Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

last year 2 people fishing died of it as they didn't have proper vents in their shack on the ice

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-ice-fishing-deaths-1.5895120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

and a bunch of people died in 2021 during the Texas ice storm. power went out and people ran generators or cars inside their homes to keep warm

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah some people died in quebec city last month and they had record numbers of people requiring hyperbaric chambers due to co poisoning

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont think ive ever heard of someone dying from it. i guess lighting up your bbq indoors is an american thing

anyway if you have a fireplace/chimney here, they get regular mandatory inspections. chimney sweep just says heads up, they will be by on so and so date or you can reschedule but you cant refuse

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i'd like to get rid of my gas line, but its soooo cheeeeap

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dont think ive ever heard of someone dying from it. i guess lighting up your bbq indoors is an american thing

anyway if you have a fireplace/chimney here, they get regular mandatory inspections. chimney sweep just says heads up, they will be by on so and so date or you can reschedule but you cant refuse

yeah those people ought to know better but this happens a lot too:

infernal machines posted:

a lot of gas utilities in house (furnace, water heater, stove)

if the ventilation fucks up they just pump CO into the unit instead and you die

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

don't run generators indoors is a p common theme around storms but quite a few people get got by snow covering their flues or by old lovely stoves and boilers leaking. my partner has had both happen in her renting career

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

i cannot stress how much better paying for things is in china. here everything is done with wechat / alipay. you just scan a qr code and you're done. or, you can open your barcode, they scan you, and you're done

I can't even add people to my WeChat friends list, I'm assuming because I'm an american't

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Serious question here -- I have the Apple iPad keyboard case -- there's no escape key. What am I supposed to use to cancel autocorrect prompts? backspace/delete actually deletes.
I have another app that says to type escape for something and I have to take my hands off the keeb and touch the screen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hed posted:

Serious question here -- I have the Apple iPad keyboard case -- there's no escape key. What am I supposed to

lol

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Hed posted:

Serious question here -- I have the Apple iPad keyboard case -- there's no escape key. What am I supposed to use to cancel autocorrect prompts? backspace/delete actually deletes.
I have another app that says to type escape for something and I have to take my hands off the keeb and touch the screen

you have to shake the entire ipad+case

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Hed posted:

rejoice, friend — timb has declared the escape key to be deprecated. no longer will you be held at the mercy of legacy pc cruft. pinch, zoom, and natural scroll to your heart’s content. you’ve earned it :cheers:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's not an """"""" american thing """"""" it's an either rich idiot or poor person getting by thing. One of these classes it's okay to make fun of. the other can be saved with a $20 detector.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I remember back when i listened to Uhh Yeah Dude, there was posting chatter about them starting to snipe and be cranky at each other more and more over a several month span. Turns out there was a CO problem in their living room

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

rejoice, friend — timb has declared the escape key to be deprecated. no longer will you be held at the mercy of legacy pc cruft. pinch, zoom, and natural scroll to your heart’s content. you’ve earned it :cheers:

I would agree with this but it has a Caps Lock key

go play outside Skyler posted:

lol

this is basically what I have resorted to.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hed posted:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard > Modifier Keys, change that silly globe key to act as the escape key, write email to tim apple telling him to put the right keys on the keyboard next time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

It's not an """"""" american thing """"""" it's an either rich idiot or poor person getting by thing. One of these classes it's okay to make fun of. the other can be saved with a $20 detector.

there are idiots of every income level, what’s needed is building codes and mandatory fire safety inspections, so in that respect I think it may be an especially American thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have an amazon card. it's ok.

before that i had an rei credit card. it was ok too.

the idea of using different credit cards to minmax rewards based on what's The Category That Month or whatever sounds like hell to me

3% cash back (almost) everywhere sounds pretty good though. maybe i should consider switching

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Carthag Tuek posted:

get regular mandatory inspections.

lol like thousands of pre WW2 homes in the rust belt aren’t going to get inspected in the states. we specialize in decay. just google news any city in those areas and you’ll find stories of CO poisoning or burned down houses due to sensors not working.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Achmed Jones posted:

the idea of using different credit cards to minmax rewards based on what's The Category That Month or whatever sounds like hell to me

yeah. i have an Apple Card and use it a lot and having the wallet app there to pay it and everything is like a million times better than any other card i've ever had

plus it makes a very satisfying sound when you drop it on a table

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Achmed Jones posted:

:same:

I have a citi double cash card, because 2% back on eveyrthing, and an apple card, because I wanted to buy a new iphone. that's it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

silence_kit posted:

Apple cardholders also are in great shape, are who everyone wants to talk to at parties, and they get all of the babes.

You mean Costco card holders

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

akadajet posted:

You mean Costco card holders

wow...

https://mobile.twitter.com/T8GR8/status/1591143590704476161

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Achmed Jones posted:

3% cash back (almost) everywhere sounds pretty good though. maybe i should consider switching

you DONT want to janitor all your credit cards and use them all over the place??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHX9vNeMpiI

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

the apple card is only 3% for a handful of brands and stores (including apple)

otherwise its just a standard 2% card

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way please don't make this thread about how much you enjoy having a goldman sachs credit card because of how much you actually love your os

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jenny Agutter posted:

there are idiots of every income level, what’s needed is building codes and mandatory fire safety inspections, so in that respect I think it may be an especially American thing

i guarantee you many, many non-americans die of carbon monoxide poisoning every year. people just either never hear about it or don't care. americans are good at making noise.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

go play outside Skyler posted:

hahaha

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

speaking of, my wife wanted to know about a keyboard for her ipad since it's newer than her old macbook

anything bluetooth should be okay, right? we don't wanna spend $300+ on the apple or the $200 for the logitech

DX24TB1
Dec 30, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

i guarantee you many, many non-americans die of carbon monoxide poisoning every year. people just either never hear about it or don't care. americans are good at making noise.

Yeah, I actually know of some cases in Denmark. Not happening very often, but the grilling indoors is also a thing here unfortunately

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, so the comparative stats in this who study say .15 unintentional, non-fire-related deaths per year per 100K in the US, .28 in canada, .48 across 11 european countries, albeit with a lot of national variation presumably based on energy sources

us homes get a lot more of its energy from electricity than europe. europe has been moving away from gas but a lot of that is going toward burning wood, which is now something over 10% of euro home energy consumption

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 18, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Vintersorg posted:

speaking of, my wife wanted to know about a keyboard for her ipad since it's newer than her old macbook

anything bluetooth should be okay, right? we don't wanna spend $300+ on the apple or the $200 for the logitech

most bluetooth keyboards should work, yeah (same with mice/trackpads). you can also use a wired keyboard now too since all of the newer ipads have usb-c (use an a->c adapter if it's old)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

if you don't want to hate it because it fucks up and refuses to wake/pair a non-zero number of times, spend the money and get at least the logitech.

you can use any old piece of poo poo and it will technically work, and you will hate it

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

rjmccall posted:

us homes get a lot more of its energy from electricity than europe. europe has been moving away from gas but a lot of that is going toward burning wood, which is now something over 10% of euro home energy consumption

that is prolly because of a/c electricity consumption

I think it's illegal to build a home that is not mainly electrically heated here in Switzerland. though I appreciate that is not necessarily the norm.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i wonder if fan death has to do with CO poisoning

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

In other highly regulated country news I discovered I am not allowed to modify my car. OEM or bust, they even inspect the wheels to make sure they're approved and original for your car.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

infernal machines posted:

if you don't want to hate it because it fucks up and refuses to wake/pair a non-zero number of times, spend the money and get at least the logitech.

you can use any old piece of poo poo and it will technically work, and you will hate it

fwiw i haven't really had an issue with this beyond the way a crappy bluetooth keyboard would wake itself when connected to a an actual mac. if they keyboard itself sucks at sleep/wake, then yeah, it's gonna suck, but if it's a decent enough keyboard it should be pretty much fine

i kinda posted about this before a long time ago, but one caveat is that i haven't actually done this with my m1 ipad air (i eventually just stopped using external peripherals). i'm not sure that's a mark against it though since it follows that i'm talking about older equipment, but i also wouldn't be surprised if apple somehow hosed up bluetooth support. ios is objectively more buggy today

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rjmccall posted:

yeah, so the comparative stats in this who study say .15 unintentional, non-fire-related deaths per year per 100K in the US, .28 in canada, .48 across 11 european countries, albeit with a lot of national variation presumably based on energy sources

very interesting, not what I expected but I stand corrected

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lysidas posted:

yeah, the apple card is my most used card for the 2% back at most places i shop, with home depot being the single notable exception, as i have ranted about at least once in this thread
home depot is run by arch-chud conservative donors and you should never, ever give them money under any circumstance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the overall european co poisoning death rates in this study are really dragged upwards by russia and belarus (and to a lesser degree the rest of the eastern bloc), but if i’m reading it correctly that doesn’t affect the stat i quoted above because they don’t have cause-of-death breakdowns for those countries. and the variations on cause of death are really big (and sometimes suspicious, like how 0.0% of co poisoning deaths in hungary were suicides). e.g. sweden has a relatively high number of deaths, but also a relatively high percentage of them were suicides. definitely makes me wonder about cultural differences in reporting

the other big caveat about this study is that it goes back well into the 80s for many of these countries, so a lot might have changed