Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Brain Issues posted:

Looks great! Well done & Merry Christmas to you!

What are those little nanoleaf type lights called that you have there?

Merry Christmas!

Corsair LC100

Corsair iCUE LC100 Case Accent Lighting Panels - Mini Triangle - 9X Tile Expansion Kit (81 RGB LEDs with Light Diffusion, Simple Magnetic Attachment) Clear https://a.co/d/6uScSQ1

I’m using one master tile on the first computer and I’m just branching off of both directions on it. This is not really what the documentation says you can do but it works great.

Other computer has 2 masters.

Yes I spent like $500 on RGB tiles what else am I going to do with all these sata plugs on my psu.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

The best of times the worst of times

Left my favorite jacket in a different country when I met up with my counterstrike team in ?2002 or something

Nice to think some weirdo foreign guy still be enjoying it somewhere :angel:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Smythe posted:

ah yes, you like? Zis is my counterstrike jacket

I got it from an American

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

spunkshui posted:

Yes I spent like $500 on RGB tiles what else am I going to do with all these sata plugs on my psu.

What we waste our money on is no one else’s business!!

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 25, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Smythe posted:

Ok Comboomer posted:

ah yes, you like? Zis is my counterstrike jacket

I got it from an American

The funniest poo poo about this is that I'm Canadian and I left it in the states so it's an American saying that~

I actually see some of those people online on steam sometimes just playing whatever game and it's crazy. This is like people I started playing with immediately after steam came out, like that week.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I don't know why i lived like this.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Do any of ya’ll have a sunset lamp/projector? They were a TikTok fad a while back and can be had on AliExpress for very cheap, but I imagine there’s option for similar lighting. I just don’t know what it is. Phillips Hue can do the color, but maybe not the intensity?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Barrel Cactaur posted:

I don't know why i lived like this.

Wtf how do you even post a picture like this

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Food Boner posted:

Wtf how do you even post a picture like this

Using Picsart.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a cheap KVM? I only need it for my USB keyboard and mouse since my monitors auto-switch. I have 3 monitors and during the work day, 2 are on my work laptop and 1 is on my work desktop. I frequently switch my attention between the 2 machines, so fast switching is important.

Importantly, the switch should be able to wake either machine from sleep in the morning.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Know how you can get picture frames that are way too big and add that big white carboard thing to fill up the empty space? I want to do that except with pictures I post online. Any tips?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nolgthorn posted:

Know how you can get picture frames that are way too big and add that big white carboard thing to fill up the empty space? I want to do that except with pictures I post online. Any tips?

Three Olives posted:

I agree, there are much better uses.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

that big white carboard thing to fill up the empty space

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Professor Wayne posted:

Pretty much what this guy said. Before I got my ultrawide, I used it to mainly show media, apps I don't need to focus on (email, IMs, etc.), or data to reference while I'm working on the main screens at eye level. Now my ultrawide can show so much at once, that I rarely use the top screen for anything practical. But I still really like having it up there for media.

And now I have a plant! And it hasn't died yet!

Speaking of filling up empty space, I've been tweaking my WFH setup over the holidays. I replaced my old speakers this week, and I think I'm done for a while. I'm really happy with it, other than the top TV obviously being overkill. I tried to justify it as a TV for guests to use when they crash on the sleeper sofa across the room. But literally every guest has opted to sleep on the main living room sofa. Maybe I'll work on replacing that TV for something more manageable when I feel like a new project. And most importantly, my plant is loving life!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of filling up empty space, I've been tweaking my WFH setup over the holidays. I replaced my old speakers this week, and I think I'm done for a while. I'm really happy with it, other than the top TV obviously being overkill. I tried to justify it as a TV for guests to use when they crash on the sleeper sofa across the room. But literally every guest has opted to sleep on the main living room sofa. Maybe I'll work on replacing that TV for something more manageable when I feel like a new project. And most importantly, my plant is loving life!

Does that mic boom retract? Great looking setup btw.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Your magazine tier photos are nice but please stop making those of us with hovels feel bad.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

VelociBacon posted:

Does that mic boom retract? Great looking setup btw.

Thank you! The mic stand only goes up and down. I have to scoot it closer to me during calls and stuff

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Your magazine tier photos are nice but please stop making those of us with hovels feel bad.

But the dank! The dank!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread, does anyone have a recommendation for VESA arms and mounts? My desk is only about 3 - 3.5' wide so I don't have enough room for two monitors, which would be really nice given I work from home. I'm thinking that if I had VESA arms I could position the monitors in a way that fits a bit better. Drilling into the desk is an option if need be, but there's a window behind my desk so wall mount won't work.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, does anyone have a recommendation for VESA arms and mounts? My desk is only about 3 - 3.5' wide so I don't have enough room for two monitors, which would be really nice given I work from home. I'm thinking that if I had VESA arms I could position the monitors in a way that fits a bit better. Drilling into the desk is an option if need be, but there's a window behind my desk so wall mount won't work.

I've used both North Bayou and Loop Alloy and North Bayou has been far better.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have my monitors set up like this (not my picture) and I much prefer it to side by side; it could work for a small desk:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Sm...C93&sr=8-3&th=1

It can clamps on, but it also allows you to use it with a through hole as well, which is how I have mine. I have two 24" on it, and it has worked well.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife has a 3.5' wide desk and uses dual 24" monitors on this Monoprice mount: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

It works fine but she never adjusts the monitor position so if you do that regularly then I'd pay for something nicer.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have my monitors set up like this (not my picture) and I much prefer it to side by side; it could work for a small desk:

Ditto, beware neck strain if your desk isn't particularly deep though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I asked in the chairs thread but it's definitely more appropriate here; what online retailers are out there that sell mid-to-high end computer desks? I'm looking for a nice L-Shaped desk that is equal length on both sides to replace my current one but it's tough finding one that fits the bill, but I also don't really know where to look beyond like amazon, wayfair, etc. so I don't know what's out there. There's some that come close on Amazon but those all look like they're such poo poo quality and replacing this desk is going to be an undertaking so I'd rather make a well informed purchase before starting the process.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They’re pricey but Ergotron arms are very nice. Bought mine as a direct bolt-through for the custom desk we bought over nine years ago, they haven’t dropped a mm.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

explosivo posted:

I asked in the chairs thread but it's definitely more appropriate here; what online retailers are out there that sell mid-to-high end computer desks? I'm looking for a nice L-Shaped desk that is equal length on both sides to replace my current one but it's tough finding one that fits the bill, but I also don't really know where to look beyond like amazon, wayfair, etc. so I don't know what's out there. There's some that come close on Amazon but those all look like they're such poo poo quality and replacing this desk is going to be an undertaking so I'd rather make a well informed purchase before starting the process.

I'm curious what "mid-to-high-end" means - are you talking about build quality? finish? utility? etc.

Since you said L Desk, I figured I'd throw out that I have a pair of these arranged in an L configuration:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...1OgMy:17h4h7aom

I've had one of them for 5+ years now, and the second was purchased in March 2020. Both have survived one move with zero issues.

They don't look fancy, but they're pretty sturdy and height adjustable; if my employer gave me the choice between this setup and a perfect replica of the Resolute Desk carved out of a single piece of mahogany, I'd take my desks in a heartbeat even though the other option is clearly a much finer piece of furniture. But! Everyone's tastes are different and/or want desks for different things, so that's just my opinion. Just trying to figure out what aspects you value the most.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have 7 of these in my house now:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...5070409835&th=1

Most are 5+ years old; ended up getting another just this week.

devmd01 posted:

They’re pricey but Ergotron arms are very nice. Bought mine as a direct bolt-through for the custom desk we bought over nine years ago, they haven’t dropped a mm.

Amusingly, the newest one of the above I purchased has "Patents Ergotron.com/patents" stamped into the back of the VESA plate; the older ones didn't have that :v: iirc there was some drama at one point that these things were just rebadged Ergotrons or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zarin posted:

I'm curious what "mid-to-high-end" means - are you talking about build quality? finish? utility? etc.

Sorry, that was unclear. I meant in terms of price, but even that doesn't make sense because the high end of desks are in the thousands of dollars. I think between $500-1000 is my range but haven't really found anything in that range that looked nice and stable or was in the shape I'm looking for.

And thanks for your link, for some reason I hadn't really considered getting two and pushing them together.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

explosivo posted:

Sorry, that was unclear. I meant in terms of price, but even that doesn't make sense because the high end of desks are in the thousands of dollars. I think between $500-1000 is my range but haven't really found anything in that range that looked nice and stable or was in the shape I'm looking for.

And thanks for your link, for some reason I hadn't really considered getting two and pushing them together.

As mentioned, you can get two desks and attach them together. There are Connecting Plates (really just little pieces of steel with holes) you can buy for cheap. Can also do the same with some 2x lumber, but it's probably cheaper to just get the steel plates now a days. Then it's down to leg adjustment to level it all out.

I would get one desk longer than the other for an L setup, just to off-set the space "lost" to the corner if you wanted equal length of desk space you can use.

By chance, are there any used office furniture stores around you? These places get furniture from businesses and resell them (usually it's places that go under, remodel, or now I'm seeing because of WFH). I've got 2 within an hour of me, and the quality of the stuff is like 90%+ new, but for a fraction of the cost. One place practically wholesales it, the other is about 50-60% of new, though they are "higher end". You might be able to find matching desktops and then get legs you like to sort of "build your own" (this is going off my experience with the two local here).

Might also take a look at Goodwill, especially if there is an Outlet version. They often get furniture in from businesses and hospitals and sell it for a few bucks. I've gotten quite a few things from the local one, including an electric sit/stand 5' desk for 2 bucks. They won't always have the stuff in stock, but it wouldn't hurt to swing by if there is one near you, and well, you can transport it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zarin posted:

I have 7 of these in my house now:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...5070409835&th=1

Most are 5+ years old; ended up getting another just this week.

Amusingly, the newest one of the above I purchased has "Patents Ergotron.com/patents" stamped into the back of the VESA plate; the older ones didn't have that :v: iirc there was some drama at one point that these things were just rebadged Ergotrons or something.

I have 2 of those and an Ergotron LX arm. The only difference I can find is that the Ergotron arm has a nicer finish on it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Sm...C93&sr=8-3&th=1

It can clamps on, but it also allows you to use it with a through hole as well, which is how I have mine. I have two 24" on it, and it has worked well.

I ended up buying this one and it should arrive this week, took nearly a week to ship. I've got a 32" and a 27" so I'm thinking about using the one over the other setup posted above. Now I just need to figure out how to make it easy to swap the top monitor between work laptop and personal desktop depending on time of day, since I don't have room for a separate work desk.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I ended up buying this one and it should arrive this week, took nearly a week to ship. I've got a 32" and a 27" so I'm thinking about using the one over the other setup posted above. Now I just need to figure out how to make it easy to swap the top monitor between work laptop and personal desktop depending on time of day, since I don't have room for a separate work desk.

If the monitor doesn't have a source switch built in, I'd look at an HDMI switche. Just flip it to the source you want when you need. That way you aren't trying to swap cable's, or even if has a Source button of some sort, you aren't having to reach to the monitor each time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It does have a source button, but would that tell the other computer that it's not active? I was thinking it would still think the monitor was active and have stuff going on the other monitor / my mouse getting lost on the other monitor because I'm dumb.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It does have a source button, but would that tell the other computer that it's not active? I was thinking it would still think the monitor was active and have stuff going on the other monitor / my mouse getting lost on the other monitor because I'm dumb.
That depends on the implementation, some monitors will turn off the presence signal when switching sources but others won't. You'd have to test, and you might even have options if it has a nice menu system. In general TVs tend to disable the presence signal when switching and monitors tend not to, but there are exceptions in both directions.

A dumb hardware switch would definitely cut off the presence signal.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My dad's been sick lately, so I've been spending more time at my parents' place than usual. I thought I would redo the "study" I set up over the garage in grad school and turn it into a more proper office space for working from there.

Before (kind of a shitshow)

After

The big adds are the Dordoni Worktop, Knoll Sapper monitor arm, and the Paradigm Mini Monitor v.4s I scooped for free.

Entertainment stack

Reading nook

Books, keepsakes, and Prospective Plan of the Battle of Lake George

Milo enjoying the heater

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 24, 2023

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Your heater gives me anxiety for that poor kitty.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm surprised the heater hasn't been knocked off the shelf yet

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Hot Pussy likes Danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Before (kind of a shitshow)

For a second there I thought that was a SPA942 and was shocked to see one still in service. A SPA525 is still ancient but doesn't really lack much other than gigabit and modern WiFi.