Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

wrong.

left

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Hunger of Sejanoz posted:

You follow the passageway to a circular chamber with badly scraped walls and a smooth wooden floor. A wooden door is set flush into the opposite wall. Your Kai Sixth Sense warns you that something is wrong here, but the chamber is empty and you cannot see any obvious dangers. High above, you glimpse the ceiling. It is stained a dull, sooty black.

You detect the faint outline of dusty footprints leading across the chamber to the opposite door. You are eager to follow them, but your Kai Sixth Sense is making you feel uncertain that it is safe to do so.
Shall we cross the chamber or turn around and take the other passage?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

gently caress you, Kai Sense, you're not my dad.

Cross.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Indecisive! Go back and turn left.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

When have we ever taken any notice of danger warnings? Cross the streams chamber.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

RudeCat posted:

gently caress you, Kai Sense, you're not my dad.

Cross.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Indecisive! Go back and turn left.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Black Robe posted:

When have we ever taken any notice of danger warnings? Cross the streams chamber.

Boldly you set off across the chamber, taking care to tread only where there are footprints. You are within a few feet of the opposite door when suddenly the entire floor falls away like a huge hinged trapdoor. You plummet headlong into a yawning shaft and plunge into a pool of freezing water. As you break the surface, you hear the sound of giant stone cogs and the rattle of heavy chains. The ceiling is beginning to descend. It moves down the shaft like a giant plunger and your heart skips a beat when you see that it is not stained with soot after all. It is dried blood, the blood of countless men who have unwittingly fallen victim to this devilish trap.

The ceiling continues its downward travel until you are pushed below the surface. Then it halts abruptly, trapping you underwater among a tangle of mouldering bones. For ten long minutes you survive by the use of your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus, but then the dull pain in your lungs begins to intensify until they feel as if they are going to explode.

The Sabito Root enables you to breathe underwater and stay alive until the ceiling begins to rise. (Remember to erase the Sabito Root from your Action Chart.)

As the ceiling clears the surface, you thrust your head out of the water and gulp great lungfuls of the dank, stale air. The ceiling rises all the way to the top of the shaft, and you begin a climb towards the doorway. The walls of the shaft are deeply ridged and you have no difficulty in reaching the door before the great wooden floor rises up and locks into position.

Beyond the door you discover a dark corridor. As you explore this dingy tunnel, you hear the sound of voices getting steadily louder. You recognize them to be the voices of the tomb robbers who stole your Kai Weapon. They are gloating over your blade, and you hear one man say that it must be worth more than all the treasures of the graveyard put together. At the end of the corridor you see an arched wooden door, banded with strips of black iron. You peer carefully through its keyhole and see the robbers in the room beyond, silhouetted against the flames of a log fire. With grim determination, you resolve to attack them and recapture your stolen blade.

You steel yourself for the attack, and then you kick open the door and launch yourself screaming into the chamber beyond. Your sudden appearance catches the robbers completely by surprise, but to your dismay, you soon discover that one of your adversaries is armed with your Kai Weapon which he delights in using against you.
    Tomb Robbers (with Kai Weapon):
    COMBAT SKILL 52 ENDURANCE 48
If your Kai Weapon is ‘Illuminatus’, add 2 points to the Tomb Robbers’ COMBAT SKILL because the Tomb Robber is wielding it underground. If your Kai Weapon is ‘Valiance’ and you possess Kai-alchemy or Magi-magic, add 3 points to the Tomb Robbers’ COMBAT SKILL because the Tomb Robber is wielding it against a magician. If your Kai Weapon is ‘Kaistar’, add 2 points to the Tomb Robbers’ COMBAT SKILL because the Tomb Robber is wielding it at night. If your Kai Weapon is 'Firefall', add 3 to the Tomb Robbers' COMBAT SKILL if you use Grand Weaponmastery at the rank of Sun Lord to cause your current weapon to ignite during this combat. Also, if your Kai Weapon was damaged during a previous Lone Wolf New Order adventure, remember to apply the appropriate penalty to the Grave Robbers’ COMBAT SKILL.
Wise Hawk: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 15
Tomb Robbers (with Kai Weapon): COMBAT SKILL 50 ENDURANCE 48
Combat Ratio: -11

We roll: 3
Wise Hawk: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 2
Wise Hawk: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 0

Death count: 2.

The Project Aon version of the original book includes the extra rulings about Kai Weapons (except for Firefall) as optional.

This fight is unavoidable in both versions and, as far as I can tell, practically unwinnable for a player attempting this book as stand-alone. Unless you get absurdly lucky with your dice rolls, you're going to die.

So do we want to skip the fight and carry on with 15 EP, pretend we just scraped by and continue with 1 EP, or go zombie mode and continue with 0 EP until we can find some way to heal up?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s sneak by at 1 ep.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

0 EP, let's carry on through sheer determination.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Zombie mode!

BRAINSSS……

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

0 EP, let's carry on through sheer determination.

You retrieve your Kai Weapon from the hand of a dead tomb robber, and wipe its blade clean before sheathing it in your scabbard. (You may now restore the details of your Kai Weapon to your list of Special Items.)

A brief search of this room reveals a large amount of stolen graveyard booty, but there is nothing here of any practical value to you. However, if you have found some Concentrated Activated Leafwater during your adventure, turn immediately to 347.

If you have not, to one side of the room’s brick fireplace you discover a bolted door, and you sense that someone is being held captive in the room beyond. Cautiously you draw back the bolt and tug on the door handle. As it creaks open, you are assailed by a revolting smell that even your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus cannot counter. Burying your mouth and nose in the sleeve of your tunic, you take your first tentative step into the gloomy chamber beyond.

Cowering in the corner of this dingy candlelit cell, you see a ragged old man dressed in grimy grey robes. He is the source of the foul odour that threatens to suffocate you. When he sees you, his dirt-encrusted face cracks into the parody of a smile and he waves his hands excitedly in the air.

‘My, my, a Kai Lord Master! I’m truly honoured to have you visit, sir. But I see my odour offends you. Wait, I shall soon remedy that.’ And with these words he produces a pinch of grey powder from his pocket and casts it into the air. Instantly the vile smell is transformed into the wonderful bouquet of fresh roses. You ask the old man how he came to be trapped here, and he recounts the calamities that have befallen him. You learn that his name is Vannar and that he is a lowly humble magician. He was born in Bhanar but was forced to leave when he attempted to organize opposition to Autarch Sejanoz in his home city of Yua Tzhan. He became a hermit and eked out a solitary existence here in the ruins of Zanaza. His life was lonely but peaceful, until the tomb robbers arrived one day and took over his underground retreat. The vile smell that he exuded earlier was the only way he had of keeping those cut-throats at bay.

When you tell him that the Autarch has invaded Chai, he becomes agitated. He fears that he will be found and murdered by Sejanoz’s agents.

‘With respect, Vannar,’ you say, ‘I don’t think the Autarch will bother sending his men after you.’

‘Oh yes he will,’ replies the grimy old magician, in a deadly serious tone. ‘And you would believe what I say if you knew what I possess, Sir Kai Grand Master.’

Vannar delves among the pile of rags that litter the floor and produces a gleaming arrow, crafted of pure korlinium. Even in the poor light of this cell, the missile shimmers and gleams, radiating all of the colours of the rainbow. Its halo of light reveals its sorcerous origins.

‘This was crafted by the Elder Magi millennia ago. It harbours the power to slay the vampire, Lord Sejanoz. This is the reason why he would send his agents to pursue me, if he knew where I was.’

You are impressed by the wondrous arrow, and you ask Vannar what he intends to do with it. He surprises you with his forthright reply.

‘I intend to make a gift of it to you, my lord Grand Master. It is fitting that a Kai should possess this weapon. I pray that one day you shall be able to put it to its proper purpose—to use this missile to slay the tyrant lord of Bhanar.’

Reverently he hands the arrow to you and you accept it gratefully.

Record this Arrow of Atonement as a Special Item. You must discard another item if you already carry the maximum number permissible.

You thank Vannar and promise that you will use the weapon wisely. He smiles benignly, and then he offers to show you a swift way to reach the surface of Zanaza. You accept his offer and follow him into the adjoining chamber where he opens a concealed panel in the wall. Beyond, you see a narrow flight of steps which ascend to an oval door.

‘That door leads to the streets,’ he says. You ask him if he wishes to leave with you, but he shakes his head firmly in reply.

‘Now that you have put paid to the robbers, my home is my own once more. I shall stay here.’ You bid farewell to Vannar, and then you climb the steps and leave through the oval door.

On your return to the caravan encampment, you discover that everyone is asleep except the sentries. Before you settle down to rest, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

You wake at first light and breakfast with Chan. He is surprised to see your Kai Weapon scabbarded at your side, and he asks how you came to retrieve it. You tell him that you happened upon the robbers by chance last night, and merely asked the good fellows to return it. Chan laughs when he hears this. ‘Well, we’ll not be seeing any more from those fine fellows again, I dare say,’ he says, and a wry smile spreads across his wide face.

The caravan leaves Zanaza within the hour, and as it follows the stony road east towards Fort Vlau, you note a battered signpost which states that the Lissanian stronghold lies 150 miles away. Chan estimates the journey will take four days.

The first day of the journey passes uneventfully, but around noon of the second you see the highway approaching a distant forest. Your Sixth Sense gives you a premonition of danger, and when you tell Chan of your concerns, he halts the caravan and insists that the two of you scout the forest to make sure it is safe to pass through.
Shall we approach the forest via the highway or the plains?

A couple of sections added here, but they're pretty inconsequentual. Not sure where the Leafwater came from - I must have missed it somewhere earlier.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks for the arrow, stink wizard.

Better check out the forest via the highway.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
highway

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
plains

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RudeCat posted:

Better check out the forest via the highway.

The trees seem unnaturally quiet and chill as you follow the pebble-strewn highway into the heart of this unnamed forest. Steadily the temperature drops as you ride deeper into the pines, until frost dusts the branches and frozen puddles appear on the road ahead. You sense that evil magic is at work here and you tell Chan that it would be wise to go no further. He heeds your advice and you rein your horses to a halt. But as you are turning them about, you are shocked to see that something is now blocking the road behind you.

You shudder with dread when you look upon the ghastly hulking forms of the two creatures standing before you now. At first glance they seem to resemble the Baknars that roam the frozen wastes of Kalte, with their thick white fur and ridged horns. But you sense that these creatures are not of any natural origin, but are born of vile sorcery. Their eyes glow with a malevolent light and they exhale plumes of icy breath that freeze everything they touch.

You look east along the highway for a way to escape from these beasts, but when you magnify your vision, you see that the road is blocked by a great hill of snow and ice. The surrounding pines are too dense to attempt swift escape on horseback, and you slowly begin to realize that these creatures have you trapped.

Chan draws his kirusami and levels it at the ice-beasts. ‘Let’s run these cold-hearts down!’ he shouts, with great bravado. ‘One swift charge and we’ll be out of this frigid woodland before they know what’s hit them.’
Do we agree to this plan or disagree?i

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Charge!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Disagree. I want to see the alternative plan.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

But if you want to know what the other choice was, it's what we did last time.

You try to steady your nervous horse as you wait for Chan’s signal to charge. But before it comes, one of the creatures gives vent to a blood-curdling roar. The sound terrifies your horse and she refuses to move. You are gripped by the sudden fear that if the hulking horrors decide to charge at you, you will be unable to evade them. Quickly you try to think of some way you can prevent this calamity from befalling you and your petrified horse.

Before you can devise a plan of action, one of the ice-fiends turns its head towards you and holds you with its terrifying eyes. In the next instant, it belches forth a cone of ice that hurtles towards you like a huge crossbow bolt.

In mid-flight, the icy missile splits in two and each half strikes a horse squarely in the chest. Simultaneously they rear up in agony, and both you and Chan are sent tumbling backwards to crash down upon the frost-hardened earth.

We roll: 3 - 2 (low EP) = 1.

The instant you hit the ground, a flash of white light engulfs your vision and you feel yourself tumbling backwards into a deep, dark abyss. The fall has rendered you unconscious and, sadly, you will never regain your senses. The ghastly ice creatures bear down on you and ruthlessly they tear you limb from limb.
    Mercifully, your death is painless and instantaneous, but your life and your mission end here.
Death count: 3.

Do we want to reroll for a better result, or go back and disagree with Chan's plan?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You know what? Let’s re-roll!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Maybe the leafwater was an anti-cheat penalty.

Reroll. The whole bonus for named weapons used against you is pretty antithematic, considering how much the series is about making yourself into a demigod.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Re-Roll out!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In mid-flight, the icy missile splits in two and each half strikes a horse squarely in the chest. Simultaneously they rear up in agony, and both you and Chan are sent tumbling backwards to crash down upon the frost-hardened earth.

We roll: 6 - 2 (low EP) = 4.

The fall leaves you with a deeply gashed scalp and a badly bruised shoulder: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

You stagger to your feet to discover that Chan has been knocked unconscious, and both of your horses have been killed outright by the creature’s deadly ice-bolts. Frantically, you unsheathe your Kai Weapon as both of the hulking horrors bear down on you. As they close in for the kill, long claws extend from their paws and they open their fearsome frost-rimmed jaws to reveal a cluster of serrated fangs.

Brumalghasts:
    COMBAT SKILL 57 ENDURANCE 50
If you possess the Kai Weapon ‘Valiance’, you will benefit from its unique properties. If you possess Elementalism or Grand Nexus, you may increase your COMBAT SKILL by 3 for the duration of this fight.
Fight skipped as we are currently a zombie.

Upon the death of the last Brumalghast, you feel the temperature in this part of the forest begin to rise. The death of these creatures has broken the spell, and nature has already started to reclaim this cursed timberland. Using your healing skills, you revive Chan and then hurry westwards along the highway on foot, towards the caravan. Upon emerging from the forest, you are sighted by Sergeant Yeng. He is leading a party of scouts that have been scouring the tree-line in search of you.

It is nearly dark by the time you return to the caravan, and Kau-Doshin is gravely concerned to hear of your deadly encounter in the forest. He orders that night camp be made on the highway and, on Chan’s advice, he agrees that the caravan will have to travel across country tomorrow to avoid the perilous timberland.

Next day, the journey proves to be much harder than Kau-Doshin could have imagined. The caravan is forced to slow its speed for fear of breaking an axle as it crosses the uneven grasslands. You and Captain Chan now ride the horses that were given to Xo-lin by the nomad chief, Bazan. They are fine thoroughbreds, fleet of foot and highly disciplined.

During the afternoon, you come upon a narrow stream and Chan orders the caravan to halt so that the horses may be fed and watered. You are sharing a loaf of bread with one of the troopers when suddenly you hear a shrill scream of fright. It comes from Princess Mitzu’s carriage and you sense that the young Prince is in danger.
Should we investigate the scream or ignore it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Investigate.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Investigate.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tiggum posted:

ignore it

it's probably fine

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jesus those mixed fights and challenges look impossible for "this is my first book" players. Investigate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Jesus those mixed fights and challenges look impossible for "this is my first book" players.
The idea that you could jump in at any book and succeed is absurd if you actually think about how Combat Skill works and consider all the bonuses that may apply. I once worked out that by book 17 the player's CS could be anywhere between 25 and 56 (under what I think is the most likely reading of the rules - certain readings make the range even larger). An enemy with a CS of 36 is basically a game-ending brick wall for someone with a CS of 25, but may as well not even exist for someone whose CS is 47 or higher. And worse than that, the problem basically starts in book 3. You roll up a fresh character for The Caverns of Kalte and you might have a CS as low as 10. Play through from book one, your CS could be 33 (if you rolled a 9, picked Mindblast and Weaponskill with swords, picked up a Shield and got the Sommerswerd). It's a terrible system.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The scream ends abruptly and you think no more about it until you see two troopers running towards the Princess’s carriage. You sense that something is seriously amiss, and you decide that perhaps it would be best if you investigated further.

On reaching the carriage, you discover Princess Mitzu consoling her young son who is shivering with fright. Chan is nearby, holding a dead serpent by the tail. You swallow hard when you see that it is a scarlet viper, a notoriously poisonous venomous snake. One of Chan’s troopers is being restrained by two of his comrades, and he is pleading his innocence.

‘What is going on?’ you ask.

Chan explains that the Prince disturbed the viper which was asleep under the covers of his cot.

‘He is lucky to be alive,’ says Mitzu, hugging him close. ‘His cries alerted Captain Chan and me, and when we arrived, we found Trooper Yankin inside the carriage. I suspect he is an enemy agent, one of the Autarch’s spies.’

‘I’m not, I swear it!’ retorts the accused man. ‘I was nearby when I heard the Prince scream. I rushed into the carriage to save him. I thought he was being attacked.’

You stare directly into the accused man’s eyes and your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that he may be speaking the truth.
Shall we use Kai-surge or not?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Tiggum posted:

You stare directly into the accused man’s eyes and your Kai Sixth Sense tells you that he may be speaking the truth.

Your supernatural powers tell you this guy might be lying to you. Thanks.

Let’s surge this fool.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Your supernatural powers tell you this guy might be lying to you. Thanks.

Let’s surge this fool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

From the latest newsletter:

No word one the bonus adventures or an actual publication date for book 32 though. And the (newly redesigned) website has dead links for the "Grand Master (2023)", "New Order (2024)" and "End Game (2025)" sections. Although in the "what happened" section it does say that "Ben and co-author Vincent Lazzari are now working on the final book - Light of the Kai - in time for the 40th Anniversary of the series in 2024", so whether we'll get book 32 this year and book 33 in 2024, or both next year, or 32 in 2024 and 33 in 2025, is anyone's guess.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 15, 2023

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I trust him. Do not surge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Spare him. We're barely interested in the whole affair, why start now?