Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

change fad to fud and make a buttcoin thread gang tag, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Large Testicles posted:

no it isn't. all i wanted to do was add sound to a simple video file and you all are like "type this incomprehensible set of gibberish in the command prompt" like we're in the 80s

sorry OP this is a forum made up of mostly people who can computer so they probably assumed you could too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter you aren't wrong that ffmpeg is very powerful and quick for certain tasks but you're doing the same thing as the tedious dorks who insist you should code all your papers in LaTeX. visual editors are objectively better for visual media

Beeftweeter posted:

it's not that hard either, you use the -ss switch to seek. you can cut an entire movie like this by using frame stamps or time stamps, and piece it back together without re-encoding it at all

Lmao @ memorizing time stamps and putting them into a CLI instead of scrubbing a playhead.

Beeftweeter posted:

show me a linear video editor that can do that and i will concede that it is better

avidemux

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Beeftweeter posted:

it's not that hard either, you use the -ss switch to seek. you can cut an entire movie like this by using frame stamps or time stamps, and piece it back together without re-encoding it at all

show me a linear video editor that can do that and i will concede that it is better

losslesscut

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

losslesscut is literally a gui wrapper around ffmpeg that does one thing and one thing only*

lossless cutting

*also lossless merging

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sagebrush posted:

Beeftweeter you aren't wrong that ffmpeg is very powerful and quick for certain tasks but you're doing the same thing as the tedious dorks who insist you should code all your papers in LaTeX. visual editors are objectively better for visual media

Lmao @ memorizing time stamps and putting them into a CLI instead of scrubbing a playhead.

avidemux

lol i have bad news for you re: how editors do things

a list of timecodes is like one of the main things you have to deal with

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
like if you don't want to use it thats fine, but they literally asked me "why would someone want to use this"

if i tell you exactly how to do what you want and your response is "i dont want to do that" i cant help you :shrug:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
imagine reading yospos and poopooing one of the best cli apps of all time, hosed up trolling behavior

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

avidemux

without wading too deep into this quagmire, i suggested ffmpeg because it's a relatively simple way to bang a video file into another format/resolution/whatever without using an entire NLE suite to do it*.

if you don't find command line tools easy to use and you prefer using an editing suite instead, fill your boots. otoh, this is yospos and you sorta expect that people posting in here aren't terrified by the notion of command line switches

*i don't have davinci resolve or premier or vegas pro or whatever installed because the only things i ever need to do with video files are bang them into another format/resolution/whatever and i ca do that with a single executable and a couple switches

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They just don't want to admit that their 35% keyboard doesn't have a - or | key on it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

They just don't want to admit that their 35% keyboard doesn't have a - or | key on it.

lol

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

if you dont like ffmpeg or latex thats totally fine and normal and i wish you a happy and enjoyable posting career in pet island

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*opens cmd.exe*~
~*somehow overwrites boot sector with stream output*~

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm glad to see that the bar for "a single step of coding" is "typing words into a computer"

thankfully there are fairly feature rich video editors on ipad now, so you can use a touch screen for everything, start to finish, and never have to touch a keyboard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol imagine using a keyboard, for video editing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wait until you see how i use autocad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ew. Autocad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

just use losslesscut

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:hmmyes: https://mifi.github.io/lossless-cut/ :ocelot:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

if you dont like ffmpeg or latex thats totally fine and normal and i wish you a happy and enjoyable posting career in pet island

these own, who is the artist?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah, computer haters out of yospos!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

these own, who is the artist?

Dominique Ramsey Illustration
@euqinimodart / euqinimodart.tumblr.com

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i just want to be able to see what i am doing

get davinci resolve, OP, it’s free and as good as Adobe Premiere

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
when i worked at a planetarium, i would use ffmpeg to create the fulldome movies from the individual master images. it was the quickest way to turn 50,000 image files into a video with all the correct codec and frame rate stuff. I would also use it to make the necessary 7.1 audio to go with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCjoakhgdE

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

do utub shorts work here, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJxll9oS6ok

:allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

change fad to fud and make a buttcoin thread gang tag, imo

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

will this split a mkv into flac files, by chapter? that’s my current struggle with ffmpeg command line. I’m trying to get a concert bluray into audio, but I don’t want to deal with splitting it up by hand (bluray and mkv have chapters).

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

IUG posted:

will this split a mkv into flac files, by chapter? that’s my current struggle with ffmpeg command line. I’m trying to get a concert bluray into audio, but I don’t want to deal with splitting it up by hand (bluray and mkv have chapters).

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
AI-generated PC cases

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 21, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

you: help me get across this river
me: *simple instructions on how to build a bridge*
you: im gonna caulk the wagon

:rip:

there's already a bridge

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

IUG posted:

you can do this by scripting ffprobe and ffmpeg. i'm not going to bother typing it out because it's more than two lines which seems to be too much for people posting in yospos apparently

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

there's already a bridge

i mean sure a moldy log works too

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

has anyone made an ffmpreg joke before

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Getting some new piercings

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

rotor posted:

yeah thats what i had, it was good

Rokit really loved mine because he could lay in front of it since it got so drat warm.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1616800800474337281

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol poo poo thats cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bring back the space race era of design

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Poopelyse posted:

when i worked at a planetarium, i would use ffmpeg to create the fulldome movies from the individual master images. it was the quickest way to turn 50,000 image files into a video with all the correct codec and frame rate stuff. I would also use it to make the necessary 7.1 audio to go with them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCjoakhgdE

interesting coincidence — your mom helps me create full dome movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

IUG posted:

yes