and still contributes to the electricity use that's the cause of a not-inconsiderable amount of climate destabilization.

Instead, he goes out of his way to make a cheap buck on an end-stage capitalism grift.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
All space heaters are equally efficient. Heat dissipated is heat dissipated, end of story. The only way to be more efficient is to transfer heat rather than creating it, and a heat pump is not necessarily a viable option for him.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I am saying the idea that it's "inefficient" compared to a normal space heater in an energy sense is flat out wrong.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, if you were already going to use a resistence electric heater then a crypto mining rig is equal efficiency. And LTT already had all the parts he needed in their warehouse, so this is just a way for him to monetize his minor home improvement project by making a video out of it (he even showed in the video he was losing money on crypto mining just due to the cost of the electricity being greater than the crypto profits from his rig).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

All space heaters are equally efficient. Heat dissipated is heat dissipated, end of story. The only way to be more efficient is to transfer heat rather than creating it, and a heat pump is not necessarily a viable option for him.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I am saying the idea that it's "inefficient" compared to a normal space heater in an energy sense is flat out wrong.
A buttcoin miner uses DC so it needs a conversion, and on the 120V grid in North America, that conversion isn't very efficient even at the highest point of its curve - which is typically not at close-to-100% load. That's even assuming that people who do end-stage capitalist grifts care about achieving efficiency, and all signs point to them not caring one loving bit.
A space heater can be AC or DC.

And that doesn't address that, at least with the people who for some reason have any kind of respect for Linus, this legitimizes buttcoin to some extent, thus making even more people think it's a good idea and not incredibly loving stupid.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Is the reason for needing heat in an uninsulated garage at least really good, or is this utter moronic poltroonery all the way down?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A miner uses DC so it needs a conversion, and on the 120V grid in North America, that conversion isn't very efficient even at the highest point of its curve - which is typically not at close-to-100% load.
That's even assuming that people who do end-stage capitalist grifts care about achieving efficiency, and all signs point to them not caring one loving bit.

A space heater can be AC or DC.
What happens to the energy lost in the AC to DC conversion?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

People who aren't the absolutely worst kind of stupid would insulate the room and then get a space heater that's actually efficient, instead of a purpose-built ASIC that can't be reused other than as a raw material that requires considerable processing and still contributes to the electricity use that's the cause of a not-inconsiderable amount of climate destabilization.

Instead, he goes out of his way to make a cheap buck on an end-stage capitalism grift.

I hate to have to defend him but he is just using GPUs, not an ASIC miner. Everything else about it is still stupid as poo poo, though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Klyith posted:

Is the reason for needing heat in an uninsulated garage at least really good, or is this utter moronic poltroonery all the way down?

He added a "workshop and test bench area" to his garage when he remodeled his mansion before he moved in and he mentioned he's used it to work on product reviews.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Llamadeus posted:

What happens to the energy lost in the AC to DC conversion?
Sure, it gets dissipated as heat, but are you saying that one concentrated heat source that's warmer than the total heat output of several smaller heat sources doesn't warm up a room faster?

power crystals posted:

I hate to have to defend him but he is just using GPUs, not an ASIC miner. Everything else about it is still stupid as poo poo, though.
But why? I hate buttcoin as much as the next person, but even I know that it's utterly pointless to use GPGPU for mining them.

Mr.Radar posted:

He added a "workshop and test bench area" to his garage when he remodeled his mansion before he moved in and he mentioned he's used it to work on product reviews.
So he decided to extend his workspace but not insulate it?
How loving dumb can he be.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a stupid idea. Get a dome heater and point it at you while you’re working instead of wasting energy poorly heating the whole garage.