Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also I've seen this image doing the rounds, and most of the pages which posted it are guessing it's a wolf/hyena hybrid or a dire wolf or some equally dumb bullshit. (A hyena/wold hybrid isn't possible, hyenas aren't canines and they're more closely related to cats than to dogs. Dire wolves weren't some huge bulky monstrous creatures, they were approximately similar size as extant wolves and probably looked extremely similar.)

A quick reverse image search shows that the background is a manipulation of this old stock image photo:

I'm guessing that the monster was created by an AI app and someone pasted onto a random forest background. There's a lot of FB and Youtube cryptozoology pages using AI generated art to illustrate stories and I expect a whole lot more of this stuff getting passed off as unsourced "potentially real, who are we to judge?? Just asking questions!!!" clickbait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I hope one day I can such a bigfoot expert that when someone uploads a lovely cam bigfoot pic i can be like "i recognize which replica that is i can tell by the individual hairs on the chest"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know this bigfoot model intimately and emotionally

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After some sleuthing around, the creature looks similar enough to make me wonder if it's some retouched effects shot from the Rampage (2018) movie :iiam:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kvlt! posted:

I hope one day I can such a bigfoot expert that when someone uploads a lovely cam bigfoot pic i can be like "i recognize which replica that is i can tell by the individual hairs on the chest"

Back in 2013 a paranormal investigator called Norm Glasser was trying to pass off this photo as a genuine bigfoot photo complete with a bogus story about how he'd had an earlier sighting and had gone back to look for the creature and had been bailed up in his car by it and was so scared he could only fire off a few photos on his camera before he hightailed it out of there

Within 24 hours of the photo hitting the internet someone identified it as the Creature Of Sugar Flats Road, a poorly constructed freakshow attraction displayed in an antique store in a town just outside of Nashville Tennessee

Captain Hygiene posted:

After some sleuthing around, the creature looks similar enough to make me wonder if it's some retouched effects shot from the Rampage (2018) movie :iiam:

poo poo that's really close. Feels like the image was created by an AI bot which was trained using stills from that film

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also I've seen this image doing the rounds, and most of the pages which posted it are guessing it's a wolf/hyena hybrid or a dire wolf or some equally dumb bullshit. (A hyena/wold hybrid isn't possible, hyenas aren't canines and they're more closely related to cats than to dogs. Dire wolves weren't some huge bulky monstrous creatures, they were approximately similar size as extant wolves and probably looked extremely similar.)

A quick reverse image search shows that the background is a manipulation of this old stock image photo:

I'm guessing that the monster was created by an AI app and someone pasted onto a random forest background. There's a lot of FB and Youtube cryptozoology pages using AI generated art to illustrate stories and I expect a whole lot more of this stuff getting passed off as unsourced "potentially real, who are we to judge?? Just asking questions!!!" clickbait

For some reason the whiteness of its teeth bothers me the most about this. Why did they go with Hollywood-white teeth for this?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Offler posted:

For some reason the whiteness of its teeth bothers me the most about this. Why did they go with Hollywood-white teeth for this?

The whole thing looks mildly goofy. When I saw the thumbnail I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at, so when it opened full size and I saw its "HELLO!" face I just laughed.

Like, if you're going to fake a picture of "a wolf maybe" there must have been a million better options than that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A bit tangentially related to the topic but I recently read some account about the haunting of a small stone hut in the Icelandic highlands called Sćluhús á Jökulsá á fjöllum (e. Resting place by the Glacial River in the mountains). Though most of the accounts are about things literally going bump in the night. there are two stories that feature an actual seemingly physical creature. Probably doesn't quite qualify as a cryptid as it's explicitly supernatural but I found it interesting.

The house itself was built in 1882 as a shelter for shepherds and other travelers that needed to stop for the night as it was by a major river. The river was not bridged until the mid 20th century so before then it was only crossable via a small raft. If you arrived late you would need to wait until the next day for a ferryman and Icelandic weather can be somewhat wet and cold which made that a less then pleasing prospect. The house is made from stone and has a small basement meant for storing sheep and horses. The house consist of two small rooms, separated by some boards, one of which has some benches to sleep on the other containing a stove and small dining area.

The first signs of paranormal activity came in 1894 when a shepherd and farmhand called Benedikt Sigurjónsson, called Fjalla-Bensi (Mountain Benny) for his tendency to travel great distances alone over highlands, was staying alone in the house on his way to a nearby farm. He awoke in the middle of the night to someone knocking on the window. At first he thought it was other visitors announcing themselves but he was tired so he didn't stand up to greet them, next came an even louder banging on the door. The door was unlocked so Bensi simply cursed and rolled around in bed. Then, without the door being opened, the knocks started coming from inside the house. Bensi jumped out of bed and looked around the empty room when suddenly he heard a very loud knock on the wall right next to his head. This frightened him so much he ran all the way to the nearest farm and swore that for most of the way he could hear something running behind him though he never dared to look around to see what it was.

Bensi returned to the sćluhús several times the last time in 1921, but never alone, and every time everyone present heard a similar knocking in the night but he was never chased away again.

The first sighting of a creature occurs in 1918* when Jóhannes Jónsson, nicknamed Drauma-Jói (Dreaming Joe) for his prophetic dreams, was staying in the sćluhús with some colleagues and thought he heard strange noises from the basement at night. So they exited the house and were entering the basement when Jói suddenly snuffed out his match in a panic. Jói saw a creature in the basement and was so horrified that he wanted to protect his friends the trauma of seeing something so horrifying. He described the creature only vaguely, a he saw it only briefly and with his match as the only light-source, but he described it as being "hairy and terrible about the size of winter-old calf." and claimed it was the most disgusting thing he ever saw. Almost immediately he lit another match and searched the basement but couldn't find any trace of the creature.

Sometime later (haven't managed to find the exact date yet) another group of men was sleeping in the house. One of them Ţórhallur Kristjánsson (no nickname) noticed that his dog Hringur seemed unusually jumpy and would constantly growl at nothing and run around the house as if chasing, or fleeing, something. Ţórhallur had often suspected his dog saw things that people, or even most dogs, didn't see but he had never seen Hringur this agitated. There was some knocking in the evening but the group was exhausted so they mostly slept through it. However Ţórhallur woke up in the middle of the night feeling very thirsty but as there was no running water in the house he made his way outside to drink from a stream. Just after he finished his last sip he heard his dog barking at something behind him and when he turned around he saw it fighting with a bipedal creature that he said was "about as large as a sheep standing on it's hindlegs" and that before he could make out the form of the creature all he could see was its bright glowing eyes seemingly floating in mid-air. Hringur drove the creature around the corner of the house and Ţórhallur chased after them but before he could round the corner himself Hringur was thrown back towards him. The dog was shaken but uninjured and when Ţórhallur searched the area he could find no more trace of the creature, but it was very foggy so it wouldn't have had to run far to disappear into the mist.

No legends about any such creature exist in local folklore neither before nor after these sightings and though the common theory was that the house, despite being nearly brand new and not built on the site of any previous settlement, was haunted no one could agree for what reason. One theory was that it was the ghost of a man who sought to rent the house as a farm after it was first built but was denied and taken it badly and sworn revenge. However that man had died after emigrating to America, far away from the site of the haunting. The other supposed ghost was a postman who had tried to make the trek across the mountain while sick but eventually given up and tried to rest in the house only to die in his sleep there. Why either of these men would appear as a hairy animal-man in death is unclear.

The house now belongs to the national museum of Iceland and is open to visitors from 8 to18:00 during the summer months. No one has stayed in it overnight for decades so it is unknown if the haunting persists.

*I think, I've read a few accounts and they aren't all consistent on the year.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That was really interesting, thanks for sharing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dang, creepy stuff. That looks like the opposite of my usual mental image of where I'd be creeped out alone at night, I always imagine stuff lurking around in a forest but just having a big empty nothing around me would also feel pretty weird.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dire wolves from what we can tell were on average as heavy and as big as the heaviest/biggest recorded wolves and they basically double the weight of the average wolf, and while the the cranium and such share a lot of features of wolves through convergent evolution they aren't really closely related to wolves, more to jackals or African wild dogs. They were different enough that there is currently zero indication genetically that any crossbreeding occured.

We as a species don't really have a good descriptive base line for large canines other than wolves though.

Anyways sorry for the splurge I just like Paleo animals.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Jan 18, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

FreudianSlippers posted:

A bit tangentially related to the topic but I recently read some account about the haunting of a small stone hut in the Icelandic highlands called Sæluhús á Jökulsá á fjöllum (e. Resting place by the Glacial River in the mountains). Though most of the accounts are about things literally going bump in the night. there are two stories that feature an actual seemingly physical creature. Probably doesn't quite qualify as a cryptid as it's explicitly supernatural but I found it interesting.

Thanks, real interesting. Especially as they seem like very organic tales, not "I saw Bigfoot / famous cryptid / alien". It's these weird stories that don't fit a pattern that are the most fascinating.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Recreate ancient apex human predators and release them into every financial district and economic forum globally. Let them feast on the rich.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

R.L. Stine posted:

On the other hand there's an episode (possibly more!) that features an old hillbilly stumbling through the forest and falling down multiple times and then claimed bigfoot possessed him. So I support TV Bigfoot and its mystical powers.

That may have actually been an episode of my favorite cryptid show, Mountain Monsters. It is essentially the Bigfoot equivalent of professional wrestling; it's fake, the crew knows it's fake, and it has batshit storyline.

I lost track of it when I cut cable, but when I did, the storyline was WILD. One crew member was indeed kidnapped by a group of sasquatch and mind controlled. They were able to break it by pulling a Total Recall and removing a mystic object from his nose.

That group of five sasquatch featured in the next season and each had a different power over nature and were known as the Thunder Brothers. IIRC, the squatch hunters ended up having to protect them by racing to find a series of artifacts before an EVIL rival group of squatch poachers found them.

And remember that no actual sasquatch ever appeared onscreen. They just leaned into the insanity and it was dumb fun. One particular episode had the whole group get kidnapped by the evil poachers and tied up in a cabin while the evil poacher leader taunted them from behind a two-way glass and wore a Jigsaw-esque mask. The camera crew, of course, was free to walk around and film.

It absolutely took the piss out of shows like Finding Bigfoot, but presented itself and was advertised as seriously as those shows.

Moai Ou has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Jan 18, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

And remember that no actual sasquatch ever appeared onscreen. They just leaned into the insanity and it was dumb fun. One particular episode had the whole group get kidnapped by the evil poachers and tied up in a cabin while the evil poacher leader tainted them from behind a two-way glass and wore a Jigsaw-esque mask. The camera crew, of course, was free to walk around and film.

Lmao, I absolutely need to check this out.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lmao, I absolutely need to check this out.

I found the relevant clip here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC8CwhiqKcQ&t=230s

It's so loving stupid, I love it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Moai Ou posted:

That's exactly what I imagined.

Wikipedia posted:

On April 5, 2015, Matt Moneymaker of Finding Bigfoot tweeted that Mountain Monsters was scripted and the A.I.M.S. team were merely actors. "Trapper" John Tice responded to the tweet, denying that he was an actor and referring to Moneymaker's show as "Losing Bigfoot".[24] The online feud has continued with Finding Bigfoot castmember Cliff Barackman chiming in that the show is "fiction"[25] and the official Finding Bigfoot Twitter account calling Mountain Monsters a "fake-hoax" show in regards to the series' April 2017 return.[26]

Somebody's angry :allears:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Moai Ou posted:

This is incredible, I had no idea

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moai Ou posted:

That may have actually been an episode of my favorite cryptid show, Mountain Monsters. It is essentially the Bigfoot equivalent of professional wrestling; it's fake, the crew knows it's fake, and it has batshit storyline.

I lost track of it when I cut cable, but when I did, the storyline was WILD. One crew member was indeed kidnapped by a group of sasquatch and mind controlled. They were able to break it by pulling a Total Recall and removing a mystic object from his nose.

That group of five sasquatch featured in the next season and each had a different power over nature and were known as the Thunder Brothers. IIRC, the squatch hunters ended up having to protect them by racing to find a series of artifacts before an EVIL rival group of squatch poachers found them.

And remember that no actual sasquatch ever appeared onscreen. They just leaned into the insanity and it was dumb fun. One particular episode had the whole group get kidnapped by the evil poachers and tied up in a cabin while the evil poacher leader taunted them from behind a two-way glass and wore a Jigsaw-esque mask. The camera crew, of course, was free to walk around and film.

It absolutely took the piss out of shows like Finding Bigfoot, but presented itself and was advertised as seriously as those shows.

The early seasons of the show were pretty much "monster of the week" episodes where they traveled to a new destination to hunt a different cryptid every time and they were a bunch of fun, with the team always building a different wacky trap every episode and then running around the woods at night shooting guns and falling down ravines and screaming "IT'S RIGHT THERE! IT'S COMING RIGHT AT US!" and then they kept ramping up the craziness and started adding ongoing storylines and conspiracies and mind control until it became a full on soap opera

Apparently a lot of people in the bigfooting community thought the show was real and you can see them slowly start coming around to the idea that mayyyyyybe it was a bit fake over time, it's loving hilarious.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

The house itself was built in 1882 as a shelter for shepherds and other travelers that needed to stop for the night as it was by a major river.

As others have mentioned, very interesting! Thanks for sharing, I love stuff like this. The house itself sounds reminiscent of Scottish bothies, which are little houses, often in the absolute middle of nowhere (e.g. no services or anybody to check in on them regularly) you can sleep in while hiking mountains. Often also filled with beercans/etc. but they also sometimes have stories like the above attached to them.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Mountain monsters dug itself into a hole when they realized there's only so many Bigfoots go find in west Virginia.

But drat was that show stupid fun. The last season (before trapper passed rip) was bonkers. Cults. Shadow organization. Saw like puzzles. A door that literally went to another dimension.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's kinda weird that these Bigfoot hunting shows like Mountain Monster resort to elaborate storylines full of literal magic and evil conspiracies that push the most generous limits of kayfabe, just so they can say that things are happening other than just some guys bumbling in the woods or whatever. It reaches a point where you have to ask why they don't just, ya know... maybe have a guy in a Bigfoot costume show up for half a second on camera? Like it never crosses that line. Anything else, including fake kidnappings and cults and magic dimension doors are apparently okay, but just having Bigfoot actually appear as an effect would be too far.

Is it like a legal thing where they couldn't even pretend to be a real docuseries anymore if they just flat out fabricated a Bigfoot and would need giant disclaimers in front of each episode, or is it more a gentleman's agreement?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
As soon as you get a guy in a Bigfoot suit on there you lose all credibility. (LOL right) the idea of there *maybe* being something out there is more alluring than say straight up having 10 Bigfoots on screen or something.

It's funny because M.M had a "women of the woods" episode and she kept jump scaring the poo poo out of the boys and getting got on thermal and regular camera

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

It's kinda weird that these Bigfoot hunting shows like Mountain Monster resort to elaborate storylines full of literal magic and evil conspiracies that push the most generous limits of kayfabe, just so they can say that things are happening other than just some guys bumbling in the woods or whatever. It reaches a point where you have to ask why they don't just, ya know... maybe have a guy in a Bigfoot costume show up for half a second on camera? Like it never crosses that line.

In every monster-of-the-week episode they always had a 'witness' come forwards with a photo or a blurry video and they were always really careful to make sure the video was SUPER indistinct, they were real crafty about it.

Also very very rarely they actually caught the creature they were after such as Hogzilla which was really obviously just a regular domestic pig, not even a wild hog. In this case at least they went "Well the witnesses obviously mistook this for a monster but at least we solved the mystery!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDm6FVbg8TE

I think there was another one where they were hunting demon dogs or something and in the end they caught some of them and showed some indistinct infrared footage of some dogs in the trap they'd made and went "Welp, job well done!" and ended the episode right there

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
All of this sounds incredible. I always assumed it was just a generic Finding Bigfoot thing. Gonna check out some episodes over lunch.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hilariously, Finding Bigfoot and Mountain Monsters had a twitter feud which lasted for years (or at least the MM's PR intern had a feud with them)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/18/1149911920/julian-sands-missing
Squatched?!?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

First Rime, now this guy, who's next?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone put together a video compilation of crazy-rear end moments from Mountain Monsters if anyone is curious and wants a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzxPKWkTC6I

Trapper sure wasn't lying when he said they weren't actors. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vanished without a trace in dangerous conditions...exactly how I'd expect a squatch to strike

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

Vanished without a trace in dangerous conditions...exactly how I'd expect a squatch to strike

There's a big conspiracy theory about people who go missing in national parks called Missing 411 which has spun a series of books and even a 'documentary', and people have linked these disappearances to bigfoot and UFOs. When data scientists looked at all the 'evidence' they concluded that there was nothing unusual in the number of people who disappear in national parks

Apparently the guy who created the conspiracy, David Paulides, has never explained what the name "Missing 411" actually means. :iiam: He's also a bigfoot hunter and he was one the main people behid the DNA investigation by Melba Ketchum which determined that bigfoots were a hybrid between humans and an as yet unknown species of giant lemurs

Here's a podcast debunking Missing 411: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4794

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I've read some about the Missing 411 stuff and seen it pop up from time to time when I wander onto certain message boards, it's crazy how much people get into it and add various mysteries onto it. I like the quote wikipedia links from a skeptical analysis: "Paulides... gave no reason for these disappearances but finds odd correlations for them. For example, two women missing in different years both had names starting with an 'A' with three-letters, Amy and Ann." Real big brain :tinfoil: stuff in there. I haven't heard the podcast, but I'll check it out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I used to listen to the Mysterious Universe podcast for laughs and they really fixated on Missing 411 for a long time.

That used to be a fun podcast to occasionally listen to, especially because they seemed to have a slight tethering to reality (mocking Alex Jones and Trump and related right wing figures, pointing out things that were obvious hoaxes or too bizarre to take seriously), but they started going really off the deep end with anti-China paranoia and then at the start of covid they went full Plandemic promoting, and I stopped even casually dropping in at that point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chairman Capone posted:

I used to listen to the Mysterious Universe podcast for laughs and they really fixated on Missing 411 for a long time.

I watched the first doc, and didn't realize it was about aliens until I watched the second doc, when they explicitly spelled it out.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched the first doc, and didn't realize it was about aliens until I watched the second doc, when they explicitly spelled it out.

The first doc is sad because clearly the granddads buddy murdered that kid, and nobody wants to admit it.

:(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the large pieces of rugged nature periodically have people fall off of high places and so forth, and the wolves, bears, bison, etc. eat the remains in many cases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

The first doc is sad because clearly the granddads buddy murdered that kid, and nobody wants to admit it.

Clearly it was a big foot or big feet

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Pretty much anything with any element of mystery will attract conspiracy theories because "Well you can't PROVE we're wrong!!" shoots down all counter arguments as far as the conspiracy theorist are concerned

Erich von Daniken made fuckin' hay for decades with bullshit claims such as "This Mayan frieze depicts an ancient astronaut" because archaeologists hadn't figured out what it actually depicted at the time

Of course since then they figured it all out and the images depicted are actually pretty standard Mayan iconography

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

That used to be a fun podcast to occasionally listen to, especially because they seemed to have a slight tethering to reality (mocking Alex Jones and Trump and related right wing figures, pointing out things that were obvious hoaxes or too bizarre to take seriously), but they started going really off the deep end with anti-China paranoia and then at the start of covid they went full Plandemic promoting, and I stopped even casually dropping in at that point.

I used to listen to it in one ear while commuting by bike, and it was laugh out loud funny, but then in late 2018 switched to a job I had to drive to. Then COVID hit, and I listened even less, but my podcast app kept downloading each new episode. Started listening again frequently to the backlog and it's bizarre how they've slowly descended until now every single episode drops some weird anti-China remark, even where it makes no sense, like joking about UFOs and how bigfoot must be an alien, and no, it's China's fault. Also the occasional "America did it right" comments in regards to things America very much did not get right. I think the last episode I listened to they were almost excited that "it was all kicking off" and Australia (with Japan's help) was about to go to war with China, which as far as I can tell did not actually happen.

Their non-right wing insanity gets pretty samey too, everything is walk-ins and spirit attachments.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Oof yeah, that section was so sad, and felt out of place in a documentary about bigfoot/dimensional rifts/aliens/whatever David Paulides thought it was that day spiriting people away, when it just seemed like a sad family with a legit crime. It was like "We went camping with our son, as well as grandpa and his extremely weird friend. Extremely weird friend is acting shifty now our son disappeared, :iiam:"

David Paulides was apparently once a cop in San Jose, you'd think he might at least have a passing idea of what actual crimes look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

All these people went missing ON EARTH

BUT WHAT ABOUT UNDER?