Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Part of what I was finding frustrating about the series was that a lot of the time it was not living up to the potential of the setting.

That episode did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cheesus posted:

After that finale, I'm very, very, very on board with Willow season 2.

Hahaha, oh man Willow, Volume 1 of 3. You cocky bastards.

It was great. Really hope it gets renewed.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Man, how far is Crosshair going to fall?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
After so so many years of good guy clone troopers taking on the silly bad guy droids, it's unnerving, in a good way, to have the sides flipped so hard like this episode.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

elf help book posted:

After so so many years of good guy clone troopers taking on the silly bad guy droids, it's unnerving, in a good way, to have the sides flipped so hard like this episode.

Yeah, the protagonists being the same side but obviously being villains now worked really effectively. "Do I cheer for...battle droids?" is a fun conundrum.

AotC at least had both sides being the same side and it not really mattering with the protagonist clonetrooper thing, in this, you were following the clear villains. Wonder what Cody is going to get up to now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Darko posted:

Wonder what Cody is going to get up to now.
I don't want it, I don't need it, but if Ewan really needs the Star Wars dough for Kenobi Season 2.

I could go for a Kenobi/Cody adventure.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That battle droid's "Mm-hmm :doubt:" to the imperial governer was great.

This animation keeps looking ridiculously good in every scene.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The best episode of Bad Batch yet, probably because it didn't have any of the main cast in it :v:

Seriously, that was good TV. I love that it implies what I've believed all along, that the Separatists were right to want to leave the Republic. I really liked the use of battle droids here, they were actually pretty competent and scary. I loved the "good shot" high-five between the tank commander and gunner. I do wish there had been some locals fighting alongside them, but they were still pretty clearly framed as the protectors of Desix.

One last thing, has Cody always had that scar on his temple? Or is that implying he's had his chip removed?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

FishFood posted:

One last thing, has Cody always had that scar on his temple? Or is that implying he's had his chip removed?
It was there in Revenge of the Sith when he was unmasked going over strategy for Utapau with Obi-Wan.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cheesus posted:

After that finale, I'm very, very, very on board with Willow season 2.

:same:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thinking more about Bad Batch...

Rampart says that Unit 99 died on Kamino. Does this mean Crosshair (who was left behind as the team escaped Kamino) reported that they were dead? Or did Crosshair report to Rampart that they survived and then Rampart just simply lied to his own superiors?

Well that answers that. Crosshair didn't mention Clone Force 99 either way because the Empire left him for dead on that platform and it took someone a month to notice he was still alive. By the time he was recovered, Rampart had probably long since filed his report the Bad Batch were dead.

Also given his medical leave he was probably half starved and dehydrated when found, so Rampart repeatedly calling him in during mealtime is just impressively assholery, if intentional.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 11, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
drat. I know it's not entirely speaking his fault but Crosshairs sucks so bad.

thrawn527 posted:

Hahaha, oh man Willow, Volume 1 of 3. You cocky bastards.

It was great. Really hope it gets renewed.

I was absolutely not expecting this of all things to end up my favourite fantasy show of the year but here we are. Also, I don't understand how so many shots in this put certain other notoriously expensive unnamed shows to shame, it's absurdly pretty at times. Anyway, Elora & Kit & Boorman & Jade & Graydon & Willow 4ever, etc. Give me more silly D&D adventures and cocky crones to shoot lighting bolts at. Just needs some better fight choreography and we're golden.

One thing I guess I missed somewhere: why did Elora go ginge in the last few eps? Not a complaint, just confused.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sentinel Red posted:

I was absolutely not expecting this of all things to end up my favourite fantasy show of the year but here we are. Also, I don't understand how so many shots in this put certain other notoriously expensive unnamed shows to shame, it's absurdly pretty at times. Anyway, Elora & Kit & Boorman & Jade & Graydon & Willow 4ever, etc. Give me more silly D&D adventures and cocky crones to shoot lighting bolts at. Just needs some better fight choreography and we're golden.

I agree, it just looks so much better. I think actually caring about what you make helps. Rings of Power was a cash grab, plain and simple, and the people making it didn't care all that much. What came out was alright, but lacking any care or passion. Wheel of Time had people who cared, but the first book isn't very good, so the first season was never going to be good. And they made some...odd choices. But Willow clearly had people making it that loved old school fantasy RPG stuff, and it was bleeding onto the screen. Also, Boorman fucks.

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing I guess I missed somewhere: why did Elora go ginge in the last few eps? Not a complaint, just confused.

Yeah, my brother asked about this, and I tried coming up with a couple bullshit excuses. First was, "Well, they said she dyed her hair with something in the kitchen, maybe it's wearing off?" Next was, "Maybe her hair is coming into her normal color with her magic power strength?" But eh, I dunno, I guess they just wanted her to be a red head again by the end, and hoped no one would notice.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

It's mentioned in one of the earlier episodes that they put something in her hair to change it's color. I think they said it in the Nelwyn village, or maybe in the Bone Reaver camp, I can't remember. Szorsha wanted to hide her, so the people at the castle dyed her hair. Also it makes for a fakeout where Jade is the ginger orphan girl hanging out with Kit, but actually Alora is someone else. When they stopped putting the dye in, her hair started changing colour back, only not starting at the roots like a real world dye-job.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Yeah it seemed clear to me that the stronger she was becoming with magic, the more her hair was getting redder as her "true self".

Based on Ellie Bambers Instagram, it sounds like the actors had a blast making the show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm7DHkMqOJ2/?igshid=NjcyZGVjMzk=

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, my brother asked about this, and I tried coming up with a couple bullshit excuses. First was, "Well, they said she dyed her hair with something in the kitchen, maybe it's wearing off?" Next was, "Maybe her hair is coming into her normal color with her magic power strength?" But eh, I dunno, I guess they just wanted her to be a red head again by the end, and hoped no one would notice.

Servetus posted:

It's mentioned in one of the earlier episodes that they put something in her hair to change it's color. I think they said it in the Nelwyn village, or maybe in the Bone Reaver camp, I can't remember. Szorsha wanted to hide her, so the people at the castle dyed her hair. Also it makes for a fakeout where Jade is the ginger orphan girl hanging out with Kit, but actually Alora is someone else. When they stopped putting the dye in, her hair started changing colour back, only not starting at the roots like a real world dye-job.

Cheesus posted:

Yeah it seemed clear to me that the stronger she was becoming with magic, the more her hair was getting redder as her "true self".

Alright, so both of my bullshit excuses check out. Cool.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Holy hell that droideka scene

edit: This week's "there's Star Wars in this here Willow moment" - Elora unintentionally talking about using the Force to make a bomb-rear end meal shortly after Arik asks if she can shoot lightning out of her fingers

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 12, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Based on Ellie Bambers Instagram, it sounds like the actors had a blast making the show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm7DHkMqOJ2/?igshid=NjcyZGVjMzk=

This reminds, I really like the clothes everyone is wearing. They look cool as gently caress and give you a hint of what the characters are about.

\/\/\/Ha, I got a couple new songs for my playlist out of it. The one that plays at the end of the first episode is exactly my poo poo.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 12, 2023

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
If this is the thread where what we talk about Willow+, I rather enjoyed the little romp, but found the modern tunes a bit jarring at times. Still a fun series and I'm looking forward to more if we get it.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe the clones are able to act against their programming because Rex and Ahsohka started an underground chip-removing operation, or maybe they're wearing out

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 12, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you go a few weeks without dying or treating your hair it is not going to be its dyed color anymore, and this was a long rear end adventure

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bad Batch ruled, and Willow was really solid.

I think what helps Willow is it just trys to be an adventure. Its not trying to be some profound epic, its clearly made by people who like me read a ton of disposable fantasy novels in the 80s and 90s and just loved stores where a motley crew of adventures go out and defeat the evil lord or whatever. They're not trying to be Tolkein, it feels more like Dragonlance, but without stupid Kinder. You suck Tasselhoff, no one likes you, i don't care if the writers love you, no one else does!

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

twistedmentat posted:

Bad Batch ruled, and Willow was really solid.

I think what helps Willow is it just trys to be an adventure. Its not trying to be some profound epic, its clearly made by people who like me read a ton of disposable fantasy novels in the 80s and 90s and just loved stores where a motley crew of adventures go out and defeat the evil lord or whatever. They're not trying to be Tolkein, it feels more like Dragonlance, but without stupid Kinder. You suck Tasselhoff, no one likes you, i don't care if the writers love you, no one else does!

I liked Tasselhoff okay. Or at least I found his relationship with Flint rather sweet.

Of course, I've literally not read Dragonlance in like 30 years. I kind of dread the thought of revisiting it. I am, however, playing the SSI games again lol.

Seeing the "Willow" series compared favorably to that kind of sub-sub-Tolkien fantasy does make me want to check it out. I liked "The Witcher" series based on the same idea. It felt like a fun D&D campaign.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 12, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I m gonna walk back my remarks about bad batch. If they can keep things up where more characters are introduced with this nice nuance, alone with decommissioning the clone army.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Love Rat posted:

Seeing the "Willow" series compared favorably to that kind of sub-sub-Tolkien fantasy does make me want to check it out. I liked "The Witcher" series based on the same idea. It felt like a fun D&D campaign.

Through the four episodes I've seen, Willow is absolutely vibing like a fun D&D game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

FishFood posted:

The best episode of Bad Batch yet, probably because it didn't have any of the main cast in it :v:

Seriously, that was good TV. I love that it implies what I've believed all along, that the Separatists were right to want to leave the Republic. I really liked the use of battle droids here, they were actually pretty competent and scary. I loved the "good shot" high-five between the tank commander and gunner. I do wish there had been some locals fighting alongside them, but they were still pretty clearly framed as the protectors of Desix.

I would really like to see a Clone Wars era thing that tackles the politics behind the Confederecy, because if you think about it, it consists of exactly two factions:

1) Planets that were ignored at best or screwed by the Republic at worst who had a legitimate desire for independence
2) Moustache twirling cartoon supervillains whose goals were either Super War Profiteering or Xtreme acts of genocide

Luthen can make big impressive speeches about the need to work with unsavory characters to get the job done but I really doubt any of them will be a fraction as nutso as Grievous

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

HackensackBackpack posted:

If this is the thread where what we talk about Willow+, I rather enjoyed the little romp, but found the modern tunes a bit jarring at times. Still a fun series and I'm looking forward to more if we get it.

I wish there were, as I haven't had time to watch it yet and stepping around posts in this thread is getting tough.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
For some reason i have a feeling that Cody got killed off, off screen

The problem with TBB is that you get awesome episodes like that and then it goes.. Anyway next week Wrecker accidentially eats the govenor's gooberfish

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I would really like to see a Clone Wars era thing that tackles the politics behind the Confederecy, because if you think about it, it consists of exactly two factions:

1) Planets that were ignored at best or screwed by the Republic at worst who had a legitimate desire for independence
2) Moustache twirling cartoon supervillains whose goals were either Super War Profiteering or Xtreme acts of genocide

Luthen can make big impressive speeches about the need to work with unsavory characters to get the job done but I really doubt any of them will be a fraction as nutso as Grievous

It is really funny that the people with a legitimate desire for local independence and better government being misled by their leadership consisting entirely of evil capitalists are pretty much all cartoon villains, while the outright lunatic fascists keep getting nuanced and sympathetic takes

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

StashAugustine posted:

It is really funny that the people with a legitimate desire for local independence and better government being misled by their leadership consisting entirely of evil capitalists are pretty much all cartoon villains, while the outright lunatic fascists keep getting nuanced and sympathetic takes

I found it kind of silly how the Bad Batch premiere made Dooku just as bad as the Senator's he was angry with in Tales of the Jedi. They dropped a three part backstory for him and then contradicted it. Unless we are meant to assume he himself had been corrupted by power in the end, which makes sense for a Sith, but isn't very interesting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PriorMarcus posted:

I found it kind of silly how the Bad Batch premiere made Dooku just as bad as the Senator's he was angry with in Tales of the Jedi. They dropped a three part backstory for him and then contradicted it. Unless we are meant to assume he himself had been corrupted by power in the end, which makes sense for a Sith, but isn't very interesting.

Dooku didn't really have any nuance in the movies or TCW either though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

I figured it was the latter - once he went full Dark Side, he went al lends justify the means and got focused on power and became what he despised.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HackensackBackpack posted:

If it gets a season 2, I'll either make a thread proper for it, or I'll go ahead and include it in the OP here and consider this the "Lucasfilm TV Thread". I've wanted to talk more about it, but haven't known where, and not many people in Gen TV chat thread seem to watch it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I had to resort to the forums search, figuring that people were talking about Willow SOMEWHERE. The last few episodes were an improvement, I'll keep watching if it gets a Season 2 but it also ended in a satisfying enough place that I won't be crushed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When the last music started playing I was kind of blown away, that sure was a fuckin choice

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think the TOJ stories are contradicted here.

In the third episode, Yaddle gives him every opportunity to join her, including admitting that she was wrong. Instead he sticks with the Sith.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When the last music started playing I was kind of blown away, that sure was a fuckin choice

I do appreciate they didn't use a cover or change any lyrics. Watching storybook pages of Willow while singing about microwave ovens and custom kitchen delivery

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tato posted:

I do appreciate they didn't use a cover or change any lyrics. Watching storybook pages of Willow while singing about microwave ovens and custom kitchen delivery

I'm pretty sure there's at least one lyric they cut out of that one lol, look up the lyrics to verse 2

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

That's a good one to take out. Glad they didn't replace it with "peck" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Love Rat posted:

I liked Tasselhoff okay. Or at least I found his relationship with Flint rather sweet.

Of course, I've literally not read Dragonlance in like 30 years. I kind of dread the thought of revisiting it. I am, however, playing the SSI games again lol.

The old goldbox games? How did you get those to run, PM me if it's :filez: stuff.

Also, watch Willow, it' fun, it's cute, it's gay.

I listened to the Dragons of * series two years ago after not having read them since their release and they, more or less, hold up. A little grimmer and mopey than I remember and there's stuff in Summer Flame that I straight up do not buy, but they were okay. Man, as a kid though, I bought every single paperback in the dragonlance line, I would devour those books.