Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I still don't think I understand the purpose/niche of blunderbusses.

Aside from being able to deal impressive damage to low AR targets with Powder Burns active, the multiple projectiles per shot means that you have multiple opportunities to roll crits, which can synergize with certain classes or status effects like Energized. It also has a niche use for Streetfighter Rogues, since you can use the self-application of Distracted to partially gain the benefit of your passive without having to put yourself in actual peril.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Could someone make a mod that changes the blunderbuss to be a cone AOE attack? I assume it'd be possible since at least Blade of the Endless has that feature...

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Other than what's already been said, the multihit is useful for abilities like Concussive Tranquilizer or Avenging Storm since each pellet will proc the effect. Kitchen Stove has a per-encounter cone of fire attack that does a truckload of damage and also its faster reload enchantment affects whatever offhand weapon you dual wield it with. Xefa's has a raw damage lash so you can still do damage against pierce-immune enemies but it's not as effective as the full-on raw damage typed Eccea's blaster if you're looking for raw damage from a gun. I don't find the non-mortar blunderbusses to be all that great for auto attack use.

Kitchen Stove though has been pivotal on this Ascendant/Bellow build I've been ironing out but I literally only use it for the aforementioned Thunderous Report ability. It's that good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

Other than what's already been said, the multihit is useful for abilities like Concussive Tranquilizer or Avenging Storm since each pellet will proc the effect. Kitchen Stove has a per-encounter cone of fire attack that does a truckload of damage and also its faster reload enchantment affects whatever offhand weapon you dual wield it with. Xefa's has a raw damage lash so you can still do damage against pierce-immune enemies but it's not as effective as the full-on raw damage typed Eccea's blaster if you're looking for raw damage from a gun. I don't find the non-mortar blunderbusses to be all that great for auto attack use.

Kitchen Stove though has been pivotal on this Ascendant/Bellow build I've been ironing out but I literally only use it for the aforementioned Thunderous Report ability. It's that good.

Yeah Kitchen Stove with Thunderous Report is insanely good on a Cipher. You use that at the start of a fight and you'll have max focus instantly. Then you can swap to something else and spend your focus.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.
Is there a scroll of summon ropekid? Because my brain decided to obsess over the titans at Ukaizo. Eleven alcoves, three are missing. Two of the three missing are Wael's, who forgot where he parked his, and Abydon's, who got mooned, literally.

Which god refused? Neither Ondra nor Magran say anything that might suggest their went AWOL (plus, I assume Magran would drop-kick Waidwen into Aedyr, if she still had it). I figure it might be Woedica or Rymrgand - the first because she got kicked out of the Engwithan Seniors' Club, the other because, well, he's all about entropy and it would be on-brand for the magical moo-moo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just found out from Wiki searching that there's more than the initial meeting w/ Rekke? Whoops!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tagaziel posted:

Is there a scroll of summon ropekid? Because my brain decided to obsess over the titans at Ukaizo. Eleven alcoves, three are missing. Two of the three missing are Wael's, who forgot where he parked his, and Abydon's, who got mooned, literally.

Which god refused? Neither Ondra nor Magran say anything that might suggest their went AWOL (plus, I assume Magran would drop-kick Waidwen into Aedyr, if she still had it). I figure it might be Woedica or Rymrgand - the first because she got kicked out of the Engwithan Seniors' Club, the other because, well, he's all about entropy and it would be on-brand for the magical moo-moo.

Skaen hiding his titan away for a rainy day seems pretty on brand as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My own read on the titans is that the third missing one is Woedica. This timeline makes sense to me:

Woedica is the boss
The other gods get fed up and smack her down
(alternately she was never actually the boss but tried to be and got smacked down, she mentions at some point there were holy wars)
Ondra decides to cause an apocalypse, which Woedica would probably have stopped if she was n charge because it wasn't her idea
After Abydon dies the rest of the gods decide to ditch the bodies

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I just found out from Wiki searching that there's more than the initial meeting w/ Rekke? Whoops!
if you didn't take sidekicks into the DLC areas you missed out on some good content there also

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Speaking of interesting lore tidbits if I'm not mistaken there's 12 bells and 12 doors when Berath pulls you into the beyond. But there's only 11 Engwithan gods that we know of. Is the 12th door/bell for the Watcher, or does it have additional significance?

Yezuha is also fascinating to me. One of the lore books in Forgotten Sanctum implies that the Engwithans did meet/make some kind of deal with Yezuha. But why would they be ok with a one God belief system? Seems contrary to their purposes. The Engwithan gods usually co-opt any local legends and make them their own (Galawain with Tomowai, Ondra with Ngati) but I'm not seeing an elegant way for the Engwithan gods to co-opt the Yezuhan belief system and take advantage of it.

I wonder if there's a 12th god that's responsible for watching over Yezuha. Or if there's just a 12th god in general. Or maybe none of that has any significance and the 12th chime/bell is just to represent the Watcher's presence.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Very hard to speculate. Yezuha might be a more our-worldly monotheistic God who doesn't manifest themselves directly the way artificial gods do, and may or may not actually exist. He might be a giant imp. This doesn't explain why don't "real" gods go there. Doesn't seem like their power is limited geographically. Maybe by the time they were created Yezuha was already entrenched.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

2house2fly posted:

if you didn't take sidekicks into the DLC areas you missed out on some good content there also

I took Yidwin a lot of places because I generally liked her character and the rogue/cipher build, and took Fassina to the Sanctum and Konstantin to Slayer Island.

Mirke and Rekke were the two I mostly left on the boat.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It might just be an awkward time (still getting things going in Neketaka, level 6, crappy equipment in general) but War Wizard Aloth is disappointing so far. My Tactician Bloodmage was pretty cool but I decided to try for a pure wizard Aloth this time that uses buffs and summoned weapons and he feels weak. I'm going to bench him for a bit and try again later.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

It might just be an awkward time (still getting things going in Neketaka, level 6, crappy equipment in general) but War Wizard Aloth is disappointing so far. My Tactician Bloodmage was pretty cool but I decided to try for a pure wizard Aloth this time that uses buffs and summoned weapons and he feels weak. I'm going to bench him for a bit and try again later.

I haven't used him a ton as fighter/mage. He always feels really good as rogue/mage. Kalakoth's blights + gouging strike = huge amounts of damage on groups of enemies.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I took Yidwin a lot of places because I generally liked her character and the rogue/cipher build, and took Fassina to the Sanctum and Konstantin to Slayer Island.

Mirke and Rekke were the two I mostly left on the boat.

Vatnir gets the bench most often for me. Not that I think he's a bad character -- I actually think his Rymrgand priest kit is pretty decent and rounds out the damage type on the otherwise fire-heavy offensive spells in the priest arsenal. It's just that the area that he's introduced in and where he has the most reactivity also has enemy types most resistant to his uniques. Also, he tends to be the last member I recruit so I've often already filled out his role with other characters. His racial godlike bonus is sort of interesting but if I wanted to play around with low health conditionals on a priest/rogue, I'd go with death godlike and even then I've done the uber glass cannon kept alive with priest spells build before and I can't say it was really worth the fuss in the end.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Vatnir gets the bench most often for me. Not that I think he's a bad character -- I actually think his Rymrgand priest kit is pretty decent and rounds out the damage type on the otherwise fire-heavy offensive spells in the priest arsenal. It's just that the area that he's introduced in and where he has the most reactivity also has enemy types most resistant to his uniques. Also, he tends to be the last member I recruit so I've often already filled out his role with other characters. His racial godlike bonus is sort of interesting but if I wanted to play around with low health conditionals on a priest/rogue, I'd go with death godlike and even then I've done the uber glass cannon kept alive with priest spells build before and I can't say it was really worth the fuss in the end.

Yeah- I was playing on a really low difficulty, so carrying him through Beast of Winter for the RolePlay aspect of it was doable...but I took him as a priest and it was so painful that almost 90% of the fights I was just trying to find something for him to do that didn't involve him attacking ice defenses the enemy had immunity with.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Vatnir is one of the strongest npcs in the game. His bonus spells are very good even if they're not super useful in that dlc. The key with him is to take some fire spells too when you level him up. Then he has a diverse offensive kit. Sun & Moon is a particularly good weapon for him because if you level him up in the way I suggest then he's always getting some use out of it as it either gives +2 PL for Fire spells (day) or +2 for Cold spells (night) and he can have both.

He can also be quite strong multiclassed but imo single class Priest is the simplest way to build him and as long as you diversify his offensive arsenal he's quite good.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sooo I'm tempted to do another run.

Thinking of either being a Rogue or a Monk\Rogue. Thoughts?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It depends on your playstyle, what weapons you want to use, if your plan to go ranged or melee, and if you want to be more damage dealing or tanky.

Just as a starting off point, the abilities available to single classed Rogues lend themselves more for Assassin which is a very specific type of playthrough relying on resetting combat encounters if you're going solo or prolonging the duration of Vanishing Strikes if playing in a party. You don't necessarily have to be an assassin as a single classed rogue since you'll get a power level bonus for your lower tier abilities as well, but that's the subclass that's going to get the most out of tier 8 and 9 abilities.

For a monk/rogue multi, my philosophy is that monk does so well on its own that if you are at all interested in doing monk things such as fighting unarmed and getting in a flurry of blows, then just going single class will give you all that with the power level scaling to fists and incredible abilities like Whispers of the Wind. However, monks also complement a lot of other classes and make excellent multiclass add-ins if your playstyle warrants it. Some examples: Helwalker/Streetfighter with mortars is an easy and self-sufficient way of getting the full Streetfighter bonus while also amplifying the capabilities of mortars with more penetration, AoE size, attack speed, damage, and even refundable stuns added to your AoE. A Trickster/Forbidden Fist could make for a very capable offensive tank that gets a lot of free attacks from Riposte and Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming and further synergy by extending durations of the various rogue strike abilities with Forbidden Fist.

If you narrow it down a bit more, you can zero in better on what you want to play as. Maybe rogue and monk might not even be the best choice for what you want.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fair play.

Basically, I want to be a sneaky, backstabbing bastard who can teleport around the battlefield and basically never get hit. So I'm interested in high damage, not much tank, and high dodge.

I like to play characters who rely on their abilities more than their gear.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

H13 posted:

Sooo I'm tempted to do another run.

Thinking of either being a Rogue or a Monk\Rogue. Thoughts?

Do the monk/barbarian build from several pages back that focuses on interrupts to the point of stun-locking enemies and feeding wounds with the debilitative frenzy.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I thought single class Monk was a pretty bog standard Monk RPG class in Pillars 1 and Pillars 2. Like 5/10. Perfectly adequate! Nothing special but nothing bad. Until Level 20. I cant describe how much I loved playing Pillars 2 after I reached level cap and just exploded all the bad guys all over the map with my ridiculously awesome DBZ powers.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

rocketrobot posted:

Do the monk/barbarian build from several pages back that focuses on interrupts to the point of stun-locking enemies and feeding wounds with the debilitative frenzy.

Ehhhhhh...barbarian's don't appeal to me from an RP perspective. Thieves\Monks do and the idea of a Monk who loses his poo poo with barbarian rage doesn't make much sense to me.

Though in hindsight, if I made him super dumb, that's kinda Minsc-esque.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

H13 posted:

Fair play.

Basically, I want to be a sneaky, backstabbing bastard who can teleport around the battlefield and basically never get hit. So I'm interested in high damage, not much tank, and high dodge.

I like to play characters who rely on their abilities more than their gear.

That pretty much does describe the aforementioned Whispers of the Wind ability that single class monks can get. You go invisible, automatically teleport to your target and whack them, then go invisible and teleport to strike another random target, and so on. You're untargetable in between teleports and enemies don't often react before you finish your attacks and bounce to a new target so it's overall pretty safe. Nalpazca monks who can generate wound resources passively to power this ability do great with it. However, single class monks won't get it until level 19 so I don't want to sell it too much since it's a long wait if that's the playstyle you want to go for.

Other than that, if you want sneaky and backstabbing, that's definitely the Assassin subclass for rogues. The "dodge" element is not necessarily from deflection, i.e. being able to avoid hits, but rather from the fact that when you go invisible you are untargetable by enemies. A multiclass like Helwalker/Assassin could have some synergy for a high alpha strike where you use Dance of Death to build wounds, then use a cloaking ability like Smoke Veil or Shadowing Beyond (depending on if you're playing real time or turn based mode) and hitting your enemies with a high damage two handed weapon (since the Assassinate bonus only lasts for the initial hit, so dual wielding is out). You can use the Stunning Surge monk ability as your stealth attack and the very high accuracy bonus while cloaked will almost guarantee the stun and resource cost refund and also potentially triggering additional free attacks from Heartbeat Drumming/Swift Flurry to finish off enemies if your initial hit doesn't. As a multiclass, the most Assassinate attacks (i.e. high alpha attacks from the shadows) you can make in a given encounter at max level is 7, and that's assuming you're playing in real time, making one of those attacks from stealth at the start of combat, using a resting bonus, and a unique pair of boots. After that you are incredibly squishy since both subclasses have a penalty where you take additional damage when hit.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Speaking of interesting lore tidbits if I'm not mistaken there's 12 bells and 12 doors when Berath pulls you into the beyond. But there's only 11 Engwithan gods that we know of. Is the 12th door/bell for the Watcher, or does it have additional significance?

Yezuha is also fascinating to me. One of the lore books in Forgotten Sanctum implies that the Engwithans did meet/make some kind of deal with Yezuha. But why would they be ok with a one God belief system? Seems contrary to their purposes. The Engwithan gods usually co-opt any local legends and make them their own (Galawain with Tomowai, Ondra with Ngati) but I'm not seeing an elegant way for the Engwithan gods to co-opt the Yezuhan belief system and take advantage of it.

I wonder if there's a 12th god that's responsible for watching over Yezuha. Or if there's just a 12th god in general. Or maybe none of that has any significance and the 12th chime/bell is just to represent the Watcher's presence.

for Yezuha, it’s separated from the lands of engwithian gods by storms that seem very similar to the storms on Ukaizo. My theory is the engwithians built machines to make those storms, at least in part to keep Yezuha theology out. Given ukaizo’s storm system and their whole deal they also probably have something to do with souls.

Related, I think Rekke’s party were a condemned group turned missionaries - the storms seem almost impossible to survive so why not send the disposable. We know that Rekke is a criminal and he seems to consider himself both a missionary and not a very good one.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
So, spurred by reading this thread, I started another run of Pillars 1.

I previously played dual-wielding Rogue, dual-wielding Cipher, and a sword-and-board Paladin. I've started a Monk this time, which is okay, but what I really want to try is a single-weapon character, with a focus on landing crits.

I know it's considered a weak option, though. Is there any build for this that doesn't totally suck? Something a bit off the wall, maybe, a Barbarian (does Carnage roll separately? Would +ACC from single weapon help?)

I'm playing Path of the Damned, by the way, as otherwise I get bored halfway through the game as the challenge disappears.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I don't know if it's strong or weak, but the Chanter subclass Skald gets extra phrases on weapon crits, so it should be better with a onehander.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is the community patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/335) something people use? Or have most of these been incorporated in to the current version of the game?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Definitely use it if the changes sound good, the last time the game was updated was 2019 and that mod was last updated 2021 so it should be pretty much all stuff that's not already in there

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I've been using it in my latest run because it fixes pen not scaling for the Arcane Archer. I haven't really noticed any other changes. A lot is either fixing bugs so things work more like their description or making weaker abilities slightly stronger. Pretty much no change with the game content, only abilities.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I rolled a Monk\Rogue and to be honest, I don't see much benefit to the Monk.

My idea was to enhance Monk punching power\dodging with sneak attack. But to be honest, I'm basically just using the Rogue skills and I don't think there's many monk attacks which work well with sneak attack\backstab?

Happy to be wrong, but I'm tempted to just re-roll as a Rogue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man I’d pay good money for a re-release of 1 with all the QoL upgrades of 2.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

H13 posted:

So I rolled a Monk\Rogue and to be honest, I don't see much benefit to the Monk.

My idea was to enhance Monk punching power\dodging with sneak attack. But to be honest, I'm basically just using the Rogue skills and I don't think there's many monk attacks which work well with sneak attack\backstab?

I think the Sneak Attack and Backstab nomenclature for Rogues in Pillars of Eternity trips people up because they think of it working similarly to BG or other Infinity Engine games and misinterpret it to requiring you to actually attack people from behind or only attack from stealth to get the bonus. To clarify, Rogues' Sneak Attack just requires you to debuff an enemy with an Affliction which you can do in a number of ways. Backstab is a passive bonus that only occurs when you attack from stealth/invisibility and from a certain distance. To simplify it, Sneak Attack is still adding on the damage bonus as long as you've debuffed those enemies, either from your Rogue or Monk abilities. You can also physically flank an enemy or there's even passives in the Rogue tree such as Persistent Distraction which automatically makes any enemy you engage vulnerable to Sneak Attack.

What monks add is DPS buffs and also "free" attacks which automatically trigger off critical hits. Rogues do have certain abilities which help with fishing for crits such as the Dirty Fighting passive that gives crit conversion and also the Confounding Blind attack which lowers deflection. That's one synergy I see with going Rogue/Monk off the bat. The Helwalker/Assassin build that I recommended earlier I stand behind as being probably the best chance at accomplishing an alpha strike that can one shot enemies, but I wouldn't play it on POTD with upscaling since even getting the full damage bonuses and proccing the free attacks still might not one shot things and you can only do it 7 times in a fight. It's not really something I that wholeheartedly recommend and I could see it being frustrating. There's other monk/rogue combos like Trickster/Nalzpazca that I would like a lot more for an easier to manage and durable frontliner.

If monk isn't suiting your needs, there's plenty of other great classes that multiclass with Rogues that synergize with and amplifies their damage and while also providing nice defenses such as paladins or ciphers.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

H13 posted:

Rerolling the #1 killer of characters. Go for what you've got and literally kick some godly butt!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

I think the Sneak Attack and Backstab nomenclature for Rogues in Pillars of Eternity trips people up because they think of it working similarly to BG or other Infinity Engine games and misinterpret it to requiring you to actually attack people from behind or only attack from stealth to get the bonus. To clarify, Rogues' Sneak Attack just requires you to debuff an enemy with an Affliction which you can do in a number of ways. Backstab is a passive bonus that only occurs when you attack from stealth/invisibility and from a certain distance. To simplify it, Sneak Attack is still adding on the damage bonus as long as you've debuffed those enemies, either from your Rogue or Monk abilities. You can also physically flank an enemy or there's even passives in the Rogue tree such as Persistent Distraction which automatically makes any enemy you engage vulnerable to Sneak Attack.

What monks add is DPS buffs and also "free" attacks which automatically trigger off critical hits. Rogues do have certain abilities which help with fishing for crits such as the Dirty Fighting passive that gives crit conversion and also the Confounding Blind attack which lowers deflection. That's one synergy I see with going Rogue/Monk off the bat. The Helwalker/Assassin build that I recommended earlier I stand behind as being probably the best chance at accomplishing an alpha strike that can one shot enemies, but I wouldn't play it on POTD with upscaling since even getting the full damage bonuses and proccing the free attacks still might not one shot things and you can only do it 7 times in a fight. It's not really something I that wholeheartedly recommend and I could see it being frustrating. There's other monk/rogue combos like Trickster/Nalzpazca that I would like a lot more for an easier to manage and durable frontliner.

If monk isn't suiting your needs, there's plenty of other great classes that multiclass with Rogues that synergize with and amplifies their damage and while also providing nice defenses such as paladins or ciphers.

With this in mind, I think I want something that can let me apply a bunch of status effects to enemies so that way I'm always sneak-attacking. I'm gonna give a go at a Cipher\Rogue because Cipher adds damage to attacks anyway.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
To echo what Moot said, the primary benefit for any class of multiclassing with Monk are things like Swift Strikes (and its upgrade) which is just flat attack speed boosts plus potentially triggering additional attacks off of crits (extremely useful for any class that hits things with weapons) and then also stuff like heartbeat drumming which is one of the most powerful abilities in the game. A chance to attack again off of a melee critical is extremely powerful if you can manage to crit a lot.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, for multiclassing the main highlights of monk are:

1. +10 int (and +10 might for a Helwalker)
2. Swift Strikes
3. Easy interrupts
4. Good stunning options
5. Tenacious inspiration through thundering blows
6. Endgame heartbeat drumming

There's a certain appeal to being self sufficient but unless you're doing a solo run it's often better to let your companions specialize and rely on them. Your wizard, cipher, or priest should be dropping big aoe afflictions.

As a rogue/monk your game plan is to maximize crit chance and attack very fast. High Per, high dex, high might, good int, low defense. Dangerous enemies get stunned first and then wailed on. You murder enemy casters and support first, try to avoid trading blows with fighter types. It's a good MC because it benefits from micro and people naturally like to micro their MC more.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Riiiiiiight, that's making more sense. I'm coming at this from a BG perspective whereby you try to make your ONE sneak attack hit turn an enemy into a fine paste, rather than chaining a bunch of criticals.

So far I've been having fun with the Cipher\Assassin? As an Assassin, I'm super squishy, but the Cipher abilities gives me a few ways to get myself out of trouble. Eyestrike and Mental Binding are pretty great to either help you disengage, or re-engage safely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, for multiclassing the main highlights of monk are:

1. +10 int (and +10 might for a Helwalker)
2. Swift Strikes
3. Easy interrupts
4. Good stunning options
5. Tenacious inspiration through thundering blows
6. Endgame heartbeat drumming

There's a certain appeal to being self sufficient but unless you're doing a solo run it's often better to let your companions specialize and rely on them. Your wizard, cipher, or priest should be dropping big aoe afflictions.

As a rogue/monk your game plan is to maximize crit chance and attack very fast. High Per, high dex, high might, good int, low defense. Dangerous enemies get stunned first and then wailed on. You murder enemy casters and support first, try to avoid trading blows with fighter types. It's a good MC because it benefits from micro and people naturally like to micro their MC more.

As much as I pimped the crit effects and swift strikes don't discount this either. An easy source of Tenacious is extremely powerful and can be the difference between doing a lot of damage or barely any due to pen issues. This is less of a problem probably on lower difficulties but definitely on potd it's something that makes Monk very appealing

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

I've found that multiclassing monk is all about taking your other class and enhancing it with what monk brings to the table, rather than taking a monk and enhancing it with another class. So if you want monk/rogue your base playstyle should be a rogue with monk benefits, not a monk with rogue benefits. Mostly this is because monk fists scale with PL so if I feel like punching things, diluting monk levels with another class actively makes things worse, so I'd rather just single class all my monks if what I'm looking for is a punch monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Helwalker and Shattered Pillar pair well with other DPS classes, though the latter is somewhat limited by the “only normal attacks feed you resources” bit.

Multiclassing generally is constrained by action economy, like a lot of other RPG systems that allow it - if both your classes are about activated abilities it’s likely one or the other will be neglected, especially with SP or most Cipher classes that don’t respond to other classes’ specials (more than likely, not having that check would make them absurdly powerful). Which is why classes with persistent or scaling passives (most obviously Chanter) are the go-tos.

If the Monk’s turning wheel ability weren’t kicked so far down the ability list (I want to say it was available earlier in PoE1?) it would make for a better multi.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 15, 2023