Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CommieGIR posted:

So in other words there's zero impetus for the dev teams to actually write secure code.

Run, not walk, away.

I would never ask a company to stop giving me paycheck. :aloom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Our companies CTO (a person whose entire career has been this one company) has decided we are going against the grain. Security issues in code are no longer the burden of those writing the code. This stalls velocity. Those teams tasked with code security will fix the code themselves when security issues are found.

When he received opposition, he mentioned that he understood that none of the tech industry does it this way but it hasn't been tried before.

lol and lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

lol and lmao

He is also doing the same thing for infrastructure security and I have to say I am kind of pumped for the change. Your infrastructure some how comes to life with bad security configuration despite the guardrails , its going to get modified. It breaks? Can't stall velocity people.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I interviewed at a fintech place one time that offered me $40k for their "legacy support team" which meant working 6am to 4pm fixing whatever fires exploded in any software that "didn't currently have a maintenance team"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I love that security douches are supposed to write code. Love it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So in other words there's zero impetus for the dev teams to actually write secure code.

Run, not walk, away.

And no incentive for the sec team to write working code. Just seesaw that poo poo.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

And no incentive for the sec team to write working code. Just seesaw that poo poo.

Just encrypt the source code before compiling. Most secure software ever written!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Guy Axlerod posted:

Job security for everyone! :capitalism:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guy Axlerod posted:

Even more anything that makes it through will get blamed on the security team, not the dev team.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

imagine being a security guy and being fired because you didnt catch a mistake your dev wrote into their spaghetti code lmao

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just had a dev team whose lovely product is actively being used in spam and malware attacks yell at me for not having a solution in hand when I alerted them to the problem before customers started complaining.

They literally have a site where someone can upload whatever the hell they want to, which gets a URL with a GUID that they can capture by just viewing the source for the page. The public IP is showing up everywhere on threat intel lists, rightly so, and customers are now not able to hit the site.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Not sure if this is the best spot to ask, but I unfortunately have several services that my users are currently using a shared username and password for. None of these services use SSO, and several of them look like they were coded back when Geocities was still cool. Thankfully all of them use form login, instead of the ancient pop up auth box. None of them do a catchpa either, which might help some.

Is there a way to get some SSO-style "click link to sign into service" system in place for these websites? Ideally the user would go to our sharepoint site, see the table of useful links, click on a link, and via the magic of some 3rd party service, is redirected to the site already signed in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AzureAd application proxy

e: link - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/app-proxy/application-proxy

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://maia.crimew.gay/posts/how-to-hack-an-airline/

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My determination to never fly anywhere is still unchallenged

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Today a member of one of our accounts payable teams, which has been stung multiple times by compromised vendor payment rerouting, mentioned that she avoided something weird the other day. See, a vendor emailed asking to change from us sending a check to ACH. The vendor got weirdly aggressive when it didn't happen enough, so AP person went to the vendor's public website, compared the address on the ACH to all available addresses for the company, and found that none matched. She immediately called our Project Manager who works with the vendor and told him to call the vendor at a number he had for them before the whole thing started and verbally figure out what was going on. Crisis averted in a way that (more or less) followed the policy I wrote for them the last time they gave away six figures.
They can learn!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

Today a member of one of our accounts payable teams, which has been stung multiple times by compromised vendor payment rerouting, mentioned that she avoided something weird the other day. See, a vendor emailed asking to change from us sending a check to ACH. The vendor got weirdly aggressive when it didn't happen enough, so AP person went to the vendor's public website, compared the address on the ACH to all available addresses for the company, and found that none matched. She immediately called our Project Manager who works with the vendor and told him to call the vendor at a number he had for them before the whole thing started and verbally figure out what was going on. Crisis averted in a way that (more or less) followed the policy I wrote for them the last time they gave away six figures.
They can learn!

BUY LOTTERY TICKETS TONIGHT!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

They can learn!

It feels good when the bad thing is prevented. It feels bad to know , in your soul, that if a full audit was performed RIGHT NOW, more than 6 figures has left the door and its just not be noticed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

It feels good when the bad thing is prevented. It feels bad to know , in your soul, that if a full audit was performed RIGHT NOW, more than 6 figures has left the door and its just not be noticed.

You're just a glass half full guy aren't you?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

You're just a glass half full guy aren't you?

I know you are enjoying this security money now (that doesn't stop), but you have just begun your journey to really be exposed to how loving dumb these big organizations are jfc.

In november, I spoke to a finance person whose only job is to pay PO's, tell me she has never questioned a po that has crossed her desk. She probably pays more than 100m in po's in a given year. When he statement was brought it up in conversation to her leaders, they didn't flinch.

I feel more like the sheriff for "no country for old men" every passing day of my life.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sickening posted:

Thankfully, we aren't that big. When our vendors don't get paid (like someone got into their email environment and rerouted payment), they angrily call us and let us know.
Not to say we don't have a fake invoice problem, but I'm still training finance to look for that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

I know you are enjoying this security money now (that doesn't stop), but you have just begun your journey to really be exposed to how loving dumb these big organizations are jfc.

In november, I spoke to a finance person whose only job is to pay PO's, tell me she has never questioned a po that has crossed her desk. She probably pays more than 100m in po's in a given year. When he statement was brought it up in conversation to her leaders, they didn't flinch.

I feel more like the sheriff for "no country for old men" every passing day of my life.

I’m not quite sure I can drink more but I’ll try for for the money

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

Thankfully, we aren't that big. When our vendors don't get paid (like someone got into their email environment and rerouted payment), they angrily call us and let us know.
Not to say we don't have a fake invoice problem, but I'm still training finance to look for that.

At this point , the apathy shown leads to me to only two reasonable conclusions. There really is no financial benefit to care or this is just common embezzlement that every company maintains because this is the normal csuite grift.

These finance folks are well paid, educated people. Their jobs (especially at accounts payable) seems to be no more complex than basic data entry. :bighow:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sickening posted:

At this point , the apathy shown leads to me to only two reasonable conclusions. There really is no financial benefit to care or this is just common embezzlement that every company maintains because this is the normal csuite grift.

These finance folks are well paid, educated people. Their jobs (especially at accounts payable) seems to be no more complex than basic data entry. :bighow:

It must be the first one. At $Job-2 I had hired a consultancy to write up some documentation about how to do something tricky with our firewall and the DMZ. They invoiced us before turning over the documentation. Accounts Payable cut them a $2750 check. To nobody's surprise, we never got that documentation. Given that my boss was micromanaging me to keep going back to nitpick and chisel at the contract I don't blame them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

So basically I find the accounting department. Send them a txt I need 10k in $500 Apple Card’s and it works? My mom is 67 and doesn’t fall for that poo poo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buyers beware, Entra/AAD Premium P1 or P2 is required for Application Proxy.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

P1/P2 is required for o365 Sign-in logs. There's no reason not to get it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

Good movie, but wasn't the final punchline of the movie that even Tommy Lee Jones was cattle like the rest of 'em?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SlowBloke posted:

Buyers beware, Entra/AAD Premium P1 or P2 is required for Application Proxy.

Yeah stumbled across that, apparently we have been giving contractors E1/A1 licenses and were not including AAD P1. Lord almighty it's tough to keep track of M365 user licensing if you don't just give everyone Enough (imo) with E3/A3 and call it a day

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jaegerx posted:

So basically I find the accounting department. Send them a txt I need 10k in $500 Apple Card’s and it works? My mom is 67 and doesn’t fall for that poo poo

Unironically yes. If a c suite wants thousands of dollars in gift cards to expense, we advise to confirm the requesting method or address, it is assumed to be for a conference or something. I'm sure a lot doesn't get checked and gets approved with the same momentum.

Remember the Uber expenses leak?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, my office just gave us all business 1Password accounts with the option to link to a personal account and 4 invites to a family plan. Probably a good thing since they also just bumped our minimum password length from 8 to 15. I'm already pretty much moved over to Bitwarden, but only a free account so far. Is there anything 1P does in paid features that is particularly awesome or unique to them? My only hesitation is that I don't want to get my whole family over on premium 1Password and then either I leave my current job or they just cancel their business plan, which would freeze my family plan until started paying for everything myself :homebrew:

Still bet most people are just going to write down some bullshit on a PostIt note stuck under their keyboards or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We still trying to focus on password length and complexity like it’s a worthwhile venture.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

1 password has watchtower, which neat: https://watchtower.1password.com/

not sure if bitwarden has an equivalent

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh, my office just gave us all business 1Password accounts with the option to link to a personal account and 4 invites to a family plan. Probably a good thing since they also just bumped our minimum password length from 8 to 15. I'm already pretty much moved over to Bitwarden, but only a free account so far. Is there anything 1P does in paid features that is particularly awesome or unique to them? My only hesitation is that I don't want to get my whole family over on premium 1Password and then either I leave my current job or they just cancel their business plan, which would freeze my family plan until started paying for everything myself :homebrew:

Still bet most people are just going to write down some bullshit on a PostIt note stuck under their keyboards or something.

SSH agent
Mobile Safari extension that’s almost identical to 1Password browser extension for desktop
Better UI IMO

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

We still trying to focus on password length and complexity like it’s a worthwhile venture.
If you've got a password store that generates passwords randomly for you, it just adds a bit of extra entropy which isn't really a bad thing.

The five passwords you should have memorized (for FDE, offline offsite backup FDE, password store, and your username and system passwords) should all be passphrase-protected keyfiles with arbitrary length based on how fast the CPU can generate a number of iterations each time the key is regenerated.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Ironically this is after nearly everyone including CISA, NIST, and Microsoft have said: Its all about length, and to that end passphrases, and password expiration is stupid and pointless and only encourages worse passwords.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CommieGIR posted:

Ironically this is after nearly everyone including CISA, NIST, and Microsoft have said: Its all about length, and to that end passphrases, and password expiration is stupid and pointless and only encourages worse passwords.

I seem to recall that a couple things (health data regulation audits maybe?) still mandate password complexity. Yes, they need to update their understanding of mathematics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

I seem to recall that a couple things (health data regulation audits maybe?) still mandate password complexity. Yes, they need to update their understanding of mathematics.

Yeah PCI does as well, although I haven't seen any good reason for them to demand it. I think they just haven't updated their guidance yet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IIRC PCI 4.0 won’t any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

IIRC PCI 4.0 won’t any more.

Yeah, I do remember reading over 4.0 and they did change it, but IIRC its still awaiting final approval and adoption.