Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

tactlessbastard posted:

I get a about one email a week asking if I'm interested in an opening they think I'd be a good fit for and I invariably ask what and where, they hem and haw and try to arrange a phone call and they eventually come out with they want me to fingerblast chickens in Alabama or something else equally unpleasant

Dumb poo poo your work does - fingerblasting chickens in Alabama or something equally unpleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think about half of my team's tickets this week have been from people who are utterly unresponsive when we try to help them - like the user who says that they can't hear calls on their headset but never responds to our IMs. The other half is people with issues completely unrelated to what the help desk documented - like the lady who wasn't receiving any emails and was getting an error that very clearly stated "YOUR MAILBOX IS FULL", but the help desk put in a ticket because... Automatic updates for Office applications is turned off.

Then there's the dude right in the middle of the Venn diagram who put in a ticket because he got an error remoting into a PC, ignored my messages for three days, showed up in our area to complain no one was helping him, finally said his issue is actually that he can't log into an application we have no access to, THEN replied to me to say "I got help from the local team, please give them the ticket to close."

I hate so, so many of the people this company hires...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What really kills the recruiting industry is that it's one of the few segments where non-competes are vital to employers and actually enforceable. The most basic non-compete is one barring someone from taking customer lists with them. Any recruiter changing who they work for is going to have to start over in terms of building relationships with people. At best they'll have the agency database, which is all stale because the people who created those relationships are gone.

I've had one agency actually find me a job (TekSystems, 20 years ago, and it was the ad agency). Every other job has been me finding a listing and applying.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Lazyfire posted:

I'm assuming that the vendor just told the recruiter exactly who to approach for this one. They either have your email or have figured out how your company structures email addresses and sent them after you. You going to at least hear them out? Vendors will often pay a premium for people coming over from their customers with the belief that you'll be able to pull strings and steer more work their way. Generally that is backwards thinking because I've seen more work put into vendors we hired people from than the other way around, and a lot of the time the customer won't work with someone who left them for a vendor due to the whole "ethics" thing.

I don't know if I'll hear them out. They sent me the range, top is about a 20% bump for base and no mention of bonus. It'd require relocation to a shittier area. And it's 50-70% travel. At that much travel, why not just make it remote? Not a very attractive move for me.

Normally I'd be all into recruiters' feelers. "Oh boy, fingerblasting chickens is my dream job! And Alabama was on my shortlist of places I wanted to move to!" If only to practice interviewing and negotiating. But this one feels like it could go south pretty easily whether I'd stay or go.

Anyway I thought it was weird they emailed me at work instead of going through LinkedIn or something. I can only think that someone gave them my email address and they could bother to put in just zero effort to find me. Recruiters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If a recruiter reached out to me via my company email I'd tell them to gently caress off and make it very explicit that this was why.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have arthritis and a bulging disc in my back and hip that can occasionally cause debilitating pain, typically in the early morning.. Like "I can't WALK" pain. Crippling pain.

Yesterday was one of those mornings.

It took me 5 minutes to get out of bed and I sat down on my porch to have coffee. Half hour later, I literally could not get out of the chair. Like, I could barely even roll out of it so I was going to notify my job I would not be in. It took me, no lie, 20 minutes to travel maybe 10 feet, get to figure out how to open the sliding glass door, reach the walker I keep by my bed and to go get my phone.

Now, a GP/PCP could not help me in any way, my pain management doctor is in Jacksonville 60 minutes away except on Wednesdays when they open an office near my home. I doubt they could get me in anyway on short notice. My chiropractor, who I have not NEEDED for 6 or 7 years is about 45 minutes away and they also could not get me in. Which is irrelevant because I COULD NOT DRIVE. I couldn't even have gotten into my car.

Now I'm catching poo poo from my employer about an "unexcused absence" and I'm giving them poo poo right back. They already KNOW about my health condition because I've given them notes and forms on occasions when I have been late due to treatment and mandatory monthly appointments. I told my boss I would get ANOTHER document this wednesday since I have an appointment scheduled but was told it has to be within 3 days. gently caress them.

Like, what if I had epilepsy or migraines? I don't decide when I get to have a seizure or a blinding headache. Food poisoning? Am I gonna got to a GP/PCP for that? I don't even get sick days and I need the loving money. I informed that I would have much preferred to be at work without a 2 x 4 wrapped in barbed wire in my spine.

Also, they recently went to a face recognition style punch in tablet and, apparently, I have been ONE or TWO MINUTES LATE on a few breaks and lunches and the automated system does not like that, so now I am an attendance problem apparently. Except, the thing is, we also catch poo poo if we punch in one or two minutes early. It's incredibly petty and stupid, designed to "solve" a non existent problem and seems to be a recurring issue where employers try to emulate the Amazon model of treating workers like ants.

A few of my coworkers routinely show up on the job reeking of weed so, smartass that I am, I asked them what the company policy was for showing up to work visibly and olfactorily stoned. I don't even CARE about that is the thing but some customers and colleagues have brought it up yet they let that poo poo slide and that's kind of my point. I'd go to work high too but I don't think I'd do well at my job with it. I can't work if I can't walk or drive.

These ticky tack, nickle and dime rigid bullshit policies and the company men who get off on enforcing them succeed in doing nothing other than chipping away at morale and dehumanizing people. I was in a good mood today; happy to be feeling better and able to WALK until they pulled me aside to talk about this horseshit. I told them to put me down for the "L" if they had to and made it fairly clear that I don't loving give a poo poo. Might be fun to try and sue them for discrimination if my stupid "points" add up to mandatory termination, especially since their main office is based in CA.

What loving problem is this solving? Dinging my attendance record (which is stellar), loving up my reviews (solid, good and fair but not stellar) and essentially punishing me for having a painful and debilitating disease that I have thrice previously made them aware of?

Nobody wants to work anymore!

Suck my dick

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 21, 2023

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If a recruiter reached out to me via my company email I'd tell them to gently caress off and make it very explicit that this was why.

I have a job title in my company where I get recruiters offering me candidates via my guessable email address at the company and it's entirely 'Josh is an accomplished turkey fucker with 5 years experience' and 'Tim has extensive experience in rimming small birds' and if they even bothered to do 5 seconds research they'd know we were only interested in people with a solid grounding in fingerblasting chickens.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I have arthritis and a bulging disc in my back and hip that can occasionally cause debilitating pain, typically in the early morning.. Like "I can't WALK" pain. Crippling pain.

Yesterday was one of those mornings.

It took me 5 minutes to get out of bed and I sat down on my porch to have coffee. Half hour later, I literally could not get out of the chair. Like, I could barely even roll out of it so I was going to notify my job I would not be in. It took me, no lie, 20 minutes to travel maybe 10 feet, get to figure out how to open the sliding glass door, reach the walker I keep by my bed and to go get my phone.

Now, a GP/PCP could not help me in any way, my pain management doctor is in Jacksonville 60 minutes away except on Wednesdays when they open an office near my home. I doubt they could get me in anyway on short notice. My chiropractor, who I have not NEEDED for 6 or 7 years is about 45 minutes away and they also could not get me in. Which is irrelevant because I COULD NOT DRIVE. I couldn't even have gotten into my car.

Now I'm catching poo poo from my employer about an "unexcused absence" and I'm giving them poo poo right back. They already KNOW about my health condition because I've given them notes and forms on occasions when I have been late due to treatment and mandatory monthly appointments. I told my boss I would get ANOTHER document this wednesday since I have an appointment scheduled but was told it has to be within 3 days. gently caress them.

Like, what if I had epilepsy or migraines? I don't decide when I get to have a seizure or a blinding headache. Food poisoning? Am I gonna got to a GP/PCP for that? I don't even get sick days and I need the loving money. I informed that I would have much preferred to be at work without a 2 x 4 wrapped in barbed wire in my spine.

Also, they recently went to a face recognition style punch in tablet and, apparently, I have been ONE or TWO MINUTES LATE on a few breaks and lunches and the automated system does not like that, so now I am an attendance problem apparently. Except, the thing is, we also catch poo poo if we punch in one or two minutes early. It's incredibly petty and stupid, designed to "solve" a non existent problem and seems to be a recurring issue where employers try to emulate the Amazon model of treating workers like ants.

A few of my coworkers routinely show up on the job reeking of weed so, smartass that I am, I asked them what the company policy was for showing up to work visibly and olfactorily stoned. I don't even CARE about that is the thing but some customers and colleagues have brought it up yet they let that poo poo slide and that's kind of my point. I'd go to work high too but I don't think I'd do well at my job with it. I can't work if I can't walk or drive.

These ticky tack, nickle and dime rigid bullshit policies and the company men who get off on enforcing them succeed in doing nothing other than chipping away at morale and dehumanizing people. I was in a good mood today; happy to be feeling better and able to WALK until they pulled me aside to talk about this horseshit. I told them to put me down for the "L" if they had to and made it fairly clear that I don't loving give a poo poo. Might be fun to try and sue them for discrimination if my stupid "points" add up to mandatory termination, especially since their main office is based in CA.

What loving problem is this solving? Dinging my attendance record (which is stellar), loving up my reviews (solid, good and fair but not stellar) and essentially punishing me for having a painful and debilitating disease that I have thrice previously made them aware of?

Suck my dick

File FMLA paperwork with your employer, your pain management doctor should be able to help if not your GP. Do this ASAP.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

BiggerBoat posted:

Like, what if I had epilepsy or migraines? I don't decide when I get to have a seizure or a blinding headache.

Don't worry, if you got migraines, there's a good chance your employer wouldn't take that seriously either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Don't worry, if you got migraines, there's a good chance your employer wouldn't take that seriously either.

that's happened to me before. I get occasional but very rare migraines and my last employer derided me for wanting to go home with a "headache".

And let me be clear, I don't think mu current employer or management think I'm faking my back injury. Just that "company policy" won't allow my absence to be excused based on what I was able to provide so far. And management's hands are tied, you see (except when they aren't). Like when they wouldn't take photos of my positive at home Covid test and made me go to a CVS even when it was loving obvious I had it.

Pyrtanis posted:

File FMLA paperwork with your employer, your pain management doctor should be able to help if not your GP. Do this ASAP.

I don't know what this is but will look into it. Florida labor laws are notoriously draconian but the company itself is based in CA so I dunno.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That poo poo makes me glad I have the boss I have, because he's super understanding with any kinda of "I can't work today" poo poo.

Probably because he'll sometimes do poo poo like leave the house without his keys, get locked out, and have to spend two hours alternating between standing outside of his truck while the remote starter decided if it was going to work with his phone, getting warmed up in his truck before the engine died because "Oh, someone's in the truck, I'll turn off until you put in your key", and ringing the doorbell, banging on the door, and calling his dead-to-the-world wife until she woke up with her alarm and realized she wasn't dreaming all those noises. And ain't NOBODY that wants to work after that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

there's gonna be a company that's hiring touring the factory and seeing what we do with my GM sometime next week looking for people that they want to put in higher positions than basic operator. I'm definitely telling him to let them know about me. I'd definitely like multiple offers as this thing winds down, and I told my buddy that is probably getting me a job that that was my intent anyway at a Halloween party. His exact words were, "go for it, you're underpaid anyway because you live in New Mexico!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

cynic posted:

I have a job title in my company where I get recruiters offering me candidates via my guessable email address at the company and it's entirely 'Josh is an accomplished turkey fucker with 5 years experience' and 'Tim has extensive experience in rimming small birds' and if they even bothered to do 5 seconds research they'd know we were only interested in people with a solid grounding in fingerblasting chickens.

Brother if it ain't Alabama I'm your man

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BiggerBoat posted:

Like, what if I had epilepsy or migraines?

If you had epilepsy they would be required by the ADA to accommodate you. By accommodate I mean they'd be required to place a mat so you have somewhere soft to land when the machine, you are still required to operate, gives you the seizure. Adjusting schedules can be done within reason.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This sort of poo poo is one of the biggest things I hated at the place I quit to go back to my old job last year.

They wanted management from outside the company to come in and crack skulls because their old structure wasn’t delivering results, fine, I don’t mind having to babysit a bunch of computer touchers and try to get them to be productive by using a little bit of the stick as well as the carrot.

What’s not fine is also having to do extremely dumb petty poo poo like tell the dude who’s out sick with stress and anxiety that yeah, I know he’s not gonna be able to see his doctor and get a note for a couple of days, but tough poo poo, until you get a note I need you to get up at 6 every morning and call the absence line to leave a voicemail, and then it’s company policy that you make sure your rear end doesn’t go back to sleep or leave your phone unattended until I call you back when I get to the office at 7 to say I got your message.

Absolutely zero room for common sense or basic human decency.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Freaquency posted:

90% of recruiters seem to be either the dumbest or laziest people in existence. Im sure at least part of it is that the company that is seeking an employee is told that the job will be seen by X number of eyeballs or whatever so they just toss out feelers to anyone remotely connected to the field the position is in, but god drat does it seem like the least efficient way to hire someone. I’m in a director position and still get emails asking if I’d like to take a tier 1 help desk contract-to-hire.

When I was a contractor (in software development), I used to occasionally get calls from recruitment agents who clearly knew nothing about the job they were recruiting for.
"Do you have any experience with 'U' 'N' 'I' 'X'?"
"We're looking for someone who can do integer arithmetic" (pronounced "int"-"eager")

I once applied for a job which said it required OpenGL experience (a 3D graphics library). The recruiter was insistent that it was a must have. Got the job, on day 1 I asked my boss -
"So, what do you guys use OpenGL for around here?"
"Huh? We don't, why would you think that?"

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BiggerBoat posted:

[Like, what if I had epilepsy or migraines? I don't decide when I get to have a seizure or a blinding headache.

I worked with a guy who had regular bad migraines, like at least twice a week. Luckily, work was very understanding about it and everyone knew we would often be told he wouldn't be in, or be in at lunchtime or whenever he was able to make it, or he would come in as normal and then have to leave suddenly. I think they were fine with this as he would generally be able to make up the hours on days he was feeling okay.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

History Comes Inside! posted:

This sort of poo poo is one of the biggest things I hated at the place I quit to go back to my old job last year.

They wanted management from outside the company to come in and crack skulls because their old structure wasn’t delivering results, fine, I don’t mind having to babysit a bunch of computer touchers and try to get them to be productive by using a little bit of the stick as well as the carrot.

What’s not fine is also having to do extremely dumb petty poo poo like tell the dude who’s out sick with stress and anxiety that yeah, I know he’s not gonna be able to see his doctor and get a note for a couple of days, but tough poo poo, until you get a note I need you to get up at 6 every morning and call the absence line to leave a voicemail, and then it’s company policy that you make sure your rear end doesn’t go back to sleep or leave your phone unattended until I call you back when I get to the office at 7 to say I got your message.

Absolutely zero room for common sense or basic human decency.

this was because one time, one manager missed a voicemail from a worker, wasn't it?

seems like poo poo like this is always some kind of over-reaction to a mild snafu, where someone then says 'how can we make this doesn't happen again' and then the most insane policy someone could imagine is suggested and subsequently enacted to prevent the very minor issue from every occurring again, but causing way more issues in its wake

I've been in the room during these meetings and it's always super hard to be like 'we don't need to create an entire policy that we force everyone to do because Bob missed a call once, or even regularly. Just get someone to be on Bob about it, fuckin' A.'.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 21, 2023

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've been in the room during these meetings and it's always super hard to be like 'we don't need to create an entire policy that we force everyone to do because Bob missed a call once, or even regularly. Just get someone to be on Bob about it, fuckin' A.'.

Problem with being reasonable like that is if Bob is a litigious piece of poo poo he will sue the company for harassment because there was no official policy guidance that his behavior was, in fact, bad.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah a policy that only needs to apply to one person is just called a performance improvement plan.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Speaking of nonsensical/fraudulent recruiting:

I was a phone jockey, taking calls from providers for a health insurance company that handled Medicaid.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My current job title has the word “Driver” in it because we provide data analytics to steer the day to day operation, so I get a lot of recruitment spam for literal driving jobs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

Suck my dick

This is solving the problem of being able to fire you with cause so that you cannot sue for retaliation

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I get a about one email a week asking if I'm interested in an opening they think I'd be a good fit for and I invariably ask what and where, they hem and haw and try to arrange a phone call and they eventually come out with they want me to fingerblast chickens in Alabama or something else equally unpleasant

You could finally be doing that professionally, rather than just as a hobby.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Agents are GO! posted:

You could finally be doing that professionally, rather than just as a hobby.

Yeah, but you know how it is, once you do something as a business, it ruins the enjoyment of it.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

BiggerBoat posted:

that's happened to me before. I get occasional but very rare migraines and my last employer derided me for wanting to go home with a "headache".

And let me be clear, I don't think mu current employer or management think I'm faking my back injury. Just that "company policy" won't allow my absence to be excused based on what I was able to provide so far. And management's hands are tied, you see (except when they aren't). Like when they wouldn't take photos of my positive at home Covid test and made me go to a CVS even when it was loving obvious I had it.

I don't know what this is but will look into it. Florida labor laws are notoriously draconian but the company itself is based in CA so I dunno.

FMLA is federal.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla/faq

It sounds like there's a decent chance that you qualify, at least at a level worth asking your doctor and HR about.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

blackmet posted:

FMLA is federal.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla/faq

It sounds like there's a decent chance that you qualify, at least at a level worth asking your doctor and HR about.

Thanks for the link

This is the ugliest website I've ever seen. Look at the auto trace job on that logo, holy poo poo

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oh wow that's some "my kid put it through the bitmap-to-vector tool in Flash in 2003" work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was posting itt I think last August about my hosed up tattoo artist boss? So small update, my wife and I had to sort out some alternative accommodation and it left me in the shop over Christmas, mostly saving.
Something came up over the course of this moving process that uh.. how do I be super vague about legal stuff? I basically am going to ask her to put something right on Tuesday when we open and if she accepts I'm working until I finish the move and then leaving (a month and change) or I'm quitting on the spot, dunno which I want more.

Loads of job applications are heading out in the meantime and I have something like 12 months of rent saved up so I'm gonna be OK.

I fully expect her to poo poo a brick and try to fire me or to refuse. I'm fully going forward with that as the most likely outcome.

Knowing I was gonna do this eventually actually probably kept me there for a few months more, tbh. But it does mean I have more incredibly stupid tidbits about for eg. Fetish gear alterations during work hours, a mystery rash, having adhd means you don't have to work, wait now I have autism, "how long does a credit check take anyway?" and probably a heap of other things I'll get to posting once I'm sure I'm free and safe.

Gonna take it easy today, I've people to contact tomorrow about this or that, I have to see our family dog before she gets put to sleep (she's VERY OLD, and this timing is terrible). Basically putting affairs in order before I get the gently caress out of there :dance:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Suck my dick

Someone in management wants you gone basically, they think you are not earning them enough.
Same poo poo happened to a work mate. She was ex-military, closed a gently caress ton of issues (call support) more than anyone else, but she had a blood disorder which meant she was out every few days for a day or two.
She told them in the interview, and the company said it was fine.
Then a year later they gave her a verbal warning out of the blue for taking too many days off. Then a written one, and then just fired her a few days later after that.

Some excel spreadsheet cell was red and they wanted it green just, not looking at the overall performance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Someone in management wants you gone basically, they think you are not earning them enough.

Doesn't seem like it. Both of my performance reviews so far have been quite good

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Doesn't seem like it. Both of my performance reviews so far have been quite good

My last job, my manager wanted a way to shitcan seasoned excellent transcriptionists because they weren't auditing voice recognized reports fast enough to make her look good. Transcriptionists type up things from voice, it's different than reading the dog vomit that comes out of VR because a surgeon is still thinking he can motorboat the phone and get a perfect report! augh

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Army is getting desperate. Usually they just try to get the students to join. They tried to get everyone that was under medicare age this time.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's 100% the bolded part here:

happyhippy posted:

Same poo poo happened to a work mate. She was ex-military, closed a gently caress ton of issues (call support) more than anyone else, but she had a blood disorder which meant she was out every few days for a day or two.
She told them in the interview, and the company said it was fine.
Then a year later they gave her a verbal warning out of the blue for taking too many days off. Then a written one, and then just fired her a few days later after that.

Some excel spreadsheet cell was red and they wanted it green just, not looking at the overall performance.

Someone a rung or two up from you - your manager, maybe their manager - has a report that your "excess absenteeism" is making look bad. The bad report makes them look bad, so they're trying to "fix" the bad report.

To give you an idea of how this can work, one of my job duties is to basically put together a quarterly clusterfuck report/ deck for meeting where a bunch of department managers do show and tell for a bunch of senior people. All of the slides are color coded red or green to show if they're meeting their targets. So if their poo poo is hosed and they have a red slide, they need to stand up in front of their bosses and explain why poo poo is red.

Sometimes it's red for reasons that are entirely outside of anyone's control. Like, "a government agency that we do not directly deal with is loving things up for one of our suppliers, and they can't get us poo poo we need" levels of out of anyone's control. If the Department of Widgets is bending Greebles Inc over a barrel and we haven't gotten our greebles for two months then yeah, no gently caress that slide's going to be red this quarter.

And this makes the people who need to present lose their loving minds. When it comes time to build out that deck half my job becomes helping people massage their data so it can report green and, if it can't, talking them off a ledge and explaining that it's not really that big a deal. Which, for us, is true. THe people who get this report shockingly enough have an understanding of nuance and can grasp when things are out of people's control, and even if it's 100% in their control are more concerned with long-term trends, and even THEN are more interested in working with departments to figure out how to fix poo poo than rapping the knuckles of some department head. It's the best case scenario of senior people that actually aren't being fuckheads about a report. But oh my god these department heads must have all been under some abusive leadership in the past because they act like they're going to get a loving professional firing squad if it's not all green across the board.

So, yeah, now put that in an organization where the senior people just want to see green bubbles on their dashboard.

They're going to fire you, and they're going to fire you because some system doesn't have a way to distinguish between you and someone who just no call / no shows because they're hung over, and that's making some manager you've probably never even met look bad when he files a quarterly report.

You're a red cell in a spreadsheet that someone else needs to turn green so he doesn't look bad in front of his boss. Your performance review doesn't matter, all that matters is that you're a red cell.

(edit: to be clear this is 100% unjust and hosed and wrong etc. But it's what's going on).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, go back to your original post and reread the bolded parts. Imagine that you're a bean counter utterly divorced from the realities of the shop floor. This little red cell has a known health issue, and healthcare is only going to get more expensive. It would be much better if the little cell in the spreadsheet was blank, if it can't be green.

Just remember, if you quit, they won't pay unemployment and it's harder for you to sue.

As someone who just turned from a red cell to a blank cell, know that I emphasize, and that the bean doesn't even know who you are, so you can't take it personally as much as you want to.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Computer viking posted:

Oh wow that's some "my kid put it through the bitmap-to-vector tool in Flash in 2003" work.

One of the programs I use at work was originally written for Windows 3.1 and the GUI has not been updated since. I almost want to put the hot dog stand color theme on it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

BiggerBoat posted:

Capital likes to have control over labor and I've slowly started to transition away from thinking a ton of these rules are in place to infantilize workers as the method of control to the idea that the rules are there to layer on so many inconveniences that you simply avoid coming into contact with the system instead of following the processes. The steps you laid out on not only calling out, but having the absence be excused (again, the infantilizing. Excused absence like you are a school child and you need a parent to write a note on why you missed a day) are just putting a lot of work on you to find a way to get to a doctor, engage the right people with the doctor's note and make sure that they actually process the thing so you don't get a strike against you because of a situation the employer knows about and a flare up that was beyond your control is a lot for someone either sick or in pain to deal with in a short period of time while also trying to get back to work.

When I worked in a union office I took more vacation days on when I got sick than I did on being on actual vacation. It was just that much easier to call in and let the boss know I needed to take a day off than to go through the process of getting a day off with no pay even if it was a "benefit" the union had fought for us to have.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Buttchocks posted:

One of the programs I use at work was originally written for Windows 3.1 and the GUI has not been updated since. I almost want to put the hot dog stand color theme on it.

I use Teklynx Codesoft (formerly Brady Primary) to print labels fairly often. It works fine, but the "office 2007" styling on the UI is a thin layer over something I think started life in that same era. Could be 95/98, though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
At a previous job we got PMWeb pushed onto us for managing document approvals and the like. It was painfully obvious that it was an XP-era software that was ported over to a browser based application. Just absolute garbage UI, had weird category buttons/tabs down the left side, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

My old boss sent an email saying "Would have liked you to stay longer so we could find a replacement."

Literally asked him what he thought the purpose of a two week notice was for?

Also told him that he is the replacement. They will not fill my old position as it is now rolled into the AP position that doesn't have enough time to handle their own poo poo never mind another department's.