Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Second objection, Return of the King.

Fellowship is a very nice film though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fellowship is mostly great, the other two not so much.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
This reminds me of people discussing the Simpsons' golden age, which seems to get smaller and smaller with each discussion. I've seen someone unironically state that seasons 3-6 is the true golden age.

The LotR films' quality never drops below very good. Fellowship is the best one, but the other two are still fantastic both as films and adaptations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I recently rewatched the trilogy again, and with the benefit of time, removal from the hype that came with their release, and the knowledge of the advancements made in filmmaking since then, I can definitely say that..... the trilogy loving rules it's so good I love it so much, hell yeah Lord of the Rings hell yeah you're the best, God bless, no notes.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I've rewatched both the regular and extended trilogies recently.

Fellowship is clearly the best in both forms.

Two towers drags and especially so extended.

Return if the king is great, the ending(s) are perfect which I think makes them work so well, but most of the extended stuff in it is awful.

Still an excellent trilogy, but two towers just feels a bit off

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I eagerly await the next level of dunking on Rings of Power by watching people turn into Hobbit trilogy apologists and insist that actually it has heart and soul and was misunderstood not like me with my galaxy brain who happened to never mention it the last decade.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Szmitten posted:

I eagerly await the next level of dunking on Rings of Power by watching people turn into Hobbit trilogy apologists and insist that actually it has heart and soul and was misunderstood not like me with my galaxy brain who happened to never mention it the last decade.

No one is depraved enough to say the Hobbit movies were good.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Some people say if you cut them up into scenes and stick them together into 2x2 hour movies they're good. But practically that just means "there are some good scenes" which is probably true for any movie with such a budget.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i wish the hobbit could be down in some pocket universe as a first movie and not a prequel sequel that felt the need to escalate the epicness of the trilogy

I could get a Misty Mountains song that was jolly and festive instead of a Gregorian vapefest

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Peachfart posted:

No one is depraved enough to say the Hobbit movies were good.

I can almost like the first one if you ignore things like the goblins' musical number and the fact it just keeps going but I tapped out super early in the second on an attempt at a re-watch.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

if you ignore things like the goblins' musical number

why would you ignore the good parts?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fellowship is the only good LOTR adaptation, with the exception of Rings of Power.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

keep punching joe posted:

Fellowship is the only good LOTR adaptation, with the exception of Rings of Power.

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LOTR trlogy rules, hobbit movies sucked, ROP was average with good to great parts and will either improve or become a total disaster

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they should do more edits of the Hobbit trilogy but only keeping the shittier scenes

Moltke posted:

rumor has it they are adding tom bombadil next season.

now that's the kind of desperate fanservice for the meme crowd that can save a series

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

RVT posted:

I like the angle that the LotR trilogy is sorta begrudgingly better than RoP, overall.

LotR being the most critically acclaimed and decorated trilogy in all of cinema.

I’m rewatching the movies and obviously they’re miles ahead of the show, but there’s a lot of stuff in them doesn’t make sense either.

Of course, the movies get away with it because everything else is so fantastically well done whereas the show is just average so it makes the nit-picky stuff even more aggravating.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

pidan posted:

Some people say if you cut them up into scenes and stick them together into 2x2 hour movies they're good. But practically that just means "there are some good scenes" which is probably true for any movie with such a budget.

I saw an edit like this that was fairly recommended, but for a first-time viewer they definitely leave out a lot of important contextual scenes.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
can't wait for the Rings of Power fanedits

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

YaketySass posted:

can't wait for the Rings of Power fanedits

Here's my fan edit, saved SO much time

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

BB2K posted:

Objection: the two towers

The Two Towers extended is probably my favorite of the trilogy, love the Rohan story line and Helms Deep is like still the best medieval battle ever filmed.

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

Here's my fan edit, saved SO much time

Lol at how small Mount Doom looks there, almost like an ant hill or something. I get that its supposed to be many miles far off in the distance, but something about the way its rendered just looks really off.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Gresh posted:

Lol at how small Mount Doom looks there, almost like an ant hill or something. I get that its supposed to be many miles far off in the distance, but something about the way its rendered just looks really off.

It makes it look like Mt Doom is located in the bottom of a valley instead of in the middle of a great plain.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
The year end nielsen ratings are in and the result is... mixed? Also snubbed at the golden globes and other awards. Maybe it will do better at the emmys from a technical standpoint?

Season 2 will happen but i'm honestly worried what will happen to the IP at this point. There seems to be little to justify the price tag and inevitably, whether s3 or beyond, this can spell a right-sizing of the budget or worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seems like if Amazon's victory condition was to have a pop-cultural hit on their hands on the scale of Jackson/LotR, this is an utter flop.

If otoh Bezos is going to fund it one way or the other for purely personal reasons ...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Supposedly, completing the 5 season run with a certain minimum budget was a condition of the sale… but yeah, if they can’t improve pop culture reception with Season 2 then it’s hard to see the Middle Earth getting prestige budget projects for a while.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So is this worth a watch? It seems to have happened and haven't seen or heard much buzz recommending it or anticipating where they'll go with it. Same boat as that GoT prequel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

So is this worth a watch? It seems to have happened and haven't seen or heard much buzz recommending it or anticipating where they'll go with it. Same boat as that GoT prequel.

It's fine. Give it a try to see how well the things it does well align with your tastes and the things it does poorly you're willing to tolerate. Maybe stick with it for two episodes. If you don't like it, drop it. There's no big moment where it suddenly gets better or worse.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Watch the GoT prequel

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

It's fine. Give it a try to see how well the things it does well align with your tastes and the things it does poorly you're willing to tolerate. Maybe stick with it for two episodes. If you don't like it, drop it. There's no big moment where it suddenly gets better or worse.

Agreed, it's fine, but I do think the episodes from 3 on are better than the first two. The tone is different and the plots make a bit more sense. But it's true that most of the good and bad parts become obvious pretty soon, so if you can't stand the first two eps, no need to stick around.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just watch it and see what you think. Nerds gonna complain about everything. I think there's an old proverb, "I thought I liked this but then I checked Reddit"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, best to try it yourself. IMO the show excelled and visual and musical dazzle and was mostly well cast. It did pretty poorly in terms of grounding it’s logic and conveying a concrete sense of time and space. The dramatic character work varies a lot between narrative threads. Stuff with dwarves or Elrond tends to be great, other stuff not so much.

So, real hard to give a straight recommendation for or against the show. The strengths outweighed the weaknesses for me, but not for much of the internet.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
how did the show do in terms of numbers, did they go broke due to woke?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

People will debate what doing well meant, given the budget and brand. It did really well relative to other streaming debuts, especially internationally. Everyone involved in advertising and producing the show got big promotions at Amazon, campaign leader was made head of the advertising department, producer was made head of Prime productions. That might indicate Amazon is as happy with the numbers as they say they are.

But it didn’t do numbers on par with HotD or late seasons of GoT. Since this can be viewed as a followup to the LotR and Hobbit trilogies, it could be considered a disappointment by that of being a continuation of a franchise rather than a premiere. It also doesn’t seem to have the cultural impact of either those films or GoT and it isn’t drawing awards. So if amazon was looking for prestige or renown, it didn’t land.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

how did the show do in terms of numbers, did they go broke due to woke?

Woke had nothing to do with it. This show was just kinda boring.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Peachfart posted:

Woke had nothing to do with it. This show was just kinda boring.

well it is lord of the rings

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Bugblatter posted:

People will debate what doing well meant, given the budget and brand. It did really well relative to other streaming debuts, especially internationally. Everyone involved in advertising and producing the show got big promotions at Amazon, campaign leader was made head of the advertising department, producer was made head of Prime productions. That might indicate Amazon is as happy with the numbers as they say they are.

But it didn’t do numbers on par with HotD or late seasons of GoT. Since this can be viewed as a followup to the LotR and Hobbit trilogies, it could be considered a disappointment by that of being a continuation of a franchise rather than a premiere. It also doesn’t seem to have the cultural impact of either those films or GoT and it isn’t drawing awards. So if amazon was looking for prestige or renown, it didn’t land.

appreciate this post fyi

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

show bad

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Vox Machina is probably 100x more effective at world-building, establishing stakes, and most importantly creating fully realized characters that inhabit said world while working with maybe 1/100,000th the budget that RoP got.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It's good, don't listen to the dorks who pontificate on about how amazing the terminally boring house of the dragon or endor were. Just go with it and enjoy all the dumb poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol imagine thinking andor was boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Andor was probably my favorite show last year. So I guess according to that guy you shouldn’t listen to me when I say RoP was pretty fun.