Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So from what I'm hearing, Derail Valley is essentially Railrunner. Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I need to wait for the sim but I desperately want to play it again. I (temporarily?) gave up on VR gaming but it rocked so hard even in early versions of it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

also, the shunter has a cooling fan.

Like for the cabin?

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jonny Nox posted:

also, the shunter has a cooling fan.

It doesn’t actually do anything currently (although there is a mod which makes it functional)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Tried it again and the same thing happened. Took a hauling job after the tutorial from steel mill to harbor, except there's a big hill right after steel mill. I overheated going up the hill and even shutting down and inching forward was untenable, particularly once I ran out of sand. I was just to the crest of the hill before it was too much for the shunter. I ended up just letting roll backwards down the hill to try and refuel, wasn't paying attention, and slammed back into the tutorial depot :v:

Good game but otherwise kind of impossible to get anything done. Like, I've yet to complete a job because the starter train just isn't up to the task, and I don't feel like moving stuff around in the yard.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That sounds really strange.
How many cars were you hauling? How were you throttling? The small shunter definitely can't handle running at max throttle constantly, if you were doing that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You could've just engaged brakes and went to smell the roses a while.

'Ran out of sand' implies you're either loaded too heavy or throttled way too far up. The shunter doesn't exactly have enough torque to want to use to need sand at a normal throttle up most hills and at most you're spot using it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm glad I'm not the only one to bulldoze the tutorial shed by accident. But yeah you're definitely doing something wrong if you literally can't accomplish anything with the shunter, you should at least be able to haul a few empties around the map.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

IIRC it was 4 flatcars with steel on it. I admit that's probably too heavy, but in that case why did the game offer the job? Particularly right after the tutorial. It delineates jobs by train type too, so it's not like I get a job based on freight and it's up to me to bring the right vehicle. It doesn't help the hill is right after the depot so there wasn't even a chance to get momentum first.

zedprime posted:

You could've just engaged brakes and went to smell the roses a while.

'Ran out of sand' implies you're either loaded too heavy or throttled way too far up. The shunter doesn't exactly have enough torque to want to use to need sand at a normal throttle up most hills and at most you're spot using it.

I did exactly that, I tried to save the run by letting it cool, but then had to start back up on the hill and by the time I got any speed it was hot again.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
When I ran Derail Valley I put 2 shunters together and then ran back and forth between them to control the train, makes it a bit easier until you unlock the big diesel. If you have the remote control you can also control both of them from 1 cab.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

skooma512 posted:

IIRC it was 4 flatcars with steel on it. I admit that's probably too heavy, but in that case why did the game offer the job? Particularly right after the tutorial. It delineates jobs by train type too, so it's not like I get a job based on freight and it's up to me to bring the right vehicle. It doesn't help the hill is right after the depot so there wasn't even a chance to get momentum first.

I did exactly that, I tried to save the run by letting it cool, but then had to start back up on the hill and by the time I got any speed it was hot again.

The Job overview has an approximate consist weight on it. Don't try to pick up more than 2-300kgs for your first few runs. Work your way to a dual link license first, then you can run 2 shunters and pull over 500.

Don't be afraid to pick up shunting jobs that are heavier though, the DE2 can get some pretty hefty trains moving, and stopping, eventually, but as soon as there is resistance it can't keep up.

My biggest complaint about the game right now is that hauling empties around the map is behind Freight hauling in the license tree.

If you've got the unity mod manager, the HUD mod is one of those QOL things you won't want to give up. https://www.nexusmods.com/derailvalley/mods/206

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

When I ran Derail Valley I put 2 shunters together and then ran back and forth between them to control the train, makes it a bit easier until you unlock the big diesel. If you have the remote control you can also control both of them from 1 cab.

This is old, there is now a blue cable on every diesel electric connector that allows you to run multiples from any control stand. No more need for running or remote control.

You need a license to use it though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

skooma512 posted:

I started up the game and tried doing almost exactly that, to make sure I wasn't just making poo poo up.
I found a job pulling 3 loaded steel flat cars from Steel Mill to Harbor, and took the most direct route. I think the job weight was 171 tons.
There were a few places I had a bit difficulty pulling it, but never had to stop. I tried sticking to the tools available at the beginning, so no remote control and no multiple units.
The first real hill out the south-west exit from Steel Mill (where there are rocky slopes up on both sides of the track) re-taught me that you can not throttle too hard or you'll get wheel slip. I didn't have to sand, just throttle down, and take that hill slower than I'd have been able to with a lighter load.
The entire trip including a shunting job for the same train before departing, took a little more than half the fuel tank.

When starting out don't even attempt to do jobs within the bonus time, just focus on doing them safely.
Shunting jobs can seem boring, but on the other hand they help get a bit more feeling for how the loco handles with and without load.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nielsm posted:

Shunting jobs can seem boring, but on the other hand they help get a bit more feeling for how the loco handles with and without load.

Yeah, this would be my first suggestion reading all this. Do some shunting jobs for a bit. They're not bad money and you can do them pretty quickly. Then take on some light loads with the shunter. And check your route, try not to take anything with it that's all uphill.

I did like almost all shunting jobs and very short, light runs until I was able to at least get the steam engine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

I started up the game and tried doing almost exactly that, to make sure I wasn't just making poo poo up.
I found a job pulling 3 loaded steel flat cars from Steel Mill to Harbor, and took the most direct route. I think the job weight was 171 tons.
There were a few places I had a bit difficulty pulling it, but never had to stop. I tried sticking to the tools available at the beginning, so no remote control and no multiple units.
The first real hill out the south-west exit from Steel Mill (where there are rocky slopes up on both sides of the track) re-taught me that you can not throttle too hard or you'll get wheel slip. I didn't have to sand, just throttle down, and take that hill slower than I'd have been able to with a lighter load.
The entire trip including a shunting job for the same train before departing, took a little more than half the fuel tank.

When starting out don't even attempt to do jobs within the bonus time, just focus on doing them safely.

Yeah that sounds like it would have worked out much better. I would have tried again but I used a savegame editor to try the other locomotives. I'll give shunting within the depot a shot.

Also good call on the HUD mod, it's so much easier to tell what's going on.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One of the neat things about Derail Valley is also how shunting jobs are "meaningful". They always list what the train will end up as, so you know you can prepare a hauling job to some destination by completing that shunting job.

I got slightly hooked again, so I spent some hours yesterday running more trains, and one I did was pulling about 1200-1300 tons from Harbor to Steel Mill, using a single DE6. (About 20 cars of scrap metal, and 6 empty flat cars.)
I had two false starts where I did not make it up the hill leaving Harbor westbound, it does have a steep 2.5 grade. What I had to do was drive more aggressively and make sure to have enough momentum before hitting the incline. I also took the longer southern route, because it's a little less steep, I don't think I could have made the shorter route.
More than half the payment from that job went into paying for the engine's fuel and maintenance afterwards.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skooma512 posted:

IIRC it was 4 flatcars with steel on it. I admit that's probably too heavy, but in that case why did the game offer the job?

The game experience/tutorializing is still pretty rudimentary and has room for improvement. Fortunately the initial learning curve is steep but short.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
All the short clips they've been posting of the upcoming Derail Valley update is really making me hyped for it. It looks dope.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Logged back into Algebra Testes Railroad in Run 8 and I have forgotten the 10 hotkey combinations you need to play the game lmao.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

algebra testes posted:

Logged back into Algebra Testes Railroad in Run 8 and I have forgotten the 10 hotkey combinations you need to play the game lmao.

this mf didn't write a quick reference card

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I didn't see the username and was thinking 'Algebra Testes Railroad is a very precise name for a level to have'

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For anyone who dug Signal Simulator but was a little disappointed in where they stopped development on it, someone is working on a semi-clone (at least in terms of gameplay), called Voices of the Void: https://mrdrnose.itch.io/votv

Graphics aren't as good, it seems to be a source engine type thing complete with half-life/portal sound effects, but the gameplay is good and there's more events and it's under active development. Also currently termed as a demo, even though there's a good bit of content in it already, so you can choose your own price when downloading, including getting it for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1TRiha3nLw

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
I've been watching Vargskelethor (part of Vinesauce crew) play Voices of the Void, and yeah, it basically is a spiritual successor to Signal Simulator.

Looks like a chill game.. unless you're afraid of aliens/supernatural, at which point any loud noise is a jumpscare :derp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egVfMpjTbkU&hd=1

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Does it really already have more content than Signal Sim? I remember Signal had quite a few special events.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

grate deceiver posted:

Does it really already have more content than Signal Sim? I remember Signal had quite a few special events.

I can’t say for sure on that. I played a decent amount of Signal Sim and really didn’t run into that many special events, but that could have been bad luck on my part or me playing it too early in early access or something. Voices has a (currently) 30 day “story mode” along with an infinite mode so it’s probable I’m seeing a higher concentration of events in general in the story mode because it’s designed that way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I haven't played it myself yet but a couple people I know have been playing it obsessively and having an absolute blast. Apparently it is exceedingly good for the creepy alone in SETI vibe.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I haven't played it myself yet but a couple people I know have been playing it obsessively and having an absolute blast. Apparently it is exceedingly good for the creepy alone in SETI vibe.

It's a good mix of "creepy alone in SETI" vibe and sometimes "chill simulator." Like, when nothing weird is happening, there's a calming routine of getting a signal downloading, checking the servers and satellites and fixing any issues, calibrating them, coming back to check and process your signals and get them sent out, etc. The original Signal Simulator was the same way.

It also has an upgrade system and you buy food and decorative objects and other stuff with money from the signals you process, so there's some progression and personalization. Seems pretty well done so far for a solo guy's project and I hope he gets enough interest to keep working on it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That seems really neat, I can’t wait to give it a try. I’m not one for spooky generally, but I feel like this could be a really good hit for me because it’s a different kind of spooky. I think my only worry would the story getting too heavy handed and being like “Yes, aliens invading” and not just riding “Is there something out there? Am I communicating with something?” As absolutely long as possible.

Don’t need to tell me because I won’t read spoilers, just thinking out loud. Either way it’s a cool idea for a game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess it would be Hollywoodified a bit compared to what you can do for a big SETI simulation but my dream electronics playground would be a SigInt sim during a war with dry humor along the lines of Papers Please where 95% of the messages are orders for more hot dogs and 5% war atrocities being planned.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I just enjoy stuff in general that's like "fiddling with big machines that I barely understand." Other stuff in that vein that I've liked are Objects in Space, I Fetch Rocks (VR only game), to some degree Derail Valley, even VCV Rack although that's a music creation tool and I'm no musician. Just give me lots of buttons and knobs and wires and switches to screw with. I'm always happy to see more stuff along those lines.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I wish Objects in Space had been finished, that one was fun.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just enjoy stuff in general that's like "fiddling with big machines that I barely understand." Other stuff in that vein that I've liked are Objects in Space, I Fetch Rocks (VR only game), to some degree Derail Valley, even VCV Rack although that's a music creation tool and I'm no musician. Just give me lots of buttons and knobs and wires and switches to screw with. I'm always happy to see more stuff along those lines.

Depending how hardcore you are there is a company that makes super realistic simulations of the old train dispatch boxes with all the clicky knobs and old looking lights and buzzers and punch cards and poo poo. I don't really have the desire to dig into it to learn how it all works but I think they are cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uWuFnTFaI&t=303s

I don't think there are any videos about it that aren't in German, which should tell you how deep down the nerd hole it is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Depending how hardcore you are there is a company that makes super realistic simulations of the old train dispatch boxes with all the clicky knobs and old looking lights and buzzers and punch cards and poo poo. I don't really have the desire to dig into it to learn how it all works but I think they are cool looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3uWuFnTFaI&t=303s

I don't think there are any videos about it that aren't in German, which should tell you how deep down the nerd hole it is.

Oh wow, that's maybe beyond me. There's a lot going on there. In German.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a lot going on there. In German.

Thread title

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Philippe posted:

Thread title

Can also take the "Get yer sperg on" part out at the same time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StarkRavingMad posted:

sam simulator? maybe not, it can get a bit topical. and war crimey.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought that one SAM sim from a decade back was pretty far removed or are we talking about another?

Objects In Space is one of the biggest wounds of abandoned development for me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Objects In Space is one of the biggest wounds of abandoned development for me.
Oh yeah, I really enjoyed that one so the news that the developers abandoned it was a really big disappointment.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah Objects in Space looked to be great, such a shame. The only other game I miss as much that’s pretty much gone is Deadstick, which looked to be Bush Flying Sim with a dash of my My Summer Car interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still want any game half as good as My Summer Car.

Mon Bazou and Slaverian Trucker are both really good but not even half as good as MSC.